[pnpgm] Game update #51 - File #212 - Caladan's party heads out..

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Nov 8 04:54:36 CET 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #51 in sequence (file #212]

     Admin notes: None.

        From Jordi: [Re: Actions[
          Jordi thinks for a little bit before answering to Enoz.
          "Thank you very much for offering me your hospitality for
           a second time.  I accept it.  I will return to the tribe,
           to tell the others, and then I will return.  I still don't
           know what I will do tomorrow.  I need to think about it."

           Jordi will return to the tribe, to explain the other members
           of the party of the outcome of his last trip.

           "Neither Enoz or Jolcz status seems to have been affected by
            Cetric's trick; I will sleep this night with them, and
            tomorrow, I will leave to meet Caladan's master.  As Enoz
            returned me the horses, we have 6 horses.  I suggest we can
            take 2 or 3 horses on our trip to the south, to barter them
            for things we may need, or as a present for Caladan's Master.
            I don't know a lot about wealth or about how your master
            lives, Caladan; but 1 or 2 horses will be useful for him,
            because he will be able to barter them for food, services or
            other things from nearby tribes."

            (OOC: I know, I know, my catalan blood -we catalan have
             reputation for being very business oriented- is taking
             control of the character.  But, even if the tribes of the
             surroundings consider an honour to take care of Caladan's
             master, and provide him with everything he needs,  giving
             him 1 or 2 horses as a present will improve his status;
             imagine what impression the people of the area will receive
             if the "student" appeared without presents for his master.).

            Jordi won't take food from the tribe, and will try to barter
            for it from other persons the party meet in the trip.

            Jordi doesn't know if Enoz and his family are technically
            members of Caladan's tribe, but for him, they aren't tainted
            by Cetric's actions, so he doesn't have any problem
            accepting their hospitality.
        GM: Ack.

                        ----------------------------

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions[
          ((OOC:  Z'leyra is skilled in horse healing?  If no, Ben'dar
           has some skill to do it due to his skill in horsemanship
           and horse husbandry. Ben'Dar will watch Z'leyra's healing
           technique on the horse to help and/or learn.)

          Ben'Dar takes a big bite of a hunk of meat, cooked over the
          fire until it is practically falling from the bone.  His
          chin smeared with grease, he takes a big swallow of ale from
          the large mug in his other hand. Belching hugely, he looks
          up at Caladan, "Do you need me to come along, Sundancer?
          If no, I'd prefer to stay here among the People."

          Later, Ben'Dar comments to those who remain behind, "Let's go
          examine some of the graves that have been disturbed.  I'd
          like to see firsthand what we're dealing with."
        GM: Yep. She can do some interesting things with horses. :) Ack.

                        ----------------------------

        From Chion: [Re: Actions]
          To Trembyl Chion will say the following: "Wealth is only
             safety in monetary form. And all to often this form of
             safety is destroyed by those that would seek great wealth
             themselves. Its almost like magic.
             Practiced correctly it can benefit more than one person,
             thus ensuring safety."
          To Caladan and Xian: "Wounderal sounds like my sort of fella.
             I am eager to meet him. The secret to my great abilities
             with the arcane is simple. Practice. The same as the Grand
             Wizard. Maybe one day we can travel to my homeland and you
             can meet my mentor.That seems like it would only be fair."
             He'll lick his finger and put it in the air (as if to
             check wind). "But not tonight. And tomorrow we have plans.
             So we'll have to postpone that trip until at least then."
          To those going, "We can leave at first light. I will prepare
             a circle if the tribe allows which will make the return
             trip safer as well." He will then attempt to make a
             sanctified balance circle big enough to hold those persons
             going on an un-used section of field outside the tribe's
             border. (If they attempt to dis-allow this he will mention
             that "I have passed your test and am therefora trusted
             friend, am I not?"
        GM: Ack. Some text moved below.

                        ----------------------------

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions[
          After the fight, Strie'bog waits for Cetric to awaken.

          When he gets up, and after asking the question, Strie'bog
          answers, "This is the start of our new meeting, a chance to
          build a new relationship.  Therefore, greetings Cetric.  I
          am Strie'bog."

          In the morning to Caladan, "I will remain here, as there is
          much to do.  If you need me I will strive to come to you."

          After they leave, Strie'bog will go to Cetric.  "I have a
          question of you.  Are there any trees on the plains,
          especially where the graves were disturbed?"  He holds up
          his hands, "I know it is an odd question, but it may help
          in the long run."

          To those of our group that remain, "I can ask the Court of
          Life for their Wisdom in what occurs here on the plains.  It
          can take time, and I will need someone to watch over my body
          while I hear their counsel.  Let us first look at the graves,
          but if we can find only scattered clues, it may help us to
          knit together the tapestry of events.  Also, if there are
          trees near the sites of desecration, I may be able to gleen
          answers from them."

     Octaqi 16, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 306 Miles
         North of Asichi City, Heading East from River

       Location: Village [Exterior]

       [After Jordi informs Caladan of his decision.]
       Caladan: "Never fear barter.  In fact like Chion he doesn't
         need food or water. When he can create it through magic.
         As to other materials he rarely gets away from his place.
         When he does he stocks up.  I doubt there is anything he
         needs from us.  We won't be going to any nearby towns or
         villages as well.  He is a hermit and lives with no one.
         The closest village might be a hundred or so miles away.
         You can take a horse if you wish.  But I enjoy the walk
         in this particular area we are going.  Enoz is a good
         man.  You wonder why he is way out from the village?
         This is actually not uncommon.  Many are away from the
         village. At any one time there may be 30-40 people in
         various tipis within one or two miles from here.  Sticking
         together is safer but clans have some original stomping
         grounds if you will and so they stay there."

       [After the fight Ben'dar gets down and parties with the warriors.
        For a long time it truly seems like he is happy again to be
        around people of his kind.]
       Caladan: "It is up to you to come or not.  I suspect though
         being here is more to your benefit than coming with me.
         Come or go.  I'll respect any decision you make."

       [Trembyl hear's Chion's words.]
       Trembyl: "Spoken well.  Course wealth gives you time to practice
         even more!" [he grins]

       [Caladan hear's Chion.]
       Caladan: "He is an interesting old wizard.  He is a mystery
         to me still to this day."

       [Xian hears and shakes his head at Chion.]
       Xian: "I use the spell for short jumps but 100 miles is amazing.
         Could save on horse expenses for sure!  Are you saying though
         your know the Elder Wizard himself?  I believe that's his
         title? In the Dark Lands?  Your master is among these people?"

       [After the fight with Strie'bog.]
       Cetric: "I must admit your ways are strange to me.  But I do
         respect your ways.  As to trees ....there are many places
         where trees abound.  No forests mind you.  But maybe a
         small grove here and there.  Only maybe a few trees.  Some
         grave sites are done near these places.  Theres actually
         many sites across the plains.  Our tribe has maybe thirty
         sites.  I will think on it and figure out which ones nearby
         that were hit have trees.  But now its late.  I'll try to
         get answers for you in the morning."
         [With that he walks toward his Tipi holding his busted eye.]

       [Jordi finds Enoz and his wife fall asleep fast.  Jolcz stays
        out late with her soon to be husband (the original warrior
        who led Jordi to the Tipi).  Jordi soon fall asleep.  Thinking
        of Neva and home.  Its strange to be sleeping in such a tight
        place.  The smells and feeling of the place is strange but
        somewhat enticing....a family place...]

       [That night it goes uneventful.  The cold creeps up and time
        passes.  A small warrior, but quiet, party continues till
        about 2am.  Then it dies down to 3 or 4 (aside from sentries
        on the perimeter).  Soon the sun rises..]

                        ---------------------------

     Octaqi 17, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: Caladan's Village, Village is located on Zen'da
         map [see website].  Find Gel'fora on map.  Hex right under
         the F in Gel'fora in the center of that hex.

       [The morning brings a slew of activity from the village. Children
        begin to stur and their youthful energy fills them to go
        plain through the immediate area.  The females prepare breakfast
        as best they can while the men assign duties for hunts and
        patrols.  A rare treat of eggs is fixed for the party with
        some bacon and rice.  At least for those who wish to eat from
        the village.  Jordi soon arrives back to the village to meet
        up with Caladan.]

       [After breakfast Caladan's group forms up.  A circle has been
        prepared to the south side of the village about 200 feet
        from the nearest Tipi.

        Balrog, Kasha, Ben'dar, Thig, Strie'bog, Trembyl, Unali
        and Z'leyra form up to see the other group off.

        After some time Gib'borah and Caladan, who emerge from the
        chief's tipi, meets up as well.  Cetric is the last to
        arrive with several of the village.  By now it seems the
        wow factor of the party has worn off.  Most of the village
        people are distracted or doing chores by now they don't have
        time to see what's going on.

        Caladan, Chion, Xian, Jordi and Farseeker enter the circle.
        Chion finds no problems from Cetric and prepares the group.

        Chion: "We are going into a mountainous area I have never seen
          before. As such, I may fail to get the exact location.  We
          will not be harmed by anything physical which we might
          accidentally teleport into. And if we accidentally appear
          within something we can simply move out of it or I will
          attempt another teleport to escape it. I believe you have seen
          the after-effects of me leaving an insubstantial object to
          turn substantial inside of something else. It was not pretty,
          if you recall. It is of the UTMOST importance that whatever
          you do, you do NOT let go of my belt until I tell you to. If
          we appear in air, do not be worried, I will cast another spell
          which will allow us to harmlessly float to the ground."

        Farseeker [putting up hands] "Whoa!...Whoa!  Inside something?
          Air? I don't know if I like this...what if we merge into
          a mountain a mile inside?  Your spell may fail and we'll
          run out of time moving out? Talk about getting between
          a rock and a hard place!"

        Xian: "There is danger in all magic.  I've done the spell
          myself.  Though granted not of this distance.  It
          is extraordinary.  I'm sure Chion knows what he is doing."
          [He looks at Chion hopefully.]

        Caladan: "With the help of maps and Unali's map I pointed
          to the place we need to go.  Its actually a great opening.
          So there shouldn't be problems....I hope."

        Farseeker: "Well...hmm...I know you guys need a fighter
          with you..but..Kasha? [Kasha smiles and shakes his head]
          Balrog!? [Same thing] Fine.  Let's get this underway.
          But Chion if you kill me I'll kill you first!" [he grins]

        GM: Horses can be taken.  But Caladan, Xian, Farseeker
          and I believe Chion aren't.  Jordi if you want to
          take one yourself or more its ok.  Chion can teleport
          those.  Just let me know by Friday.  It really won't
          matter to events or the situation.

        Gib'borah: "Good luck.  You will be entering nearby
          enemy lands.  Be careful.  Hopefully you will learn
          things to help us."

        [Cetric steps forward.  He hesitates for a few seconds
         then begins to chant and dance around the small circle.
         He begins to beat his drum.  Chion and Jordi begin to
         get nervous.  But Caladan whispers that it is just a
         protection chant for good luck.  After the dance is done
         he backs up.  He nods to Chion and Caladan.]

        [With 5 going Chion stands in the middle holding his large
         staff.  Each person grabs a hold of his belt and touches
         his body for measure.  Each person at one cardinal point
         around him.  Chion begins the magical words..[high above
         Z'leyra's eagle gives a call to the wind.]

        [Chion casts the spell first and makes the 5 lighter and
         without mass.  Chion continues to concentrate and then
         casts the second spell that of teleport.  With a blue
         light the group disappears...into nothingness..for what
         seems like forever...but is actually 4 seconds...the
         five emerge into a open area and everyone gasps to take
         in some air.  Everyone looks around and sees they aren't
         in any thing so they release Chion's belt.  Those who
         do become solid again.  Air rushes into lungs and hurts
         for a second or two.]
        Xian: "That was odd?  Was it me or did I lose my breath?"
        Farseeker: "I did."
        Xian: "Maybe this great distance and the strain of us caused
          something like that.  Where ever one goes in between
          jumps must be a place you can't breath?"

        GM: Teleport was successful.  There was a 12% chance of
          failure.  Guess what.  I rolled a 4 :).  There WAS an
          error.  But with Chion's EL in the spell being so high
          it reduced it only to an error of 9 feet.  The field
          is wider than that.  if it was just a bit lower EL it
          would've been miles away.  The jump did take 4 seconds
          of real time.

        [The small group looks around and sees mountains all around.
         Some lower and higher.  it appears the small group is in
         a open ravine the size of a football field.  Theres nothing
         in the area.  Chion is still non-solid for about half
         a minute before he becomes solid.  The area is quiet but
         looks safe.]

        Xian: "Where are we?"
        Caladan: "I had us teleported here.  This is the site of
         a battle once where we lost 30 Zen'da to 68 L'p'nth.  Its
         almost a sacred spot but not quite.  Nothing seems to
         grow here aside from the low grass so I knew we'd be safe
         coming here.  We are still far from any village or town.
         Let's see...we need to go..." [he looks around and gains
         his bearings.]

        Xian: "You know where your going right?"
        Caladan: "Sure. Sure...just been awhile."
        Farseeker: "How long?"
        Caladan: "...about...four years...not been back over here
          in a long time..just give me a few minutes.."

        [The party examines the area and finds the mountains must
         range from 5,000 to 12,000 feet in the visual range they
         can see.  The higher ones seem to have white patches of
         snow.  After a few minutes...]
        Caladan: "Yes this way.  To the west..."

        [Caladan and his now energetic Firesnake leads the way
         through the field and enters a grove of trees.]
        Xian: "What exactly are we looking for?"
        Caladan: "Well...its complicated.  I'll know it when I
          see it."
        Xian: "So did you and your father talk?"
        Caladan: "Yes.  All night.  It was a good time."
        Farseeker: "What's with Cetric?  Is he always that gruff?
          In the barracks we had a cook who was constantly scolding
          us on bad manners and hitting us on the head.  Always
          in a mood.  And she was at least sociable!"
        Caladan: "Yes hes been that way for years.  But he does seem
          a bit different.  I wasn't expecting the tests myself. the
          reception was rude.  But i do think he is under stress
          and duress by the village to get to the bottom of things.
          He may have done wrong in some eyes but he is doing what
          is best for the Zen'da and the tribe.  That I'm sure..."

        Xian: "So how did you meet your master?"
        Caladan: "I was in these mountains a decade ago as a lad.
          i was hunting alone.  A foolish person i was in these
          lands.  we are near the L'p'nth areas.  But they tend to
          stay further to the east.  Anyways, being young and rash
          like all kids I got lost.  I was on my Kuk'e.  Its sort
          of like a rite of passage for some Zen'da.  Go out into
          the wilds and hunt for some time and return with wisdom
          and other things. But I got caught by some L'p'nth patrols
          and chased for 3 days.  Then all of a --ahh!"
        [He points to a small mountain stream in the middle of the
         woods.  Its going north to south.  On the other side is
         a thick dense fog bank.  So thick its hard to see through it.]
        Caladan: "--All of a sudden this fog bank appeared.  I ran
          through it.  the next thing i know no one was behind me
          and I found his small hut."
        Farseeker: "So he's through there?"
        Caladan: "I figured if I talked about it ..it might show
          up again.  Yes.  Through there.  It should let us pass."
        Xian: "Should?"
        Caladan: "Well it seems to be a ward of some kind to not let
          those he doesn't want to pass.  But its harmless.  Let's
          go..."
        [The five cross the small stream which is only a foot high.
         They enter the thick fog and soon lose sight of each other.
         Then it thins and the group emerges into another clearing
         where no woods are..]

        [Meanwhile back at the village...]

        [When Caladan's group leaves the others head back and forms
         plans for the day.  Cetric explains there is a nearby
         site where they can go.  Its about 3 miles away to the
         south-east.  He assigns 2 warriors to guide the group
         there.  This is done right after breakfast.  It takes
         about half an hour to get to the site.  When the group gets
         there they find a group of about 4 tall trees in the middle
         of the plains.  The warriors ask the party to dismount
         as the ground is sacred.  The party notices what is mounts
         of rocks and sicks where graves must be.  Its clear the
         sand has been disturbed lately and replaced back again.  There
         is no open graves now but looks like 3 of the 8 mounts have
         been recently changed.  The party begins to look around
         the site for clues.]

        [Meanwhile back in the mountains..]

        [when the group leaves the fog the clearing is another
         small valley.  The five of the group is on the
         upper east edge of the valley with the valley down below
         them a few hundred feet.  Down the valley among a small
         clump of trees is a small house about 500 yards away.
         The party begins to climb down the steep slope toward
         the house.]

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday...

     Healing reports done in previous updates.

     NOTE: See game website.  Bottom of the page is a updated map
     of the adventure area.  If your curious as to where the Tribe
     is and where Caladan's group is heading.  Locate the Gel'fora
     tribe marker on the map.  Below the name is a red blotch.  This
     is where the village is.  Go almost due south.  In the mountains
     to the east is a White lop-sided X.  That's where Caladan's
     group is heading for.

     GM: Sadly ran out of time tonight.  Have to hit the sack.  So
      a short update.  I may do a Supplement update on Wednesday.
      If not next update friday.  If there are particular things
      to do at the grave site or in preparation for the house let
      me know.  Otherwise I'll do the supplement or update.

      Strie'bog.  Want to elaborate on this wisdom thing? You can
      do it in public or email. Thanks

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933