[pnpgm] Game update #45 - File #179 - The Tests continue...and slows..

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Oct 11 04:24:31 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #45 in sequence (file #179]

     Admin notes: None.

        From jordi: [Re: Trade test]
          Of course, mentally curse Cetric.  Jordi doesn't know the
          nature of the tests of the others, but he thinks Cetric is
          a dishonorable man.  And one can only expect the worst from
          a dishonorable man, not an honest challenge.

          However, Jordi tries to keep a calm appearance, and begins to
          talk in a quiet, calm way to not frighten anybody.

          "There is wisdom in your words, Enoz.  And you have demostrated
           your intelligence asking the most important question "why",
           and courtesy in the way you have done it.  I know my opinion
           is not worth a lot in this lands, but I think you honour
           your lineage, because you're wise and honorable.  And that
           are rare, in true, rare gifts in all lands; I have travelled
           a little bit, and I can vouch for it."

           Jordi stops for some seconds, to put his thougths in order.

           "I will explain you the reasons of my behaviour later; I know
            it's a little bit rude, or very rude, if you prefer, but I
            give you my honour word that I don't want to harm you or
            your people in any way.  I arrived before sunset to Caladan's
            village with Caladan, and Caladan introduced me to his tribe
            as a friend; so, you have nothing to fear from me."

            Jordi waits for a little bit until the people in the tipi
            relaxes a little bit (if he detects fear or anguish, he will
            keep talking in a quiet, relaxing way.)

            Once they are calmed, Jordi will continue:

            "So, please, can you please explain me what is your most
             precious gift, and why?"
        GM: Ack.

                        ----------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Race actions]
          Ben'Dar kicks Tef'wo hard in pursuit after Rider #1.  His
          smile is gone now; he is all grim business.  He will charge
          Tef'wo into Rider #1's horse and as Tef'wo shoulder-checks
          the horse, Ben'Dar will use his horsemanship skill to launch
          himself off his horse and tackle the rider on horse #1,
          trying to take him off the horse and onto the ground.
          (hopefully Ben'Dar won't kill himself in the process...)

          Once on the ground, Ben'Dar will proceed to pay the man back
          for his earlier attacks with the scimitar - attacking with
          his dagger if the man still holds his sword.  But If the man
          loses his scimitar in the fall, he'll just attack with his
          fists.

          If he can disable the man or somehow get the necklace away
          from him during the fight, he'll tuck the necklace safely
          into his leather jerkin, and he whistles to Tef'wo.  He'll
          swing up onto Tef'wo's back when the horse reaches him and
          thunder back toward the village, fending off the other riders
          as best he can, using strength and horsemanship skill.

          (Well, that's a plan anyway...we'll see how it goes.) Oh, If
          some other rider gets the necklace away from Rider #1 first,
          Ben'Dar will follow the same plan to try to get the necklace,
          only he won't attack them, since they haven't attacked him.
          He'll just try to wrestle the necklace away from them.
        GM: Ack.  Boy exciting :)  This is one of those things I
           mentioned where I don't kill players.  Unless they do
           stuff like this :)  We shall see.

                        ----------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          Chion, smiling at Cetric, will state "I am not harmed by
          this man. Not the first time when he tried to kill me in my
          sleep, and certainly not when I face him in open combat. I am
          learn-ed from this man. I wish to speak to him when he
          awakes." Naturally, at this point he's looking for a place he
          can cast a regen spell and/or perhaps a healing light (for
          the damage). He'll be muttering about "those shield lessons
          didn't do much good, now did they..." as he walks to
          someplace more private.
        GM:

        From Unali: [Re: Kiss to Balrog]
          Unali will walk towards Balrog and whisper "You're terrible.
          Now go show this bastard what you can do."and give Balrog a
          quick peck on the forehead.
        GM:  Ack.  Will explain below.

                        ---------------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          OOC:  I've been sick, so I have not had a chance to post.
          So, I am going to go back to the story for a moment, and
          then give his actions once the smoke starts.

          The Story he tells at the start of the test: He will speak
          slowly to be better understood (though he will tell the
          story with appropriate drama).

          [Story deleted for space.  Its a great story though and
           everyone should read it.  Its on the list and website.]

          <Strie'bog sings a song of life in Tounge of the Woods>

          [Text deleted for space]
          <Story Ends>

          After the smoke starts, and the wolf and dogs begin to growl,
          Strie'bog will start the Sonata Spell (effective EL 1) to
          calm the animals.  He will keep casting it until the test ends.

          If he survives & completes the test, he will quickly get the
          animals out of the pit while trying to keep them calm.

          Afterwards, he will walk up to the Shaman: "In cowardice, you
          have betrayed your ancestors and people.  Be prepared for your
          test." He will then walk away.
        GM: Excellent story.  Will award skill rolls (D10) to 2 of the
          story skills (tongue and story).  Ack.

     Octaqi 15, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 306 Miles
         North of Asichi City, Heading East from River

       [The tests continue...]

       [Ben'dar - Riding Test]

          GM: Info -
            Rider #1 - Age 18, Scimitar/Sheath
            Rider #2 - Age 19, Weaponless/Talkative/Friendly with Ben'dar
            Rider #3 - Age 20, Knife in Boot
         GM: For the record all this is dice work.  I didn't play for
           #1 to get the necklace first.  He just got there first.

         [241-250 seconds]
            Rider #1 gives a triumph cry as he rounds the corner
            around the man standing now without necklace.  He
            smiles and stands in the saddle in glee.  He then
            pumps the horse forward.  In the process rider 1's
            horse is slowed down by the action.  The other 3
            catch up.  Rider 2 takes second place behind 1 and
            tries to catch up.  Next Ben'dar and rider 3.
         [251-260 seconds]
            Tef'wo takes a burst of speed and passes rider 2 and 3
            heading for Rider 1.  Rider 2 and 3 take 3rd/4th place.
            Rider 1 continues to slow as he tried to place the
            necklace in hand and guide the horse in another.
         [261-270 seconds]
            Then rider bolts forward taking a 10 foot lead   Rider
            3, #2 and ben'dar finally in last as 3 and 2 try to
            block Ben'dar's forward approach.
         [271-280 seconds]
            Ben'dar sees his chance.  Ben'dar takes lead when 1
            and 3 equal up.  Three tries to grab the necklace and
            2 drags in 4th place.
         [281-290 seconds]
            Rider 1 slips forward with Ben'dar only inches behind.
            Rider 2 and 3 lag into the rear.  Ben'dar sees his
            chance and sides equal with Rider 1.  He slams ben'dar
            forward left shoulder up against the right side of Rider
            1's horse.  Both horses cough as breath is knocked out
            and going at full speed.  A 4 is rolled.  Awesome
            roll for horsemanship.  The maneuver works.  Now for
            a tackle.  Ben'dar takes a side tackle using one foot
            to propel himself off the horse as best he can.  Both
            men go flying to the left 4 feet off the air and time
            seems to slow down.  Ben'dar's arm has hold of the
            Rider's shoulder and right arm.  As both bodies fall
            to the ground they separate.  Each rolling in different
            directions.  Ben'dar lands hard on his shoulder and arm.
            A crack is heard as he impacts on a hard rock and takes
            physical pain (4 points of damage from what will be
            a intense muscle blood bruise).  Ben'dar rolls to view
            the man and takes in an instant's look.  He sees the
            man is still wearing the necklace on his neck.  Has
            no scimitar.  it was left on his horse.  Good.  Ben'dar
            staggers to his feet.  Unaware of the other 2 riders.
            Ben'dar lunges forward the 8 feet toward the man.  the
            rider is on his knees and Ben'dar swings his fist but
            the blow of the fall was more stressful and the swing
            misses.  Free attack gone.  The man stands.  Ben'dar
            swings again.and hits the man on the face.  Ben'dar
            then realizes he has no official hand-to-hand training.
            But the impact squarely hits the jaw (though a bit
            sloppy) and the man goes flying backwards on to the
            ground.  His eyes roll up and he falls unconscious.
            Ben'dar rips the necklace off the man's neck and whistles
            for Tef'wo.  By now ben'dar sees the other 2 riders.
            Rider 3 has blocked 2 and is using his knife to threaten
            the rider.  Ben'dar quickly mounts.  He circles around
            and charges toward Rider 3.  He pulls out his whip and
            cracks it.  Wow even unskilled the whip hits the man's
            backside.  This jerks him up.  Rider 2 then slams the
            nnife out onto the ground.  Then Ben'dar twirls around
            and heads for the village.
         GM: A little bit more than you called for but figuring your
           character personality I figured you'd have tried it.
           The entire above took 8 seconds.  We'll resume the
           normal time increments for ease of timing. :)
         [291-300 seconds]
           Ben'dar smiles as he puts his whip back onto his belt
           as best he can in the distraction of the race.  It
           almost slips and falls off but he grabs it.  He
           looks back and sees Rider 1 still down.  In the
           time it took to put the whip back in though all 3
           equal up and its a true race side by side.
         [301-310 seconds]
           Ben'dar surges forward with 2 and 3 following in
           that order.  Rider 2 shakes his head.  Maybe the
           blow wasn't that hard?
         [311-320 seconds]
           Suddenly Rider 2 surges forward.  He looks at
           ben'dar and the necklace.  With hesitation he
           grabs for it but Ben'dar moves Tef'wo away.  Rider
           3 takes up 3rd place.  Rider 1 stands and checks
           himself over.  He calls for his horse.
         [321-330 seconds]
           Rider 2 and 3 equal up blocking Ben'dar who takes
           last.  But Rider 1 mounts his horse.  But hes over
           a hundred feet behind by now.  He's out of the
           race more likely.
         [331-340 seconds]
           Rider 2 and 3 equal up side by side hitting each other
           as they try to track closer to Ben'dar.  But Ben'dar
           takes the chance and rounds 3.  He takes the lead.
         [351-360 seconds]
           Dang.  Again rider 2 and 3 equal up blocking Ben'dar
           in between causing Tef'wo to slow to 4th.  The tactic
           is working for them.  Rider 1 rides forward...
         GM: Any final actions?  Last leg will be in the next update.
           Got about 2 minutes of race left.

                --------------------------------------

       [Jordi - Trading test]

         [Jordi gives the dialogue above.  Enoz listens and then
          looks around the tipi.  Rohm leans over and whispers
          to Enoz in hushed tones.  With the crackle of the fire
          pit its hard to hear but some words in Zen'da are heard
          like "Caladan" "stranger" "trust" "time".  Jordi
          senses a sense of relief from Enoz as she talks.  Enoz
          looks to Jolcz and to Jordi.  Then nods.]
         Enoz: "Besides family and life?  Right now my most precious
           gift is --" [He points to jolcz, he nods to her] "this."
         [Jolcz leans back and grabs a heavy sack.  From it she pulls
          out something.  In the light it gleams.  Its a small wooden
          statue the size of a fist.  It is that of a eagle.  the eyes
          sparkle with ...ruby gems?  Or maybe fake glass.  hard to tell.
          The eagle is perched on some "rock" or tree.  Its wings are
          half out and half spread. The small statue is very artistic
          and delicate.  It stands a fist high and a fist wide.  In
          some cultures it might not be worth much but Jordi can tell
          it must've took months to carve based on the way the wings
          are so delicate showing the fine curves and edges of veins.
          To a collector it might be priceless.  To a common merchant
          maybe nothing.  Jolcz holds it in her palms and out to
          show Jordi.]
         Enoz: "I am not a normal Zen'da.  I'm a craftsman.  I carve
           things from wood and stone.  Why do you think I live away
           from the village?" [Rohm bows her head in what seems shame
           to Jordi] "We do wasteful things to them.  This right
           now is my most precious art work.  To you a world traveller
           it might be worthless.  To me its priceless.  Now.  Again
           i ask.  Why and who is this for?"
         GM: Actions? Comments?

                --------------------------------------

       [Strie'bog - Pit Test]

          [As Strie'bog gives his story and circles the pit to
           view the audience he notices many are captivated by
           it.  Many of the women just stand still listening to
           every word.  Some even let a few tears fall silently.
           A few kids are stunned, scared and excited by the story.
           Mothers whisper to them to comfort them.  The men
           even stop jeering and talking to listen.  Before even
           a 3rd of the story is done all is silent but Strie'bog
           and the crackle of the fire.  Even Cetric's smirk has
           fallen into a slight frown.  Even at one point he looks
           down to the ground before quickly looking back up.
           Its clear Strie'bog has some effect on the audience.

           Even the party is captivated by the story.  As the
           final minutes draw and the smoke takes effect on the
           canines Strie'bog backs up to the fire.  He picks up
           a instrument and begins to play music.  He doesn't
           sing but murmurs a few spell words and casts a spell.
           Suddenly the air around him is filled with more magical
           music.  But those outside the pit only hear his instrument.
           The dogs stop growling and pant as they look at Strie'bog.
           Cetric glances at his hourglass.  As the spell nears an
           end the dogs begin to growl again and approach.  Strie'bog
           moves back to the heat of the fire which the canines don't
           like.  This gives him time to cast the spell again successfully.
           The dogs stop again.  Cetric and others are surprised by this.
           Then the hourglass stops and empties.  Cetric motions for
           the others.

           A warrior tosses a bag high up and into the fire.  Now
           a cloud of gray/white smoke engulfs the pit.  As quickly
           as it begin the smoke calms the animals.  Hesitant
           Strie'bog watches the canines who just pant but don't
           seem to be affected.  He sighs and stops playing.]

           [Strie'bog climbs out followed by the canines.]
           Caladan: "Good work."
           Strie'bog:  "In cowardice, you have betrayed your
             ancestors and people.  Be prepared for your test."
             He will then walk away.
           [Cetric eyes Strie'bog.  With only Caladan and Strie'bog
            within earshot.  He looks down at the ground and then
            back up at Strie'bog.  He begins to say something.
            But stops.  As Strie'bog leaves the area words finally
            come to him.]
           Cetric: "..sorry..." [in a low whisper.]
           [This startles Caladan who looks at Cetric but Cetric
            quickly turns and rushes away.]
          GM: You obviously affected Cetric and the crowd to a good
            point based on skill rolls and the story.  Good role
            playing.  Experience awarded.  Test complete.  I was
            thinking of other solutions but you came up with one
            even i wasn't thinking of :)

                --------------------------------------

       [Chion - Duel Challenge]
         From Chion:
           Chion, smiling at Cetric, will state "I am not harmed by
           this man. Not the first time when he tried to kill me in
           my sleep, and certainly not when I face him in open combat.
           I am learn-ed from this man. I wish to speak to him when he
           awakes." Naturally, at this point he's looking for a place
           he can cast a regen spell and/or perhaps a healing light
           (for the damage). He'll be muttering about "those shield
           lessons didn't do much good, now did they..." as he walks
           to someplace more private.
         GM: Ack.  Which do you cast? Regeneration and/or Healing and
           at what ELs if any (have to look at the sheet).  Z'leyra
           can treat you as well if needed.
         Cetric: "I will tell him."

                --------------------------------------

       [Balrog - Horse Drag Test]

         GM: Caladan translated for Balrog who doesn't know Zen'dali.

         Balrog: "So let me get this straight.  You tie my hands up.
           On a rope trailing behind a horse out that a-way.  About
           half a mile?  Seems simple enough."
         Caladan: "Its not.  You may not be walking but be drag
           all the way.  Can you handle that?  Theres nothing
           wrong in saying no.  This test is actually a form of
           common punishment."
         Cetric: "To some.  to others its a test of strength and
           determination!  The Great Lodge Chief Kyran asked to
           do this to prove himself and at a middle-age!"
         Caladan: "Yes.  He came back with multiple cuts.  Bruises.
           ..and three broken fingers."
         Balrog: "Oh.  So let me understand this.  I must be attached
           to the rope?  Any other restrictions?"
         Cetric: "Hrm...no."
         Balrog: "Fine.  I accept."
         [Cetric smiles and a warrior inspects Balrog for weapons.
          He finds none.  But the warrior reveals in a sleeve a
          leather wrist/arm band on his right arm near his wrist.]
        Warrior: "What's this?"
        Balrog: "Family heirloom."
        [Warrior looks at Cetric and Cetric shrugs.  The warrior
         finishes and finds nothing of any gear on Balrog.  Other
         than the leather band.  Finally Balrog asks Unali for
         a good luck kiss.  She approaches and agrees to it.  But
         as she pulls away from a peck on the cheek, Balrog shocks
         here.  He grabs her with both arms and bends her and kisses
         her full on the lips.  Unali struggles but finds one of
         Balrog's arm on her back as the audience laughs.  Balrog
         turns Unali back to the crowd a bit flushed.  He leans
         over and smiles.]
        Balrog: "Thanks.  It'll help."
        [Balrog turns after he shuffles his arms and faces the
         warrior.  The warrior then ties both hands up and ties
         it to a saddle on a horse.  Balrog is then lead to the
         edge of the village.  Out on the plains another person
         is standing maybe a bit over half a mile away.]
       Cetric: "That's your point.  Get there and back."
       [The warrior slaps the horse on the behind and the horse
        trots off with Balrog following behind in a fast jog.
        The horse after half the journey begins to slow down to
        allow Balrog to even walk it.  This isn't bad Balrog
        thinks.  Maybe it'll be easy.  Meanwhile all the time he
        is testing the strength of the rope around his hands and
        studying the knot.  As the horse gets close to the other
        person the person grabs the horse and turns it around.  It
        looks like the horse has been trained to go from point A
        to Point B.  Half the test over Balrog relaxes.  The person
        smacks the horse again and it trots off again.  This time
        back toward the village.  As the horse gets about 20 feet
        away from the other person, Balrog hears running footsteps.
        He turns to see the other person, a young warrior, running
        behind and passing Balrog.  Then the warrior in one smooth
        action leaps onto the back of the horse and with a kick of
        his feet gets the horse to a full run.  Balrog sighs.  He
        should've known better.  As Balrog runs for his life the
        horse gets faster and faster.  Then 8 seconds later Balrog
        falls over a rock or something and goes flat onto the ground
        sliding behind the horse.

        A big trail of dust and sand follows Balrog as he closes his
        eyes and tries to hang on for sheer life.  The pain in his
        wrists and arms are intense.  But Balrog was prepared.
        with his other hand he reaches into the now-non-empty leather
        wrist band.  Now with one of Unali's daggers he "borrowed" from
        her when he kissed her.  Unali soon realizes that one of her
        daggers is gone but only with a slight check of her clothing
        and nothing to give it away.

        with the dagger now in one hand he begins to slice the rope
        to free one hand.  As he begins to take sand and dust into
        his nostrils he drops the dagger and it goes flying behind
        him but covered by the dust cloud.  With the one hand free
        he begins to pull himself toward the horse.  This causes
        tension and the rope to tighten on the saddle.  As Balrog
        inches closer and closer to the horse the warrior notices
        this and begins to zip and zag to throw Balrog off.  Soon
        now 2 feet...then 20 inches...then he is just behind the
        fast moving legs of the horse.  He could be stomped but
        he risks it.  He tries to reach with one hand the rope
        that is between the saddle and legs.  He grabs it and
        pulls hard.  By now the shifting weight of Balrog causes
        the horse to slow down just a bit.  Balrog tries to raise
        a arm upwards...then all of a sudden he rams right into
        a leg of the horse as momentum pushes his body forward.
        He's stopped?]

       [In the clenched eyes Balrog shakes his head and coughs out
        the dirt ands dust.  He hears footsteps running toward.  He
        finally opens his eyes and finds the horse has stopped and
        he has reached the village.  A lot sooner than he thought.
        Caladan and Xian reach him and bend over to inspect him.]
       Caladan: "What in the blazes were you trying to do?"
       [Xian gives him water with a canteen to drink.  Balrog is helped
        to sit up and drinks in gulps.]
       Balrog: "..I s...saw...growing up...someone tr..try it.  ..
         He ..got amazingly...up ..on the horse. ...It was..foolish."
         [Cough] "I guess i failed in th...that trick. "
       GM: Very bad skill/attribute rolls.  A dangerous stunt.
         Ride was over before i could do more.  Based on the math.
       Balrog [leaning to Caladan and whispering] "Gather the rope
         up please.  No one see it." [Caladan nods and does this while
         others look at Balrog.  Xian inspects him and finds bruises,
         blood bruises, cuts but nothing is broken.  Balrog's tunic
         though is almost to shreds.]
       Cetric: "I've never seen one try to touch the horse.
         An interesting tactic.  A wild one.  Your spirit guide must
         be a wolf?  Never mind.  The test is complete."
       [He nodes and walks away.  As the audience follows Balrog is
        helped to his feet.]
       Xian: "Stupid stunt.  Stupid test.  Could've killed yourself.
         No reason for it."
       Balrog: "Did I pass?" [A bit shakilly as he gets to his feet
         5 minutes later.]
       Caladan: "Yep.  I think few more minutes you could've done
         that stunt.  I've heard of some trying it before in our
         past.  It takes great upper body strength."
       Balrog: "Oh.  now you tell me...I don't have much."
       [Both men smile and walk off as Caladan holds the cut rope
        to hide that.  Balrog leans over to Unali.]
       Balrog: "Sorry about that.  i was hoping to cut the rope to
         get a better hold.  I had to get your dagger as they
         inspected me.  No offense intended.  I knew you had one
         and my ...training kicked in.  But hey I enjoyed it!"
       [He winks at the thought of the kiss and his thief training.]

               --------------------------------------

       [Thig - Tracking Test]

          GM: Coming next update.

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Monday...

       Player           Test
     Xian             Test Completed, Successfully
     Trembyl          Test Completed, Successfully
     Farseeker        Test Completed, Successfully
     Unali            Test Completed, Successfully
     Kasha            Test Completed, Successfully
     Chion            Test Completed, Successfully
     Z'leyra          Test Completed, Successfully [with deliberation]
     Strie'bog        Test Completed, Successfully
     Balrog           Test Completed, Successfully
     Ben'dar          Nearing completion
     Jordi            Has started, waiting on actions
     Thig             About to start, long test
     Caladan          Not given one yet

     Tests -
       Completed   - 9
       In progress - 2
       Waiting     - 2

     Actions or comments?

     Ok.  Schedule of Events -

     Friday will finish Ben'dar's race.  Jordi we'll continue your
     test.  Then I'll work on Thig's and possibly Caladan's to
     end the tests.  Then might get in some clean up notes and
     background.

Oh. End of the week will remove some of the pictures of Giant and Tipis ont he
game website.  Won't really need them anymore.  Last chance to see them.
Bottom of the Game website.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933