[pnpgm] Game update #113 - File #425 - Party vs Calvary

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Sep 12 05:57:47 CEST 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #113  in sequence (file #425)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar says in a low voice, "Help me get them back in
          their beds.  Maybe we can keep things quiet for just a bit
          longer this way..."  Ben'Dar will toss the dead men back
          in their beds, covering them with blankets to make them
          look like they're still sleeping.  He'll arrange the room
          to try to hide all traces of the fight.

          Ben'Dar looks around the room and briefly checks the
          tables, wooden chests, etc to see if there is any
          interesting loot.

          Once these things have been done quickly and quietly,
          he looks to Chion for the party's next move.  Until the
          party decides where to move next, Ben'Dar will post
          himself near the door and keep an eye and an ear out for
          any sign that their presence in the castle has been
          discovered.
        GM:  Ack.

                          ----------------------------

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra prays aloud "May these spirits have peace." She
          cleans her dagger, picks up her staff and glances around
          to see if any of the party was hurt. Then she does a more
          thorough look at the floor, walls and ceiling to see if
          any illusions or items of interest reveal themselves to
          her gaze.

          As she starts looking she states "Those whose targets
          are still alive should bind them so that they do not
          raise the alarm or attack us from the back when they
          awaken."

          She briefly puts her dagger down while she slings her
          staff across her back under her satchel's shoulder strap.
          She takes the dagger in hand again. When the party gets
          ready to leave the room she will cast (first Orient Self
          if needed) Speed on herself.
        GM: Ack.

                          ----------------------------

        From Unali: [Re: Actions]
          Unali will position herself near the door in case someone
          tries to come in.

          She considers the L'pnth men to be no more than slaves
          of the female priestesses and loathes the priestesses
          given her background. So will try to subdue all men
          encountered if possible, but try to kill the women.

          The current update schedule/express gaming is fine by me.
        GM:  Ack.

        Octaqi 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 60 of Trip]
        [Time: 4:03am]

        [As the battle ends everyone stands for several seconds
         to ensure no one comes in.  While there was no overt
         noise in the room like a yell there was folks hitting
         beds and muffled noises.  Luckily based on the layout
         of the floor Chion describes the room next door is the
         weapons armory.  That means no one may have heard.  But
         just 30 feet down the hall is another barracks.  The
         door is wooden and tends to absorb the sounds better.
         Several help Ben'dar place bodies back on the beds.  Only
         four need to be.]

        Xian: "Its no use.  Anyone coming in even at this dim light
          can tell something is wrong."

        [Folks nod.  The air is full of that metallic blood like
         smell so often found on battle sights.  With 14 slit throats
         the blood poured fast and furious.  Each bed is a single
         bed with a white sheet and a thicker grayish blanket for
         the cold cavern (room) nights.  The room has no obvious heat
         sources so the blanket is it for warmth.  Even with covering
         bodies up the blood has virtually soaked half the white sheet
         and some of the gray blanket.  Even at a simple guess the
         blood splatter and soaked blankets is a sign of trouble.]

        [A quick look around the room finds nothing of value other
         than weapons.  There are:
           13 Maces, 26 Spears, 7 Daggers, 20 Leather Armor, 7 Bucklers
         The armor and weapons are either to the side with clothing
         (not worn) or in the footlockers.  The only loot collected
         so far are coins.  They are bagged quickly into one bag for
         later party treasure: 2,110 BB and 730 CC all of L'p'nth
         coinage however which the cities use but not so often the
         tribes use.  To collect the weapons the party will have to
         return and gather them all up.  There are assorted many
         pieces of personal items like personal clothing (robes
         of yellow or brown - but mostly brown), letters to girls
         and family (though none are read due to time but its easy
         to figure out this has to be the case), eating utensils and
         some camping gear (bedroll, water, etc stuff a warrior would
         need in the field during battle).  On the table are mugs,
         food plates, candles (unlit), dice and playing cards typical
         of men's barracks.]

        GM: Will consider the coin party treasure.  To get the
          weapons and other gear they'll need to get later.

        [Z'leyra gives a quick prayer over the dead.  She looks
         around but sees nothing of interest.  Trembyl is better
         at knowing illusions and doesn't see any.]

        [Unali with the help of Balrog, Chion and Kasha help tie
         and gag up the two knocked out males Unali knocked out.
         then they are placed under the bed for safe keeping.]

        GM: No one said they'd kill them so they are kept unconscious.

        Balrog: "I've had to stab folks in the back.  Its part
          of my...job description...but this...this is disgusting.
          I hope never to do this again."

        Trembyl: "The room is clear of problems.  Sometimes things
          have to be done to avoid further death."

        Kasha: "I checked none of them have bugs.  That means
          they acted on their own wills.  If they didn't get
          killed here they'd want to kill us later."

        Balrog: "End justifies the means?" [He shakes his head.]

        Thig: "No magic in the room aside from the wizards and
          magical items your carrying.  Speaking of which this
          clouds my senses.  I will try to lead us in the front
          and sense any magic and warn us.  But the magic I sense
          from Chion, Xian, Trembyl, Strie'bog and especially
          Z'leyra with all that gear does distort things.  Not
          including the magic items Balrog, Ben'dar, Kasha
          and Unali carry.  Z'leyra is like a beacon of mana from
          where I stand."

        Farseeker: "Are we ready?  Chion mentioned he saw a guard
          leave the room to the south.  Based on what he saw into
          the room it looked like another sleeping quarters. Based
          on that guard he followed it appeared to be a Calvary
          uniform the guard wore.  They seem to dress differently
          than footmen like their high boots and gloves.  We should
          head there next to take them out.  That will give us
          a big lead on the enemy numbers.  if we skip them it
          will cost it dearly."

        GM: Will assume this is ok as no one suggested where to
          go next.  Chion did mention going through the wall to
          the armory.  But that would bypass the second barracks
          and plus the wall is too thick for even his water
          spells (and lined with metal inside the armory.  I
          hope this is ok with everyone?

        [The first to peer out is Thig who has a smaller head and
         less a obvious target.  He peers into the hallway and
         uses his keen eyes.  He leans back in and states.]

        Thig: "No one.  Let's go."

        [Thig leads the group with Chion and Farseeker in the
         lead.  The party heads south across the large hallway
         30 feet and then rounds the corner.  After 200 feet of
         walking the party gets to the door.  This door is a bit
         more sturdy looking but still wooden.  Weapons are ready...]

  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'   1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet
                                    I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet
                                    I # # # # #IB   # = Bed/Foot Locker
                                    I          IC   @ = Table
                                    I . at .     #ID   . = Chair
                                    [    ...   IE  $$ = Gear locker
                                    I$   @@@  #IF
                                    I$   @@@   IG  X = Person [4]
                                    I$   ...  #IH
                                    I#         II
                                    I_#_#_#_#_#IJ

       [That's the map from the larger map.]

       GM: Entry will be done via normal combat movement.

       [Ambush - Turn 0]

         [Thig checks the door and wall for magic but finds none.
          Farseeker nods to Trembyl to open the door and the party
          charge in...]

         [Everyone enters the room but you quickly realize the scale
          of this room is bigger.  The room is also pitch darkness
          and folks almost run into a table (Z'leyra, Farseeker)
          and chairs.  The only one to get near a person is Chion
          north of the room but not quite to a person yet.   Thig
          is the last to enter and he grabs a torch from outside
          when he sees the darkness inside.   This will alert the
          enemy but its better to see while you fight for those
          without Thig's night vision.]

         [End of phase]
  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'          F=Farseeker
       1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet     T=Trembyl
      I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet       B=Ben'dar
      I # # # # #IB   # = Bed/Foot Locker   U=Unali
      I C        IC   @ = Table             R=Balrog
      IS. at .     #ID   . = Chair             C=Chion
     / HKZF...   IE  $$ = Gear locker       K=Kasha
      I$RU @@@  #IF                         S=Strie'bog
      I$TB @@@   IG                         X=Xian [Off map]
      I$   ...  #IH                         H=Thig
      I#         II
      I_#_#_#_#_#IJ

       [Turn 1: Phase 1]

         [Of the 14 fighters 4 wake up and based on their training
          grab weapons.  Unfournately no armor for them.]

         [Farseeker heads toward one who woke up but is feet from
          him stil.]

         [Trembyl heads south to one bed.]

         [Ben'dar gets to one bed.  He swings down his long pike
          which reaches and hits doing 10 points to the guard's
          chest.  The guard never wakes...]

         [Unali heads south and Balrog rounds Z'leyra going east.]

         [Thig closes the door so not to attract attention.]

         [Z'leyra heads north.]

         [Chion grins a the first guard in the NW corner who
          just woke and comes behind him.  Amazingly though
          he fails to hit in the darkness in the corner as the
          man twists out of the way.]

         [Kasha heads east.  Strie'bog stays by the door and
          readies the bow just in case.]
         GM: Strie'bog without actions and a melee weapon its
          hard to figure out actions for you?  Sorry.

         [Xian heads east.]

         [Guard #1 grabbed the first thing he found his lance.
          Unfournately its rather hard to use in tight quarters.
          Nevertheless his training helps.  He swings around
          and tries to hit Chion but misses.]

         [Guard #3 leaps out of bed only with pants on and grabs
          a dagger.  He swings wildly at Farseeker but fails to
          hit him.]

         [Guard #7 only had a javelin near his bed.  Fearing
          for his young life he picks it up and picks a target.
          He throws it at Kasha who is on the left side of the
          table some 39 feet away.  The javelin flies and does
          his Kasha but the 2 point blow doesn't penetrate his
          quilted and ring armor.  It hits him and only bounces off.]

         [Guard #12 wakes up and jumps out of bad naked.  With
          reflexes tuned for horse riding he grabs his mace on
          the side without looking.  He charges toward Ben'dar
          and swings and misses.]

         [End of turn 1: phase 1]
  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'          F=Farseeker
       1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet     T=Trembyl
      I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet       B=Ben'dar
      ICX #X# # #IB   # = Bed/Foot Locker   U=Unali
      I   ZF     IC   @ = Table             R=Balrog
      IS. at .     #ID   . = Chair             C=Chion
      [H XRK..   IE  $$ = Gear locker       K=Kasha
      I$   @@@  XIF                         S=Strie'bog
      I$   @@@   IG                         X=Xian
      I$  U...  #IH  X=Alive guard          H=Thig
      I#T BX     II  D=Dead [J4]
      I_#_D_#_#_#IJ

         X=#1  [A2]   X=#3  [A5]   X=#7  [F10]  X=#12 [I5]

       [Turn 1: Phase 2]

         [Farseeker thrusts his great sword at #3 and impales the
          guard quickly doing 10 points of damage.  The guard sags
          against the north wall.]

         [Trembyl heads around the bed and with his dagger cuts
          the guard's throat quickly before he can wake.]

         [Ben'dar turns and swings his pike at #12 who just tried
          to attack him and hits doing 9 points of damage with
          the pike but the man still stands.]

         [Unali charges #12 as well and swings both daggers at
          the guard.  The guard hit with one falls to the ground
          knocked out.]

         [Thig places the torch on the smaller table and grabs
          for his war staff.]

         [Balrog heads east.]

         [Z'leyra heads besides #2's bed.  The sleeping guard's
          neck is found and she cuts the neck with her magical
          dagger.  Unfournately the first cut doesn't do quite
          enough and the guard will choke to death rather than
          a quick death.]

         [Chion thrusts his sai at the guard with the lance (#1)
          and hits him in the upper chest doing 13 points of
          damage killing the guard.]

         [Kasha heads east toward #7 who throw the javelin at him
          but doesn't reach him.]

         [Xian heads Northeast.]

         [Guard #2 reaches for his throat where Z'leyra cut him
          and tries to desperately stop the bleeding.  In the
          dim light Z'leyra can see his eyes of desperation meet
          hers.  The guard must not be older than 17...]

         [Amazingly guard #4/#5 still sleep.]

         [Guard #6 wakes and grabs the only weapon near by a
          lance.  He charges Balrog but misses by inches.]

         [Guard #7 without weapons charges nearby Kasha.  He
          swings his fist at Kasha and hits him in the cheek
          doing damage but Kasha stands his ground.]

         [Guard #8 and #13 remain in their beds still asleep.]

         [Guard #14 raises from his bed and grabs the mace next
          to him on the wall.  He stands and looks at his enemy
          and wonders if he can make it to the door.  But theres
          lots of folks blocking his way...he raises his mace ready..]

         [End of turn 1: phase 2]
  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'          F=Farseeker
       1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet     T=Trembyl
      I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet       B=Ben'dar
      ICDZXD# X XIB   # = Bed/Foot Locker   U=Unali
      I    F     IC   @ = Table             R=Balrog
      ISH at . X RX#ID   . = Chair             C=Chion
      [    ...KX IE  $$ = Gear locker       K=Kasha
      I$   @@@  #IF                         S=Strie'bog
      I$   @@@   IG                         X=Xian
      I$  U...  XIH  X=Alive guard          H=Thig
      I#  Bx   X II  D=Dead [J4,A5,J2,A2]
      I_DTD_#_#_#IJ  x=Unconscious [I5]

         X=#7  [F9]  X=#6 [D9]  X=#14 [I9]  [Standing]
         X=#4  [B8]  X=#5 [B10] X=#8  [H10] [In Bed/Sleep]
         X=#2  [B4]                         [In Bed/Bleeding]
         X=#9  [IA]

         GM: I goofed in my haste I think I skipped one guard. :<

       [Turn 1: Phase 3]

         [Farseeker heads to #4's bed who is still sleeping and
          brings down his sword on the guard's chest impaling
          him quite swiftly.]

         [Trembyl didn't see the Bed to his left behind the locker
          and heads toward the sleeping #9 guard.  He cuts the
          guard's throat as well.]

         [Ben'dar leaps over the body Unali just took down and
          charges #14 unfournately the swing is big and misses.]

         [Unali rounds the table and chairs and heads toward #14
          as well but gets just behind Ben'dar.]

         [Balrog swings his dagger at #7 and hits doing 7 points
          of damage but the guard still stands.]

         [Z'leyra sees the boy choke and in a show of mercy she
          ends the boy's life this time quickly with her dagger.]

         [Chion rounds the bed and heads eastward.]

         [Kasha swings his mace at #7 and hits and with that
          blow kills the guard.]

         [Xian continues to the NE corner of the room.]

         [Guard #6 ducks and with a forceful upper cut he thrusts
          the small lance right up into Balrog and impales the
          thief doing 7 points of damage.]

         [Guard #14 swings on Ben'dar but misses with his mace.]

         [Guard #5 wakes up and grabs the javelin near him.  He
          sees Xian coming toward him but is unsure of action.]

         [Guard #8 wakes up and grabs his dagger under his pillow.
          He sees Ben'dar and leaps out of bed.  He stabs Ben'dar
          Ben'dar's magical pikes help protect him and the blow
          which would've been severe only becomes a normal hit
          but the dagger doesn't penetrate his tough dragon armor.]

         [End of turn 1: phase 3]
  [Barracks Calvary]     - 80x150'          F=Farseeker
       1234567890     1 Column = 8 feet     T=Trembyl
      I----------IA   1 Row = 15 feet       B=Ben'dar
      I DZDD#FD XIB   # = Bed/Foot Locker   U=Unali
      I    C   X IC   @ = Table             R=Balrog
      ISH at .   RX#ID   . = Chair             C=
      x/Chion
      [    ...KD IE  $$ = Gear locker       K=Kasha
      I$   @@@  #IF                         S=Strie'bog
      I$   @@@   IG                         X=Xian
      I$   ... X#IH  X=Alive guard          H=Thig
      IDT  x UBX II  D=Dead [J4,A5,J2,A2,B8,IA,B4,E9]
      I_D_D_#_#_#IJ  x=Unconscious [I5]

         X=#6 [D9]  X=#14 [I9]
         X=#5 [B10] X=#8  [H9]

         GM: Only 4 remain.

         #6  - top Right surrounded by Balrog, Xian, Kasha
         #14 - Bottom Right, Near Ben'dar, Unali
         #5  - Top right near Xian
         #8  - Bottom Right near Ben'dar

         Balrog is hurt.

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update Friday...

          Votes: Ben'dar   - Yes     Chion     - Yes
                 Z'leyra   - Yes     Farseeker - Yes
                 Thig      - Yes     Trembyl   - Yes
                 Strie'bog - Yes     Unali     - Yes

         Now for something on the serious front.  Today's update
         comes out on the now what seems to be sacred 9/11 date.
         I don't have to explain what it means to those in the
         USA or even outside.  We all here are pro-freedom and
         pro-life.  Politics aside from who did it and who is
         to blame we must sit back and think of this day and other
         dates like it in our lives.  To think about where we
         will go and where we've been.  If one thing 9/11 has
         taught us is that life is short.  We should live for
         each minute with friends, family and loved ones.  For
         one day we can wake up and poof not be there by sundown.
         This date 9/11 will become one of the biggest dates for
         america together with The Alamo, Pearl Harbor and the
         murder of JFK.  We'll always remember days like these
         as long as we live.  But in the end its how we learn from
         these days and the days to come that is critical to our
         life.  While this game is all fun and games we should
         pray (or at least give a moment of silence if your not
         religious) for those victims, the families of the victims,
         friends of the victims, the "enemy" (whoever they maybe)
         and for our leaders and society as a whole.  I lost a
         friend in 9/11 in the first tower.  If you didn't lose
         someone then you still are affected as society has changed
         for the worse (or better depending on your view) forever.

       Unfournately ran out of time to finish likely the last phase.
       I may do it tomorrow night to get it over with.  This
       update took 3.5 hours to do and its bed time.  Actions?

       Ok! Minutes before I spell check this I get an email from
       Strie'bog.  I got his vote.  So Express Gaming will start.
       I'll move folks faster.  I also got your actions strie'bog
       Unfournately I got them too late for this update!  Sorry!
       I'll try and get you to use your axe or bow next phase
       and let you get some Experience :)  Sorry!  But there will
       be plenty of other action.

       I'll work on another update to go out then THIS Wednesday
       as supplement to this one.  Then Friday.  We'll move fast...