[pnpgm] Game update #19 - File #81 - Party spends time in Cholchara

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Jun 21 21:28:02 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #19 in sequence (file #81]

     Admin notes: None

        From Strie'bog: [Re: Actions]
          If it comes to an overland route, Strie'bog will ask Ben'dar
          for assistance in purchasing a horse.
        GM: Ack.

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra mentions "If we go by sea, I will make sure to have
          an empty keg I can tie myself to. Doing that saved my life
          when I was going to Clima."
        GM: Ack.

        From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          Just a silly doubt.
          Caladan has voted for "land".  Is it correct or a typing
          mistake? Because we are in this trip to help his family, and
          I (Jordi) believed that speed was of essence for him...
        GM: Yes.  Its correct will elaborate below.

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions/replies to Strie'bog]
          To Strie'bog:  "Feel free to come with me to the horse markets.
          I will be making some contacts there and learning of the horse
          trade in this city.  I am happy to help a friend, especially
          when it comes to choosing a good horse!"  Though Ben'Dar does
          not have any business contacts in this city, he will use his
          skills in horsemanship and husbandry to appraise the horses for
          sale to get a good quality horse at a fair price for Strie'bog.

          Regarding a good bed and a bath...those are things that
          civilized folk cherish.  Ben'Dar explains himself thusly:
          "I am used to sleeping out under the stars with the scent of
          the prairie in my nostrils and the sound of the gentle wind
          blowing through the grasslands in my ears.  To me, that is
          much better than a crowded inn with the stench of rotting
          food and excrement assaulting me, while trying to sleep in a
          lumpy bed infested with vermin and who knows what else."
          However, that won't stop him from stopping in at an inn
          during the day to have a few ales!  ;-)
        GM: Ack :)

        From Chion: [Re: Vote]
          Chion will state: "I do not care which manner of travel
          we choose. I would like to point out the benefit of slower
          travel has led us to already have stopped a local threat.
          I am equally at home on land or sea or river... or air...
          it has been nice learning the pains of riding." All in his
          typical manner.
        GM: Vote is either way.  Ack.  Wasn't posted to the list
          so this is new for folks.

     Sepes 18, Fridada in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: Cholchara City, Marentia

     With Chion's vote of Either this still leaves
       Land 6/13   River 5/13  Either 1/13    Unknown 1/13
     Unali still hasn't voted.  But looks like it will be
     a overland trip.

     Caladan: "Why take the land?  There are many dangers via
       the river.  Not only will you have to deal with two sides
       of the bank being tribal land but the water dangers.
       These dangers include swift currents which cna run boats
       aground.  Leaving the boat to get the horses ashore will
       also be dangerous at the end point from the beasts in the
       water.  These have been known to include alligator and
       snakes."

                                -----------

     Sepes 11, Satusda in the 163rd Year [TH]

     [The next day Chion with Strie'bog and Ben'dar go do some
      horse business.  They sell Chion's Riding horse for
      a warhorse.  With Ben'dar's haggling skills they sell
      the riding horse for 3 GC and 7 SC (slight discount).
      Ben'dar doesn't mention chion being the rider or buyer as
      that would up the price due to his large body frame (ie
      hurting the horses back).  After a few hours they locate
      chion a good war horse which the solider was in a recent
      battle with raiders and lost a hand so can't use the
      horse anymore.  The horse is well trained.  The person
      sells it for 9 GC and 2 SC.]

     [Strie'bog is almost skilled in riding a horse.  Based on
      Ben'dar's training its only a couple more days of riding
      max before he can ride a horse well.  Strie'bog decides
      to buy a good new horse and replace the donkey.  The
      donkey is traded in but there is no profit or loss as
      its sold for its normal price of 4 SC.  Ben'dar then
      helps him go find a good horse.  After he finds a small
      scar on one horse's leg from a previous injury he decides
      on a second riding horse that seems suitable.  Ben'dar
      gets a good price for the horse.  It normally sells for
      4 GC but Ben'dar gets almost 7 (6.8) silver off the horse
      for a final price of 33 SC and 2 CC.

     GM: Strie'bog I know you don't have much case.  But I figure
       you'll payat least 1 GC.  From 3 performances you do.
       One first night and 2 more second night you get 12 SC.
       Due to being in a good tavern with middle class folks.
       The problem is one performance that morning didn't do so
       well.  (Failed skill rolls).  The audience got a bit
       grumpy with it.  No pay was given and lucky for you
       there was no punishment via the entertainment table. :)
       So this leaves you 11 SC and 2 CC for the horse.
       You have the Copper so you pay that part which only
       leaves you 11 SC to buy the horse.  When Z'leyra hears
       this she agrees to lend you the money (I talked to alex
       in ICQ about this).  So the horse is paid for.]

      GM: With Chion's and Strie'bog's new horses the party
        speed increases from 9 to 15 miles per day.  A better
        speed improvement.  Not still at full but getting there.

      [During the day Ben'dar meets with the market and shop
       owners in the horse business.  He is slightly dismayed
       when he learns the quality of horses in this area isn't
       as great as in Maren or even Sivas.  He later is told
       the history of Cholchara by Xian.  Seems with the battles
       from Zen'dali tribes, Ba'rual and L'p'nth this area has
       been ravaged by wars.  The last battle was just over a
       century ago when L'p'nth was stopped on the city gates.
       So based on this information Ben'dar likely assumes the
       good line of horses in this area has decreased from
       the wars.  After only a few generation of horses the
       horses are starting to rebuild their quality but it
       will take some time.  Ben'dar mentions his horse ranch
       down near Maren city and is happy to at least make
       some contacts.  Most of the folks in Cholchara are
       farmers and herders so this will only be a secondary
       site for horse business for Ben'dar's ranch in the
       long run.]

      [Balrog spends the day with Kasha visiting various
       taverns to taste the local food and drink.  Maybe
       in hopes of companionship as well.]

      [Ben'dar visits the markets all day till sundown.]

      [Farseeker tours the city gazing at the scars the city
       walls and gates have had in various battles.  Always
       eager to learn more of the recent battles.  He visits
       a few taverns where the local guards tend to lurk at.
       Rough and tumble establishments with bar brawls often
       occur.  In fact that night Farseeker gets in a brawl
       with a local guard who claims Farseeker made him spill
       ale on him.  Course it was an excuse for a brawl.
       Farseeker obliged.  After the quick battle Farseeker
       used no weapons but his hands.  He took out 3 locals and
       2 guards and enjoyed himself.  He wasn't wounded though
       did pop one knuckle out of place for a short while.]

      [Thig stays the day inside the hotel sleeping with the
       3 canines.  During the night he ventures to a local
       tavern with help from Trembyl for food and drink.  He
       goes in disguise though.  He knows many haven't seen
       a faerry in this area in years if ever.]

      [Strie'bog tends to stay with ben'dar on horse hunting
       or doing performances for pay and room/board other times.]

      [Trembyl quietly explores the city alone...]

      [Unali, Z'leyra, Jordi & Chion don't know activities at this
       point.].

      [Xian tries to locate a old family friend but fails to locate
       his house.  He returns to the hotel for the rest of the time.]

      [Caladan heads to the north section of the city where he
       knows Zen'da may frequent.  He tries to hear of news on
       the plains and recent area by carousing with some of the
       barbarians and merchants.]

     [That night Caladan returns with a changed vote.]
     Caladan: "I had hope to avoid the river dangers.  But
       I've heard news that Ba'rual people are having a small
       open range war with the Ser'manda.  This has occured
       when the farmers killed many cattle since they were
       found on their farms.  The military is not involved yet
       but if we go by land we could be caught in the middle.
       I'd hate to endanger the group that way.  We will have
       to risk the river route."

                                ---------------

     GM: The delay in this update was due to some number crunching.
       Here is the results.

       Overland route - 15 Miles per day
          70 Miles on road from Cholchara to Marentian Fort
             3 days of travel
         400 miles of plains travel - 27 days travel

         Total of 30 days travel

       River/Sea - Via Barge 10-30 miles per day depending on winds
         120 Miles [ 6 days] trael to AScihi port via merchant ship
         280 Miles [10 days] on river
          90 miles [ 6 days] inland over plains travel
             Total  22 Days

         [This includes Jord's spell of water at Max EL2.]
         I already figured out the winds for the trip.  So
         by river party saves 1 full week.

       GM: Travel in ancient times without a super bullet train is
         slow isn't it? :)

                    Advtantages             Disadvantages
         River      Speed             Maneuver Room if battle
                                      Sailing cost
         Land       Combat room       Only food cost

       GM: If caladan changes his vote then i guess its river.
         If you guys want to change your vote or still wish
         to go by land let me know.  Either way is fine.
         But if theres no major changes by friday we will start
         off over water and I'll do any encounters.

         Based on this info you guys can plan for 22 or 29 days
         of skills/spells.  Keep in mind though as with clima
         saving mana is always good for those battles in the
         future :)

      gM: BTW for those who wish to know the final destination.
        Check the map out on website or your map book.  I tried
        to mark a X on the map but it wouldn't save it for
        some oddball reason.  But find the right, find Ga'fel'ora
        tribe.  Find the G in the name.  The hex where the G is
        and go down one hex.  That's the hex where the party
        is heading.

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday...

     Ok.  Let me know if you wish to buy anything or do anythign
     special in town.  Will be in Cholchara for night and the
     next day full.  Then travel 22 or 29 days.  Zen'da is
     a barter nation so coins will be useless.

     BTW- Horse report on website updated with minor changes
     for Strie'bog/Chion on speed.

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site
ICQ: 24436933