[pnpgm] Game Update #26 - File #142 - A break in the silence

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Fri May 27 21:09:34 CEST 2022

Sex.....Character Name...Player..................Type....Notes.....
Male...Klorgar..........Tobie.Bonahoom...Tracker...Human,..........
Female.Varo Mineholder..Bess.Hadley......Merchant..Human...........
Male...Razgor...........Wout.Broere......Guard.....Human...........
Male...Rocky............Alex.Koponen.....Hunter....Dwarf...........
Male...Mournath.........Gilbert.Isla...............................
Male...Veren.Nor.Tarek..Npc..............Employer..Human...........
Male...Jaren............Npc..............Bodyguard.Human...........
Male...Marusk...........Npc..............Guide.....Human...........
Male...Juno.Solace......Ford.............Tracker...Human...........

         Game Web Site – http:/nrgcomputers.com/RQ/rq.htm (case matters)
         Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

         Game Update #26 sequence (file #142)

         Admin: None.

            From Rocky: [Re: Actions]
                 Rocky makes sure to recover his
arbalest. He will help deal with dealing with the
bodies in an appropriate manner...burial or cremation or whatever.
            GM: Ack.

            From Juno: [Re: Actions]
                 Juno mutters a silent prayer to understand his place in all

            GM: Ack. Good stuff.  See you can
make a non post a real post.  Just that tid bit
of role playing is far more valuable to me than a
one liner. I appreciate and its noted.

            From Varo: [Re: Actions]
                 Varo spends far time than she
had expected to trying to find the

            GM: Ack. Love you/juno role
playing.  That's how to fill a scene it is noted for future rewards.

            From Varo: [Re: Actions]
                 Actually, my inventory sheet
shows Varo still has 37 arrows, unless I missed
that last exchange? (I recorded using 8 with the trolls & 37 left.)

                 And YAY! The website was working
today & I could see update 25 :D
            GM: Ack. You were not one of the 2
who had ghost arrows. You are fine.

            From Juno: [Re: Loot]
                 Juno wonders if he can have the elven talisman?
            GM: Ack. Sure! Done.  I was wondering
if folks were gonna remember that stuff.  I'll get with ya later on details.

         [Windsday, Fertility week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

         [Time: 11:03 am]

            Juno mutters a silent prayer to
understand his place in all this violence his god
can be violent and values the efforts of the
people to fight when needed but this not the best
outcome for those trolls. I hope he is judged soundly.

            His father used to say, “Fighting is
the actions of the desperate even a evil man can be reasoned with.”

            Juno votes to stay the night.

            He also meditates for an hour before
bed to claim as much power back as possible and
hopefully more with some good sleep.

            He ask Varo. “Do you meditate to reclaim power?”

            He also says a prayer for our little party,

            “May we all be judged honorable
because today we saved lives by taking other
lives who were misguided. I believe we were noble
in our actions today and I wait on you blessings
to give us favor as we journey onward.”

            “Next time god can you just let Rocky arm wrestle any trolls ?”

            He will ask around town if there are any arrows and a quiver.

            He has a dream that night that his
lips are purple. He wonders if this will help him find a wife.

            Those in the village say they have a
couple tattered quivers and very used
arrows.  Since there are no fletchers or bowyers
around what they use is recycled. A very limited
supply.  Since nearest city may be a week or more
away.  The best supply is with the hunting party
the kids mentioned off in the wilderness.

            Varo spends far time than she had
expected to trying to find the few arrows that
might be retrievable – she had  found arrows in
the past that landed in the grass & had buried
themselves amongst the tangled stems & leaves of
thick mats of grass to be almost invisible – only
feather shafts might be slightly visible in
situations like that. She still had a lot of
arrows, a couple dozen of them, thanks to
stocking up before they left. She felt
comfortable with lending some out to her
companions if there's a need, but she also admits
to herself that she disliked a quiver more empty
than full. She loved the trading life, but her
thoughts could easily find themselves worrying
over nitpicky details about self-protection in
the wilds along those trading roads. this was
already a different situation she had signed up
for, & although she was enjoying it, there was a
long way to go, & she had no idea when they might
reach a town & be able to restock supplies. Her
arrows had to last, if possible, since she was
more skilled with them than her rapier.

            While searching for her arrows – most
of which seemed irretrievable due to the heavy
armor of the trolls (even the points were showing
breaks), she looks over the trolls' armor for a
metal belt buckle or button or badge that she
might keep – something small enough not to become
a burden to carry & might even be useful for her
own gear. She stands up straight to ease her back
& gazes around at the group & the children as
they decide who is going where to inform the
village & to find the missing hunting party with their parents.

            Varo does find a boot buckle that can
be taken and cut off.  She finds the hunting
party not lost but just away on a hunting trip.

            Varo votes to stay the night when
asked – she still thinks one of her arrows, at
least, is hidden in the grass to the north of the
house from a wild shot & she wants time to look
around up there - & also to look for any troll
signs in that area which had not really been
searched. As she listens to conversations, she
feels there are unfinished details about this
attack & the group may be needed to help ask & answer questions.

            Plus – she needs a break to commune
with the Earth Mother. Battle brings imbalance.

            Varo walks about the northern edges
of the house's general area for several minutes,
looking for sign, then takes a short break while
along the northern wall of the cabin. She sits
cross-legged & clasps within her hands a symbol
of the Earth Mother that she wears on a thong
about her neck under her tunic. She closes her
eyes, listening to returning bird sounds &
gradually quiets her mind & her feelings & lets
her thoughts drift outward – seeking healing
energy from the earth upon which she rests &
releasing those thoughts & tensions upward into
the wind, mentally feeling a circle of life
energy encircling her, flowing upward from her
center & pouring up & out in all directions like
a fountain, and falling gently to the Mother's
earth around her, sinking deep into its roots
before gathering together under her body &
beginning to fountain up again through her very
body, so that she feels like a fountain created
by her life energy, enriched by the foundation of
the Earth Mother herself. After several minutes,
she opens her eyes refreshed & energized.

            But her breathing is fast and her
head feels euphoria.  In her meditation a strange
thing happened.  She has heard of it a few times
in the cult but this may be the first conscious
time. As she sat concentrating the birds around
her and the wind seemed to slow or stop.  The
bright sun and heat of its rays seem to transform
into magical energy.  Suddenly she felt she was
there sitting cross legged then she was a 100
yards away to the left then right.  Then 30 feet
soaring over the forest. Is this a out of body
moment?  Has her body let her spirit roam
freely?  Is this some answer b the earth mother?
The experience is magical, overwhelming, glorious
and scary.  Then what seems like a lifetime she
returns to her body and opens her eyes as she
hears her fellow travelers laugh and the birds
return.  What was that? She stares at a white
dove on a tree some distance away trying to feel
it again but the memory and sensation seem to quickly fade.

            She opens her eyes to see Juno
sitting nearby, apparently starting a meditation
of his own. He asks her whether she meditates to
reclaim power. She is a bit surprised –
power??  She thinks for a few moments, but
answers with the words that come to her with the
question. "I do feel restored after meditation
but it isn't really about restoring power. I
meditate to restore Balance. Balance is of utmost
importance to the Earth Mother, and battle – or
even avoiding battle – disturbs the balance. It
is necessary  to act in Life – either in taking
action or avoiding it – but after the decision is
made & its consequences, it is necessary to again
restore the Balance, so that Life can go on at it
is meant to in the great Circle of Life. I guess
having Balance does give me power, but I never
thought of it that way. I am aware of power loss
when I use my gifts from the Mother, but I'm as
much aware of the disturbance in my own balance –
adrenalin fueling actions & tending to drown thinking before acting further.

            “You've given me something to think
about, Juno. Balance being Power? – I guess I'm
still learning to know what the Earth Mother provides with her gifts to us.”

            Varo grins with a bit of self-irony,
then smiles at Juno as she gathers her items
laying beside her, and resumes searching for the
blasted arrow hiding in the grass –  she had made
it & wanted at least the head of it back. “Be
well and strong within your powers, Juno & may
your god bless you with wisdom and strength.”

                                 ---------------

         [Windsday, Fertility week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

         [Time: Afternoon/evening]

            As the party makes camp they are
aware of leaving a mess on this property is bad
so take measures to use the campfire the trolls
used so not to make new scars on the
ground.  Some with farming skills try to repair
the garden but it will take time.  While the kids
will stay in the cabin the others will stay
outside. There is no inn in this very small
village so tents are setup around the north cabin
area.  Clean up is done around the cabin and
inside.  But the blood will always be there
inside in some form.  The boards can be replaced later.

            The village feeling guilty for not
helping or hospitable serve dinner what they can
at least spare.  Since the hunters are off
collecting game the meat supply is very
limited.  Some squirrel and rabbit is about
it.  Eggs and greens that were secretly hidden in
underground root cellars – unseen by the trolls – are given.

            The kids gather around hearing
stories of far off cities or battles they'll
never see.  Some ask about the elf and learn he
was a friendly sort that hunt very well but was a
artist and sculptor.  As the evening grows long the kids are taken to bed.

            Watches are set but nothing happens
that night.  Veren asks about the purple powder
at great depths.  He insists to see the tube and
examines it for hours but it is empty with faint
traces of the powder.  Some notice his curiosity
is a bit strong on this particular subject.

            When talk of the trolls are given
Marusks speaks up.  “Trolls have been on the
fringes of society for a long time.  Only
recently have they tried to become civilized
joining cults and forming cults of their
own.  Some who have joined the human militia have
been worthy fighters. From what we learned here
these trolls seemed to be loners.  Though a large
group. Most are 4-5 at most.  They were probably
opportunists.  Saw a weak defenseless village and
sought the spoils of war.  Suspect they took the
girl as hostage rather than any thing else.  I
fought with a troll merc once at the battle of 3
Head Hill and he was very honorable.  So I
suspect this attack was just a rare one.  I doubt
others will be around.  From what some believe
the trolls are in the mountains to the NE which
is at least a weeks travel away.”

                         ---------

         [Fireday, Fertility week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

            By dinner the night before most are
healed by their magical power energy. Juno takes
a bit longer healed by the morning.  Rocky waits
to find his wound healed and at 100%  Jaren heals
a bit but still has a wound he dresses with first
aid waving off healing spells for now.  He
believes a wound builds spirit and vigor as one learns to do better next time.

            Jaren leans down and places a silver
pint that is in shape of a star and pins it on
the boys shirt.  “Never give up.  Never give
in.  When in doubt seek the stars and help will
come.”  The boy nods and grins.  But even as it
seems cryptic he seems to understand.  Later when
asked Jaren explains it was part of his merc company motto.

            The group leaves the village after
cleaning the best they can.  The village gives
some fresh eggs and veggies.  Along with dried
meat for lunch.  The party makes good time as the
forest is good travel with little obstacles.

                         ---------

         [Windsday, Fertility week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

         [Time: 7:19 pm]

            Last couple days no encounters which
allows good travel. The group notice more and
more that Veren and Jaren are whispering as if
figuring out things. Around the campfire Marusk
breaks the crackle of the campfire silence.

            “Master Veren.  I wanted to ask about
recent events to ensure it is clear. So you were
kicked out of your home by a foul group.  How large?”

            Veren shrugs, “at least three dozen
but hard to tell.  I had house staff and maybe 3
to help defend the home.  Some of the staff fled
but I barely managed to escape.”

            Marusk nods, “So you traveled what
300 miles south on foot to the small town where
you found us?  Wouldn't there have been nearby
villages? How did you survive alone?”

            Veren waves a hand, “I did get and
hire some villagers.  But they only wanted to
escort me south.  Were not willing to fight for
me.  They used a wagon and some brave
escorts.  Since I rode in wagon it was actually
far quicker than this group is.”

            Marusk adds, “but you were apparently attacked near the town?”

            “Yes.  A group of Sartar bandits
routed the escorts and they fled.  I barely
escaped but was chased.  I somehow lost my
footing and fell down a hill and knocked out for
half a day.  I ventured into town but had
...memory issues. Some things have not come back to me yet.”

            Marusk nods, “I see.”

            Just before he goes to bed Jaren
figures he'll be fully healed by morning.

                         -----------

         [Wildday, Fertility week, Storm Season, 1625, Genertela, Glorantha]

         [Time: 5:25 am]

            The morning dew brings in a light
cool breeze as the forest is low key except for
frogs, insects and occasional owls.  The cool
breeze prickles the skin but is not freezing and
is slightly refreshing.  The campfire by now is
dim as with only a hour or so before sunrise
there is no real need to to add wood to make it
larger.  So the campfire is a faint few flickers
and bright orange and red coals. As a result the
light is dim only about 8 feet around fire is
clear maybe another 4-5 feet it fades quickly.

            Klorgar is the patrol sentry south
west of camp edge about 9 feet form nearest tent
moving clock wise so moving north west.  Mournath
is second sentry and only a couple feet from the campfire, north of fire.

            The morning fog seems to roll in
ghostly patterns.  It is not thick but one can
see maybe 30 feet with good light.

            Suddenly the silence is broken with
zips of arrows flying from someplace. It seems to
be 3 arrows.  One hits the ground near Klorgar
but another hits him in the right leg doing 3 points.

            The third arrow flies toward Mournath
but impacts to his left near the campfire.

         GM: Actions? Comments?

             Next Update: Don't know to be honest soon

         GM: So we did 3 days.  For those listed
in tent you are that else on bedroll except for
Mournath and Klorgar.  Will assume both sentries
are full gear and armor.  I randomly roll for
sentries and last shift sentries – Juno and
Razgar. That shift would've ended 4am. If you
wanted to hit sack in armor only knowing sunrise
is 2 hours out I'm fine with that for those 2 old
sentries.  Otherwise will assume all have no
armor on but have access to full gear.  Trees are
put on map for reference there are many more
outside sphere I listed. I mainly covered a few hexes around campfire.

                 Sorry for delay yet again.  So
here is the situation.  I am no longer young and
life is harder now.  After 20 years body/eyes and
other issue make me slower.  But the biggest
issue is staff.  I have a very limited time
window suually on my days off tue/wed.  Tue I may
only have 8 hours if that if on a good day.  Wed
I may have 6.  Otherwise I'm working till 230 at
would only have maybe 2 hours thur and a few
hours every other day.  This update took 12
hours.  If I had started on time and in good
window it'd be only 8 hours  But the effort is
starting to degrade the benefits.  I'm losing
most ofall of my days off.  I planned for these
update times like 10-6 on Tuesday for
example.  But if staff is not up until 2pm bam I
lose 4 hours.  I'm startin gto sacrifice too much
like free time for the game.  I would 100% be
motivatedif had help from staff.  But with staff
not here I'm less motivated an dwill do other
stuff.  Last 12 weeks I've tried to plan this way
but each week it fails.  I've not had time to do
a game (d3) in 3 months I've not evne coded fun
stuff in 2 years.  Just have no time after the
update.  Don't get me wrong I love the game it
helps with stress and such but its far harder and
the effort is ot there for support.  So with that
said I've given up on trying for that
support.  So I'll do the updates when I can in
the few hours hwen staff is ready.  Sadly this
will result in a week or more delay instead of 8
hours or so.  So I wanted ot warn you that stuff
will be delayed as it has been last few
months.  For that I'm sorry but its ou tof my
control. But I figure I owe you to let you
know.  So for next update I'd plan on Wed.  But
that window is 10-3 and staff will nto be on till
2.  So chances are delayed.  I just need to
settle and do what I can and allow myself free
time as well. So for now game continues!!

         GM: 130 Miles out – personal note for me.  To be updated.

                 Damage:
                    Jaren: 2 to abdomen
         GM: Map
             1 Hex = 10 feet

          1         2         3         4         5
123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   A  ** [K26]- Campfire
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
\__ B     Light      - 8' around
/  \__/  \__/  \__/
@\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   C     Dim 10-20% - 9-12' out
\__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/  \__@  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ D
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/@@\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   E   V- [J23] - Varo in tent
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/
@\_@@  \__/  \__/  \__ F   J- [L23] – Jaren [in tent]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/@
\@_/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   G   J- pL23] – Varen [in tent]
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__@  \__/  \__/  \__/
\__ H   M- [M31] – Marusk [in tent]
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/R \__/@
\__/  \__/  \__/   I   R- [I26] – Rocky/Bedroll
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/V \_N/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ J   U- [M26] – Juno/Bedroll
/  \__/  \__/  \__/
@\__/**\__M  \__/  \__/  \__/   K   N- [J27] – Mounath sentry
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/J
\__/HH\__/  \__/  \__/  \__ L   K- [M22] – Klorgar/Sentry
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  K_@/U \HH/  \__/  \__/  \__/   M
\__/  \__/  \__/  \@_/  \__/@ \_@/  \__/  \__/  \__ N   @- Trees
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/   O      as tall as 80-100'
\__/  \__/  \__/  \_@/@@\__@@ \__/  \__/  \__/  \__ P      5-15/ in diameter
/  \__/  \__/  \__/ @\__/  \__/@@\__/  \__/  \__/   Q
@\__/  \__/  \__/  \__ R   HH- Horses tied to bush.

Website updated if need ot see a good map view