[pnpgm] Game update #50 - File #208 - Strie'bog and Cetric fight...

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Thu Nov 3 02:49:22 CET 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar
       6 Captured Zen'da Horses

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #50 in sequence (file #208]

     Admin notes: Well.  Hope everyone had a good Halloween.  Holidays
     are coming up fast!

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions/Fight/Reaction]
          OOC:  The healing for Ben'dar will be magical (I don't have
          it up right now, but if I remember he needs both physical
          and energy healing).

          "What peace have you offered Cetric," Strie'bog begins.  "By
           the ritual you so recently defiled?  The cup passed
           represents the life of this community, and I drank to honor
           this tribe, for I do not believe that those sitting here
           fully knew what you planned. But you Cetric, what peace can
           exist when you have broken trust with your guests?
           Hospitality is the greatest gift we give and receive, and
           it is based upon trust.  What have you done to rebuild the
           trust that has been broken?  How can any traveler ever
           trust the hospitality of you offer?"  He raises his hand to
           indicate that this is not a question to be answered yet,
           "You have not atoned for your actions Cetric.  You have
           offered words, and explanations for your actions, but have
           your fully accepted responsibility for this breach of
           hospitality and trust?"  He looks directly at Cetric, "I
           must thank you Cetric, for you have taught me a powerful
           lesson.  Never before I have met someone who I realize I can
           not trust."

           Strie'bog stands, addressing his companions and the elders.
           "Cetric is right.  The Vassa are a peaceful people, but they
            are also a people that are very insightful, and this I do
            not think Cetric realizes.  Relations can grow sour.
            Insults, slights, minor betrayals can eat at the soul of
            a person or a group.  Though the Vassa always seek first
            the peaceful resolution, of which there are hundreds of
            rituals and acts of atonement and healing.  Yet, there is
            always the case where the hurt has festered, and the
            peaceful ways do not bridge the gap.  In the most serious
            crimes, blood is required to create balance, as you heard
            in the story, but that is the extreme case.  The holy men
            of the woods and Vassa long ago realized that these
            corrupting wounds require physical action to work them
            out of the body.  They established a ritual combat in which
            the wounds were coaxed to the surface.  Those involved
            fought with only their bodies until one of the combatants
            was unconscious."

            Looking to the elders, "this is not a combat to determine a
            victor, or who was in the right.  It is combat to cleanse
            the poisons of betrayal, slights and insults that deeply
            cut into the community. I understand that this may be a
            different concept for many of you, but it is a way to heal."
            Looking to Cetric, "The proxy is a person who is not
            involved with the relationship in question, but stands to
            combat the hurt individual or group.  This occurs if the
            person who caused the injury is dead or infirm, and unable
            to stand in the combat."  He looks around, "the proxy acts
            as a surrogate, so that the injured party can purge their
            bodies and spirits of the hurt.  This is a sacred rite,
            meant to cleanse old wounds. The relationship between Cetric
            and I is new."  He looks at Cetric, "my mother would have
            called for your blood to cleanse the land of your actions."
            He again looks around, "I was raised among the Vassa, but
            their blood does not flow in my veins.  My mother's rage
            at the desecration of a sacred rite honoring life burns
            through me, but my father's calm and wisdom cools this fire."

            Looking back at Cetric, "you said that I was not a warrior,
            but I have served before as a proxy in ritual combat.
            Though not as tested in battle as your warrior and my
            companions, I have seen battle with the forces of the Elder
            Wyrm and the forces of destruction and binding.  Our
            cultures are different, and the Vassa ways of peace will
            seem alien to you, so I offer you a way to bridge the rift
            between you and me that makes more sense to the Zen'da. This
            is no atonement to my companions or the ritual that you
            desecrated, those you will have to find within yourself.
            This though is a start of rebuilding the sundered relation
            between you and I.  Do you agree?"

            If he agrees, I will turn to Z'leyra and Caladan, "this
            ritual requires a purified space and a call to the forces
            of life.  I do not know if you can accomplish this, but I
            will aid how I can." Looking to Cetric, "prior to the combat,
            we are required to sit for a while to recount our actions
            and words to one we trust.  Most of these are known, but it
            is a ritual that will focus our intent and call up the pain
            to be cleansed."  He looks to Ben'dar, "if you agree, would
            you hear the anger and pain that lives within me?"

            Strie'bog will first work with Z'leyra and Caladan to create
            a  ritual space for the combat, and in the Tounge of the
            Wood call  upon the Court of Cernunnos.

            He will retire with Ben'dar away from the others and begin,
            "My anger over Cetric's actions may seem strange to you, but
            as I said, my mother's rage burns within me.  She is the
            forest of the Vassa, she is it's life.  Any betrayal of
            life cuts deeply into me, as it does her.  As she, I serve
            the Lord of Life so this act is doublely painful.  The tests
            insulted further, though for some it has brought many of
            you into closer alignment with this tribe. During my test,
            I told a story.  It was a story from my birth, and told to
            me by the one who died and was reborn through my mother's
            blessing.  He is a teacher and friend, thus the breech of
            hospitality and sacred rites thus strikes me doubly hard.
            I find it hard to find in myself a desire to aid these people
            because of Cetric.  He holds the spirit of these people, and
             while I see it as corrupt I find it hard to want to help.
             The only reason I stay and desire to help is that the
             agents of destruction seem to be fouling this la! nd."
             Strie'bog then recounts what Cetric has done to himself and
             the group.

             OOC:  The combat is to KO using unarmed combat.  Strie'bog
             will not fight dirty or anything of the sort, so feel free
             to just run through the combat.  Afterward, when Strie'bog
             (or Cetric) wakes up, Strie'bog will clasp Cetric's hand
             and smile, "Let this be the beginning of a new relationship."

             In the morning, Strie'bog will cast 'Wisdom' in an attempt
             to understand more of Cetric's vision and what evil is
             happening on the plains.  He will explain to the group what
             he is doing, and ask that they watch over his body.
        GM: Ack.  I'm impressed.  Good staying in character.
            You rationalize it well for what is required.  But this
            ritual is that a purified ground?  Or just chants and such.
            It won't matter for the combat but wanted to make sure.

     Octaqi 16, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: River Sch (E) Riverbank, Zen'da Plains, 306 Miles
         North of Asichi City, Heading East from River

       Location: Village Lodge
       Time: c. 10pm

       GM:  When I first created Cetric back in the spring this year
         in preparation for this adventure I never knew he would be
         so hated.  Its actually funny.  This guy is more hated then
         some of the villains I've had in games!  Guess I'm either
         doing a good job with him or a poor one :)  but I must admit
         the stuff is fun.   As with npcs and pcs I tend to get into
         the head of the character and like writers of a novel they
         find characters doing stuff that amazes the writer.  Not that
         I am even REMOTELY close to a good writer :)  But sometimes
         character do things that surprise me.

       [During the meeting in the Lodge....]

         [Chion replies to Caladan]
         Chion replies: "I can teleport rather well. As I offered
         previously, I can make the distance. It would not be faster by
         horse unless you were riding on it when we teleport. The risk
         of teleport error can also be minimalized with an ability you
         have seen me use several times already called non-corporealness.
         I can cast this with travellers included as well, just to be
         safe. My ability to read your mind I have not displayed to you
         and I wouldn't intrude upon your thoughts unless asked. But
         rest assured, I can get us there quickly, safely and easily."
         He'll remain relatively stoic and conclude with, "I'd like
         very much to meet your instructor."

         [Caladan hears this and smiles and then gives a belly laugh.]
         Caladan: "You are teasing me!  You can jump 200 miles in one
           jump?"
         [He then sees Chion's face in a serious stare and sobers up.
          Xian then speaks up.]
         Xian: "Your serious? That's ...amazing.  Even I can't go
           that far.  Didn't think one COULD go that far.  Amazing.."
         [He shakes his head in wonder.]
         Caladan: "I ...didn't realize this.  Thank you.  Your service
           will be appreciated!"
         Trembyl: "If you can do that I'm surprised you don't get hired
           as a royal messenger.  Sending dispatches great distances
           in minutes would make you quite wealthy!"
         Caladan: "Yes indeed.  All right then.  In the morning we
            will leave.  Anyone else wish to join us?  I suggest
            at least some of us stay here in case of problems here.
            Woudenal can be...eccentric...odd...but he is wise and
            a funny guy."
         Xian: "I'm in. I've always wanted to see your master since
            you talked about him so many years ago."
         Balrog: "No offense but those magical spells make me itch
            and nervous.  I'll stay here."
         Kasha: "I'll stay as well.  I like it here."

            Player       Visit Master     Stay in Village   No Vote yet
            Caladan           X                  -             -
            Chion             X                  -             -
            Xian              X                  -             -
            Balrog            -                  X             -
            Kasha             -                  X             -
            Farseeker         -                  -             X
            Ben'dar           -                  -             X
            Thig              -                  -             X
            Jordi             -                  -             X
            Strie'bog         -                  -             X
            Trembyl           -                  -             X
            Unali             -                  -             X
            Z'leyra           -                  -             X

            GM: Let me know if you stay in village or go with Caladan.
              There will be action for either side.  One side might
              get more action though.  But if need be Chion can always
              come back for reinforcements but not the other way around.
              The ones with no votes (npcs) will decide based on player
              votes.

         Cetric: "Then we are done here?  Good night to you all."

         Gib'borah [standing] "I may not have said this earlier due to
           time and the other issues.  But I wish to officially welcome
           all of you to the village.  A day later but things got in
           the way.  You may sleep in the center of the village near
           the bon fire.  Some who may offer tipis for sleeping, you
           are free to sleep there as well.  I can even take a few
           of you into my tent if you wish to."

         Caladan: "Is my tipi stored away?"
         Gib'borah: [He recalls memories] "The one you made as a boy?
           Yes.  Its stored away.  Would you like it put up?"
          Caladan: "Actually.  I wouldn't mind spending time with you.
            Catching up on things and ...talking.  Is that ok?"
          Gib'borah: "Of course."

          [Scene with strie'bog and Cetric occurs next as in previous
           updates.  Now it continues..]

          [Cetric listens well at times gives a confused and innocent
           look on his face.]
          Cetric: "Do I take responsibility?  Yes.  Would I do it again
            if I knew what may occur.  Yes! My actions are for the
            Tribe.  For the Zen'da.  Even for you! None of it was for
            me or personal gain.  That would have been wrong.  Who
            is this proxy fellow?" [Obviously he doesn't understand
            the word.]
          Caladan: "A champion...a secondary..a person who would fight
            or do actions in place of you.  Its like when a clan calls
            for you to perform a ritual but your busy in another area
            you send your secondary shaman apprentice."
          Cetric: "Ahh."
          [During mention of this ritual Cetric smirks and nods.
           Its a way out of this mess.]
          Cetric: "I agree.  If it is your way.  As to giving words
            of anger I will not I have no wor--"
          [Gib'borah clears his throat and glances at Cetric.]
          Cetric: "--maybe I could ...talk of my frustration in
            this matter to one I trust.  Maybe to Jolcz since she
            was part of this all.  Is that good?"
          [Assuming it is Cetric waves to the outside for the fight.]

          [As the party leaves the Lodge the wall cloths are uncovered
           revealing the open lodge now.  Inside remains the Elders,
           Cetric and Gib'borah.  They begin to talk quietly among
           themselves.  The party heads out to various places.

           Caladan waits outside and talks to some warriors about
           folks he hasn't seen in some time.  Farseeker heads to
           the bon fire and sets a place to sleep.  Tired from
           the combat that day he falls fast asleep even during the
           following fight.  Thig returns from his test and folks
           fill him on the various results of the day.  Others find
           places to rest or sleep.  Jordi returns to Enoz's place.

           Cetric travels on horse to find Jolcz to talk to her
           per the ritual.  He is surprised to find Jordi at the
           tipi with Enoz.  He nods at Jordi but says nothing.
           Jolcz and Cetric leave for a short time before she returns.

           Z'leyra, Caladan and Strie'bog prepare the area.  Then
           Strie'bog and Ben'dar depart to a quiet place to talk.
           Caladan meets with Gib'borah and talks to him till the
           fight and even after the fight ends for most of the night.

           Soon a bit over an hour passes.  Its now around 11:45
           or 11:50.  Near midnight.  By now the village is empty
           aside from the party members (except Jordi who should
           still be at Enoz's tipi I believe) who are still awake.
           The women and children are all in their tipis fast asleep.
           Theres about 34 warriors still awake waiting for the
           upcoming fight.  They range in age from 17-30.  The rest
           of the village is either busy or asleep.

           The bon fire is constantly being fed by a young warrior
           so its flaring.  Around the tipis are torches that are
           lit but about half are not lit.  This creates a darkness
           around the camp but not so much in the center area.
           The plains are cold this time of night and winds bristle
           in the quiet of the camp.  Talking is kept low so not
           to disturb others.

           Strie'bog approaches and waits for Cetric.  Cetric returns
           on horse and dismounts, giving the horse to a warrior,
           and walks toward Strie'bog.

          Cetric: "Ready?"
          [Strie'bog nods and begins to remove gear from his body.
           So does Cetric.  Cetric last removes his drum to a
           warrior to hold personally.  Now both men stand in
           leathers and warm clothing facing each other.]

          Cetric: "I hope this makes things right."

          [Warriors form a circle.  They do not holler and yell as
           they would during the day so not to disturb the sleeping.
           The party notices Caladan and Gib'borah standing just
           outside Gib'borah's tipi watching the fight.  The Elders
           are no where to be seen.  Likely gone to their own Tipi.

          Cetric [he whispers so only Cetric can hear] "You know
            I won't hold back.  I can't hold back.  For my sake
            as much as yours.  I hope not to hurt you.  But I
            wanted to warn you.  You wanted this not me."

          [Cetric notices his arms are muscled in his leather skirt
           which has no sleeves.  Course most barbarians are since
           its a harder life than in the city.  Cetric stands a full
           5 inches taller than Cetric and almost 20 pounds on him
           as well.  This may give the advantage to Cetric.]

          [Both men circle each other for what seems like forever
           in the darkness.  They stare at each other fists drawn
           in a fighting stance.  Cetric is obviously trained in
           unarmed combat as well.  Neither men wish to attack first
           as to lose the initiative and face it seems.  both circle
           each other over and over.]

          [Finally Cetric sees a chance and throws a punch right
           at Strie'bog.  His left hand hits Strie'bog right in
           the left cheek but Strie'bog remains up.  Strie'bog
           reacts and the fist hits the upper head but Cetric
           just gives a laugh at the light tap.]

          [Cetric throws another punch but misses entirely.
           Strie'bog doesn't and hits Cetric's right eye. The
           impact sends Cetric backward.  Arms flaring.  The eye
           closes in pain.  Cetric gives a laugh...then he falls
           to his knee and puts a hand to his eye.  He then glares
           at Strie'bog and falls to the ground.]

          [The party charge forward and congratulates Strie'bog.
           Cetric is on the ground knocked out.]

          GM: I played it by the numbers.  Wow.  Strie'bog takes
            a 8 point hit 43% chance of being knocked out.  Wasn't.
            Cetric takes 1 (check) no KO, takes 2 more in the eye
            and 15% chance of being knocked out.  Rolled a 11!
            Geesh.  And Odds in Cetric's favor.  Fight took 9 seconds.

          [Warriors drag Cetric off to a blanket and lay him there
           with his stuff.  Ben'dar goes off and drinks with some
           of the warriors in a mild celebration.  Cetric wakes up
           23 minutes later.  Cetric staggers over to Strie'bog.
           Strie'bog's left cheek has a good bruise on it while
           Cetric has one on his eye and may swell later.]
          Cetric: "You won.  Is your ritual over now?" [He grins.]

          [After midnight now the party begins to get some sleep
           or drink with warriors and share stories.  Cetric returns
           later to his tipi for some herbs and healing as well
           as sleep.]

          [Just before midnight with help from Z'leyra Ben'dar is
           healed 2 more points.]

                   ------------------------------------

          [Morning soon comes.  During the night people heal
           naturally....

           Balrog heals 4 Energy Level from poison effects

           Ben'dar's physical wounds all heal.  He heals 8
             Energy level

           Farseeker completely heals himself sleeping with the
             help of Z'leyra's previous healing.

           Chion heals 8 points of damage but still has a small
             minor sore region.  The poison is now gone from
             Chion's system healing Energy Level.

           Trembyl gets rid of his poison in his system overnight.

           Unali heals 3 points leaving a minor scratch only.  She
             also gets rid of her poison effects.

          [Summary of Health]
             Player     Hit Points    Energy Level    Notes
             Balrog                    -5 @  83%    {Poison]
             Ben'dar                   -3 @  90%    [Poison]
             Chion      -3 @  92%                   [Bruise]
             Unali      -1 @  93%                   [Duel Damage]

          GM: So by sunrise only Chion and Unali have a minor
            bruise or scratch.  Only Balrog and Ben'dar still
            feel some minor effects of the poison.  Everyone
            else is in 100% shape.

          [Summary of Mana Resources]
             Player      Regenerates    Now at
             Caladan          -         100% [Full]
             Thig             -         100% [Full]
             Jordi            3         -14
             Xian             5         - 3
             Chion           11         100% [Full]
             Trembyl          6         100% [Full]
             Strie'bog        4         -14

                        -----------------------------

     Octaqi 17, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: Caladan's Village, Village is located on Zen'da
         map [see website].  Find Gel'fora on map.  Hex right under
         the F in Gel'fora in the center of that hex.

       [The women wake up early almost an hour before sunrise as
        the men or drunk men still sleep.  They gather food and
        prepare the day's events and food.  Soon the children are
        waken to help the women.  Eventually aside from the sentries
        on duty men begin to finally wake up just before dawn.

        The party prepares either to leave or for breakfast.  A
        minor breakfast is prepared for everyone of eggs, bread,
        and some rice or soup mixture.

        While breakfast is being made Z'leyra spots the old man
        from the previous day's tests.  She asks Cetric if she
        can heal him and the horse.  He agrees but feels the man
        may not be too easily cured.  He has tried already.
        The horse limps forward and Z'leyra asks ben'dar to help
        inspect the horse's wounds.  While Ben'dar does this
        Z'leyra take the old man into a empty tipi used for
        storage.  Its lined with sacks and other items but empty.

        The old man has a younger female who explains is his daughter.
        Shes in her 20s and watches the events with interest.  Z'leyra
        takes out her bag and pulls out a jade stone.  She then
        sets out a silver goblet along with it.  Then she tells them
        she is going to commune with the spirits and begins to cast
        magic.  She determines no healing really would be effective.
        She suggests a massage to better help things but the man is
        too afraid of it so she doesn't argue the point.

        Twice Z'leyra uses her drum for spells.  She touches the
        Jade and it seems to glow for a split second and sparkle.
        She pulls out a skin of water and places it on the ground.
        She places the jade in the silver goblet and pours water in
        it.  She then swirls it by moving the goblet back and forth.
        This seems to create a greenish liquid that foams and then
        begins to turn back to water.  She pulls the top of the Jade
        sticking out of the goblet out.  She tells the man to drink.
        Confused and scared he shakes his head.  It takes several
        minutes to convince the man to drink with the help of his
        daughter.  He drinks the full goblet of water and hands it
        back.  Z'leyra doesn't wait put puts things back in her bags
        and waits a few minutes.  Several awkward minutes pass before
        Z'leyra asks the daughter info on his sickness.  Based on
        the interview she pulls out various new things.  Things no one
        in this area is likely to have seen.  She names them and
        points to them in a order laid out.  She then puts them back
        in after asking him to memorize them.  She then asks him
        several questions on them and he answers them at first slow
        but seems to speed up.  After 10 questions he answers them
        all correct. Even his daughter missed one.  Happy Z'leyra
        decides the man must be cured or at least a good partial cure.
        Being mental disease its really difficult to determine.
        Excited the 2 leave and the daughter gleefully finds folks
        to tell the story.  Even at one point forgetting her father.
        The daughter thanks Z'leyra over and over.

        Z'leyra walks over to the horse passing Cetric who doesn't
        look at her but talks to some other warriors quietly.
        She asks Ben'dar of his assessment.  She then uses a quick
        massage onto the leg of the horse.  Gives the horse a herb
        or two to help his system.  She redoes the old bandage
        and does another one of her own.  She then beats her drum
        for another spell.  She checks the horse but same wound.
        She tries again.  Same thing.  Two failures.  She tries
        a third time and finally the wound seems to reset and contort.
        The horse gives a yelp of pain and almost bolts off but
        Ben'dar holds him.  Then as quickly as it comes the muscle
        seems to be healed.  Ben'dar checks him and finds its just
        a minor wound now which might take a day and it should be
        completely fixed.

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Monday.

     I know a early Friday update.  Since I got what I needed I
     went ahead and did the update early.  Consider this Friday's
     update.  This gives till monday for the next one.

     Need to know at this point any actions and comments and if
     your staying in village or going with Caladan.  Its your choice.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933