[pnpgm] Game update #24 - File #112 - A forest night encounter..

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Fri Mar 2 08:38:23 CET 2007

  R1 John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update 224 in sequence (file #112)

     Admin notes:  I hope my views in last update doesn't deter
     anyone on their free will.  I wanted to give everyone some info
     on where I stand with game mechanics.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar looks at Xian blankly for a moment.  Then he nods and
          says grimly, "Yes, I meant to kill him.  He was foolish to
          attack so many, especially without any way to escape."  He
          holds out his gore-encrusted pike to the wizard and adds,
          "Would you like to learn?" In addition to continuing the horse
          husbandry training, Ben'Dar will spend his spare moments
          putting the finishing touches on his wolf headdress.
          Specifically, he will look for good quality leather, which he
          will braid into long, thin lengths and attach them all along
          the bottom fringe of the headdress (these will hang down
          behind him while he wears the headdress).  Into these braids,
          he will weave beads, feathers, claws, teeth, etc.  He is also
          on the lookout for two good-sized yellow gems to set in the
          eye sockets of the headdress.  He is careful to keep this out
          of Strie'bog's sight, seeing as how the bard has a wolf for a
          pet, Ben'Dar does not want to upset him.
        GM: Ack.  No spare leather lying about.  However Unali's leather
            suit is ruined.  You could ask her for the remaining parts
            since it has a big gap in it now.   Might be able to get
            some small leather pieces from it.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]/Joke]
          All Chion wanted was an EL 20 flying magically enhanced stone
          Automata to put his EL 20 Simulcrum in for safe keeping...

          (:P)
          (We all know this is a joke, right. Of course he'd rather make
          EL 20 flying magically enhanced stone Automata armor... lol)
        GM: Ack. :)

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          That night, over dinner, Strie'bog enjoys the companionship
          of his friends, and as dinner finishes, he begins to talk
          about the sacred forest.

          [Text here removed and placed below in speech.]
        GM: Ack.  Good speech.

         GM: First some business - Days 40-42 for Skill training.
             I will report results here.

                Player          Skill         Total Points
             Ben'dar    :   Horse Husbandry        3
             Farseeker  :   Forset Survival        3 [Learning skill]
             Arawn      :   Scimitar               6
             Xian       :   Forester               6
             Chion      :   Healer                 6
             Trembyl    :   Throwing Dagger        3
             Strie'bog  :   Marentian              6
             Thig       -   Forester               6
             Unali      :   Forest Survival        6 [Learning skill]
             Z'leyra    :   Horse Husbandry        6 [Learning skill]

             GM: Ben'dar - +1 EL now considered professional as a
                           Husbander in my eyes.
                 Arawn   - +1 EL.  Arawn I forgot what you said after
                           You get the EL increase now what?
                           You trained under Trembyl for this skill.
                 Chion   - Trained under Z'leyra
               Strie'bog - +3 EL, You now speak the language well enough
                           enough to be a school graduate in the language.
                 Thig    - +1 EL.

         [Decalis 13th, 104th day since left Marentia, 39th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest - Strie'bog's cabin/home]

          [Time: 5:45pm]

          [Xian and Ben'dar talk quietly among themselves and
           Ben'dar replies to Xian about beheading the man. Xian
           stares at Ben'dar.  He realizes Ben'dar is showing
           signs of confidence but he feels Ben'dar is also in slight
           shock.  But warriors can be that way after a bloody battle.
           He raises his hands and shoos away the Pike.]

          Xian: "No thanks!  I'm no warrior.  That stuff I leave to
            you and Farseeker.  As to their escape I suspect they
            were hoping to get rescued by the flying man.  I suspect
            they never knew he cowardly left them on their own.  But
            bad guys tend to do that.  If they had gotten to horses
            I'm sure they would've left us and we'd have to chase
            them.  As to them being hostile we can assume they were
            bad but we did surprise them.  The flying man could've
            thought US intruders and had to do what he needed to do.
            I'm hoping they were bad guys but we should look at
            all alternatives.  These two out here though did attack
            us on sight so I suspect they were bad."

          [Xian begins to turn and walk away when he turns again
           and grins.]

          Xian: "But that was one heck of a kill shot!"

          [Time: 7:18pm]

          [As the party sit down to dinner inside while some unfournate
           sentries patrol outside Strie'bog begins to explain about
           the Sacred Forest.]

          Strie'bog: "As I mentioned, my mother made reference that she
            was heading to the sacred heart of the forest.  From what
            you all have said, many of you have never been in such a
            place.  There are some rules you must be willing to follow
            if you want to enter this place, and you may want to know
            something of the nature of the forest."

           "I have heard discussion of chaos, law and balance, as well
            as the power of the Sidh and Elder.  There is yet another
            power, one distinct from these normally seen.  You have heard
            me talk about the Court of Life, the Court of Cernunnos, but
            I have never really spoken of where this divine court resides
            in the conflicts of Law, Chaos, Balance, Sidh and Elder.  It
            is part of none of these, but in a sense, it touches all of
            these. It is a neutral power."

           "Unlike Balance, which seeks to keep the power of law and
            chaos in check, to keep them even, the power of neutrality
            overlooks these extremes as natural to life.  Nature has
            laws, but it also has chaos inherent within its very weave.
            No two creatures are alike, unless twins.  One sibling may
            be tall, the other short, and is not variability a function
            of chaos?"

           "I once overheard a discussion my father had with Miklav. They
            were discussion the differences and similarities between
            neutrality and balance.  My father made the point that when
            one bird dies, another is born to takes its place, thus the
            balance is preserved. Miklav laughed, and said my father had
            spent too long in a monestery listening to people talk about
            birds."

           "Miklav took my father into the woods, and opened the forest
            to show him the history of the woods.  There my father saw
            birds live and die; saw numerous young being born only to
            starve, with no new birds to take their place.  He saw an
            entire heard of beautiful golden colored deer die off in a
            harsh winter, never to be seen again within the forest."

           "My friend, you now see that life occurs.  The balance you
            speak of is not a thing of the present, but an abstract
            accounting of the gods. This is the difference between
            balance and neutrality.  While you try to account for each
            bird, we accept that while life changes, it also goes along
            on its way generally unchanged.'"

           "As I grew older, Miklav made his comments more clear.
            Neutrality is the basis of life.  It sits between all of
            the powers, and just moves along.   Birth, death, rebirth
            with change is the cycle of life.  So what these does
            neutrality fight for?  Survival.  All creatures want to
            survive, and so we fight to survive.  The great serpent
            seeks to end life, so we fight to preserve life.  Does this
            mean we cry when something dies?  If it was an unjust,
            preventable death, we will mourn."

           "If it was necessary, as the death of those men at my mother's
            house, then we move on.  Does a wolf feel remorse for killing
            its prey?  Does a wolf feel remorse when protecting the pack?
            No."

           "How does this affect the sacred forest?  Well Miklav is
            a servant of Cernunnos, and therefore follows the path of
            neutrality.  The forest's heart is a place for life, but it
            also a place of communion.  As such, violence is not tolerated
            there.  You may think this odd, but cannot the wolf and deer
            share water from the same stream with no violence? Such is
            this place, for in the world there is a place for violence
            and a place for peace.  The sacred heart is a place of peace.
            Weapons may not be drawn within the bounds of the forest
            without dire repercussions."

           "Remember this.  Also, to enter the forest, you must be
            invited. As one tied to this forest, it knows me, and the
            forest will grant me entrance, but I will have to invite
            each of you into the heart.  Know that you come to a sacred
            place, but a place of life.  The forest does not judge you
            on your previous actions, but by your intent.  So as we
            approach, clear your mind.  Enjoy the beauty around you.
            Acknowledge and give thanks for the life within you.  If you
            wish, use this journey to unburden the pains of the past,
            and be reborn in the sacred heart of the forest."

          [As Strie'bog finishes Boyzdar, content and happy to be
           home, falls asleep near the fireplace in the main area.]

          [As the party ponder Strie'bog's words Xian is the first
           to speak up.]

          Xian: "'Neutrality is the basis of life'.  I've never
            thought of it that way.  Thanks for explaining this.
            It makes sense and something for us to think about.
            When you train in magic in most places you only learn
            of the three big paths."

          Thig: "Golden deer?  I've heard of those.  They are
            extinct in the Wild Forest.  I forget their name but
            was told it once before.  Fu'zam or something from
            the Elf language.  I heard they allow one to age
            slower or not at all by grinding their horns.  Once
            they die of course.  Is that the same kind?"

          Farseeker: "I pledge non-violence.  A warrior can hold
            his weapons back if there is a solution to words."

          Trembyl: "It sounds like a great place to live.  It makes
            sense.  I've heard of great spans of death in some
            regions like the desert so a place where this type
            of situation is sounds wonderful."

          [As the conversation continues the night grows on and
           the cold creeps in.  No one asks to sleep in the
           master bedroom where Strie'bog's mom and dad slept.  That
           would be just rude.  Strie'bog sleeps in his own old bed
           and sleeps well and warm from the fire place.  Aside from
           Ben'dar and the sentries most sleep in the main room to
           warm from the fireplace.]

          GM: No one had posted who they were willing to be healed
            by or heal to.  So will assume just simple bandages
            and blood clotting.  Natural healing then.

           [By morning Arawn heals naturally fully.  Unali also
            seems to be fully healed.]

           [The worst wound is Farseeker with 8 points from the
            battle axe.  He asks Xian to heal him and he casts
            the spell to heal.  The spell heals 5 points and
            he naturally heals the other 3 by time the party leaves
            so he is fully healed.]

           [Z'leyra heals naturally 5 but still has 1 point of
            damage by morning.]

           [Xian and Strie'bog fail to heal naturally and remain
            by the time they leave with 1 point of damage.]

         [Decalis 14th, 105th day since left Marentia, 40th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [At Sunrise the party breaks camp.  Ben'dar has been up
           for some time and has kindly already saddled most of
           the horses for the party and gave them some food and
           water.  The night goes well with no encounters or
           trouble.  Fears of the flying man returning does not
           pan out.  If he is cowardly to flee he is probably
           too much a coward to come back most feel.]

          [The sun rises and from the clearing where the cabin is
           the party can see its going to be a pleasant day.  The
           rest of the day becomes clear with little or no clouds.
           Temperatures rise to only about 68 as a high.  At one
           point in the afternoon little after 2pm a dark cloud does
           roll overhead and quickly fades but before it does a
           slight cold drizzle falls for a few seconds.  Enough to
           give everyone a quick damp feeling.  But otherwise nothing
           else bad weather wise happens.]

          [Only two hours after leaving the party encounters a group
           in the forest.  Around 8:03am Corona and Thig report
           a group of 7 Centaur in the forest.  Seeing Thig the
           Centaur do not react in any hostile manner.  Seeing Arawan,
           Strie'bog and Z'leyra they lower all weapons in a non
           hostile show of goodwill.  Thig directly talks to them
           first and the party learn they are on a simple hunting
           mission for their group.  They are about 2 days ride
           from their camp in the south.  There are 7 Centaur all
           are male.  One Centaur carries a bow and quiver.  The
           others all have a small shield and boar spear.  Talk of
           seeing any humans in the area is quickly asked by Thig.
           But the Centaur report not seeing a human in about 3
           days. The only one they've seen is an Elf moving through
           the forest.  Course when an Elf wants to be seen there
           is little doubt of being worried about him. The Centaur
           give the party good luck on their journey.]

          Centaur: "May the forest help you and your friends get
            to your destination quickly and without harm.  May
            Nature be neither a hinder or aloof in your journey."

          [He speaks this to Strie'bog directly.]

          [Soon the Centaur head deeper into the forest going north
           as the party heads east.]

          Thig: "They seemed over friendly.  Most Centaur on hunts
            can get....rather...grouchy.....guess its this place."

          [That night camp is made and no other encounters occur.]

         [Decalis 15th, 106th day since left Marentia, 41st day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]
          [Location: Pavassa Forest]

          [Today the clouds roll in making it 70-80% cloudy all day.
           As a result the temperatures plunge with only a high
           of 52 at noon.  Winter clothing is put on tightly today.
           A wind storm occurs late that night which blows tents
           about like rags around 9pm.  The horses have to huddle
           at this time to remain warm.]

          [Around 3:58am the party is quiet.  At this time Thig
           and Trembyl are up and on sentry duty.  Thig sits on
           a tall tree limb by a sleeping Corona and dangles his
           feet watching the camp and surrounding forest.  Trembyl
           is on foot on patrol around the camp perimeter.

          [Thig then notices movement in the forest as a glint or
           something.  He pulls up his shoulders to get a better
           view and notices a tusk.  Could it be a boar?  Its certainly
           small enough.  The tusk moves and disappears but a spear
           head is seen.  Boars don't use spears!  He dives off the
           limb and begins to hover to get a better view.  But he
           loses the sight in the dark forest.  He looks around further
           and notices another tusk just feet away in a bush near
           the walking Trembyl.  Thig dives down straigt for the
           creature and suddenly the air slices by with an arrow
           which barely misses him.  Thig twirls and grabs his buckler.
           He sees below and to the left of him a 3 foot creature
           with tusks standing in a bush with a bow.  Thig sees him
           and knows what he is.  He yells out.]

          Thig: "Goblins!"

          [Trembyl looks up and unsheathes his Scimitar.]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next update Monday...

          The Timeline file has been updated with skills and new
          dates on it on Game Website.

          Strie'bog, Z'leyra and Xian are now at 100%.  They
          healed the morning of the Goblin encounter.  So everyone
          is at 100% Health wise.

          Since I have no lists of spells from folks I don't know
          of Mana levels at this time.  The deadline for the 3 day
          spells (if done) ends Monday.  If none given by then
          then will figure out mana levels by time enter Sacred
          forest.

          I've run out of time for this update.  So I don't have
          a camp layout done.  I will work on it today when I
          get up (Friday).  If you want to wait for it you can
          before posting actions.  Hopefully by Friday night
          it should be up on the Game Website.  I won't post
          a supplement just post the map on the website.  I'd
          suggest looking at the site by 8pm EST to see if its
          there if not then Saturday.  It will show where folks
          are in the camp.