[pnpgm] Game Update #5 - File #16 - Night Camp Encounter in forest

Scott Adams longshot at darktech.org
Tue Dec 19 07:55:52 CET 2006

  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  W2 Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard  ..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W4 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Boyzdar [Wolf] (Strie'bog),

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at darktech.org

     Game Update #5 in sequence (file #16)

     Admin notes:  As I type this (well some of it) I'm up in the
     Blue Ridge mountains at my cabin (dang its dark outside! - no
     city lights - did I just hear bigfoot?) I should have everything
     to do the update with me on this laptop but maybe no spell
     checker :< If I get abducted by aliens this week Alex will take
     over as GM.  (He just don't know that yet!) :)

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          More wandering thoughts from the boy with the brain, Chion
          Blades:

          Man. That is pretty cold. Ah. My staff warms my hands. What a
          nice balance to the weather. Couldn't have come at a better
          time too, my fingers are almost frozen.

          Maybe I should see if there is some way to keep that from
          happening. Since its a natural cold, perhaps an un-natural
          solution would be justfied. A "warm hands" spell or something.
          Hmmm. My hands are warm now.

          Thanks Gnarish. Wonder how much colder its going to get before
          this is all over. Some parts of home were like this. But then
          some were flaming pits of hellfire too. I guess its not bad.
          I like snow. Something simple and majestic about it. I mean,
          water, frozen, makes ice. Yet when the clouds collide right
          it shaves off parts of the ice and we get snow. Simply wonderful.
          It also makes it a lot easier to track things down as well.
          Little prince Cho didn't stand a chance that day. He should
          have left when he had the chance. He was warned. He knew the
          snow would run red with his blood if he stayed. Red snow. Never
          really liked that. But there was a majesty about it still.

          Like... underneath it was still white. No matter how much blood
          was spilt on it it would always be pure.

          Like the worlds. Pure in their own way no matter who comes and
          goes. Still existing. Still conflicting and peacing and living.
          Red snow is balanced I guess. I wonder if it is snowing in other
          worlds beyond our own. Maybe I should practice that spell more.
          Maybe I should practice a lot of my spells more. Hmmm. Maybe
          when I'm satisfied with the transport spells I will.

          For now, on this trip, though, I should refrain. It still puts a
          few of my friends off to do strange things with them near. I mean
          I know they know I am a mage as well as the rest, but... Hmmm...
          I wonder if vampires can freeze. Is being frozen enough to keep
          them from catching fire in daylight? I'll have to ask the next one
          perhaps.
        GM: Ack.  These thoughts I can't comment on directly as they
          are in your brain.  So for answers you'll have to figure
          them out yourself :).  As to the warm spell we talked about
          that in email.  Red snow is better than yellow snow :)

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          "It would be best to conceal ourselves since we have not been
           seen.  Gidwani spoke of the Humaga, that they could be a
           danger."  Looking to Ben'dar, "are we near their territory?"

           Strie'bog will help with concealing the party to the best of
           his ability.

           As for other actions:
           After he has recovered mana, Strie'bog will begin casting Bless.

           Day 1 - Cast EL 3 Bless (to DCV)
           Day 2 - Rest
           Day 3 - Cast EL 3 Bless (to OCV)
           Day 4 - Rest

           He will start to learn plains survival from anyone who will
           help teach him (otherwise, pick it up by watching others).
        GM: Ack.  Concealing in what way though?  Leaves?  Spells?
          Illusions? The party will hide as best they can.  Oh you
          meant this on the Army day?  Ok.  Gotcha.  As to spells
          I'll assume day 1 is the first day leaving Gidwani at
          the river.  That would leave 17 days.  So 17-4 is 13
          days of no spells? Ok.  All right.  I've marked you down
          on the summary timeline file which indicates how many
          pointed earned in plains survival and the timeline.  That
          is on the website.  I'll do the 2 spells.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra will have offered to teach Forest Survival and Hills
          Survival to any in the party that wanted to learn during the
          days we were in that terrain. She would have wanted to study
          Mountain Survival from any that could teach it while we were
          in the mountains.

          As time permits each evening after supper she will try to patch
          her torn ringmail armor. Every third day or so she seems to go
          and practice spells. She ensorceled items for Unali and Chion,
          then later added enchantments to the belt she had given Farseeker.
        GM: Ack.  In forest and hills 1 day each. Xian and Trembyl know
          Mountain Survival at same EL.  That will be day 85.  Day 84
          the Hills day you have no skill points earned? :)   Spells?
          I don't see spells.  :)  As to ringmail your going to use
          Armorer skill then instead of the other skill points earned?
          Looking at the Armor Repair option rule it looks like it
          will take 4.x days (so 5) to repair.  But its magically
          enhanced armor so I may have to check into repairing magical
          armor to see if it takes longer.  I probably know the answer
          to this but when do you start the repair?  I could assume
          presently but I'm nice (its x-mas).  I will also have to
          check the char sheet to see if you got the materials.  Probably
          would need chain or metal or something.  I'll have to think
          on that.  Otherwise may have to wait for materials back  in
          the city.  I'm not sure the laptop has Burton's optional rules
          on armor repair materials but I'll check later.

         [Novehas 24th, 85th day since left Marentia, 20th day of
          Adventure #3 of the 1633rd year [TH].]

         [Today the party had descended from the tall mountains into
          the plain of forest that seems to cover miles in every
          direction.  At this point the party knows they are likely
          in enemy territory so being slow and cautious is the rule.
          The Keloms will not work at this point for the Humagi.
          At least the party realizes winter is approaching and
          Humagi are likely doing as most cultures this time of year -
          going to home and preparing for a long cold season.  This
          means typically less travelling which is likely why
          few encounters have resulted.  It has been 20 days since
          leaving Caladan's village.  By now surely Jordi, Balrog
          and Kasha have arrived in Cholchara and may already be
          heading home to Sivas if all went well.  These woods are
          light compared to where the party is going to - Strie'bog's
          Great Forest.  But unlike the plains the trees are plentiful
          and tall to hopefully shade any travel from on-lookers.
          The party is glad to rest the horses at the foot of the
          mountains.  Now for at least the next few days it should
          be flat travel.  All horses are checked for shoe problems and
          then the party re-mounts up.  This time of year the light
          is fading faster and faster.  Instead of 12 good solid hours
          of travel there might only be 11 hours.  Soon it might even
          be less than that.  Because of the night chill camp also
          has to be made sooner thus making camp preparations are faster.
          Instead of past 6pm they are made as early as 5 or 5:30 in
          some cases even 4 depending on the weather.

          But today it has been clear and sunny though still cold.
          Everyone has to warm up with their clothing that they have.
          Once into the forest area the party travels for little over
          4 hours until camp needs to be made.  The river Sich has
          continued to wind through the plains up into the hills and
          into the tall mountains.  At one point the river shrank
          and entered a small mountain to come out the other side.
          Gidwani explains during certain points the river shifts from
          place to place due to land movement and slides.  It seems
          this year only small boats could have gone down the river.
          The bulk of the water had gone it seemed under the mountain
          in some underground river system.  The party had left the
          big river a day prior.  But small streams dot off in
          many directions.  Near night fall the party finds such
          a stream (about 9 feet wide in some places) and used it
          almost as a guide north.  It is a good water source as well
          for the horses and people.

          Near nightfall the party makes camp about 35 feet from the
          stream among a clearing in the forest.  There are still
          many trees around as high as 50 feet.  But most are bushes
          and trees no higher than 8-10 feet, most bushes are 4-5
          feet tall but thick.

          Tents are setup and a campfire is organized.  Even with
          the risk of being seen a campfire is far better protection
          and for heat than worth the risk of being spotted.  Dinner
          is made or rations ate.  After dinner Thig and Xian
          entertain the party by playing their flutes in a quiet but
          chilling set of songs they both seem to know.  The music
          seems to float wider in the cold air through the forest.
          Strie'bog gives a haunting dance of a what his people heard
          a wood nymph would tend to do as the flutes are played.

          The campfire lights the night surrounding the camp with
          one or two lanterns helping in darker areas.  The stars
          tonight are especially vivid.  Thig tells of stories of
          the constellations his people watch.

          But in the immediate area a creature stirs.  Having
          exited the river and leaving his fellow creatures it
          is drawn to the music of the flutes.  Watching with
          coal black eyes it watches Strie'bog dance and drools
          on a bush below him.  The creature is enticed and drawn
          to the dancing for sometime.  Then the creature sees
          Z'leyra move among the camp and the creature perks his
          ears and wrinkles its nose.  The creature soon moves away
          and joins his fellow creatures to tell them of this
          wonderful site in the forest in THEIR land.  The creatures
          are startled and excited at the same time.  But one creature
          talks to the others into taking the party on.

          The creatures don't know the strength of the party but
          that tends to be the way things go.  The tall and lanky
          creatures gather up their weapons - spears and nets.  They
          hide their other gear including fish, berries and some furs.
          The first creature had watched the party from 50 feet off
          and never was seen.  But this time they will have to take
          on the party when they are sleep and weaker.  The creatures
          move near the party and fan out waiting till the late hours
          of the night.  The creatures aren't as smart as humans but
          they are smarter than wolves and think they are smart.

          The night draws on and everyone but sentries begin to enter
          tents or bedrolls to go to sleep.  At this point the party
          posts two sentries being in more hostile land for safety.
          Near 4am (3:46am) the creatures are tired of waiting and
          figure the humans are asleep.  One creature slinks around
          to let the others know the attack is about to begin.  It
          won't be timed but once it begins the others should know
          it has begun.  One creature wonders if the horses should
          be scared off but the leader decides THEY could use the
          horses in their own wicked ways.  The creatures surround
          the party 2 creatures per compass point.

          At 3am a new set of sentries go on duty - Strie'bog and
          Thig.  They replace Farseeker and Xian both who have now
          fallen asleep.  All 2 person sentries take 2 hour shifts
          during the night.]

         GM: Ben'dar you have a 2 man Tent.  Strie'bog has 2 man
           tent as well but the wolf can use the other space.
           But since you can take one more person do you want to?
           If so who would you want?

         [Strie'bog roams the outside of the camp with his Longbow
          on his back and Axe in one hand.  He keeps an eye out to
          the dark trees and bushes as he randomly moves around
          the camp.  Thig with his Warstaff sees better at night and
          will occasionally walk or fly around the camp.  He may sneak
          up and tease Corona tall in a tree as he is sleeping.  The
          creatures stare at Thig as he lands in the camp near a tall
          bush.]

         GM: The map below shows current locations.  Remember it will
           mess up in email so view it on the game website if you
           want to view it better. I don't detail every bush in
           the area just the immediate camp area.  For light
           information the campfire has a 3 hex radius of light
           around it for good viewing.  On the 4th hex out it
           is half light and half thereafter per hex.  Hope
           the map is not as cluttered.

         [The first creature and his buddy slinks toward Thig as
          Strie'bog is on the other side of the camp.  The creatures
          only see 4 sleeping outside tents so have good odds.
          the creatures get behind the bush [at J14].   As
          quietly as they can they inch closer.  The trickle of
          the stream and the night calls of the forest are heard.
          The loud pop and crackle of the campfire is also heard.

          Suddenly Z'leyra jolts awake as her brooch wakes her up.
          Looking around she still sees night.  Unsure if she
          just woke up normally or by the brooch she looks around.
          then the danger sense in her brain tingles.  She realizes
          it was the brooch.  She immediately grabs her staff and
          some of her other gear.

          Thig hears the rustling of Z'leyra and turns to look
          at her getting up.  As he turns the creatures throw
          their weighted nets onto Thig.  With the force of the
          throw and the lunge of their bodies the net encircles
          Thig and captures him.  he begins to struggle.]

         Turn 1: Phase 1

           [Mana Allocation - None - too soon]
           [Missile Fire    - None - too soon]
           [Magic Effect    - None - too soon]

           [Melee & Movement]

             [Two of the creatures rush from the south around a tall
              tree straight for the now sitting Z'leyra.  Both have
              daggers.  The two creatures charge and thrusts spears
              at Z'leyra.  One misses by a clear foot as she moves
              her body in time.  The other by a few inches.  If she
              had been sleeping it would've been worse.]

             [Two of the creatures charge past bushes from the east
              and run toward Strie'bog.  They round the tree and
              throw a net onto him.  The net falls over him and
              the weights pull it down into place.  He begins to
              struggle.]

             [At the same time two of creatures run from the darkness
              from the north toward the sleeping Chion.  One thrusts
              his spear but misses.  The other brings his spear right
              down onto the chest of Chion and stabs Chion for 6
              points of damage.  Chion immediately wakes up to stare
              at a long and tall humanoid creature.  He grabs for
              his chest and reaches to his side for his sai.]

           GM: This is the ambush phase.  I will do 2 more phases
             on Friday.  For those who see the creatures (Thig,
             Strie'bog, Z'leyra, Chion) you know what they are.
             They are Trold Folk.  They have been encountered before
             in the past by the party.

   [Map at end of Phase 1]

          1         2         3         4         5
 123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234
 /  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \../  \__/    A      N
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/..\__/  \_    B     /I\
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_..  \__/     C   W--*--E
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  .._/  \_    D     \I/
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \%%%% ***/  \__/  \__/..\__/     E      S
\__/  \__/  \__/  %%%/ %%%_HHH\__/**\__/  \_..  \_    F
/  \__/  \__/  \__/%%\__/  \HH/  \__/ %%%_/  .._/     G
\__/  \__/  \__/ **__/# \4_/  \__/  \__/  \__/..\_    H
/  \__/  \__/ %%%_/  \#_3@ \__#  \__/ **__/  \_..     I
\__/  \__/  \__%%%\__/  \__/  #__%%%%__/  \__/ .._    J
/  \__/  \__/  \_1T  \_@/++\@_/  \%%/  \__/ %%%..     K
\__/  \__/  \__** 2__/  \_W/  \__5  \__/  \%%%%.._    L
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_7Z  \__/ S6**/  \__/ %%%..  \_ M
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/# 8_#/ #\__/  \%%%% \__/  .._/  N
/  \__/  \__/  \_%%% \#_/ #\_#/  \%%%% \__/  \__/..\__O
\__/  \__/  \_%%%**__/  \__/  \__/  %%%%  \__/  \_..  P
/  \__/  \__/  \%%%  \__/  \__%%%%__/  \__/  \__/  .._Q
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ **__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__.. R
/  \__/  \__/  \__/ %%%_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  .._S
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234
         1         2         3         4         5

  Legend \ 1 Hex = 10 feet, Each column = 5 feet, Each row = 5 feet

           ++ = Campfire
           ## = Tents (Entrances in N or S depending on position pointed to
                the campfire itself)
           ** = Tall trees.(8-30 feet tall)
           %% = Bushes (3-6 feet tall)
           .. = Stream (9 feet wide) (Flowing south)
            @ = Bedroll/blanket
           HH = Horses

  People - B - Ben'dar   [H22] - [Inside Tent/Sleeping]
           C - Chion     [I25] - [Bedroll/Awake]
           F - Farseeker [I30] - [Inside Tent/Sleeping]
           T - Thig      [K18] - [Awake]
           S - Strie'bog [M32] - [Awake]
           R - Trembyl   [K23] - [Bedroll/Sleeping]
           U - Unali     [N22] - [Inside Tent/Sleeping]
           X - Xian      [K28] - [Bedroll/Sleeping]
           Z - Z'leyra   [M25] - [Bedroll/Awake]
           W - Boyzdar   [L26] - [Sleeping/Near fire]
           C - Corona    [Off map in trees]

  Trold Folk -
           1 - K17, 2 - L18, 3 - I24, 4 - H25
           5 - L35, 6 - M35, 7 - M24, 8 - N25

        Actions? Comments?

        Next update Friday but I won't expect moves if your out of
        town for Christmas.  I hope everyone has a good holiday.
        If you can't post you can't.  So not required.  I will
        do things randomly if not.

        Chion - I'm assuming you sleep with no Chainmail as
        it would be hard to sleep in and colder.

        Time: near 4am.