[pnpgm] Game Update #46 - File #188 - Duel Preparation

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed May 14 08:48:47 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #46 in sequence (file #188)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar will practice his survival skills during the journey
          towar dthe floating castle.  He will watch Chion's duel with
          interest, and will try to hide his distaste for the use of
          spells in what should be a clean fight.  He feels pity for
          Zing, who has apparently led a cursed life.  But he also sees
          redeeming qualities in the man, who is willing to stand up and
          claim his honor or die in the attempt. When Chion glances his
          direction, he nods as if to say, "Give this little man honor in
          death."

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion replies, smiling, "Zing, my old friend. There would be no
          greater feeling I could have than the joy I would get from
          settling the conflict between us. A conflict brought about by
          your own incompetancy with the magical arts. By you breaking a
          rule we all know is sacred here. I would want to see your eyes
          when I did so, close quarters it is. And anyone  can referee,
          but I chose a person who would be ultimately honest in  his
          interpretation of a winner. Caladan. He knows both sides of
          this  conflict well. And no teleportation? You make me laugh.
          HA! You must have heard of how I destroyed the former owner of
          this ring (holding up his closed fist with the ring on it). But
          you are no immortal lemassu. So heed my words now, if you wish
          a duel, you have it. If you wish to win, you should have chosen
          someone else to mess with!"  Chion will look at his friends,
          wondering where the Sorceress is. Wondering if this is just a
          delay tactic while someone else explores the castle. Wondering
          if its just an (by the Sorceress?) attempt to get him to expend
          some magical energy before the trip. A delay tactic. In that
          case he will go for the quick win (timestop, wounds, and a
          martial blow to the head).

          (this may change to simply using fascination on the poor Zing
          and making him a thrall for life, I haven't really decided yet)

        [Marqi 30th, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        [Time: 12:42pm]

        [Chion looks back at the party to see their reaction to this
         new threat.  Most are impassive it seems.  This is all new
         to the party.  In Marentian Knights commonly duel each other
         in silly horse contests or sword fights.  Typically many
         lead to death but its more a skill prowess event.  This is
         more a way to show dominance in magic and status. It is
         the easiest way to gain status here.  When one becomes
         master level usually training a set of apprentices and
         passes the High Elder's respect he can challenge for land.
         But presently the entire Dark Lands is owned by someone of
         the realm.  Rumors abound on expansionion to the north, south
         and west.  The tension on this leads to the Expansist group
         developing in secret though all know it exists.  Ki'ama
         tolerates it as long as they don't go through with their plans
         of conquest.  It is a uneasy alliance with control going
         to Ki'ama and his sheer power.]

        [Ben'dar hopes that Chion picks the close quarters battle.
         Fighting at distance even with bows on horseback is
         more a cowardly way out of things to the Zen'da.  He feels
         for the kid who has to stand up to regain his honor but
         is proud to see him do so.  When Chion looks at Ben'dar
         he nods as if to say, "Give this little man honor in death."]

        [Chion turns back to Zing and moves his head back from the
         bad breath Zing is snorting.  Smiling he replies.]

        Chion: "Zing, my old friend. There would be no greater feeling I
          could have than the joy I would get from settling the conflict
          between us. A conflict brought about by your own incompetency
[...]

        [Zing stares at Chion and seems to stammer his initial words.
         He glances at Zhou and back at the party.  Kee who translated
         for Zhou is near the party translating what Chion is saying.]

        Zing: "I don't know of what you speak of this immortal person.
          But he must've been weak for you to handle or you got lucky.
          As to your friend, Caladan, no outsider can Referee this duel."

        Zhou: "Actually the rules say nothing of the sort.  It has
          never been done.  When Sven joined our ranks High Elder
          Ki'ama appended some of the rules with the wizard's permission.
          There is nothing against it because its not in the rules."

        Zing: "Then..then..I...fine..." [He glances at Caladan who
          seems a bit shocked to be named Referee.] "He is obviously
          a barbarian he likely can't understand the rules.  We
          fight today in a few minutes." [he turns and storms away
          down the path toward the citadel gate.  He stops and
          looks back.] "Today the High Elder will see one of us fall
          and one of us rise.  If you get lucky and take me out
          you will only make me stronger." [He storms off away from
          earshot.]

        Zhou: "Defiant to the end.  Even using that silly myth of
          death and strength.  Clearly he is infected with brain fever."

        [Caladan walks forward a bit pale on his face.]

        Caladan: "Why me?"

        [Chion turns and smiles a knowing smile.]

        Zhou: "You can understand a few set of rules?"

        Caladan: "Yes."

        Zhou: "Good.  You and Kee come this way I'll go over the basic
          rules.  Chion you better prepare."

        [Chion knows that fighting in the citadel isn't allowed.  That
         leaves outside the citadel in the lake district.  He begins
         to walk down the small path as the party follows with murmurs
         and whispers of doubt.]

        [Oby ushers a guard and they follow the party down the path.
         Chion leaves the citadel and notices a slew of covered
         wagons of various sizes from the smaller servant ones holding
         supplies to the large noble ones that could hold a family
         of 6 in them with bedding.  It seems some nobles are still
         here from the wedding.  Chion and the party head to a clearing
         and wait.  Oby and the guard are joined by a servant who
         gives Oby chalk.  Oby then forms a 10 foot diameter circle.
         Meanwhile Zhou and Kee quickly cover the basic rules and
         customs of the fight.]

        Zhou: "...and no weapons allowed.  Actually no physical contact
          is allowed even in close quarter combat.  This is a fight
          of magic only.  If touch is done that person loses 3 seconds
          of action.  The other person essentially gets a free attack.
          Leaving the ring also makes that person lose the time and
          must remain still doing nothing.  But if the person is thrown
          out of the ring by magical force it doesn't penalize that
          person only if the person steps out or is thrown out
          by physical force...."

        [Zing steps into the ring and the guard goes over and a servant
         brings a box.  Zing begins to remove weapons from his person.
         He removes 2 smaller throwing daggers and one fighting dagger.
         The Guard then uses his magic detector to scan for magical
         items on his person.  But he reports none.  Which surprises
         the party that Zing uses no magical aids.  A stupid thing
         or a brave one.]

        [Chion steps into the chalked ring on the grass and notices
         many people are forming up.  He glances at the party and notices
         Novassa and Sven standing by one wagon.  A servant seems to
         take a bag of coins from Sven and Chion figures they are
         betting on the match.  A common thing here when duels come
         about.  Chion then notices the Sorceress's wagon by her
         guards.  The wagon is dark but Chion suspects she is sitting
         inside watching the new challenge.  This seems confirmed when
         a servant comes with a wine glass.  Chion glances north
         and looks at the manor.  He suspects Ki'ama is also watching
         from a window or his tower or with some other way.]

        [Zhou, Kee and Caladan walk forward and Zhou speaks.]

        Zhou: "Caladan is ready.  The contestants are ready.  Final
          bets please!  Make final bets!  A Keute has been called
          by Magician Zing and Magician Chion has accepted for
          close quarters combat.  Restrictions have been defined.
          Please gentlemen make this a clean fight.  No killing
          of the Referee."

        [Caladan does a double take and looks at Zhou.  Kee leans
         in and whispers.]

        Kee: "Sorry it has happened when they don't think about their
          area effect spells.  Just stand on the edge of the circle.
          Remember you can enter to judge the fight from a different
          view but be careful.  Everyone else will be standing a good
          20 or so feet back.  Trust me we've only lost three or
          four Referee's before."

        Caladan: "Gee thanks."

        Kee: "No problem."

        [Kee goes over to the party and leans in with Ben'dar.]

        Kee: "Anyone want to bet?" [He grins]

        Zhou: "You two know the rules and most everyone else does as
          well.  What Caladan judges is final as declared Referee.
          Caladan will count from three then say go.  On go you
          will cast your first magical spell of attack or defense."

        [Zhou then bows and steps back.  The guard goes over to
         Chion and asks him to remove all his gear.  Chion places
         the sais, sword, and staff into a separate box.  The
         guard then uses his magical device to scan and he points
         to magical items.  Chion removes his magical ring, amulet,
         and magical belt.  Now Chion is only chion with no magical
         items on his person as is Zing.]

        Guard: "Want me to take your cloak?"

        [Caladan comes forward as the guard closes the box and lifts
         it up to finish.]

        [Chion wonders if he should make death plans with the party
         like who will get his home and such...]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Friday...

        GM: I know I'd said update Friday.  But with Chion posting,
            I can get it going faster.  I still can accept other
            player actions on the trip, audience and such as normal.

        GM: Don't forget the map on the website if you've not seen it.

        GM: Schedule of future Updates
            Marqi 30 - 3pm - 6pm - Travel east
            Marqi 31 - All Day   - Travel east
            Ma     1 - All Day   - Travel east

            [Course if Chion dies then plans might change dramatically.]

        GM: Trip plans (as note for myself)

            Ben'dar -      2 days Survival skill practice

        GM: Chion name your opening spell.  I will handle this as one
            phase of action.  One of you may be slightly slower or
            faster than the other.  But both will start at the same
            time.  I will do the first phase of attack on Friday
            and report results.  You can open with a defense or
            attack spell.