[pnpgm] Game update #119 - File #454 - Phase 3/4 Ritual Combat

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Wed Oct 4 06:46:14 CEST 2006

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.
     http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem

     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #119   in sequence (file #454)

     Admin notes: None.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will move and attack the lady (to kill since casting
          Slime is potentially a lethal attack) from the opposite side
          from Farseeker. Buckler defensive, dagger offensive. Spell
          effects as per spell.

          Glancing at the Slime she thinks it looks like an EL2-3
          Slime. Unali being a strong woman can likely get out of
          it...though she likely will need new boots. As soon as
          the lady goes down Z'leyra will ready her waterskin to
          wash the slime off Unali...unless Unali is caught, in
          which case she will get ready to cast a Dispell/Banish
          Chaos thru her staff at the Slime.
        GM:  Ack.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar rushes to the girl on the altar.  He will make
          sure she is ok and will protect her from any harm for the
          remainder of this fight.  If it looks like she is alright
          and there is no threat to her from anyone else but the
          priestess, he will go after the priestess and help take
          her out, being careful to always keep himself in between
          the priestess and the altar.
        GM:  Ack.  Since you wanted your pike thrown last update
          but was in danger.  She being alone now I'll do it
          this update.  Hope that's acceptable.

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          When Chion hears the yell to stop he starts allocating
          mana for his staff's main power (Astral Web EL bookoo).
          This should take care of most things on the way to the
          priestess (He should get about half or 3/4 of the room).
        GM: Ack.  I got this email though tonight.  After last
          night's update.  The yell occurred phase 1.  Since
          I didn't get this action till now it'll be done now.
          Sorry.  Since you didn't say to use the spell on the
          altar girl I'll assume you don't :).  On second thought
          looking at the high cost and casting speed.  I'll be
          generous and compromise.  I'll say you start phase 2
          not 1 and 3.  It'll take 3 phases so won't be castable
          till phase 4.  Means you'll have to stand still.

        Octaqi 30, in the 163rd Year [TH]
        [Meanwhile in Caladan's Village]
        [Day 60 of Trip]
        [Time: 5:43am]

        GM: Reality change.  Because Chion would be allocating
          spell via staff he would not be able to move last phase.
          So he is moving back to last position.  Back to J12.

        [Turn 1: Phase 3]

          [Mana Allocation -]

            [Thig is overwhelmed.  He knows the magics in the
             room are numerous at least 3 wards he can sense.
             Theres no time to tell the party as he considers
             dispelling them but he's not powerful enough.  The
             spells themselves are too powerful.  He considers
             a mind spell against the priestess but suspects
             her magic defense to be high.  He also considers
             using his amulet but comes to the same conclusion.
             Feeling useless he fails to allocate mana and
             concentrate on finding the exact source of the wards.]

            [Trembyl considers allocating mana for a spell.  There
             is something familiar about this scene.  Something
             itching at the dark corners of his mind.  Unfournately
             no spells come to mind to cast.]

            [Chion pulls his staff up off the ground not only to
             concentrate better but to avoid slime.  He allocates
             more mana he started last phase to through the staff
             and his body.  The 4.5 foot brown staff seems to shake
             slightly as the power builds through it.]

            [Strie'bog allocates mana for a bow spell.  He begins
             to speak the words.]

          [Missile Fire    -]

            [While Thig considers his option he raises his repeating
             crossbow at the Lady.  He'll fire easily over Farseeker's
             head as he is above the party.  He fires and the dart
             misses her by 2 feet.]

            [Ben'dar shifts to the right looking at the Lady. Now
             only 15 feet away.  His chance to throw his Pike is
             here.  As he throws it though he realizes he wasn't
             really trained in throwing spears just fighting with
             them.  Oh well.  At 15 feet he has a 50/50 chance
             of hitting.  But amazingly the spear lands 3 feet
             by her onto the carpet missing her.]

            [Balrog puts his hand on a dagger as he sees the Lady
             move west.  But at 35 feet theres slim chance of
             hitting the lady.  He holds off.]

            [Kasha thinks the same thing and grabs a throwing
             dagger.  He throws it the 10 feet toward the lady
             but it lands to the left 3 feet behind her.]

            [Strie'bog casting his spell and concentrating strings
             his bow and fires the 30 feet toward the lady.  The
             spell moves perfectly for 10 feet then the connection
             with the arrow seems to be lost as it exits his range
             of the spell.  The arrow flies toward the female and
             misses impacting on the ground.  Since its carpet
             the arrow can be obtained again and not broke so
             not counting against inventory.]

            [Xian aims his Arbalest at the lady but the pillar,
             Trembyl and Farseeker are in the way.  There is
             about a 4 foot aisle between then but not worth
             the risk.  He holds off.]

          [Magic Effect    -]

            [Suddenly Strie'bog hears oozing noises under his feet.
             He looks down to see Slime covering his boots.  As
             with Unali it pools around him.  The slime begins to
             climb up his boots but it seems his magical defense
             is strong.  The slime stops as it can't get a hold
             of him as his magic defense is stronger.  It slides
             down and pools around his boots just like Unali.]

          [Melee & Movement-]

            [Z'leyra runs forward and comes behind the Lady again.
             With a almost impossible shot to fail she raises her
             magical dagger and attempts to stab the female's back.
             As the daggers nears the back for some odd unexplainable
             reason the dagger seems to miss her back by a hair.
             With almost a 75% (at least) of hitting he is shocked
             to see she missed.  There is something going on more
             than skill here.]

            [Farseeker charges to the Lady with Great sword.  Z'leyra
             sees this.  If anyone can hit he will.  He crosses the
             8 feet toward her and thrusts at her left side. and
             hits resistance.  Z'leyra sees the blade as well.  Farseeker
             pulls back but is startled when he sees no blood at all
             on the blade.  but he knows he hit!  He felt resistance.]

            [Trembyl moves besides Farseeker and thrusts his Scimitar
             at the female.  He impacts against her robes.  But
             his good eyes notice the robes didn't move.  In fact
             there is no blood when he knows he hit.  But he also
             noticed something else.  A slight white spark that
             was so subtle he might only detect it.  Then his
             mind flashes a memory.  A day almost 4 months earlier
             when the party was in the Climan Mountains fighting
             a priestess in an ambush.  She had the same style of
             spell.  In order to take her out he had to use earthquake
             to cause her to fall in a ravine.  But her spell came
             from an amulet this one doesn't seem that way.  He
             quickly yells out.]

            Trembyl: "Magical Shield!"

            [Ben'dar runs toward the altar.  Now above the naked teen
             he inspects her.  He then realizes he hasn't been with
             a female in some time and seeing her lying there...but
             the emotion flees his mind as anger returns.  He eyes
             her chest..I mean her stomach and sees she is breathing
             normal not shallow, deep or fast.  A good sign.  He
             checks her pulse and finds it strong.  He tries to nudge
             her but she doesn't wake her.  He reaches for her other
             shoulder and tries to shake her whole body as her body
             jiggles she still doesn't wake.]

            [Speaking quickly and loudly Unali states.]
            Unali : "There is a slime pool here. A ward or something
              she cast. Thig, can you make out if there are more wards
              here?"

            [Being stronger than the Slime Unali lifts her feet off
             the building slime pool.  She notices Strie'bog near
             her is also being attacked by slime.  But he isn't
             moving his feet.  Fearing he may not be strong enough
             to move he grabs him and with their combines strength
             pull each other out and away.]

            [Balrog seeing Farseeker likely able to handle the lady
             he moves south.  He crosses the next line of pillars
             and looks both ways and sees no one.]

            [Kasha comes up alongside the Female's right side
             and swings his mace.  He hits but when he pulls
             back the mace he sees no hole in her robes?  He
             knows he hit.]

            [Strie'bog tries to flick his boots and get rid of
             the slime as he nods to Unali in thanks.  He wasn't
             strong enough to flee it himself.]

            [The female seems to turn her head and eye Trembyl
             when he said shield in Marentian.  That would imply
             she knows Marentian.  With a sigh of anger she
             realizes he may know the magic.  She moves away
             breaking between Farseeker and Z'leyra.]

  [Enlarged Map]

         1         2         3
12345678901234567890123456789012345678
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ A  1 Column = 5 feet
\__/_______________________________ \_B  1 Row    = 5 feet
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \i_/ C  1 Hex    =10 feet
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/i \_D  / = Door
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ E  O = Column (4 feet around)
\__I  \\_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_F [] = Altar
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ G  L = Lady
\__I  \O_/  \__/  O.... SU_/  O__/I \_H
/  I__/  \__/  \__....._/  \__/  \I_/ I  i = Room wall
\__I  \__/ CT__/  \._.. \__/  \__/I \_J
/  X__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \B[]  \I_/ K  Z=Z'leyra   [P25]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_M  T=Thig      [J23]  [15' up]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \_M/  \__/  \I_/ N  F=Farseeker [O24]
\__I  \O_/  \__/  O__/ F\K_/  O__/I \_O  M=Trmebyl   [N24]
/  I__/  \__/  \__L  \__Z  \__/  \I_/ P  B=Ben'dar   [K29]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_Q  U=Unali     [H25]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ R  R=Balrog    [V18]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_S  C=Chion     [J12]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ T  K=Kasha     [O26]
\__I  \O_/  \__/  O__/  \__/  O__/I \_U  S=Strie'bog [H26]
/  I__/  \__/  \_R/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ V  X=Xian      [K4]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_W  L=Lady      [P19]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ X  .=Slime area
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_Y
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ Z
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_AA
/  I__/O \__/  \__O  \__/  \__O  \I_/ BB
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_CC
/  I__/  \__/  \__// \__/  \__/  \I_/ DD
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_EE
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ FF
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_GG
/  I______________________________I_/ HH
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_II

                                ------------------

        [Turn 1: Phase 4]

          [Mana Allocation -]

            [Thig hears the words magical shield.  He realizes the
             wards Unali mentions are powerful but if she has a
             shield that could be stronger.  He knows he can't
             stop the wards.  They are too strong.  But maybe he
             can destroy the female's mind.  That should get through
             her spell maybe?  He allocates mana.  If he plots her
             course she should be going to the door and within just
             enough range (5 feet) of the spell.  He hopes.]

            [Chion allocates his last bit of mana through the staff.]

          [Missile Fire    -]

            [Xian invisible in the doorway aims his Arbalest and
             fires the Female now that he has a clear shot.  The
             quarrel flies the 50 feet and hits!  But then bounces
             off her?]

          [Magic Effect    -]

            [The Slime magic launches again.  This time Z'leyra
             hears the noise under her foot.  Luckily she has
             magical boots on.  As the slime builds and pools
             around her boots the slime also seems to stop its
             ascent as her high magic defense and magical boots
             and protections seem to repel the slime.]

            [Chion pulls his staff up and looks at the female as
             he chants the final words to invoke the staff's
             spell.  With a negative -5 roll the spell holds
             her in place even her magical defense and the
             room's purified ground doesn't prevent the spell.
             Luckily the female moves closer just in range
             of the staff.  Astral tentacles and web wraps
             around the female in a magical stranglehold.]

          [Melee & Movement

            [Z'leyra again moves toward the female and again
             behind her.  This time the dagger hits the female's
             shoulder but the blade doenn't penetrate the female's
             magical shield.  It seems to stop a inch from her body.]

            [Farseeker rushes the female again and thrusts again.
             The blade hits but again it stops a inch from her
             body and doesn't go past her magical shield.  He
             growls in frustration.]

            [Trembyl moves toward the female and besides the Pillar.
             He thrusts but fails to hit the female.]

            [Ben'dar now knows the female seems to be thinks about
             moving her.  But best not in case she has other
             injuries the healer should look at first.  It would've
             been a nice time to lift her but he hears the trouble
             the others are and stands up...or...wait..he ...
             stand...no..confused he pushes away from the female with
             his legs...no...tries...what is going on! He remains
             in place over her both hands on the altar and his stomach
             touching the altar.  His legs are free and can move but
             its as if his hands and stomach are glued to the Altar!
             In anger he tries to force away but can't.  Breathing
             hard he sinks his head down and touches her chest then
             bobs up again and looks behind him to the party in
             a plea for help.  He growls in anger.]

            [Unali pulls a water skin and uncaps it and begins to
             pour water on her and Strie'bog's boots.  Most of
             her boots are slimeless but his since he was stuck
             has more and she begins to help him clean the boots
             but this take the phase.]
            GM: It'll probably take 1 more phase then phase 6
              you can probably do something.

            [Balrog still concerned there might be others waiting
             to ambush around the columns heads south.]

            [Chion smiles as his spell hopefully works.  At this
             point the magic is not seen but he walks toward the
             female.  With his sai in his left hand he tries to
             stab her but the sai fails to hit.]

            [Kasha doesn't know this magic stuff but he knows a
             hard mace to the head works wonders!  he moves
             toward the female and to the right of Z'leyra.
             He swings but fails to hit the female.]

            [Strie'bog drops his back and reaches for his waterskin
             as well and tries to dampen the slime away from his
             boots.]

            [The female now for the first time who seems concerned
             turns and moves...or rather..tries to.  Her legs and
             arms don't seem to move.  With a growl she curses
             the party.]

  [Enlarged Map]

         1         2         3
12345678901234567890123456789012345678
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ A  1 Column = 5 feet
\__/_______________________________ \_B  1 Row    = 5 feet
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \i_/ C  1 Hex    =10 feet
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/i \_D  / = Door
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ E  O = Column (4 feet around)
\__I  \\_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_F [] = Altar
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ G  L = Lady
\__I  \O_/  \__/  O.... SU_/  O__/I \_H
/  I__/  \__/  \__....._/  \__/  \I_/ I  i = Room wall
\__I  \__/  T__/  \._.. \__/  \__/I \_J
/  X__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \B[]  \I_/ K  Z=Z'leyra   [Q19]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_M  T=Thig      [J23]  [15' up]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ N  F=Farseeker [P20]
\__I  \O_/  \__/ COM_/  .._/  O__/I \_O  M=Trmebyl   [O20]
/  I__/  \__/  \__LF \__...\__/  \I_/ P  B=Ben'dar   [K29]
\__I  \__/  \__/  ZK_/  \../  \__/I \_Q  U=Unali     [H25]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ R  R=Balrog    [AA18]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_S  C=Chion     [O18]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ T  K=Kasha     [Q20]
\__I  \O_/  \__/  O__/  \__/  O__/I \_U  S=Strie'bog [H26]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ V  X=Xian      [K4]
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_W  L=Lady      [P19]
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ X  .=Slime area
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_Y
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ Z
\__I  \__/  \__/ R\__/  \__/  \__/I \_AA
/  I__/O \__/  \__O  \__/  \__O  \I_/ BB
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_CC
/  I__/  \__/  \__// \__/  \__/  \I_/ DD
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_EE
/  I__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \I_/ FF
\__I  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/I \_GG
/  I______________________________I_/ HH
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_II

         Actions? Comments?

         Next update Friday...

         Ben'dar: You seem to be stuck to the altar.  :)

         Strie'bog/Unali: Cleanup should be done by phase 5
           by phase 6 you can plan actions.

         Z'leyra: You have slime on your boots but as with the
           others it didn't climb up more than a half inch
           or inch in some places.  Since its magical boots
           you may not be so concerned?

         Unali: For phase 6 if you want to go with previous
           emailed actions I'll go with that.  If you want
           to change let me know.  I'll have to take into
           account the range (about 40 feet).  If you do want
           to change let me know.

         By now the magic casters have likely figured out there
         are wards in this room.  Being a religious center this
         only makes sense.  A purification ward likely purifies
         the ground and makes actions harder for not "their" kind
         of folks.  A slime ward may be active though it could
         still be a hidden person?  But all 3 slimes do seem to
         come up from the ground.  The altar though no one but
         Ben'dar realize this probably has one as well.  Then
         with the female's shield it seems difficult to penetrate.

         With this in mind Friday will be phase 5 and 6 :)