[pnpgm] Ben'Dar comments and Actions

Chris & Karen Wells ckwells at gmail.com
Tue Sep 6 03:16:36 CEST 2005

Regarding conversation with Strie'bog :
 Ben'Dar ponders the words of Strie'bog regarding his past and his home. He
replies, "My heart is heavy to learn of your father's death and your
mother's sickness. What cure can possibly heal a wounded heart of its grief?
How can your mother defend your people from their enemies? Is she a mighty
warrior or a leader of your people?"
 Regarding the religious conversation... "The People worship the spirits of
nature. Animal spirits, the wind, the sun. I myself have great respect for
the Spirits that shape the natural world around us. Though...I do not know
much about them. I thought I met a nature Spirit once..." he begins, looking
down at his horse, but then thinks better of it and says no more about it.
 In answer to Strie'bog's question of why Ben'Dar has travelled so far from
his home, Ben'Dar stiffens and his eyes narrow - but only for an instant.
Then he casts his gaze at the ground in front of his horse and his shoulders
slump somewhat. In a low voice, he confides, "I was taken from my home
against my will. The vile people of Clima captured me and killed many
Zen'Dans at the same time. Members of this group rescued me and I have
traveled with them since that time. Though some in our party would see it as
harsh and barbaric...it is the way of my people to exact revenge upon those
who have wronged us. Because of that, I will not feel worthy to return to my
people until I have regained my honor and restored the honor of my people by
killing and/or capturing many more Climans and restoring wealth and prestige
to my people upon my return. I suppose you do not understand - but it is
something I must do."
 Ben'Dar is confused, and his eyes smoulder with anger. He waves Xian away
as he tries to intervene. He says to Caladan's back, "I will not question
your honor as you have questioned mine, my friend. But I will disagree with
you."
 "The elder shaman sought to 'solve the problem' by placating a killer of
his people. By bribing the giant with food, he surrendered the pride and
honor of his people. This giant should have been, justly and rightly, hunted
down and killed for its offenses against the Zen'Da, not given gifts to
purchase its mercy."
 "I respect those who do not kill indiscriminately, because I am one of
them. But an enemy that attacks us has sacrificed its right to live. Whether
it dies directly in combat with us or is rendered unconscious and later
killed by us; it matters little to me how it dies, as long as it receives a
clean, honorable death at our hands. To not kill it would have been
dishonorable, as it would have suffered in agony and probably eventually
died from its injuries."
 "This beast attacked us with the intent to kill us all. We all attacked it
in return with the intent to kill it. Were you trying to merely subdue it
with your fire magic, my friend? Is that why this beast is burned nearly
unrecognizable? No. You were trying to kill it outright just as we all were
- more than the rest of us, judging by the massive burn damage done to it. I
do not consider killing a vicious giant, which attacked me with the intent
to kill me, a rash action. I consider it the optimal outcome of the combat
and a just and fitting end for an evil creature who has committed such
atrocities upon your people."
 Actions: Having had words with Caladan, Ben'Dar considers the issue to be
done and forgotten. Later, Ben'Dar will clean himself up in preparation of
entering Caladan's village, and make sure he's wearing all his beast
body-part paraphanelia (hippogriff feathers, tooth/claw necklace, dragon
armor, etc)
 Regarding the giant gauntlets, Ben'Dar helps to strap them to one of the
draft horses if no one claims them. He has no interest in them, but figures
they can be sold and the proceeds split as party loot at some point in the
future.