[pnpgm] Game Update #42b - File #169 - Party meets High Elder

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri May 2 08:37:13 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #42b in sequence (file #169)

     Admin notes: Part 2 of 2 for Game Update.

               [None - In Last part]

        [Marqi 29th, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: High Elder's Domain, Dark Lands, North-East
           corner of continent, center of Dark Lands.]

        [Time: 12:09pm]

        [The room the party is now in is called the Throne room though
         the High Elder is not known to hold a court.  It's mainly an
         audience room for dealing with Domain issues and problems. The
         room is 26 by 24 feet wide.  Small compared to the large throne
         room in Marentia where it can be 5 times larger. The party is a
         big confused by the whole security procedure and searches.  But
         it must be a good way for them to learn of possible threats.  In
         a land of wizards with magic that could do wonders it's best to
         know ahead of time. In a palace like King Maros's in Maren city
         weapons are seized, little else is done in terms of security.
         Even then some nobles are allowed weapons in court.  Unali when
         she spent time in the court, couple months ago, saw it as a
         confusing sign of security.  Even after King Maros was kidnapped
         by Timon, Xian's brother, he took little attention to security
         against magics and wizards.  But here it is reversed.  Little is
         given to weapons but great amount of security is against magic
         and wizards.]

        [Arawn finds the whole security issue conflicting as in his
         parent's court intents were known well in advance.  Most gods
         have some form of honor and if a challenge was to be made they
         announced it.  Gods do war against each other but they do have
         rules.  One would not try to lower themseelves to hire an assassin
         to kill a god if that was even possible.  Ben'dar finds the whole
         security a waste of time as on the plains children carried
         weapons.  When adults met they met with arms intertwined so no
         one could draw on each other.  The custom of greeting prevents
         accidents.  Chion on the other hand is used to the security but
         has noted a slight increase in it since the last time he has
         come.  Namely the citadel guard towers weren't manned by 3 as
         now but by mostly 1 then.  Of course it could just be the
         wedding. Fremea finds the whole security procedures odd as well
         in that a skilled person could probably bypass them.  Why would
         they risk asking an outsider to scan their own security if they
         weren't confident in it?  Of course there is the whole possible
         test and trap theory but if they can sense magic on person's why
         not on walls? They must trust her enough to risk the power of her
         scans to not let them down.  Raban found the whole body search
         degrading.  Sure he has had to walk into estates and searched
         before.  There are always naive and paranoid nobles out there.
         But when the guard had to get a small stool to stand on that was
         a bit much as the guard searched the top of Raban.  Of all the
         people Unali is one the most used to security.  She has dealt
         with it in Marentian as a short term spy to Katai just entering
         a bath house where nobles may be.  Z'leyra finds the whole
         process a waste of time.  Any skilled wizard could probably
         bypass it all.  But those scanners are quite unique and powerful
         tools.  Though anyone with skills in detection and permanent
         magics could rig up a few but it would take time collecting
         various gems and jewels and placing all the various conditions
         onto the object.  It must've taken a long time.]

        [The room has enough cushioned satin seats to sit 12 but 10 now
         sit in the room with Kwat standing in the rear. The "Throne" is
         a large black stone that seems to reflect the torchlight in hues
         of red, orange and yellows.  The seat has large arm rests and
         under the High Elder is a gray wrap from back to floor where red
         silk cushions sit.  The arm rests seem to twinkle with gems that
         are inset into the tip of the arm rests.  It seems all color of
         jewels are represented on the arm rests that are likely for some
         magical purpose.  Light in the room is done by magical torches on
         stands that give off no smoke or heat just magical light.  The
         carpet is a mild white color.  As the party sit and wait for
         others to take their seats the walls seem to shift.  Two large
         tapestries hang on each east and west wall.  The first image was
         the High Elder seemingly giving some speech to a large crowd on
         the left.  To the right was a image of some wizard battling a
         large beast that stands probably 12 feet.  Now the left shows a
         female wizard gesturing and the still image shows a storm
         approaching some castle.  The right now shows a male wizard
         using some form of magic to move stones and debris from what
         looks like a disaster area to rescue people trapped under stones
         and such.  The party figures the magical tapestries to show
         scenes of Katai history to those who come in and it must change
         all the time.  Probably how Katai life would be if the magic
         was allowed there.  The still images could also be just scenes
         from past or hopeful Dark Lands events.]

        [As Sven Redhand sits down he taps Ben'dar on the shoulder and
         whispers in Zen'dali.]

        Sven: "Nice to see you again."

        [Ben'dar is surprised he knows Zen'dali but likely didn't want to
         reveal that in their earlier meeting or just wanted to play with
         Kee translating the conversation.]

        [The High Elder sits with his hands folded in a calm manner on
         his lap.  He waits for everyone to sit.  From what the party saw
         at the dance he stands over 6 foot tall and about 130 pounds or
         so.  He is one of the oldest humans in the land it seems looking
         in his early 80s.  He wears gray robes that are simple with little
         flair.  Sandals on his feet seem odd for such a powerful person
         but he looks very humble with them on.  It looks like a chain
         hangs down his neck into his robes where a necklace or something
         else may hang.  His gray hair is smooth and well groomed.  His
         blue and slightly graying eyes seem to twinkle at delight in
         seeing Chion and the others.  He raises a hand and speaks.]

        Elder: "Hello and welcome to my home."

        [The party is surprised to find him speak that in Zen'dali.  Then
         the party is more shocked when he repeats the same in Marentian.]

        Elder: "I have learned your common language of Marentian in order
          to communicate."

        [Sven grabs something from a pouch and holds it in his hands and
         it looks like a talisman.  Kwat comes forward and gives Kiet a
         device that looks like the same.  Kwat whispers to him to tap
         the center twice in order to understand the High Elder.  Kiet
         fears nothing and taps the device so he can understand Marentian.
         Kiet figures that is what Sven is also doing.]

        Elder: "Now I assume everyone can understand me?"

        [He waits for nods and no one doesn't seem not to understand him.
         He nods then taps a gem on his arm rest and Oby enters the room
         with a tray followed by a servant with another tray.]

        Elder: "Please eat and drink something to break your fast.  We
          have much to discuss and I rather like alert people well
          nourished."

        [As the food of hot bread, cookies and some fruit is given with
         small plates to those who wish it mugs of ale, tea, or wine is
         offered.  Once everyone is asked to get something if they wish
         the 2 leave the room again.]

        [The High Elder lifts his own crystal wine glass and drinks his
         red wine then taps another jewel.  Arawn and Fremea seem to feel
         their hairs on the back of the necks rise as energy surges around
         the room of some kind.]

        Elder: "What we say here today will be kept in here from outside
          eyes and will not be taken outside of this room." [He doesn't
          seem to wait for anyone to argue his subtle threat but seems
          confident that no one will share much outside the room.] "I am
          very honored you all can attend this meeting in your busy life.
          You may address me as Elder Ki'ama.  We are informal today.
          Sven knows why he is here and I believe some of you know him or
          has seen him. I understand Ben'dar has talked to him briefly."

        [Ki'ama turns to Kiet's direction and smiles.]

        Elder: "Kiet you may wonder why you have been summoned here.  I
          have been quite happy with your skills as entertainer. Fear not.
          Do you recall a incident about three weeks ago where you
          stumbled upon a warehouse and found a group of men and women
          there?  You were escorted away by some men and you were able
          to escape?" [Kiet nods faintly in the recalling of the event.]
          "It seems you stumbled upon a secret cult that thanks to you
          we've discovered and have been watching.  My people discovered
          them shadowing you and felt it strange so we investigated
          further.  It led back to the warehouse and we used magic to
          reveal what all went down.  The actual meeting we could not use
          magic on as it was wiped clean by magic to prevent the viewing.
          It seems they didn't want any witness to the incident and
          finally decided when you got here to the citadel that you might
          talk.  The snake we figure was planted to kill you.  Thanks to
          Raban here that plan failed.  Then this morning at the wedding
          my guards report a man was nearly ready to kill you at a table
          but they got to him first and escorted him away.  We are in the
          process of learning who his friends are and rounding them up for
          questions.  We don't mind groups assembling even in this village
          but when they conspire to kill a visitor is when we deal with
          it.  I feel for the next few days you'll be safer with this
          band of men and women.  I hope this does not hinder your future
          plans in the area.  I do apologize for any trouble it may cause.
          I learned that you were shipwrecked on our east coast and I feel
          obliged to keep you safe while we deal with this problem.  Of
          course you could stay as a guest in our citadel but I feel you'll
          be safer with these friends on their future plans."

        [He waits for some form of reaction from Kiet and then drinks
         more of his wine.  He waits to see if Kiet wishes not to join
         the party. He nods and then spreads his arms wide and palms
         out in a sign of peace and welcome.

        [He looks at Arawn and folds his hands in a prayer sign and nods
         to the Alfar.]

        Elder: "Arawn I am pleased to have the honor of your presence here.
          It is not everyday we get the son of gods here.  Your wisdom and
          grace gives my home the light it deserves in the wake of
          darkness.  I have never been to your realm of the Gods but hope
          in death some day I will get there to learn their wisdom.  There
          are some that believe magic comes directly from the gods
          channeled by them.  This is why priests and druids like yourself
          are so valuable in this realm.  Man must have their proper say
          and the gods should have their say as well.  But then there are
          others who believe magic comes from within." [he touches his
          heart and then head.] "From the soul and mind of our body.  That
          all creatures have magic innately to us but not all know how to
          touch it.  This is why some are more gifted than others in magic,
          while others never know of magic. Here in the Dark Lands we have
          both beliefs and it seems most are leaning to the non-god view.
          While you are here I wish to convey that this is only a belief
          in some and in no way means to offend yourself.  It is rare to
          see an Elf know the Druidic arts.  Usually that is a Human trait.
          But it makes sense how your kind has such reverence for the
          forest that your kind would do well as Druids.  Why you are
          here in our realm I have no idea and its not my business.  But
          I wish I could have a way for you to communicate with your
          parents.  Sadly,  I have none that would not be dangerous.
          You probably know better ways than I do in this area.  Please
          convey my peace to your parents."

        [He waits a few moments for any reaction and if there are none he
         moves on to Chion or if there are some he will deal with it.  At
         Chion he smiles and his cheeks bulge from the sly grin.]

        Elder: "Chion!  It is nice to see you again.  Your skill in the
          Teleport magic is legendary now.  Very impressive. Soon you may
          be sought out by the gods in this area for their own use good or
          bad.  It happens when a wizard gets powerful in one spell. It gets
          to their attention. Some seek those out for their own will or to
          destroy them fearing them.  I hope my message got to you with
          plenty of time to get here.  I have been watching you.  You have
          grown so much in the last few years.  From being self-centered
          to helping.  Just the attack on your friend Unali shows you
          went to capture the killer to help your friend.  This is what
          I was hoping to see in you years ago.  I am glad to see the
          change.  Correl has done a good job in teaching you since you
          were just 13.  I know he is very proud of you and so am I.  But
          I asked you here specifically for your rather unique talents.  I
          will explain more in a few minutes.  I see from your bone thing
          that you have learned to become a shaman.  You are leaving the
          path of wizard magic for the more down to earth magics?"

        [After a brief pause for any reaction he moves onto the next
         person sitting next to Arawn - Caladan.]

        Elder: "Caladan, I believe your the first of such high tribal
          status to visit here.  There is another wizard who used to
          have a Firesnake before it died.  It is nice to see another
          one.  how are you feeling after your recent problem on the
          plains?"

        [Caladan looks to Arawn then back confused.  Could He know of
         his death on the plains or the trouble being with the Bova?]

        Caladan: "I am honored to be here as well sir.  As to how  I am
          doing it gets better each day."

        Elder: "Quite.  I knew your master Woundendal a long time ago.
          He is a very impressive man who refused to join us here long
          ago.  Of course he did copy my idea of getting my land spring
          year round with his valley magic.  But he did ask first. Tell
          him I said hello next time you see him and tell him he still
          owes me that Tome he said he would find for me."

        Caladan: "Yes I will.  I didn't know you knew him."

        [The High Elder nods then moves on to Z'leyra sitting on the far
         right next to Chion.  His smile seems to fade slightly.]

        Elder: "Z'leyra our multi-faceted gem.  We here in the Dark Lands
          tend to believe that learning one path is the best way to gain
          knowledge.  While I admit I don't know your culture's beliefs
          but why learn so many hats?  A Wizard. An Enchanter.  An Armorer.
          A shaman.  A Healer.  A warrior. Doesn't all those skill areas
          spread you thin in all the areas?  It is a strange concept to
          our way of life here.  If it works for you though more power to
          you.  I understand you wish to open a school of healing.  To help
          society is a noble cause and I wish you all the luck in that
          area.  Just keep in mind that the best wizard-enchanter in the
          east, Kum Xing, depended too much on his magic items.  He had
          ten magical rings, magic armor and weapons.  He had amulets and
          talismans.  Yet he was killed in a simple duel by magic that
          bypassed all those protection and defenses.  His weakness was
          his dependency and the one to duel him knew this.  Keep this in
          mind that the best magic is from the mind and heart to figure out
          solutions to things rather than depend on things to fix problems.
          Wisdom will beat any magic any day.  Grow in that area and your
          soul will welcome it.  I spent time talking to Corona and he is
          a quite intelligent bird.  He speaks highly of yourself.  I
          sense though he is seeking knowledge from something but maybe
          one day he will find what he is looking for."

        [He waits for a possible reply and then moves on after any reply
         and reaction.  Z'leyra finds the comments slightly insulting and
         condescending but many have told her the same thing in the past.
         Clearly the Elder has been studying her for some reason.  She
         waits for a pause then as directed now that she has been
         spoken to she speaks up. She stands and gives a deep bow toward
         the old wizard, holding it for several seconds.]

        Z'leyra: "I am honored to be in your presence Oh Learned Master
          of Magical Arts. I bring with me my best wishes and the hope
          that you might better deal with a magical item that caused
          some trouble far to the west in the lands of the Zen'da. This
          magical item, a Claw, has defenses that have kept me from
          unraveling its secrets and has proven dangerous in its ability
          to possess those who touch it. It was used to evil purpose by a
          wizard who used it to control animals, many animals. Fortunately
          the wizard shall trouble the lands no more. I hope that you
          could be a safer guardian of the Claw than I or may even have
          the ability to destroy the item safely. If you choose to do so
          I will have the item fetched when you wish."

        Elder: "Yes. The Claw.  Oby told me you turned it over to him.
          I will study it while I have some free time."

        [Z'leyra notices a slight twinkle in his eyes like he knows
         more than he is letting on.  Z'leyra sits and notices Ben'dar
         looking at her.  He is surprised to see her turn over the
         Claw to the High Elder.]

        [The High Elder moves back to the left and behind Arawn to Fremea.]

        Elder: "Fremea it is an honor to have a Faerry here.  I had Oby
          search the records.  I think we have had only three other Faerry
          to get this far east.   Quite rare for your kind.  It is
          fascinating to watch you in action.  I am sad to hear of your
          attack by the creature last night. If I knew it was going to
          happen I'd have never asked Zhou to ask you for the favor.  For
          that I am sorry. How you got out of the mess was quite
          fascinating as well. Your spirit must be strong to sustain such
          a major wound. You must have the touch of the divine on you."

        [He waits for any possible reaction and Fremea listens to the words.
         She wonders if he is telling the truth but he seems sincere.
         Chion did mention the High Elder does tests occasionally on his
         apprentices and masters.  Entropy is a way of life to keep chaos
         and order in check, it seems.   Of course the Fae know it well.
         Being mischievous they like to throw a hammer into human affairs
         and watch the humans scramble.  His eyes then dart to Unali.]

        Elder: "Unali of Katai.  Our native sees how the naughty northern
          folks are doing.  I hope you spread that we aren't blood thirsty
          fools who wish to eat children at the drop of a hat.  I hope you
          tell your family down in Katai that we seek only knowledge and
          magic is a tool to that end.  In some ways we live side by side
          with people who in other lands would kill each other by a mere
          glance.  Law would shatter Chaos and vice versa. Here we learn
          harmony in order for Knowledge to be gained.  Yet in a civilized
          culture as Katai they can't seem to live in harmony.  Katai
          people live with crime, caste issues and political trials that
          rip our homeland to shreds.  I hope our way of life can one day
          help all Katai to live in peace.  But that will never happen
          until they support magic.  Maybe you will be the first emissary
          to spread our word and our work to the homeland.  I am quite
          pleased to see you survive your attack back in the bar as well."

        [He sips his wine and waits for any reply before moving on to
         Raban. Unali is confused as to how he knows of the attack details.
         Did someone tell him?]

        Elder: "Raban my tall gentle giant.  I have enjoyed your pipe
          playing greatly.  It is nice to see a different southern twist
          to the instrument.  I hear from many  of the females they also
          caught your eye.  I am glad you decided to join this group.
          Your skills will be greatly appreciated.  I know how to sing
          and play some musical instruments as well but not as well as
          you do.  Maybe I will listen to more of it soon."

        [He nods and then waits for any reply before moving on to Ben'dar.]

        Elder: "Ben'dar the fierce horse rider.  I spent time last night
          looking over Tef'wo is it?  He is a very nice horse.  One of the
          best in these parts for sure. You should be proud of him.  I
          did try to examine the necklace on him as it intrigued me but
          he refused.  I sense its something special though.  You are a
          strange warrior in that you seek battle at the drop of a hat.
          Yet we see your gentle side in opening up the ranch to help
          horses.  You have learned a well balance between life of combat
          and peace.  I hope that life continues as too much combat can
          harden a person's heart.  Before that happens you should return
          home before your soul is lost."

        [He waits for any possible reaction before he continues.]

        [The High Elder places the wine on his arm rest and folds his
         hands.  He looks a bit more serious as his face eye wrinkles
         twinkle in the light.  His eyes dart back and forth from person
         to person as if planning his next statement.]

        Elder: "I had hoped to meet the other members of this group like
          Farseeker, Xian and Strie'bog.  But it seems they could not or
          would not come.  Sad.  You may ask how I know so much about each
          of you.  It is no secret that I am one for isolation in this
          region.  Keeping our privacy and our niche of civil government
          alive is top in my plans.  It is also no secret that some in
          our midst like the Sorceress seek us to go out and conquer lands
          like Katai and the Zen'da plains to name a few. The group that
          wishes us to use our magic as power and as a weapon wish for us
          to spread out and grow.  All the land here is owned or used by
          someone and so the argument is that new land is needed for our
          people who are up and coming.  I know that eventually I may not
          be able to stop this movement.  One day I may die or lose control
          and then the region will see magic used in war on a scale not
          heard of since the gods were here. I have no doubt the Ipanza
          to the north would be first then the south and west tribes.
          Then parts of the Zen'da plains.  Eventually some would have
          to deal with  Katai.  Because of this I have tried to keep
          tabs on the world outside.  I have many objects around the
          continent with a single person or group like yourself. From
          these I can learn and gather information to see what we might
          be up against as an argument against the ones who wish to rule.
          I also seek out great people for future possible use to help the
          Dark Lands and other people as a whole.  Your group is one such
          group I've been watching.  When Chion returned the Egg Drop to
          me he obtained the Gnarish Staff."

        [Everyone glances at Chion and Chion looks down at the staff.
         Unease seeps into Chion's spine as he feels slightly betrayed
         by this turn of events.]

        Elder: "You may have noticed Chion the staff seems to change in
          texture and temperature.  That is the being inside that I use to
          communicate with by the astral planes.  It gives me details of
          what it sees.  Details may be missing and vague but I get a good
          sense of what is going on.  Please," [he raises a hand] "I mean
          not to spy on each of you but I need to keep tabs on strong
          people. The future always looks bleak and the world needs
          strong heroes.  If not for the people here but for your own
          nations.  Through these objects I also hear of great evil."

        [Chion looks at the staff.  So all this time that is why the staff
         seems to warm and heat up.  That must be when the lifeforce or
         being inside the staff is lurking and watching. Chion doesn't
         know how to react to this bit of mild betrayal but if he over
         reacts his standing here will be greatly affected.  Chion listens
         to the High Elder and he does sound sincere in his words.  He does
         sound quite concerned about the people here and outside.  Why not
         spy on the outside while he learns of them?  After all the gods
         spy on this world all the time.  Unali spies for Duke Aren.  Xian
         spies on street gangsters.  Everyone is out for information.
         information is power.]

        Elder: "Chion if you wish to give back the staff I will accept it
          and give you a item that will not be the same.  I will not spy
          on your group if you wish to.  In fact I can give you a way to
          invoke a spell on the staff to prevent spying if you wish your
          privacy.  I am sorry to betray your trust in this matter but
          since you were in a far off land I could not resist taking the
          opportunity to gain information on your friends, on yourself
          and on Marentia which I hold of great value.  Marentia will be
          a true ally in the name of peace and good.  I wished I had
          learned more on Clima though.  I also learned that the Vassa
          protectors will be difficult for the wizard's to conquer and
          that knowledge may save the Dark Lands from civil war.  The
          information on the beings in that forest will help to show
          there are powerful people out there and that our magic may
          not work against them.  I would never give information on how
          to conquer those beings away even if I knew that.  The
          information I obtain is general and I only know their power is
          great.  Now for the reason I've called you here.."

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: I was hoping to have the actual info on why you were
            asked for the audience in this very update.  But as its
            2am and I've worked on what you have already read
            in the last week (since offline) I ran out of room
            and time. :< So I will work on the big part I couldn't
            include here for Monday's update.  At this point its
            over 1500 lines for the updates a bit lengthy so you
            guys need a break anyway. :)

        GM: Map of the Manor has been posted on website.

        GM: Some will get emails from Language trades and a few
            other behind scenes things later this weekend.