[pnpgm] Game update #26 - File #122 - Turn 1: Phase 3+4 Goblin Combat

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Mar 9 08:10:55 CET 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 226 in sequence (file #122)

     Admin notes:  So no claims on past treasure?

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          OOC:  Gotta a question about armor...  I'm thinking that it
          might be impractical to put on suits of armor in this
          situation?  (in the dark, inside tiny tents)  That's why Ben'Dar
           didn't stop to put on his armor, unless he can really do it in
           one phase.  Please clarify...either way's fine with me.

           Actions:  Ben'Dar steps out of the north entrance of his tent
           and whistles to Tef'wo to "come".  (Ben'Dar does not tie up
           Tef'wo ever, but lets the horse graze freely).  He takes a
           quick step forward and attacks goblin "J" (the one fighting
           Boyzdar).  Then he will rush northward and attack the mass of
           goblins flailing at Z'leyra.
        GM: Ack. The experience on armor goes back to my SCA days.
            Doing full re-enactment combats and such some tested how
            long it really took on various suits of armor to don.
            This included Tents.  I found it is possible to don a
            suit of armor in an even 1 man tent.  As long as one can
            sit up they can put it on like a shirt.  For more sturdy
            armors like Plate.  Yes.  Those can't be done in a tent.
            Those tend to require standing up.  Since no one had
            specifically said NOT to wear armor I had to assume you
            would WANT to put on armor.  That way if you died later
            I couldn't be sued for "well I didn't get my armor on!". :)
            Leather, Quilted, Chain can be done fairly fast and
            by sitting up.  It took me about 8 seconds for me one time
            to put on a chainmail vest (which is what pretty much
            chainmail here counts for) in the dark and in a small tent.
            For folks like yourselves though it would be faster.  As
            to it dark the campfire flickers enough that shadows and
            some light can be seen.  The tents aren't strong enough to
            put blankets over so tents are thin and so light can come
            in from the campfire.  We should though let me know in
            advance who is putting on armor and who isn't in the future.
            We should also probably figure out speeds for putting on
            armor.  One of these days.  Ack on actions.  First I've
            heard of no tying up on Tef'wo :).  But he is strong enough
            he probably can free himself if tried.  The others should
            all be tied up.

        From Chion: [Re: Cabin comments/evil vs good magic]
          Chion thinks to himself (perhaps out loud), "Some would take
          offense and call it treasonous to speak with certain people,
          its all relative I guess. Since the dead are simply on a
          different plane I don't see how its much different than
          summoing a tonah or demon to aid oneself. A king has the
          right to rule his subjects, after all."

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Slipping between goblins a (1) and g (7) Z'leyra will kill the
          goblin that hit her by hitting it with her staff.
          Then if she can cast Quarrels EL0 (excluding herself and Xian)
          without affecting other party members she will do so.
          Otherwise she will cast Sleep Mist EL1 with Tongue of the Sidh
          through her staff.

          Then she will go around striking and awake goblins from behind
          trying to kill them one by one.

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          If anyone wants to use the remains of Unali's old leather armor
          they are free to do so. "Here take this. It might just be
          enough to patch yours."

          As the fight starts, she will exit the tent and attack the
          closest goblin. Seeing they are goblins, not humans, she will
          strike to kill instead of subdue this time.
        GM: Ack. I forgot who needed leather.  I think Ben'dar?

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          Sorry for the delay.  I've been on pain killer for an injured
          knee. Never thought I could sleep 16 out of every 24 hours.

          Previous conversation:

          "Farseeker,"  Strie'bog begins, "Z'leyra is right in a way.  My
          talking  to the creatures of the forest is natural, and a gift
          from my mother. I understand their speech better than I
          understand Merantian.  But what surprises me more is that you
          think my faith is external.  You say you rely on your skill and
          quick thinking.  So do I, but added to this is my faith.  I don't
          expect Cernunnos to come and save my life when times are tough.
          My skills and knowledge are all I have for this; my faith is
          that the Court of Cernunnos, the Court of Life, seeks to
          preserve life.  I, as a follower will use all my skill,
          knowledge and power to advance these goals.  We are not that
          different Farseeker.You have faith in your skills, and my faith
          brings me a conviction to use my skills in a right manner."

          As for the goblins;
          After seeing the goblins, and more importantly, the close nature
          of the camp, Strie'bog will cast Wood Strength (EL 1) and use his
          axe in combat.

          If it is not too late to talk about daily spells, Strie'bog
          will be keeping his long term bless spells going.  Bless DCV
          day 1, skip a day, Bless OCV day 3, skip a day, Bless DCV day 5,
          etc... (Bless spells at EL 3).
        GM: Ack. No problem on delay.  I was delayed this week as well.
          Get better on that knee!

         [Decalis 13th, 104th day since left Marentia, 39th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Cabin talk continues...Strie'bog speaks to Farseeker and
           Farseeker replies.]

          Farseeker: "Priest Strie'bog I mean no disrespect.   I meant
             no offense.  I was leery when Arawn talked of speaking to
             the dead and conjuring up spirits.  That stuff is dangerous
             and I tend to avoid it if I can.   Your abilities seem more
             natural to me and friendly to my well-being." [He grins.]

         GM: I applied the skill points for the 3 days of travel to
             the sacred forest. Here are any changes.  The skills
             I applied are in the timeline file.  This counts for
             the day after the goblin combat.

                Player       Changes
              Farseeker     Learned Forest Survival now
              Trembyl       +1 EL in Throwing Dagger
              Thig          +1 EL in Forester
              Strie'bog     +3 EL in Marentian Language
              Unali         Learned Forest Survival now

         GM: I have updated the links for the Adventure #3 timeline.
             I also updated the map.  The bottom 2 links on the game
             site shows the current positions (purple) and the
             destination (white) areas.  I also added a link to
             give a map legend for future reference.

         GM: As to Armor.  It depends on the time of year.  Summer
           and Winter.

           Helmets - Leather can be worn at night but why?
                     Metal and Full would hurt the head.

           Shields - Why ?  So they can be at arm's reach not on your
                     stomach or anything.

           Armor -     Summer / Winter
               Leather   No   /  Yes  [Too hot/Good for warmth]
               Quilted   No   /  Yes  [Hot, scratchy/good for warmth]
               Ring      No   /  No   [Hot and metal can make you colder]
               Banded    No   /  Yes  [Hot/Leather can hide the metal]
               Scale     No   /  No   [Can be really scratchy, irritating]
               Brigidine No   /  Yes  [Hot/good for warmth]
               Chainmail No   /  No   [Really heavy and cumbersome]
               Plate     No   /  No   [Too heavy and cumbersome]

           That's how I feel sleeping with armor is.  I assume everyone
           does NOT sleep in armor unless you state.  I also have to
           assume for the chance of death you take time to don armor
           for your protection unless you specifically say otherwise.
           From the action posts I could not determine either way.
           In the summer it can be just too hot and sweaty.  If one
           wants to sleep in leather in the summer they can but they
           may need to avoid others :).  In winter armor can help
           to warm up folks however.  But in the end in small tents
           as the party has wearing armor for 6 or more hours it can
           be annoying turning over and such.  That's my 2 cents.

         [Decalis 15th, 106th day since left Marentia, 41st day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]
          [Time: Around 3:58am.]

          Turn 1: Phase 3

            [Mana Allocation]

               [Arawn inside the tent allocates more mana for
                another spell.]

            [Missile Fire]

               [Thig invisible aims his magical repeating crossbow
                at another goblin and fires.  But the dart misses.]

               [Suddenly from somewhere an arrow impacts onto the
                ground near Trembyl and misses him by a few inches.]

            [Magic Effect] - None

            [Melee & Movement]

               [Corona dives down toward the center of the camp but
                finds no good targets that aren't near tents or
                other people to attack without hurting others so
                he regains height and flies back up.]

               [Z'leyra slips between #1 (a) and #7 (g) being
                faster than a man can run walking she does this
                quickly.  She heads south west then turns north
                and heads north past the armored goblin.  She
                then turns to face the right side of goblin #6 (f).
                Since the goblin hit her she can be seen by that
                goblin.  But to the others she is still invisible.
                She swings her staff at the short goblin.  The
                staff narrowly misses the top of the goblin.]

               [Farseeker exits his tent in the SE and stands up.
                He looks west and sees the wolf taking one goblin
                but doesn't know he is hurt.  He doesn't see the
                other goblin behind the tend.  He also doesn't see
                those attacking Trembyl or how bad he is hurt.  He
                only sees the mass around where Z'leyra used to be.
                He looks east and sees 3 near the horses.  Being the
                closest he runs that way with great sword in hand.
                He passes by the bush and attacks #14 (n) and hits
                the goblin with a undercut under his arm and into
                his left shoulder doing 10 points killing the goblin.]

               [Unali exits her tent and looks around.  She sees
                at least a dozen goblins.  The closest is #3 (c)
                which is attacking Trembyl.  The magical dagger did
                not warn her of any danger exiting the tent so she
                exits quickly.  With a forceful strike she stabs the
                goblin and hits both times.  The first a regular
                hit kills the goblin and the other a severe hit
                just adds more damage to the poor goblin.]

               [Ben'dar exits the tent and looks around.  He sees
                the mass of goblins to his left but turns right
                to the horses.  He whistles for Tef'wo come then
                pulls up his pike and charges #10 (j).  He thrusts
                down at the tiny goblin and hits in the right shoulder.
                The damage is severe at 22 points it does massive
                damage to the goblin and kills him.]

               [The armored thrusts his spear where Z'leyra used to
                be and misses hitting dead air.]

               [Trembyl pulls up his right arm and thrusts his
                magical scimitar at goblin #4 (d).  His arm begins
                to shake so he uses his left hand and the blow
                hits the goblin in the left arm doing 9 points of
                damage (almost cutting it off).  The goblin falls.
                His vision begins to blur from the pain of the arrow
                in his chest. He sees though the other goblin fighting
                him is down as well (unsure why but he doesn't care).
                He falls to his knees and then collapses on the ground
                behind the tent as pain from the arrow takes him.]

               [Chion exits his tent with Sai in hand.  He feels the
                night chill and looks around.  A group of goblins
                he notices to front of him and he sees Ben'dar to
                the right.  He notices Unali across from the campfire.
                He then sees between the row of tents Trembyl lying
                on the ground.  That's odd.  He runs north toward
                Trembyl passing goblin #2 and #4 and between the
                campfire.  He reaches and ends the past at Trembyl.]
               GM: You said you wanted to not attack but defend and
                   use healer.  So this does as you sorta wanted :)

               [The horses begin to stir from the goblin and presence
                of Farseeker.  Tef'wo breaks off from the horses and
                moves to the west but is unsure of what to do at
                this point as he checks the situation out.  He looks
                back to the horses.]

               [Boyzdar with his hurt leg tries to bite at goblin #12
                (l) but fails to strike as his leg gives out from
                under him and forces him to miss.]

               [Suddenly from the bushes at N5 a roar is heard.  Some
                have heard stories of those roars that can break a man
                standing feet away into a blubber.  It is loud and hits
                Z'leyra first at her back bringing hairs rising on her
                neck.  Then from the bushes a tall and long lion with
                a thick black mane charges east toward the camp!]
               GM: Yes I said lion :)

               [Now the goblins react]

               [Goblin #2 (B) swings at Z'leyra but she is no longer
                there.  Goblin #7 and 8 (g,h) swings at thin air
                as well and misses a non-existent Z'leyra)

               [Goblin #6 (f) sees Z'leyra and turns to swing on her
                but her luck ring helps and he misses barely.]

               [Goblin #9 (i) turns and swings his club at Ben'dar
                but the magic of the pike protects and he is missed.]

               [Goblin #12 (l) swings his club at the wolf again
                but fails to hit.]

               [Goblin #15 (o) and #16 (p) give up on the horses
                seeing their friend die and go to each side of
                Farseeker and attack him.  But their blows fail to hit.]

               [Strie'bog exits the tent with axe in hand.  He
                can't see his friend hurt since Tef'wo is blocking
                the view of the wolf.  He turns and remembers where
                the nearest tree is.  For his spell to work he must
                touch a tree.  He heads to the tree at H33 and touches
                it for his spell.  While he does this he looks around
                the scene.]

               [Xian invisible exits the tent which reveals himself
                almost by the tent flap moving giving his location
                to the goblins.  He stands up with his war staff
                and notices four goblins around him staring at his
                general direction.  He curses under his breath.
                Fearing a trap he heads the path Z'leyra down and
                turns west.  Since Z'leyra touched him when she
                casts Dark sight he can see clearly in the darkness
                and is now facing 20 feet away a large lion charging
                his way. "Oh crap!" Fearing death he moves south
                west toward the bushes for a better plan.]

          Turn 1: Phase 4

            [Mana Allocation]

               [Arawn still in his tent casts the last of the man
                for his spell.]

               [Z'leyra allocates mana for a spell.]

               [Strie'bog allocates his wood strength spell.]

            [Missile Fire]

               [Thig doesn't notice the lion below and aims at
                goblin #8 (h) the dart hits the goblin in the
                left arm in a major artery and does 9 points of
                damage.  The goblin falls to the ground.]

               [Suddenly another arrow flies from somewhere and
                hits the ground 3 feet in front of Chion. Chion
                is unsure if it was meant for him or Trembyl.
                He didn't see where it came from but likely north
                or west...and angle was unsure since wasn't looking.]

               [Strie'bog hands glow brown as energy is taken from
                the tree and given to him enforcing his strength.]

            [Magic Effect] - None

               GM: Z'leyra spell failed sorry.  Besides only 5 or
                   so left might not have done much.

            [Melee & Movement]

               [Corona definitely sees a target now the lion.  He
                dives straight for it.  At 3 feet above the lion
                he fires his flame bolts from his eyes and hits
                the lion's rear right leg doing a few points of
                damage but doesn't seem to stop the lion.  Corona
                takes back to the sky.]

               [Z'leyra knows there is something behind her from
                the roar but as long as this one goblin can see
                her its more a threat than the other thing.  She
                swings her staff at it again. The staff hits the
                goblin in the left shoulder and does 8 points
                killing the goblin.]

               [Farseeker turns to the left hoping the bush to his
                rear will block attack from the other goblin.  He
                swings on #15 (o) and the great sword hits and
                impales the goblin almost a third the way through
                his abdomen doing 24 points of damage.]

               [Unali sees Chion cross her path for some reason
                and charges #2 (b).  Both daggers again hit and
                do plenty of damage to kill the goblin.]

               [Ben'dar doesn't see the Lion behind him and
                figures the roar to be some battle cry?  He
                thrusts his pike on #12 (l) and hits for
                another massive damage blow as the pike
                impales through the goblin's chest doing 22
                points of damage.]

               [The armored goblin raises his spear and gives
                out some cry of his out and charges Ben'dar.
                He thrusts his spear at Ben'dar but fails to hit.]

               [Trembyl looks up at Chion in the darkness and
                reaches for his chest.  But his breathing seems
                shallow and he can't speak.]

               [Chion inspects the arrow head.  But since he
                is still learning Healer he has no clue as to what
                to do.  He knows if he pulls it out it could cause
                far more damage if he doesn't get immediate treatment
                right after.  He tries to calm Trembyl down as he
                glances to the north into the darkness looking for
                that enemy archer. If only he had got his shield he
                could block some arrows.]

               [The horses move east a bit away from farseeker and
                the fight.]

               [Tef'wo neighs at Ben'dar but turns back to the horses.
                He charges toward and leaps over the bush.  He then
                stands and kicks goblin #16 (p) and does 4 points
                of damage to the goblin knocking him down.  Seeing
                Tef'wo do this other horses nearby help and 3 horses
                stomp on the goblin and kill him.]

               [Boyzdar sees no immediate threat and begins to lick
                his leg then sees the Lion charge.  Instinct seems
                to kick in and he tries to stand stall but pulls up
                his wounded leg.  Wolves may have attacked Lions in
                some place and instinct tells him this lion is a danger.
                He begins to growl.]

               [Arawn peeks out of the tent and looks in both
                directions.  He sees the Lion in the distance and
                raises a finger to direct his spell west.  Since
                there is full light he forces the spell into the
                bushes where there is little light and the spell
                of magical force creatures attack the lion.
                The creatures of shadow attack and punch the
                lion and do both a total of 12 points to the lion
                harming it.]

               [The Lion looks to the bushes but only sees darkness.
                Confused he sees targets and charges the 10 feet
                to the east outside the range of the creatures.]

               [Goblin #7 (g) turns and charges the 5 feet toward
                Unali.  He thrusts his spear at her and hits but
                the chainmail blocks the blow.]

               [Goblin #9 (i) clubs Ben'dar and hits but the
                dragon armor protects him as well.]

               GM: See without armor now Unali and Ben'dar would've
                 been hurt! :)

               [Strie'bog moves from the tree and over to Boyzdar
                and checks him out and pets him.  He'll live but
                the lion he is worried about.  He waits for his
                next move.]
               GM: Run out of movement.

               [Xian knows if he attacks the Lion it'll see him
                and tear him apart.  He waits for a chance to strike.]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Monday...

          GM: Ben'dar your doing massive damage with the pike and
            it maybe damaged twice now.  I'll check after the
            combat.  But when you do massive damage the weapon
            could break.  You may want to hold back some strength
            or switch weapons :)

          GM: Only 2 goblins left.  The armored one.  And the
              one by Ben'dar and campfire.  The lion though is
              about to possibly attack someone.
              I removed the dead off the map to keep clutter low.

  [Goblin Encounter Camp Map]  [End of Phase 4]

         1         2         3         4
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__A  1 Hex \ 10 feet
\__/  \__/  \_*/  \__/  \__%% \__/  \_%%% \__/  B  1 Row =  5 feet
/%%%%%%%%\__/%%%%_/*%%%_/  \__/*%%__%%*\%_/  \__C  1 Col =  5 feet
\_%%%*%%*/  \__/  \__%%%\__/  \__/  \__%%%%%_/  D
/ %%%_/  \__/  *__/  \__/* \__/%%%__/  \__/  *__E  @@ = Campfire
\__/  \__/  \%%%  \_%%%%%%_/ *%%%%  \__/  \__/  F  [] = 1 man tent
/ %%%%*  \*_/  \__/  \*%%* \__/  \__/  *__/ %%%_G       2'x6'
\__%%%%%_/  %%%%% \__/  \__/  %%*%% %%%%  \_*/  H  [] = 2 man tent
/ %%%%/  \%%%% \__/  \__/  \_%%%S\__/  %%%/  \__I  []   3'x6.5'
\__/ *\_*/  *__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__*  \_%%% J
/%%%%%/  \__/  \__/[]\CR/  []_%% \_%%%%\__%%%\__K  H = 1 Horse
\*_/  *__/  \_*% Z\[]  []__[] \__/HHH%%%  \__/  L
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  U__/  \__/  \HHH* \__*  \__M  Tents openings
\_%%%%%__/  \__/ L\_g/@@\__/  \%%F _\__/  \_%%% N    Row L opens South
/  %%%%% \_%%%%%__/  i_S/  \__/%%\HHH %%%_/  \__O    Row Q Opens North
\__/  \__/  %%_X  \_aB W\__/  \__/ HH*_/  \__/  P
/  \_*/  \__/% \__/[]  []  []_/  %%%%% \__/  \__Q          North
\__%%%%%_/  *__/  \[]/  \__/  \__/%%%__/  \_%%%%R           /|\
/  \__/ %%%%%  \__/  \__/  \%%%% \__/*%%%_/  \__S    West <  *  > East
\__*  \_%%*%%%_/  \_%%%%\__*%%%__/  \_%%% \_*%%%T           \|/
/  \__/  %%**%%\__/  *%%/  \_%%% \__/  \_%%%%%__U          South
\__/  \__/%%%%_/  \__/%%\__/  \__*  \%%%% *__/  V   * = Tree
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678    % = Bush
         1         2         3         4

  Positions -

       Player  Symbol Location         Status
     Arawn       A     [L29]     In Tent, Awake
     Strie'bog   S     [P24]     Outside, Awake
     Ben'dar     B     [P22]     Outside, Awake
     Chion       C     [K23]     Outside, Awake
     Farseeker   F     [N34]     Outside
     Thig        T     [N19]     In Air, 30 feet up, invisible, off map
     Trembyl     R     [K24]     Outside, Down on the ground?
     Unali       U     [M22]     Outside, Awake
     Xian        X     [P16]     Outside, Invisible
     Z'leyra     Z     [L18]     Outside, Awake, Invisible
     Corona      C     [L15]     Flying high somewhere,
     Boyzdar     W     [P25]     Awake, Attacking goblin
     Tef'wo      H     [Q33]     Awake
     Lion        L     [N18]     Charging

     Goblin  #1  a     [P21]     Attacking Z'leyra, Armor, Spear
             #2  b     [M21]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #3  c     [L23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #4  d     [K23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             $5  e     [L23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #6  f     [L19]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #7  g     [N21]  Attacking Unali
             #8  h     [N21]  [Dead] []Off Map]
             #9  i     [Q22]     Club, Dagger
             #10 j     [P23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #11 k     [P23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #12 l     [Q23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #13 m     [Q23]  [Dead] [Off Map]
             #14 n     [N25]  [Dead[ [Off Map]
             #15 o     [M34]  [Dead[ [Off Map]
             #16 p     [O24]  [Dead] [Off Map]

     Status -
          Dead Goblin - 14
       Wounded Goblin - 1
              Wounded - Z'leyra, Trembyl, Wolf

  Light Description - Campfire light goes out 3 hexes 100%, 4 hexes
    at 80%, 5 hexes 60%, 6 30%, 7 10%, 8 no light.  Light will affect
    combat (especially missile fire).  No moon light.  Star light only.
    No torches or lanterns are lit this hour.