[pnpgm] Game Update #53 - File #227 - Gargoyle Combat Turn 1: P1+2

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Jun 27 06:25:42 CEST 2008

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  -- Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....NormalFaerry  Fe
  Do David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R? J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #53 in sequence (file #227)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          Raban to Kiet: "No apology is needed, it was obvious even to
          me why you behaved as you did. The snake I figured was someones
          idea of a bad prank or a sneaky mage, so I had to be careful
          how I handled it. So I removed you from the danger instead of
          dealing with the snake. I should apologize to you for such
          rough handling, but it did look like it was needed. Fortunately
          no one was bitten. I am not one who can see a danger and not
          act, but at times it has gotten me into trouble." "My name is
          Raban Usherwood, it's pronounced 'Ray' 'Bin' if you say it
          slowly. I was once told it meant 'one who hates daylight' but
          I think that was in another language. My joining these people
          is an odd tale, but I think the easiest is to say my Goddess,
          Miryan, desired it. I wander place to place Entertaining and
          doing good works, as well as spreading my Goddesses teaching
          and blessings as a Bard. When it is time to move on, I choose
          my direction by how it feels in my heart, or by events that
          lead me to places. Such lead me to whe re I met these people
          and a foul person assaulted one of the ladies. As I mentioned,
          I cannot stand by when such occurs, but even more so when a
          lady is endangered.

          There is much I should not say about what occurred, but in the
          end I invited myself to come with them to protect the Ladies
          and to Entertain at the Party. As you know, the Entertainment
          went fairly well, even though I could not perform to my best
          with what little I knew of the languages and cultures. I am
          not doing so well on the protection, though I have not failed
          at it. I found it is difficult to protect people who act like
          they do not need protecting. So perhaps I have misunderstood
          why I felt I needed to go with them. They must need my help
          for something important other than just protection." "I believe
          nothing is an accident, as the gods influence events in many
          subtle ways. Is your involvement any different?"

          Raban looks over the giants sadly, "Some creatures are too
          tightly bound to their gods and have little control over their
          actions. Kototh is one that refused to let his creations act
          freely. Had he allowed it, then maybe these giants could have
          survived. Some say only humans have that freedom, but I believe
          many other races have more than they admit too. I too have my
          bindings, I would have preferred not needing to kill them, but
          they could have been a risk to others. If they were close to a
          settlement, I would have felt the need to drive them off or
          kill them."

          [Raban was a bit nervous about the teleport, though the drop
          did not seem to bother him. But having something hiding in the
          clouds attack the group, especially the ladies, upsets him
          greatly. His hands tighten into fists, showing his gauntlets
          are more than protection. Raban senses for where the enemies
          are and prepares to smash them.] Raban: "What are gargoyles?"

          <Why do I always feel I should say 'Hulk Smash'? Don't make
          Raban angry..you would not like him when he is angry ;) >
        GM: Ack.  Or The Thing - "its clobbering time!"

                ------------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar senses Kiet's distress at his barbarian appearance and
          manners. Ben'Dar grins but says nothing.  If the acrobat is
          uncomfortable now, he should be around when a Fel'oros war party
          goes out on a raid!

          Ben'Dar is fairly skilled at falling, having spent many years
          learning how to ride and break horses.  He rolls on the spongy
          ground and comes smoothly to his feet.  He is glad Tef'wo did not
          come along.  Such a fall may have been fatal to the big horse.

          He senses the gargoyles and sees Unali duck beneath one.
          Instinctively he readies his pike.  "Stand back to back!"  He
          protect the back of whoever he's closest to, and will hold his
          pike in such a way as to make it difficult for an attacking
          Gargoyle to get to him without hitting his pike first.
        GM: Ack.

                ------------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will readily accede to Unali's request to help her
          learn Salaqi via the Necklace.

          As Z'leyra doesn't need the magic item to learn languages via
          the tongues spell she will happily and gratefully accept any
          offers to learn languages that she doesn't know. She will
          freely offer the languages she knows to any using the magic
          item to learn languages. No trade required.

          [Usual s.o.p. for casting Tongues includes Purification,
           casting thru her staff and all spells at EL0]

          Z'leyra will offer to examine the itching powder to see if
          she can determine anything about it...If she uses Perception
          she will have folks on hand to listen to what she says while
          in the trance.

          After a brief bit of thought Z'leyra decides that having
          healing rains might be counterproductive as some would use it
          to engage in an orgy of violence.

          In preparation for the teleport Z'leyra kept the Levitation
          spell ready to cast if things didn't go well.

          Z'leyra requests that Corona stay close by...and if they do
          end up separated and can't find each other in 2 days or so,
          to meet at the High Elders.

          GARGOYLES!!!  FisherKing had been killed by gargoyles. Z'leyra
          fights down the temptation to go berserk and prepares to fight.
          Despite her previous experience with them and her knowledge
          that they are chaos oriented creatures that delight in enslaving
          and torturing humans she will not attack unless it is obvious
          the gargoyles are attacking... she will allow them the
          opportunity to approach peacefully if they choose.

          She will fight defensively with her staff...and will cast Astral
          Web thru it at the gargoyles if they do attack and she has time.
        GM: Ack. Corona agrees.

                ------------------------------

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Never having seen Gargoyles or really knowing much about them,
          she will cast Invisibility (EL 0) on herself and then ready her
          daggers to fight with. She will also fly up a little bit higher
          (unless the winds are too strong for her to do that and stay
          with the party).

        [Marqi 30th, 1633TH. 2nd Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Ki'ama's Citadel, Dark Lands

        [Z'leyra offers to attempt to examine the itching powder and
         cast perception on it.  But Zhou is suspicious and both
         men refuse and run away to the healer.]

        GM: Event was handled so long ago now if these actions done
            then could've done something.  But the timeline is set. :<

                --------------------------------

        [Marqi 31st, 1633TH. 3rd Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Balance domain, Dark Lands

        [That evening in camp Kiet talks to Chion and Raban.  Gives
         his thanks to Raban for helping with the snake.  Raban
         replies to Kiet.]

        Raban: "No apology is needed, it was obvious even to me why you
[...]

        [Ma 1st, 1633TH. 4th Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands

        [At camp that morning.  Unali uses the language amulet to
         learn Salaqi from Z'leyra.  Based on Z'leyra's fluent use
         of the language Unali picks it up quickly and seems to be
         a good speaker at the level of an educated youth.  Z'leyra
         then makes her open offer to learn languages for herself with
         no trade required.]

                        --------------------------

        [After the Giant Combat when Chion & Arawn take samples.]

        [Raban looks over the giant bodies and says out loud.]

        Raban: "Some creatures are too tightly bound to their gods and
          have little control over their actions. Kototh is one that
          refused to let his creations act freely. Had he allowed it,
          then maybe these giants could have survived. Some say only
          humans have that freedom, but I believe many other races have
          more than they admit too. I too have my bindings, I would have
          preferred not needing to kill them, but they could have been a
          risk to others. If they were close to a settlement, I would have
          felt the need to drive them off or kill them."

        Sven: "Yes.  Even the poor slave people in this domain deserve
          to be helped by the death of these creatures.  A life saved
          is better than two dead giants."

        [Ma 2nd, 1633TH. 5th Day of Adventure #4.
         Location: Chaos domain, Dark Lands

        [Time: 9:28am]

        [Raban was a bit nervous about the teleport, though the drop did
         not seem to bother him. But having something hiding in the
         clouds attack the group, especially the ladies, upsets him
         greatly. His hands tighten into fists, showing his gauntlets are
         more than protection. Raban senses for where the enemies are
         and prepares to smash them.]

        [Ben'Dar is fairly skilled at falling, having spent many years
         learning how to ride and break horses.  He rolls on the spongy
         ground and comes smoothly to his feet.  He is glad Tef'wo did not
         come along.  Such a fall may have been fatal to the big horse.]

        [Z'leyra's blood boils as she recalls the memory of Clima where
         one of the gargoyles attacked her friend Fisherking.  It was
         one thing to kill her companion eagle but to kill her tonah
         and so viciously.  It sent Z'leyra into a rage then and she
         almost get to that point now as her Tonah could be attacked
         again.  But she knows unlike Fisherking, Corona might be able
         to take one or two out himself.  So she prepares herself for
         a fight of vengeance.]

                        -------------------

        [Time: 9:29am]

        Caladan: "Gargoyles!"

        Raban: "What are gargoyles?"

        [Ben'dar senses the gargoyles and sees Unali duck beneath one.
         Instinctively he readies his pike.]

        Ben'dar: "Stand back to back!"

        GM: I could do a rpg-style combat session.  But since we have
            new players I still need them to get use to the style of
            play.  For shorter combats I may get to rpg scene combats.
            Rpg style combats tend to be less realistic in terms of the
            rule mechanics and situation at hand anyways.  When your
            dealing with 10 plus folks and tons of enemies a organized
            format is the bet to go. :)

        [Turn 1: Phase 1]

         [Mana Allocation - ]

           [Arawn, Fremea, Kiet, Z'leyra and Caladan begin to build up
            mana energies for spells.]

         [Missile Fire    - ]

           [The thick cloud cover at this point prevents effective
            missile control - and no one planned on it.]

         [Magic Effect    - ]

           [Fremea casts a quick invisibility spell but finds that
            the spell fails, she remains visible.]

           [Arawn quickly gestures with his hands and speaks the magical
            words to invoke a Armor spell and within 2 seconds a
            shining blue aura shines over his scale mail seen by him.
            He guesses he increased his armor by 50% in strength.]

           [Caladan quickly speaks other words and completes a swing
            gesture with his hand and completes a spell to give him
            a slight edge.]

           [Z'leyra casts a quick astral web spell through her staff
            hoping she can capture a target even though she can't
            see many targets.]

           [Kiet while on the ground still looking for a item or two
            hears the warning.  He think Caladan said Gargirls whatever
            they are in Marentian.  But Kiet uses quick thinking and has
            heard stories of winged creatures with a name like that. Maybe
            its them?  So he casts a protection spell and hope it works.]

         [Melee & Movement- ]

           [For those who have experienced Gargoyles in the past like
            Caladan, Z'leyra and Ben'dar; it quickly becomes evident there
            are male and female types here.  The large is the bigger sized
            reptile with long angular face, two horns and some have height
            of 7 feet tall. Their leathery wings, tough hide and fur is
            clear even in the fog.  The female version is smaller and even
            those inexperienced can likely figure this out based on how
            animals work.  The female has more fur and less scales, rounder
            face and less tough hide. Females are shorter at only 4-5 feet
            tall and fly less skilled.]

           [Corona has been circling in the darker clouds above the party
            and he senses others around it.  Corona detects trouble below
            and dives for an attack on one target through the cloud.  He
            knows that only that winged one called Fremea can fly so his
            chances of not hurting a party member is high.  She should
            be fairly easy to see against the darker forms of the gargoyles.
            He fires red bolts from his eyes and it sizzles past one
            creature and fades out in a sizzle against the moisture.]

           [Not having seen Gargoyles in action Fremea climbs up higher
            above the party in case they lodge spells and weapons.
            She knows her spell failed and hopes the cloud will be
            enough cover as she can barely see herself.  She pulls
            out her dagger and tracks a target from its wing flap.  She
            flies toward one sound and the creature zips past and
            suddenly a gust of wind hits her and makes her drift back
            a few feet.  She regains her bearing but loses the creature.]

           GM: Gargoyle targets are D10 1 begin top of roster and 10
               being Corona (9, Z'leyra).  So its random.

           [One large male gargoyle dives straight for Chion.  Chion
            notices this one is carrying a sword.  He recalls in clima
            most had spears or clubs.  These must be smarter ones?
            The creature dives and swings the sword at Chion but misses
            completely by inches.]

           [One smaller gargoyle heads back toward Corona and from
            behind uses her claws to tear flesh from the bird giving
            it a minor wound.]

           [One female dives low to the ground and flies over the
            lying Kiet.  She tries to grab and at the least hurt
            the human but misses as he seems to squirm out of the
            way in the last second.  Kiet glances up to see the
            back of the foul creature and knows that was close.]

           [One female dives straight for Unali but her dagger gives her
            the edge and she shifts just in time to avoid her claw attack.]

           [Raban's blood runs hot as he sees Unali attacked but she seems
            to have some warning and she moves out of the way.  Raban
            charges forward like a mad man toward the creature before
            it takes up to the air.  For such a massive man he seems
            to leap with the ease of a tiger and catches the creature
            on its legs.  He yanks the female gargoyle down and slams
            it to the ground onto its back slamming moist dirt everywhere.
            The impact is massive and knocks the creature out.]

           [Having rolled, flipped and stood up like a trained acrobat
            warrior Unali stands and notices what Raban does.  In
            the fog the man is seen only by his body mass.  She nods
            to Raban and hopes he sees her face.  She pulls out a second
            dagger and looks toward Caladan's last position based on his
            words and heads that way.  She finds him but sees no
            creature.  She stands ready for any sign of more of them.
            its hard to attack creatures that can fly up into the sky.]

           [Ben'dar gives his tactical suggestion and pulls his pike
            closer to himself.  He looks for the creatures but the
            fog is too thick.  He nears toward another party member.]

           [Arawn finds this attack suspicious.  From what he knows
            of these creatures they should be dust in the sun.  But
            then again these clouds filter the sun.  But surely the
            wind would show the sun on them?  This means they must
            have some energy or spell protecting them in this daylight.
            That energy he felt in the air when first teleported might
            be something about it.  But no time to look into it now.
            He pulls his sword and buckler ready for action.]

           [Chion pulls out his sai and gets into a ready stance ready
            for combat.]

           [Caladan and Z'leyra ready their staffs ready to defend against
            the foul creatures.]

           [Kiet on the ground pulls one of his rope strips out and
            readies it in his hand.]

           [From the west some sound is heard that must be a gargoyle
            yell likely for attack the party figures.]

        GM: Not much action yet as they are doing dive attacks
            at this point.  Not until they get grounded if they
            do will there be much chance for action. :<

        [Turn 1: Phase 2]

         [Mana Allocation  - ]

           [Kiet begins to gather mana for a new spell.]

         [Missile Fire     - None]

         [Magic Effect     - ]

           [Kiet casts his spell onto the rope strip and notices it
            jerk just slightly.]

         [Melee & Movement -]

           [Corona does a sudden dive straight down then arcs upside
            down and then back up.  Twisting back and upward the
            eagle comes behind the one creature that just attacked
            her and bolts of hot energy hits the creature in the wing
            causing a large hole in the wing.  The female gives a frightful
            howl of pain.]

           [Fremea sees one male gargoyle fly past her and flies fast
            against the wind.  This time she is prepared for the
            gust of wind and sustains her balance.  She dives at the
            creature and stabs at its reptile back doing 14 points of
            damage as the creature howls in pain.]

           [The gargoyle creature hit by Fremea twists in flight and
            lowers slightly in a skilled manner.  Fremea now sees
            he has a sword and the sword thrusts upwards and hits
            Fremea in the lower left abdomen.  Her elven armor helps
            but she still takes a 3 point hit from it.]

           [The gargoyle that attacked Chion last time with a sword
            retries this time landing for a better shot.  Landing
            in front of Chion he thrusts his sword as if the creature
            could even be civilized!  Chion finds it actually amusing.
            The sword fails to strike and Chion figures the stupid
            creature must not be trained well.]

           [One male creature this time dives straight for Kiet
            finding it an easy target and lands above him.  But
            at that instant Kiet rolls tot he side missing the
            creature's claws.]

           [Suddenly from all around smaller wing flaps are heard
            from behind, front, side, above.  The party finds
            that there must be a swarm of the creatures all around
            in this cloudbank.  Apparently reinforcements were called?]

           GM: The below female segments are simultaneous that
               happen all at the exact same time.  Its as if the clouds
               birth the creatures.  M# and F# stand for Male number X
               and Female Number X for my personal notes for record
               keeping. :)

           [F#3 and F#14 dive straight for Arawn. Both dive from
            opposite directions.  Both try to claw Arawn but one
            misses entirely and the other Arawn raises his buckler
            in time to block her claws.  Both start their ascent.]

           [F#8 and F#9 dive like toward Arawn at Ben'dar.  Both
            female creatures fail to strike with their wings and claws.]

           [F#5 and F#10 dive toward Caladan in angled attacks.  But
            Caladan is prepared as his Clairvoyance spell warns him
            to twist left just in time.  Both miss in their attacks
            and one is so close he can fell her arm against his as the
            spell must've saved him.]

           [F#13 dives toward Chion but suddenly a gust of wind whips
            her wings to the left.  Her balance falters and she
            slams into the ground next to Chion.]
           GM: A fumble. :)

           GM: Fremea lucky and not one female target this time :)

           [Kiet seems to be the "weak cow" target for some reason.
            Four females dive toward him #11, 12, 15, 17 The first
            one hits with her claws while the other 3 clearly miss
            their staggered assault.  The creature scratches the
            acrobat between heart and shoulder for only a minor cut
            of 1 point of damage.  Two of the females hit back to
            the air while two remain over Kiet.]

           [F#7 dives toward Raban at the same time but fails to strike
            even the massive man.]

           [F#1 and F#16 dive toward Unali but her magical dagger seems
            to warn her and she dodges both strikes at the same time.
            while deflecting one blow with her non-magical dagger.]

           [F#4 and F#6 dive toward Z'leyra.  Her luck ring after months
            of little use seems to earn its keep this time.  Her luck
            wins out and a sure deadly hit is slowed to only a normal
            hit but the claws do not penetrate her magical armor.  The
            other hit is lucked out to a miss.]

           [Finally at the same time F#18 dives toward Corona and
            misses in her awkward attack.]

           [The tiny firesnake near Caladan tries to fly toward and
            bite one of the smaller females but misses.]

           [From his side vision Raban sees the swarm of creatures
            dive and notices Unali and Z'leyra attacked.  He looks
            down at the one he took out and sees it not moving. He
            charges toward what he thought was Z'leyra and finds
            her and one of the creatures flying around.  He leaps
            toward it but finds it just out of reach as it flies
            up into the mists.]

           [Unali tries to leap at F#16 but fails to hit with her
            daggers just as it leaves the area.]

           [Ben'dar smiles at the time of good action for a change
            not knowing the danger behind him and the chaos by
            the horde.  He charges F#8 and swings the long pike
            and strikes her clipping her in the left shoulder as
            she flies past doing a massive 9 point strike.  The
            creature tumbles to the ground in pain.]

           [Arawn sees the chaos unfold and yells out

           Arawn: "Stop! We come in peace!"
           GM: Not in ICQ so can't clarify this on language.

           [Arawn sees the two attacked him fly off so can't hit them
            at this time.]

           GM: You said defend so wasn't sure if you'd actively go out
               and attack based on your peaceful words. :)

           [Chion sees two targets.  The fumbling female and the
            unskilled sword-creature.  He goes for the one with
            the sword as the best threat.  He charges and leaps
            toward it.  But even on the ground the creature seems to
            be agile enough to avoid the dangerous sai from Chion.]

           [Caladan sees F#5 and F#10 nearby and in distance he
            swings his warstaff toward #5 but sadly the staff misses.]

           [Z'leyra eyes the two female creatures near her and holds
            back her staff swing on one nearby hoping the spell
            affects it soon.]

           [Kiet throws the rope toward the male creature on the
            ground over it.  The rope lands onto the arm of the
            creature but Kiet doesn't wait to see what happens. Kiet
            rolls away to avoid the other 2 females on the ground near
            him trying to avoid danger.]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update...Monday...

        GM: A head's up. The next 2 weeks will be hectic for my
            programming firm that I own.  We are in the last phase
            of a project and it will likely be 12 hour days until
            the 11th or so.  This means the next 4 updates (30, 4,
            7, 11) might be affected.  This might mean less update
            or delay or no update.  Shouldn't affect monday stuff
            as I'll be exhausted but will have 2 days off (tue/wed)
            to work on it.  But likely will affect friday updates
            for those dates.  Just a head's up so you guys don't
            get surprised. :)

        GM: Reminder, if a spell you planned fails I need to know if
            you recast it or not.  If not stated to I assume it is not.

        GM: Actions for next 2 phases?

            Arawn - Got your next spell, for phase 4? Do you just
                    defend and hope they stop fighting or attack openly?

            Ben'dar, Chion, Raban, Unali - pretty much same actions
               I figure unless you want minor changes.

            Fremea - Repeat inviso spell? Might be safer on the ground
               with others but you got lucky and only one of the horde
               seem to attacked you this phase but its random.

            Kiet - Got 1 male, 2 female on ground near you within
               length of melee, flight attacks.  The rope effect
               will be handled in next phase's magic effect segment
               before the male moves.  So your unsure if he is
               entangled or not yet.

            Z'leyra - As we talked about in ICQ.

            If you just want to repeat your actions with no changes
            just say Repeat.  :)  Next update next 2 phases.

        GM: If doing this table top and everyone took care of their
            own rolls, experience and the like this would be more
            role playing style combat.  But since I'm doing it all
            and you only provide the role playing and actions this
            has to be more structured/segmented by the rules.  I'm
            reading the spell effects for the ropes and web into
            context for this situation.  I could rule it effects
            in the melee segment but going to the next phase's
            magic effect segment before they move.  This adds a bit
            of realism but less oriented for character knowledge.
            More suspense :)

        GM: Fremea/Arawn - Stuff in email I'll have to get back to
            you guys later this weekend.  Stay tuned for that thread.

        GM: You guys want a map? I could detail who is landed and
            who is still in flight?  But with the creatures going
            in and out maps might not help much.  Majority will rule
            for this decision.