[pnpgm] Game Update #32a - File #114 - Party prepares to leave

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Mar 25 08:51:31 CET 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  -- J H Hooten............Raban.............Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #33a in sequence (file #113)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion will reply to Arwan's inquiry with "I speak of speaking
          of course. A trade. I know your native tounge a little, but
          perhaps can enhance my knowledge with magic. Or perhaps there
          is another language you would like to trade?  A higher one?"
          (hey, he has to take a shot where he can)

          As Raban seems to be packing up Chion (relatively still near
          the bar) will say to Raban, "You have come here before? And
          seem quite a free man. You are welcome to travel with us if
          you wish. We will need more people with entertainment skills
          such as yours. And friends are better than enemies when it
          comes to company."

          To all - before they depart - Chion will give this description
          of where they are headed, "Most of you know of the old man in
          the mountain who hid his realm from our earlier task. Well,
          consider this entire land to be the same. And also consider
          that there is no Good. No Evil. No Nature. No Created. There
          is just Magic. Pure and raw, shaped as those who would use it
          would shape it. Every leaf may be an ear. Every blade of grass
          an eye. Every rock a mouth. Do not fear these strange things.
          For while there are many dangers, we are heading to a safe
          area. One of the safest. (thinking back on the magic traps
          they faced before). When I said be on your best behavior, I
          meant for you to not speak unless spoken to. For anything you
          say may invoke insult. A simple "good day sir" to an ill-
          tempered mage may invoke a challenge. For it may be good is
          bad. Consider your words, and to whom they are within earshot
          of. Of the arts, I am knowledgeable of way more perhaps, than
          anyone here has seen. I am not well versed in many. Thus I keep
          my own mouth shut most of the time. Listen. Learn. Avoidance is
          a survival skill. If I wasn't asked personally to return by the
          High Elder, I probably would not be returning." With a smile he
          will add, "Thank you all for travelling with me, good friends,
          may we all return safely."
                                        ----------

          Chion smiles at Ben'Dar and simply replies "Transforming a
          horse is not any harder than a man."
                                        -----------
          Sorry I was a day late in replying... birthdays and such.

          Anyway, "Yes, the horses are coming." Chion mulls over in his
          head to transform an extra one, perhaps to throw at someone
          and then cancel the transformation spell... nah...
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra responds about the offer of a blessing "Anything to
          assist my spellcasting would be most appreciated. Thank you."
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          When Zelyra offers a trinket to understand the language of
          where they are going, Fremea will accept one (though will make
          every effort to learn the language as she travels around
          there).

          To Chion: "If you require any help with transmutation of
          something, I can, though I am not well practiced at the high
          levels." Fremea has taken a liking to Chion, he seems to treat
          the Fe and her with a respect that she has never felt before.
          This one is different.

          Fremea will remain silent other wise and just wait till it is
          time.
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar returns to the tavern with his bag full of dainty
          clothing. He hurriedly stuffs it into a saddlebag before
          coming inside.

          To Z'leyra, he says, "Yes, please magic something for me to
          help me learn the language."  He remembers the days when he
          first joined the party and could not speak Marentian.  Very
          frustrating!

          To Raban, he says with typical Ben'Dar bluntness, "Unali needs
          no bodyguard.  What land are you from and what goddess do you
          speak of?  And why do you feel such a strong duty toward females
          who are not your own?"  Ben'Dar truly seems perplexed about this
          last, since he comes from a culture where women are nothing more
          than property to be owned by warriors.

          Later, he adds, "We could use a man with your size and strength
          on this journey.  What weapons are you skilled with?"

          OOC:  I was trying to work in a reference from Ben'Dar wondering
          if this "obi wan" was a hermit named "Old Ben" that lived nearby
          Ben'Dar's tribe growing up...but it just didn't work.
        GM: Ack. Heh.  Still good attempt on Obi!

                        -------------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion says, "I would like to see you practice the spell again.
          As best you can would be best. My spirit is very weak at this
          time and can use any boost it can get to remain upon this
          plain."

          (Smiling, as he thinks he put that almost the way his recent
          instructor would have liked him to)
        GM:  Ack.

                        -------------------------------

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <hopefully this can all fit in somewhere, I am not sure
          where we are in timing of some posts.>

          Raban(to Chion), "Thank you, I will perform to my best ability.
          I travel where I feel I am needed, entertaining and helping
          those that I can. I am free to follow my path, though sometimes
          I may may need to attend the Great Rituals. My rank is low
          enough that missing such could cause me 'political' problems
          but as long as my Goddess does not mind, I am fine.

          I am concerned with my lack of knowledge of this place's
          cultures and language. That will limit what I can perform.
          Music and Dance have fewer limits than song or story, so I may
          be best performing that way. But dance can sometimes push
          cultural boundaries, so I hope you know what is allowed. I
          believe you said we would travel by magic? But people are also
          taking horses so I must inform you I do not have one. I am sure
          you noticed I am a bit big for most horses to carry. I suppose
          I should also ask, do you know what clothing is needed for an
          entertainer at this party? Normally I go with whatever I have
          available at the time, but I am usually invited with them
          knowing my appearance. It may be difficult to find or make an
          outfit in time for this party if I need something more than I
          have..."

          Raban pauses looking concerned, "You have the same look as
          Unali, one of a person who has lost life energy. I offered to
          use magic that would increase hers but she never said to do so.
          It is one that shares the energy between those nearby, so I
          could easily do so for both of you. I rarely need to use much
          of my power so I have plenty available." <Some of Raban's chat
          may be pushing his intelligence rating? He is above basic human
          average but not smart so its hard to judge. > <Use of Spirit
          Blessing may have restrictions like those applied to magical
          healing but I could not find anything describing such. Raban
          should know but the player doesn't at this point.>

          Raban(to Z'leyra), "A Blessing like that is harder to judge
          its effects but I would think mental toughness would prove
          useful. It should make you a bit more resistant to enemy magic
          and speed up your mana recovery." <Minor but useful effects,
          GM may allow other effects? Increasing Will can allow more Enl
          for example, though excess when the Blessing expires may
          disappear?>

          <The actual casting can be done at that point unless we need
          some privacy due to cultural issues? Hopefully no serious
          failure will occur.>

          Raban(to Ben'Dar) "I am Xianese though I did not live there
          long as my mother traveled often. I worship Miryan of the Court
          of Cernunnos because she has always been part of my heart and
          soul even before I knew her name. I was raised in a sort of
          extended family where we needed to protect each other, Xianese
          are very protective of their families. But in my case, I have
          always felt the need to protect women, even before I grew larger
          than most men. My Goddess brought that trait out even more after
          I had my Bardic Training. Protecting women is important to me,
          I suppose I may see all women as potential family though I
          never gave it all that much thought. I  also love to entertain
          them in all ways and I am very skilled in  that. Unali needs a
          bodyguard, at least for a while, though the  others may need it
          more and I will try to take care of all of  them as best I can.
          I am an expert in Bow and Fist, though other  weapons need much
          more practice before they will be of much serious use. Depending
          on what enemies we may encounter, I may need a much stronger bow
          than I have been able to make so far. A bow of the pull I need
          is very difficult to make out of even the best wood, the only
          ones I have seen close to it are made of steel."

          <Just what bow pull is proper for a guy that can lift a horse
          over his head anyway?>
        GM: Ack.  I try to put the sections into readable areas with
            time and headers.  The time markers are there for me and
            for you as reference.  I hope this helps you figure out
            where and when the game is at. If your still confused
            let me know and I can try to work on things better.
            As to bow pull I'm not experienced in such things so
            would have to consider it in depth.  Do some research
            or something in it. :<

                        -------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will buy a square yard of leather in order to have
          raw material to make items out of. Using her knife and leather
          tools she will cut enough leather thong to make a celtic type
          design with a loop left over for a necklace. In her purified
          area she will cast through her staff the spells necessary to
          ensorcel the necklace with the ability to cast EL0 Tongues at
          5 x cost on the wearer once per day.  This will make an item
          that will give the wearer a decent chance to learn a language.

          Especially if cast in a purified area.

          She plans to loan it out once per day to folks in the party
          trying to learn a language.

          Spells: <separate email to Scott.>
        GM: Ack.

                        -------------------------------

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn nodded as he listened to Chion's request. He did not
          mind sharing some of what he knew though he wondered what
          other languages the wizard knew.

          "I'm fine with that. What do you want to learn in return?"
          After the trade is worked on Arawn will take a seat and motion
          for Chion to sit beside him (preferably in a more private area
          than the common room). Upon doing so he proceeds to lay hands
          on him, channeling spiritual energy into the wizard's weakened
          body until he is at full strength.

          Later on, when Chion goes over basic etiquette in the Dark
          Lands, he listens quietly and takes mental notes. Other
          questions come to mind and he waits until Chion is done
          speaking before asking.

          "Are there no signs to indicate when it is alright to initiate
          conversation? What if one is already a practioner of magic?
          Also, is there any other etiquette we should be aware of?
          Dress? Body language or acts of respect?"

          Beyond these questions he will inquire as to specifics of
          etiquette as they journey, such as eating, politics and religion,
          titles, and other probable minor things. Having been raised in
          court he is all too aware of the importance of presentation to
          some, though he himself was not as partial to such things as his
          relatives are.
          Arawn smiles and nods when Kaylle responds with the request.

          "As you wish fair scholar. I will bring what gifts the East
          has  to offer when I return."

          Beyond this he will still remain open to strengthening Unali
          if she should change her mind, offering once more when he is
          done assisting Chion. At the same time he cannot help but
          notice Raban offering once more to accompany them, to 'protect'
          the women. The bard seemed nice enough, friendly and kind-
          hearted, and the druid would have spent some time speaking with
          him if the recent situation had not been so dramatic. Still, he
          found the man's desire to protect the women odd, even a bit
          insulting, though Arawn was aware that it was meant with good
          intention. Growing up the way he did, where he did, he knew for
          a fact that women were more than capable of taking care of
          themselves for there were few, if any, more capable and fearsome
          than his mother. Mortals, what a strange breed...
        GM: Ack. Not much time to ask questions on journey.  Keep in mind
            Its 2 hops and your there in less than an hour. :)
            By the time you ask (around 4:30) it'll be less than 2 hours
            before your in the dark lands. :)

                        -------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra says "Thank you Raban. I do pride myself on my mental
          toughness, but in mental toughness, as in many other thing,
          more is better." She continues "I enjoy music and dance as
          well. While not a master of these arts I have had some
          training. If you need percussion back up I may be able to
          provide."

        [Marqi 29, 1633TH. 1st Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Sivas, Marentia, Green Eye Tavern.

         [Time:  8:30am]

         [Chion replies to Arawn's question of a trade of services.
          He recalls his time in the Lands.  This is how Wizards
          there often traded in help and services.  One might show
          a trick of a spell or a variant or trade arcane knowledge
          or spells.  For Chion it brings memories of a few spells
          he learned more efficient mechanics...]

         Chion [to Arawn]: "I speak of speaking of course. A trade. I
           know your native tongue a little, but perhaps can enhance my
           knowledge with magic. Or perhaps there is another language
           you would like to trade?  A higher one?"

         [Chion glances at Ben'dar talking to Cholan a the bar.  A
          higher one indeed.  A supernatural language is power for
          some wizards.  The sheer divine use of the tongue allows
          greater spells.  But would the gods allow a trade of
          a supernatural language?  He knows when one learns such
          languages there are strict guidelines due to the religious
          implications.  Chion tries to recall his past and does
          seem to remember Correl mentioning wizards have traded
          higher divine languages.  Chion looks to Ben'dar thinking
          of this language trade as a form of barter like Ben'dar's
          people are so famous for.  Chion turns back to Arawn to
          await his reply.]

         Arawn: "I'm fine with that. What do you want to learn in return?"

                        -----------------------------

         [Time: 10:43am]

         [Raban offers to bless Z'leyra.]

         Z'leyra: "Anything to assist my spellcasting would be most
           appreciated. Thank you."

         Raban: "A Blessing like that is harder to judge its effects but
           I would think mental toughness would prove useful. It should
           make you a bit more resistant to enemy magic and speed up your
           mana recovery."

         Z'leyra: "Thank you Raban. I do pride myself on my mental
           toughness, but in mental toughness, as in many other thing,
           more is better." [She continues] "I enjoy music and dance as
           well. While not a master of these arts I have had some
           training. If you need percussion back up I may be able to
           provide."

         [Z'leyra and Raban head off to a quiet so Raban can deliver
          his blessing spell upon Z'leyra.  He touches Z'leyra and
          explains it will boost you for 4 days.]

                        -----------------------------

         [Time: 10:47am]

         [Raban pretty much introduces himself to Chion and invites
          himself along.  Raban feels obligated to the women and
          also to leave this land for some time while the heat dies
          down a bit.  He  knows the drill.  Hostile husbands tend
          to cool down but it takes a couple of months.  Of course
          hostile wives with expecting birth never cool down.
          Raban smiles to the man he thinks is in charge of this
          party.  Raban sure notices Chion took charge with the
          assassin.  But Unali seemed to be the one talking all
          morning about some exploits.  He couldn't hear it all
          from the stage but in passing he heard bits and pieces.
          At one point he figured she might be in charge.  Ben'dar,
          Chion, Cholan and Raban are all the bar while the others
          are talking at the tables.]

         Chion [to Raban]: "You have come here before? And seem quite a
           free man. You are welcome to travel with us if you wish. We
           will need more people with entertainment skills such as yours.
           And friends are better than enemies when it comes to company."

         [For the first time Chion gets a good look at Raban.  Even
          with Chion's magical enhancement, Chion knows he is half
          as good looking as Raban.  Raban is quite striking for sure.
          A man like that can be quite useful as distractions while
          others do the dirty work.  Raban with his size and handsome
          looks will surely draw attention away from the others.  But
          with that comes concern.  What if the Fallen Priestess sees
          him and targets him for her own will.  Could Raban survive
          a seduction like that?  But then again could the Priestess
          survive Raban!  Chion stifles a minor laugh while he
          sips from a drink.]

         Raban [to Chion]: "Thank you, I will perform to my best ability.
           I travel where I feel I am needed, entertaining and helping
           those that I can. I am free to follow my path, though sometimes
           I may need to attend the Great Rituals. My rank is low
[...]

         [Chion considers Raban's offer.  He knows Arawn already helped
          him once today and finds the spell he used fascinating to
          study more.  But Raban could be helpful as well.  Chion knows
          how being without a good horse is.  With his own weight
          issue most horses can't handle him for very long.  Wit
          Raban's bigger size he must have the same issues.  Maybe
          when he returns from the Lands he can check on getting some
          nice huge horses for both of them.  Maybe Ben'dar can
          use his connections for that purpose.]

         [Upon hearing Raban invite himself, Ben'dar snorts at the
          notion of Unali needing a bodyguard.]

         Ben'dar [to Raban]: "Unali needs no bodyguard.  What land are
           you from and what goddess do you speak of?  And why do you
           feel such a strong duty toward females who are not your own?"

         [Ben'dar is confused by this need to protect women.  Sure
          women are frail creatures needing protection from warriors
          like those on the plains.  But most civilized women like
          Unali seem to be able to protect themselves.  City life
          seems to train them for this.  The cultural exchange of
          themes from his land to Pavassa lands to Marentia to Clima
          and now to Dark Lands.  Such a culture shock for the party
          and himself.  But quite an experience to tell his children
          around the campfire when he is Ga'sha of his tribe.]

         Ben'dar [to Raban]: "We could use a man with your size and
           strength on this journey.  What weapons are you skilled with?"

         [Ben'dar feels sad Farseeker is too busy fighting L'p'nth
          bandits in the mountains to miss all the fun.  They were
          such a good team.  He wonders if this tall entertainer
          who seems to have taken Strie'bog's place, can fight?]

         Raban: "I am Xianese though I did not live there long as my
           mother traveled often. I worship Miryan of the Court of
           Cernunnos because she has always been part of my heart and
           soul even before I knew her name. I was raised in a sort of
           extended family where we needed to protect each other, Xianese
           are very protective of their families. But in my case, I have
           always felt the need to protect women, even before I grew
           larger than most men. My Goddess brought that trait out even
           more after I had my Bardic Training. Protecting women is
           important to me, I suppose I may see all women as potential
           family though I never gave it all that much thought. I  also
           love to entertain them in all ways and I am very skilled in
      1    that. Unali needs a bodyguard, at least for a while, though
           the  others may need it more and I will try to take care of
           all of  them as best I can. I am an expert in Bow and Fist,
           though other  weapons need much more practice before they will
           be of much serious use. Depending on what enemies we may
           encounter, I may need a much stronger bow than I have been
           able to make so far. A bow of the pull I need is very
           difficult to make out of even the best wood, the only ones I
           have seen close to it are made of steel."

         [Ben'dar nods.  Sounds like Strie'bog in many ways.  Very
          much alike in some background like entertainment and bardic
          training.  This treatment of women reminds Ben'dar of
          a Zen'da outcast who was very hairy from head to toe who
          had a life debt on a Zen'da warrior and protected him
          for many years.  Maybe Raban is like the hairy Hew'becca.]

                        -----------------------------

         [Time: 11-49pm]

         [Z'leyra has been looking around the city for a good tanner
          shop.  She knows most shops in the area now but she is looking
          for a particular good piece of leather.  She knows it will
          be formed into a new magical toy for the party.  After a short
          time around the city markets she finds the second store on
          her list of known tanners to have a good piece of leather.
          Looks like its just one day off the treatment process so its
          nice and fresh.  Looks to have come from a large animal. The
          clerk states it came from a nice cow.  The price for the square
          yard of leather is 3 Copper.  But Z'leyra gives him 5 CC for
          the leather piece.  The clerk is excited by the nice tip and
          bids her farewell.  Z'leyra immediately mounts up and heads
          to her manor.  Once there she spends the next couple hours
          at her workshop making the leather necklace and castings spells
          on it.  It only takes her a hour to make the necklace (30
          minutes for basic work and another 30 to add improvements and
          make it of fine quality.  She inspects the final product for
          problems and finds none.  She knows from experience with
          Ben'dar and her tanning skills she could probably sell this
          small necklace for 1 Copper.  Not much but the value will
          come in the form of magic.  She gives her manor staff final
          instructions and then heads back to the tavern around
          2:15pm.]

                        -----------------------------

         [Time:  2-31pm]

         [Ben'dar returns from shopping for his fancy clothing.
          He fears being spotted by someone he knows so hides the
          bag well and once at the stable by the tavern stuff its
          on Tef'wo's saddlebags.  He grumbles at the thought
          of wearing the clothing.  But then again he does need
          to be more business like.  He has seen the Merchant
          Princes and their offices on the shoreline.  They dress up
          and seem to do well.  but to wear it in front of the others
          will be quite a challenge worse than fighting a hard
          enemy.  If Farseeker hears or worse gets a description he'll
          never hush up teasing Ben'dar.  Ben'dar grumbles but its
          inevitable.  He pats and combs down Tef'wo talking to him.
          He knows soon they'll be off again on a good mission.  Tef'wo
          even seems to perk up hearing the news.  For the last 3
          months he has been doing little aside from business trips
          to town.  Ben'dar knows most horses would like to just stand
          and graze but Tef'wo is different he likes to get out,
          explore and best of all fight.]

                        -----------------------------

         [Time:  3-57pm]

         [Chion sees Arawn return from shopping and takes a break
          from the wand study and approaches.  He speaks low.]

         Chion [to Arawn]: "I would like to see you practice the spell
           again.  As best you can would be best. My spirit is very weak
           at this time and can use any boost it can get to remain upon
           this plain."

         [Chion smiles recalling Cetric's words.  Shamans have some
          form of energy spell as well but he hasn't quite gotten
          the skill in it yet.  He waits for Arawn to reply.  Inwardly
          he hates letting spells cast on him or even being touched
          by healers.  But times change as trust is gained.  He'll
          have to lower his defenses to have spells cast on him.
          Something he never does not even in deep sleep.  He sighs
          but knows it must be done.]

         [Arawn motions for Chion to go upstairs to a more quiet
          place away from customers and the noise.  So Chion can
          be healed with more energy.]

         [After a few minutes and 7 spells cast upon Chion, all that
          work with no failures, Chion's spirit is raised by more than
          80%.  Chion feels a whole lot better after the 7 spells.
          All the while Chion studies the gestures and words that
          Arawn used during the spells.]

         [Arawn slightly drained himself figures Chion is well enough
          for now.  He can request more if needed.  Arawn takes his
          bag of raw nickel materials down to his horse and puts
          it in the saddle bags.  He'll eventually work to make
          a nice armband for himself.]

                        -----------------------------

         [Time:  4-32pm]

         [Chion addresses the party as they fill in from their errands
          of the afternoon.  The High Elder overestimated his
          couriers.  He should've had 3 weeks to prepare for this day
          but seems some couriers were late.  Ironic when he considers
          the target of his message could deliver a message in
          minutes back and forth.  Farseeker has always teased Chion
          that he should open a Messenger Service for the nobility.
          He could certainly earn quite a bit of coin in the process.
          He clears his throat to gain the party's attention.]

         Chion: "Most of you know of the old man in the mountain who hid
[...]

         [Arawn listens to Chion's word.  Just magic?  No show of
          alignments or orientations?  That sounds more like Chaos.
          Even the gods have some form of organization in their courts
          to know who is who.  Could the lowly humans have come up
          with a system better than theirs? Doubtful.  Humans are
          ambitious and vengeful.  There is bound to be a strong leader
          to keep all the trouble from breaking out.  Arawn will find
          this land a fascinating study of human behavior.]

         [Ben'dar lets out a small grunt at Chion's word.  Magic and
          not strength.  Such a weak people.  A nation ready to be
          conquered for sure.  But if what he has seen by magic users
          like Bohusara and Miklav magic is powerful and that alone may
          be why they are not slaves but slavers to others. Chion
          grunts at the words "good behavior".  Chion must mean him
          but then again likely not.]

         [Fremea listens to Chion and has heard rumors of this land
          even as far west as Donara.  Mostly exaggerated rumors
          of demi gods in high towers ruling over thousands or rumors
          of powerful liches doing dark magics.  Likely these rumors
          are something between the two extremes.  He wonders if there
          have been other Faerry to venture to this far land.  If not
          it could be of great intelligence for the Faerry race.  One
          never knows when humans will rise up against the non-humans
          in a great war.]

         [Raban hears Chion mention that he hopes all return safely.
          Maybe he should reconsider his options.  He might have
          stepped in something far more dangerous than he suspects.
          He weighs his options.  Stay here and be chased and threatened
          by a noble maybe to be killed by some punk in the street
          paid by the noble.  Then again he could venture to a far
          land and deal with angry wizard nobles with egos.  Plain
          noble ego here or great wizard noble ego there.  Raban
          sighs and decides to take his chances in the far land.]

         [Unali is happy to go with Chion.  As a kid her family clan
          always had things to say about the rebels to the north.
          To Katai society the Dark Lands is just a band of bandits
          that threatened the Katai nation once with their vile magic
          and were kicked out.  It will be interesting to see the
          lands first hand and see if her bias drilled in for years
          by her family will change.  If it weren't for the fact that
          the party needs information about the Gray creatures and
          they ARE going to the dark lands she might have thought
          more of going or not going.  Maybe this crazed Mad Wizard
          of the North has information for the party?]

         [Z'leyra hears Chion and for the first time in the year or
          two years she has known Chion why he is so few in words.
          Now it makes sense.  Farseeker always hated the lack of
          words from him and teased him about it.  But he learned
          not to say much in his home land for fear and survival.
          In Chion's final words Z'leyra also detects a under current
          of possible regret?  If not requested he would not have
          gone back to his own homeland?  There might have been
          trouble in Chion's past.  Something to make a note of
          for future observation.]

         [Arawn tries to ponder questions on customs of the Lands. He
          waits for the lull in talks to ask Chion a question.]

         Arawn: "Are there no signs to indicate when it is alright to
           initiate conversation? What if one is already a practitioner of
           magic? Also, is there any other etiquette we should be aware
           of? Dress? Body language or acts of respect?"

         [With a serious face Chion replies.]

         Chion:  "Initiate conversation if you wish to dual with magic."
           [His mood softens a bit as he continues.] "Dress, appearance
           and gesturing are like any good illusion, for show only. I eat
           nothing made of more than magic. Religions are often based
           upon magical roots and practices. Titles are what we give to
           those who know how to use power, or think they do. And if you
           recall, I said I have no title there, save student. Everyone
           ready?"

         [Kaylle listens to Arawn's questions.  He doesn't know such
          things first hand.  But he knows from what he has read.]

         Kaylle: "If your a user of magic you'll have more status there
           I'm sure.  More than say myself or Ben'dar.  I seem to
           recall Magic, Noble titles and slaves in that order of
           power structure.  Best thing is handle yourself as in
           any nation with nobility like here in Marentia."

         [Kaylle informs Arawn what he would like for the library.]

         Arawn: "As you wish fair scholar. I will bring what gifts the
           East has  to offer when I return."

         [Kaylle bows and nods.]

         Kaylle: "Thank you."

                        ---------------------

         [Time:  4-35pm]

         [Ben'dar asks if the horses are to be taken.  Chion smiles
          in return knowing that Ben'dar without Tef'wo would be
          like Z'leyra without her drum or Arawn's divine connection.
          It just wouldn't do at all.]

         Chion [to Ben'dar]:  "Yes, the horses are coming. Transforming a
           horse is not any harder than a man."

         [For the last 3 hours Chion has been studying the wand the
          High Elder sent to him.  Likely a loan.  While the others
          shopped around in the city Chion studied the runes and
          tries to recall his rumors and stories from Correl.  Only
          a half hour in Chion's eyes bulge with surprise.  This is
          THE Wand of Change.  One of the most powerful wands out there.
          From the Elder's own personal stores.  No one has seen much
          of it but the Elder's aides use it at times but only those
          he trusts.  It was created by Lu Ti the Wizard some 85 or
          so years ago.  He was a master in the art of transmutation
          as Chion is with Teleport now.  From Correl Chion knows
          that when one masters a spell he can tweak the spell with
          variants and add-ons.  Lu Ti put all his knowledge into
          this one wand.  Chion continues to study the wand for
          another couple hours and finally figures out the runes on
          its use.  Lucky for him it seems to have no traps or
          warnings.  Lu Ti used the wand for good after all.  Lu Ti
          seems to have invented a variant into the basic spell to
          transmute things within a "magic bubble".  So instead of
          the spell simply transforming a horse into a rock this bubble
          seems to change everything on it including saddle and tack
          into a one item like a rock.  A variant few including himself
          do not know and likely will not know the mechanics.  The
          wand's runes only dictate how to use the spell and not the
          secrets of the variant.  Chion smiles knowing that this
          will be useful so that only the people will need to be
          teleported rather than tons of equipment.  As Arawn finally
          arrives late in the afternoon Chion wonders if he can
          start to tweak his teleport spell?  After all the very spot
          he is going to teleport in has such variants from long lost
          magics.  There are rumors of Teleport Blocks, Teleport Tracking,
          and Teleport Detection variants among others out there.]

         [Fremea is interested in Z'leyra's mention of a possible
          magical item for languages.  In her past life that could
          have been quite a gift to have.  As the afternoon rolls
          on she notices Chion study the wand and take a break.
          She slips quietly beside him.  Chion jumps inwardly as
          her quiet movement startles him but he shows no sign
          of it on the outside.  A skill he has learned long ago.
          He'll have to watch her.  She's sneaky and devious like
          Unali is but shorter.]

         Fremea [to Chion] : "If you require any help with transmutation
           of something, I can, though I am not well practiced at the
           high levels."

         [Chion nods.  Chion looks at the wand from its likely
          construction it has enough energy to transmute the entire
          party's supply of horses.  He'll likely not need help
          unless the spells fail.  Maybe this is one way the High
          Elder can "control" those who enter his domain by knowing
          that his toy wand transmutes rather than others.  But
          Chion doesn't explain this to Fremea but nods in
          acknowledgement and smiles at her.  From a foot away
          Fremea smiles back something she seems to be doing lately.
          She quickly pulls back her grin.  Emotion leads to
          distractions and distractions to death.  Something a person
          no longer a friend once told her about.  Connections to
          friends are not for her he told her.  Yet Fremea seems to
          be taking a liking to Chion.  He is friendly to her and
          the others in various ways.  But even she can detect some
          underline level of low morals.  Maybe that is why she
          is connecting to him? But then again all humans have some
          evil in them even the so called religious priests.  Fremea
          returns to her corner and continues to study the room
          in silence.]

         [Z'leyra quietly asks who might wish to sue her new
          magical toy for languages.  Ben'dar replies to her
          quickly knowing the frustration of not knowing a language.]

         Ben'dar [to Z'leyra]: "Yes, please magic something for me to
           help me learn the language."

        Actions? Comments?

        GM: Tongues spell has changed in version 2.  It no longer gives
            you MAX EL in a language but only the starting EL.  To me
            this is better.  I have decided the Vassa languages learned
            will not be restricted/lowered in EL.  But going forward
            all Tongues will be starting EL not max.

        GM: A note on the Dark Lands.  For those who have the rules and
            the information on the Dark Lands keep in mind maybe only
            60% of that information is basic and accurate.  Because
            of that info being public I've changed many things.  The
            basic concepts will be the same.  But don't rely on personal
            information to reflect any decision making process.  Even
            when spells or skills are defined I may have added, changed
            or deleted some.  Just keep this in mind.

        GM: I hope you guys don't mind me using introspection in the
            updates.  I've discussed this in the past.  But I will
            never reveal secrets but just what your character may
            be thinking or considering at the time as if he/she were
            using normal thought processes.  Sometimes I may do it
            to add clues while other time to add humor or just to
            fill in the gaps in the story.  If you wish me not to
            do it for your character let me know.    At times I notice
            I may take away from your replies and interactions so in
            those cases I don't do any introspection.

        GM: Chion, Arawn - This trade of language.  Let me know what
            is done.  It can be retroactive for awhile.  But we'll
            move on as the dickering could take awhile.

        GM: Arawn - Like your introspection/comments on Raban in your
            post.  It was so well done that I really couldn't improve
            on it so didn't include it in the update section.

        GM: Quiz over! Trek reference - Star Trek DS9.  Garak the
            cardassian tailor! :)  Oh well.  Star Wars reference in
            this update. Find it? :)

        GM: Aside from Chion/Arawn's Trade, Raban's blessing is done.
            Z'leyra's magical item is made.  Whoever uses it is up
            to her I guess.  At this point one person can use it
            for this day.  This is part 1 just handling the recap
            and posts from you guys.  Some comments from me are
            in the Recap section.  Part 2 will follow just doing
            the new stuff for ease of reading.