[pnpgm] Logistics pre update

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Wed Sep 7 07:33:03 CEST 2022

So I wanted to get this post out before update.  Since this could be
a TPK (total party kill) if things go bad.  So I wanted to inform as
much as i can to make wise decisions.  Also to give me notes for my
own book keeping.

Terrain:
   North - Behind party. up to 1.5 miles away
   East  - Left of party - Rolling Hills, Mountains couple miles out
- 20-30 degree hill incline
   West  - Right of party, 20 degree decline leading to cliff
overlooking forest valley below
   South - Facing party, Forest, small unforested area few hundred
feet on west side of no forest.

   North -  8,920  feet
   East  - ~  100+ feet from party to left Mountains - 2 miles out
   West  - ~2,000+ feet from party
   South -  8,900  feet from party generally in most places

Pre-plans:
   1) Varen says fleet to north forest leaving camp mostl in tact
   2) Rocky - champion fight of honor

   No other plans so far

Questions from update:
   1) High Ground - Party is on a level plain with bushes and not
much trees that cold cover party.  Camp has a few small trees but are
not redwood caliber so thin trees.  A half dozen mid chest level
bushes.  Forest has the decent trees that can be as high as 80-100
feet tall.  So not much high ground there but alot of cover in
forest. Hills can give some high ground but less cover as its mostly
sage brush and bushes. So the tusks would be required to climb the
hills if used it.

    2) Light - Aside form night visions like from Rocky, good thing
there is a full moon.  Campfire gives light maybe 30 feet around
campfire.  Then normal visibility fades as distance goes but moon
does help.  Group can see the horde of tusks riders but not great
detail like armor or weapons used. There are 70-80 estimated.  No
torches are being carried so the rumor they have night vision must be true.

    3) Spears/pikes0- There is some material to make spears but its a
factor of time.  See below for that.  Since camp was made only 2
hours before this everyone has full armor still on.  There is plenty
of gathered tree limbs and material. But do you have time?  A couple
characters do have spears, lances and pikes if that matters.

    4) Hints were made on traps or caltrops.  Sadly no one has
caltrops.  Tent stakes could sorta be made t o that purpose.  Many
have fish hooks but ineffective vs tusks hooves probably. There is
rope but even if you use a rope trap it may be too weak for
tusks.  If had time a trench might be useful but might be spotted doing so.

    5) Champion fight - might be good to plan on if no fight is done
or even if he doesn't win?

Comments:
   1) Skills - I've checked all sheets and scanned for stuff that
maybe useful.  Animal lore and Battle might be. Or even Lore.  Most
of every culture knows of tusk riders.  In D&D they might be called
goblins or trolls for their infamy. I did not see much other skills useful.

    2) Spells -  From what I've seen most do not have large area
effect spells.  RQ is not like pnp in that regard.  When I do math
below keep in mind spells are at 80 meters or 240 feet.  There are a
couple spells that might help in pre battle but will not mention as
it is up to you to figure out. :) Even if have rune magic that's only
twice the distance.  Most spells are long term but many are not the
duration will inform you of that.  Keep in mind you store spells in
head using Int so ma not be able to use 30 spells at once.  But most
will have no issue doing a few at any one time.

    3) Horses - There is 1 war horse and others are riding
horses.  Everyone has horses but Rocky and Varen who is scared of the
beasts.  If you decide to vote on fleeing then at least Rocky/Varen
would have to be carried on another horse.  If you flee the tents and
other stuff may be at risk unless hte math below is enough to break
camp?  If the tusks do stampede any gear on ground may be damaged
keep this in mind as well - it'd be a pure random roll.

Math -

    Man  - Moves  8m or 24 feet per round / 12 seconds
    Horse- Moves 12m or 36 feet per round
    Rider- Moves  4m or 12 feet so half of human
    Tusks- Moves  6m or 18 feet or half as fast a horse

   So Flee option:
It will take   99 min for tusks to get to camp - if my math is
correct if not let me know.  So 99 min to get to camp.

To fleet as is now 50 min to get to fores.

Bows - Range 300 so would have to wait till in short range - So if
stood ground would have 16-17 rounds of fire.  Before melee.
Spells- Spells about 13 rounds below melee range if at full range.

   If Champion fight option unless Rocky moves out tusks would be
within 1-3 rounds of melee.  Even if he went out say 100 feet they
would be 5 or so rounds away.

Final comments:
   This could be bad if all 80 were to charge.  But it seems that
only 20-25 are breaking from the group to come this way the others
may be family/young.  So it may be only a small group to fight if
battle ensues.  Could others charge to avenge? I have no idea it'd be
a pure random dice roll.  If so it'd be 60 to party if they
survived.  Firing on tusks while moon helps there will be a slight
mod for fine tuning shots based on distance so low mod to dice at
close range than at max.  I hope above gives enough data to further
work on details. If you have questions ask.  If no other votes or
ideas come in will do the Champion fight option.

That should be all i wanted to say...

Since out Wednesday I'll move on Monday.  I'm off Monday so will do
update then.  So this gives you a few days to make any changes to
orders if you want.  If not we'll go with Champion fight and that
means Tusks will get within a short distance.  Then we'll see what happens.