[pnpgm] Game update #20 - File #86 - Travel costs ...expensive...

pnpgm pnpgm at softhome.net
Tue Jul 5 05:16:53 CEST 2005

  R3 Balrog................Balrog............Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  ?? Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4 Tom Crockett..........Caladan...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  R1 Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Sergi Sallent.........Jordi.............Wizard..Normal/Elf    Ma
  R4 Tim Falkenberg........Malradh ben Kasha.Merc....Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Wayne Richardson/Uji..Thig..............Sidh MU.Normal/Faerry Ma
  Do Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Artist..Normal/Human  Ma
  R3 Orion (Paul Broman)...Trembyl...........Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3 Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R3 Scott Adams...........Xian..............Wizard..Normal/Human  Ma
  W2 Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
     Animals: Ventrius/Pogo Thig's dogs, Firesnake of Caladan's,
       Z'Leyra's Eagle, 2 Draft Horses, Wolf - Boyzdar

     Game Web Site - For updates, files, links, etc.

<http://users.cybermax.net/~longshot/pbem/index.htm>http://users.cybermax.ne
t/~longshot/pbem/index.htm

     Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at softhome.net

     Game Update #20 in sequence (file #86]

     Admin notes: Man.  I was tired doing that last update I guess.
     tons of stupid errors (case=cash? Geesh).

       From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Having grown up in tribal lands Z'leyra knows what kind of
          trade goods would be good to bring along. She goes and buys
          a selection of trade goods, spending 5 GC on them.
       GM: No Walmart so theres no Trade Goods aisle.  But since you
          have sent a email it looks good.

                                -------
       From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          To Caladan, Ben'Dar asks, "Any chance we will be stopping
          in the city of Ba'ru?  I have never been there but have
          heard of it since I was a child.  I would like to see it
          if time permits."

          GM question:  Can we still do horsemanship training while
          traveling on the river/lake?
       GM: Ack.  See below.  As to horse.  No.  Tiny space.  Very
          cramped.  Sorry.  But there will be a few days of riding.

                                -------
       From Jordi: [Re: Actions]
          (OOC: Sorry, but I will be without internet connexion until
          monday, so I have to make a quick post).

          Jordi is quite disturbed by the news about hostilities
          between the tribes.
          "Caladan, have the news about the combats something to do
           with your family problems?"

          Jordi looks for Farseeker.
          "If you don't mind, I am interested in what you can teach
           me about mercenaries and the like, but I don't know if this
           city is a safe place for an elf.

          If it is safe, I would like to learn something about them...
          general knowledge, not particularities of this area
          mercenaries".

          (OOC: Jordi stops using any magic from now until we leave
          the ship, to save mana; only luck, purification and friendly
          currents when needed.)
       GM: Ack on delay.  Will reply to above below.  But on spells
          you may want to clarify that a bit like mana levels, ELs
          and when to cast them.  See below.

       From Strie'bog to Z'leyra: [Re: Loan]
          "Z'leyra, thank you for helping me to purchase the horse.
           When able, I will repay your kindness."

           Strie'bog will offer to help his companions.  As he is not
           a merchant, he does not know what items would be good to
           trade,  but he will help in what ever ways he can.

     Sepes 18 and 19, in the 163rd Year [TH]
       Location: Cholchara City, Marentia

     GM: Some Recap.

       A. Z'leyra loans 11 SC to Strie'bog for horse.
       B. Trips - Overland - 29 Days
                  By River - 22 Days
       C. Jordi   - No Net access till Monday
          Ben'dar - Out of town till next week.

                        --------------

     [Z'leyra asks Caladan about trade goods for the plains.]
     Caladan: "My people and those on the plains are not rich
       by city standards.  We don't deal in coins.  We deal
       in simple barter.  Being hunters and herders products
       relating to those jobs are acceptable.  But as with
       civilized lands supply and demand is important.  If
       one sees no need he won't trade."

     [Caladan replies to Ben'dar]
     Caladan: "Honestly, I don't know.  Going by water from
       the maps the best route is from here to Asichi.  If
       we divert to Ba'ru city it could add an extra day or
       even two.  It will be up to the merchant captain and
       his prices.  You do also realize Ba'ru is a foreign
       city?"
     Kasha: "He's right.  Being a separate nation they will
       have their own form of markets Marentia has.  It would
       take far more time to get contacts setup there than
       here due to the border issue."
     GM: You would have to likely pay a moneylender and a
       person skilled in law to figure out the issues on
       importing and exporting horses.  This would take a long
       term effort you may not have time for right now Ben'dar.
       Sorry.  Best build up a national marketplace then expand.
       On the way back though if the party goes this route your
       free to do it.  Now course being a player your free to
       do whatever.  If you wish to take a faster ship to Ba'ru
       spend a few days then meet the party in Asichi that's possible
       as well.  Just let me know.

     [Caladan to Jordi in Ba'rual trouble]
     Caladan: "My family?  No.  I doubt it.  Those border disputs between
       herders and Ba'rual farmers are common. In fact there and the
       western tribes with the forest people.  Conflicts are normal as
       one side or another expands or grows.  As long as one nation like
       Ba'rual doesn't get the military involved.  We could still go
       overland but if we get in the middle of the range war in that
       area it could slow us down."

     [Jordi to Farseeker - Re: Mercs]
     Farseeker: "I'm not a mercenary.  I work for his Majesty.  Well
       off and on." [He grins] "I grew up around the military and
       joined up early.  I've seen action mainly here in Marentia,
       some in Bhamotin and minor military skirmishes in other lands
       I...shouldn't discuss.  Cholchara safe for an Elf? Don't know.
       But I'd say it is.  Just don't flaunt those things." [He points
       to your ears] "..and you should be fine.  Your best bet is to
       talk to Kasha.  He is an actual man for hire.  He originally
       is from Bhamotin.  Worked for some people in Marentia and
       eventually joined us more or less as a free lance merc.  But
       hes the closest merc in the group than I am.  Now if you wanted
       to know military stuff like tactics or how best to swing a pike
       then I'm your man!"
     GM: If you want Kasha can give you advice during the trip.  If
       you have specific questions let me know.  Otherwise he can
       fill you in on the various groups, normal hiring procedures
       of most mercs, etc.

                        ------------------
     [Expenses]

       [Three rooms rented for both nights.  Three groups of people
        will sleep in all 3 rooms.  Others outside in a camp. The
        room rate will be divided equally and actual expense listed
        below. A good inn is found (4 CC room and 5 BB for food).]

       [Chion, Kasha, Caladan, Xian in one room (Chion takes up
        a chunk of space.  Room 2 - Farseeker, Strie'bog, Trembyl
        and Balrog. Room 3 - [To give the women somewhat privacy)
        is Z'leyra and Unali.  Thig and the 3 canines stay in room
        3 but he takes up very little room and places a blanket wall
        to give the women privacy.  Thig pays a bit more for his
        share due to canines.]

        Good  Inn - 4 CC/5 BB ]

        Player      Day          Expense
      Balrog       18 / 19    Room -  2 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 1]
      Kasha        18 / 19    Room -  2 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 1]
      Caladan      18 / 19    Room -  2 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 1]
      Xian         18 / 19    Room -  2 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 1]
      Farseeker    18 / 19    Room -  3 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 2]
      Strie'bog    18 / 19    Room - Sing    Food - Sing  [Room 2]
      Trembyl      18 / 19    Room -  3 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 2]
      Balrog       18 / 19    Room -  3 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 2]
      Unali        18 / 19    Room -  2 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 3]
      Z'leyra      18 / 19    Room -  2 CC   Food - 1 CC] [Room 3]
      Thig         18 / 19    Room -  4 CC   Food - 2 CC] [Room 3]
      Jordi        18 / 19    Camp outside / Eat 2 Travel Ration
      Ben'dar      18 / 19    Camp outside / Eat 2 Travel Ration

      [Other Expenses - ]

      Travel Ration -  1 BB per day

      Merchant Ship - 2 CC per 10 miles
      Barge Ship    - 1 CC per 10 miles
      Shipping Cargo- 3 SC per animal
      Extra Cargo   - 1 BB per 10 pounds of gear extra
      Ships' Meal   - 1 CC - 2 FP

      It is 120 miles via Merchant ship from Cholchara to Asichi.
      It is 280 miles up river.  Thus per person this likely
      will mean:

      Expenses - Merchant Ship -  24 CC
                 River Barge   -  28 CC
                 Horse Cost    -   3 SC per
                 Extra Charges -   ? Depends on your personal gear

      Trip itself is cheap.  The horses is where the bite comes in.

      [Caladan is dismayed at the prices of the ships for the horses.
       He wonders if the trip can be made.]

      GM: Those who can afford the costs and have already paid it
        including food for 2 months are as follows:
        Caladan, Balrog, Farseeker, Xian, Trembyl, Kasha and Thig.

        Jordi, Chion, Unali, Z'leyra - Being players you guys can
        afford the roughly 10 SC for the above costs and food for
        2 months.  Let me know if its ok to deduct the amount (
        it may vary depending on your food requirements).  But
        shouldn't be more than 1 GC.  This includes the costly
        horse cargo and food for 60 days.  I figure 30 there and
        30 back to Marentia.  If you need more or less let me know.
        Otherwise please just acknoledge its ok and I'll go ahead
        and do it.

        Unfournately Ben'dar and Strie'bog being our two newest
        members can't afford it. However...

        Caladan sees Ben'dar can't afford the costs.  Being a horse
        rider of the plains and a fellow brother of the plains Caladan
        knows coins may mean little to Ben'dar...

        Caladan: "Ben'dar.  I may need your expertise of the plains
          above all others on this trip.  Being a fellow Zen'da you
          know more about the plains of the central region we may
          need.  Therefore I will pay for your horse and any food."

        Caladan pays the 9 SC and 2 CC for Ben'dar's travel costs
        and food for 60 days.  Ben'dar if you need other gear let
        me know.

                                -----------
        [Xian notices Strie'bog is not holding a heavy coin bag.
         He wishes to join the party to help Caladan but Xian
         knows he can't afford it.  Xian was once in the same boat
         with just 2 Copper to his name.  He knows how it was years
         ago to get started.  Being on clima and getting some loot
         helped him settle for a good long time.  Xian knows he
         can afford it.  Without a second thought he pulls out his
         coin bag.]
        Xian: "Strie'bog.  This is NOT a loan.  I will pay for your
          travel costs and food for the trip ahead.  You remind me
          a lot of myself so long ago.  I can see a good future for
          you once you get going.  Do not beholden to me as I'm lucky
          enough to be able to afford it.  I only seek companionship
          and some good songs on the way in return."
        [Xian will pay the 9 SC for the charges for Strie'bog and
         get 1 Copper back in change.]

        GM: This leaves the following and I'll list the charges:
            Player         Costs
           Jordi    -    8 SC 5 CC  - 50 FP Rations
           Chion    -    8 SC       - You use spells for food
           Unali    -    8 SC 8 CC  - 80 FP Rations
           Z'leyra  -    8 SC       - Have food
         If these are acceptable just say its ok then I'll correct
         character sheets.  If you want any other gear let me know
         you can buy it in Asichi or Cholchara.

        GM: If this was table game we'd do daily stuff like hunting
          and such but Rations are much easier in a PBEM world to
          speed things up.  They may be bad food but its faster.
          Course I may throw in some hunting every once in awhile
          like Ben'dar has requested to spice things up.

        GM: All right at this point I need info from you guys.
          Give me actions and spells for the next 22 days.
          If you want you can do 10 days.  There may be events
          and other things before then so you can do 10 and
          we can cover the next 10 at that point.  If you wish
          to continue your already planned actions let me know.
          Being on a ship though you can't proctice horsemanship.
          So you'll need a new skill to practice until the last
          part (last week or so) when riding will be involved.
          Thanks.  Once I get actions from everyone we'll continue
          with the trip.

        - Already have partial actions from Strie'bog
        - Already have some actions / Expenses from Z'leyra
        - Have expenses for Unali [Ammo/Clothing]

     Actions?  Comments?
     Next update Friday...

     Sorry for delay.  My dog hate my update?  No?  Not a good
     excuse.  Well this and that.  Mostly that.  Here in florida
     we've had 11 days of continous storms.  Not too unusual for
     florida (reocrd is 15 days in a row back in 2001).  But the level
     of storms has been heavy enough I've stayed off computer due to
     it.  If you know florida we are (were) the lightning capital of
     the globe (I think india won last year).  On average 3000 strikes
     can hit in just one storm.  So the storms have delayed the update.
     I've worked on it over about 3 days now.  So hope I didn't forget
     anything.  Course I also delayed due to holiday and others being
     out of town :)

Happy birthday to us in america :)

Fringe BBS - EWOG II - 904-733-1721
Telegard / Allfix Beta Site