[pnpgm] Game Update #-23 - File #13 - Rules...

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Thu Sep 16 07:55:00 CEST 2021

[Repost of Current update]

Sex.....Character Name...Player..................Type....Notes.....
........................Tobie.Bonahoom.............................
........................Bess.Hadley................................
........................Wout.Broere................................
........................Gerald.Ford................................
........................Alex.Koponen...............................
........................Gilbert.Isla...............................

	Game Web Site – http:/nrgcomputers.com/RQ/rq.htm (case matters)
	Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

	Game Update #-23 sequence (file #13)

	Admin: Removed Panthera  for now.  Rules post.

	   From Panthera/Pyan: [Re: Actions]
		Hello everyone.
		I'm afraid I'm not going to be able to take
part in the RQ game.  It's been too stressful
trying to learn the new system and deal with
everything else in my life right now.
		It's 'the straw the broke the camel's back' if you will.
		I finally got the order for the CPAP machine to
treat my sleep apnea that should take 2 months
for it starts to take effect and really help.
		Hopefully, by the time the RQ game is over,
I'll be in a better position and be able to join the game after it.
		Best of luck to all of you,
Alta(AKA Pyan)
	   GM: Ack.  Understood. Goof luck – Health is
more important than game.  You are free to join later.

	   Normally I keep updates story based.  For
purposes of this post and the Combat Demo update
will be more with GM notes embedded.
	   In a way this is confirmation that after 30
years I still understand the rules myself. So its
not only for you but for myself.  This is no
particular order. Feel free to comment or ask
questions.  I never intended for you guys to
learn every rule detail just a basic subset of characters.

	   * Defense – Say you have a Defense 20%.  You
can use this against multiple targets. So 2
targets would use 10% each.  A minimum of 5% is
required.  So an attacker has 40 and 35%.  Thus
his roll is 40-10=30% and 35-10=25% on d100.  I
will assume 1 target unless you state otherwise.

	   * Time: A week is a bit odd. Most use of the
week is for mechanics on training or other
factors.  But since game may be at most 2 weeks I
figure I'll do 1 day = 1 week in that regard.  1
Turn = 5 min or 25 Melee rounds.  This is why the
Strike Rank uses 12 in a way as a good number of
divider.  1 Round = 12 seconds.  So keep this in
mind for speeches.  In 12 seconds one could do
fast order or “surrender now or suffer the might
of my Light Sword and bow to the god of Orlanth!”
To me that's about 7-9 seconds talking.

	   * Movement – Walk – Typically at 10 hours a
day can do about 20 KM a day. Ride/Walk – 20
KM  day. Humans do 8 units a round or 3 m or 10
feet each.  So 80 feet per round.  Movement does
take away from strike rank use  So consider this when you do combat.

	   * Encumberance – Each item has a figure to be
honest this is a bit of a stretch at
times.  There is supposedly a set KG=1 item.  But
as the RQ versions change so does this.  I
emailed each of you if you have issues.  Some
solved this with horses.  But you will need to
let me know what you carry on horse and on
person.  Since we (some) do have horses I'm
leaning to a “loose” use of this rule. So
basically one takes STR+CON/2 is what one can
carry and max of STR is the #.  So STR 12, Con 10
can carry 11 with ease and max of 12.  IF ENC -1
to Movement, -5% to Defense, +1 to all Strike
Ranks, -5% of all skills per point over ENC.  Max
ENC technically 1.5 x STR but another part says just STR.
   Max Enc - 1.5 x STR

	   * Melee Round – Like pnp 4 segments or
phases.  1. Intention- Statement of Intent.  For
a pbem this is less critical.  But need to be
specific.  If you attack or parry you need to say
so.  If you cast spell then attack say so.  2.
Movement of Non Engaged pcs – If one has not
moved 50% of their movement one can do other
feats or actions.  3. Spell, Missile/Melee
resolution.  Success (+), Fail (-).  If
Attacker+/Defender- - Defender takes damage.  If
Attack+/Defender+ then weapon/shield is
affected.  If Attack-/Defender+ and Defender
parries attacker weapon is affected.  Each attack
is done in Strike Rank order lowest to highest
(1-12).  if strike rank equal DEX is used to see
who is faster.  Phase 4- bookkeeping This is my
main thing for making notes on experience and
such.  A attack roll of 96-00 is always a miss.

	   * Strike Rank – As stated earlier each item
or spell has a SR.  So I check 1 to 12. So if
Player A has a SR of 4 and B 8 the 4 attacks
first.  To 'prepare' or change a weapon costs 5
SRs.  So Player A at 4 wants to switch dagger to
sword would be now at 9 but could not do so.  So
would attack after B now. So intent is part of
process if you hold a weapon I'll assume its
still in main hand.  To move 3 meters is +1
SR.  Later RQs use Rune and Spirit magic to start
early SR 1 or 2. But RQ2 is more loose.  I listed
on sheet your spell SRS based on Dex.  For magic
a hand must be free to focus.  So using a 2
handed sword to cast magic would be a change. So
Spell is sr 3 to free the hand and not use sword
or switch to dagger would be +5 or SR8 spell.

	   * Damage notes: Based on D20 hit
locations.  If take 6x to 1 spot if not healed
(healing 6) in 2 min that limb/area is
useless.  Heal 1 per game week. That's where that
'week' seems harsh.  So 1 day natural healing
seems better. Notice from my stats no healing
roll like HC in pnp.  So probably  Con x 5.  A
Critical is always 5% of skill/attack.  No armor
protects on crits so Sword Attack is 30% a Crit
would be 1.5% or 2% 1-2 on D100.  A parry Crit
means the item takes 2x damage.  Fumble is a 00
(100) if skill/action is 5-20% giving a range of
96-00 would be a fumble (00 regardless). Per 20%
its -1%.  Impale is 40% of attack so for weapons
that impale they are stuck if impaled.  So Sword
at 40% has a 16% chance of impale.  It takes
effort to remove the item.  If you parry a impale
and the ENC of item is >2 then its stuck.  If
ENC>1 can break out in 5 rounds, Otherwise not
affected.  I only give this info for knowledge as
I'd do the book keeping for you guys.

	   * Experience: Each use of a skill or stat can
earn you experience.  There is no CEP like in
pnp.  Generally a check is given to a skill once
per scenario or once per 'week'.  Since I've
decided to use 1 day as a week mechanic I will
use that.  This allows greater experience for
this pbem rather than table top session. So you
use 100-Skill/Attack% as core roll.  To this roll
you use a int bonus (if INT 13-18) +3 over
12.  IF success you earn +5%. So Joe Int 14 uses
sword 65% has a 35% chance +6 (int) or 41% to get that 5%.

	   * Split Attack: If your skill is >50% you may
split your attacks to more than 1 target.  Would
divide up attack% among targets.  A Missile Parry
has a base 20% plus parry%.  But this was tweaked
later so may not be used. Honestly its hard to parry arrows. :)

	   * Range: Thrown items like a rock is 20
feet.  Projectile Medium range is 1/2x effective
range.  Long is Medium max to 2x Effective
range.  So a bow doing 100 would have effective
100, medium to 50, long 50-200.  Slight roll
chances for ranges.  Just a FYI here.

	   * Magic- POW (your spirit) is used to fuel
magic like Mana is in pnp.  You heal POW
(regenerate) 0.25xPOW every 6 hours.  Limit – A
brain can store so much and based on INT.  So if
INT 14 can store 14 spell points (Healing 3,
Bladesharp 2, etc).  If you can't hold it all it
takes 1 point per hour to 'switch'.  I've not
confirmed if this is a issue per pc.  But this is
a loose rule for me.  Magic requires a focus like
a wand or rune (tattoo) to focus his sight /
concentration on else it takes 2 rounds to cast
that spell.  I will assume you have a wand or
some focus.  To hold in hand.  It might be good
to let me know what you use.  Runes are mostly
for Rune Magic not Battle Magic.  If you are
damaged while casting you do not lose the POW
trying to cast (unlike pnp) but must try
again.  Spell strike ranks use DEX and range 1-4
(1 best).  IF you are unready (focus not at hand
or not concentrating) +5 to spell SR.  To resist
a spell it is POW vs POW (like MDV in pnp).  If
both are equal then its 50%.  If > +5% per point
or < -5% per point.  So POW 14 (A) and POW 16
(B).  B attacks A and A resists at 70%.  A
Attacks B at 40%. Spell time – Instant – SR to
SR12 so same round.  Temporary – a set me
predetermined.  Permanent – 1 round to
permanent.  Rune and Spirit magic can affect
range and duration of things as well but that's advanced.

	   * Cult- Cults are the center of culture as
are city and clan.  Mostly cult vs cult battles
do not exist.  Even non humans like trolls can
join human cults.  This is the mythos.  So run
your pc based on your cult background.

	   * Optional Combat – RQ2 has optional combat
rules.  IF I decide to use them will advise with some notice.

	   * Character stuff follows.  In RQ everyone
has a history Each has seen rough times from
16-21 years of age.  It is assumes each person
has other duties like farming or such in this
world among adventure duties. Name – a Name leads
to reputation and is important to share discord
and name gives power.  This doesn't mean not to
keep names secret but that enemies or allies are
formed on names. Reputation – Not everyone used
this stat.  When you encounter others that person
rolls d100 to see if they know you.  Thus a 20%
Rep can affect response from the exchange (fear,
intimidation, hate, etc). Keep in mind your
country and job while role playing.  So if you
are a clan oriented culture play that.  If you
are snobbish play that.  Role playing is best this way.

	   * Attributes: STR, DEX, etc can be used often
for actions.  You must tell me such actions as I
will not just roll unless its secret. You can
earn stat points based on experience and use.

	   * Passions: RQ2 does not handle Passions,
Runes or such as do later versions.  But I will
loosely. You should put the passions and runes
into account as you role play.  This is critical
for the character.  Let's say Loyalty – Clan is
60%.  If you just do not care what happens to
your clan this is OOC as it should be 60% of your
concern.  With that said one can use passions or
runes or form runes to augment a action.  This is
done in later versions. But I can use this
system.  So lets say a dragon lands you can use
Hate – Dragons 60% to augment a hide in woods
skill.  So if you succeed you could get a bonus
to skill to hide better as you are afraid.  But
augments can backfire as if you are not
augmenting a Death Rune but you use healing a lot
that could backfire and give modifiers.  This
means a death cult member would not go around
healing and giving first aid its OOC.  So if you
want to augment let me know public or private and
I'll do so and you can can earn a experience
check on that passion or rune.  Say Sartar has
Air rune they would naturally get benefits for
Air spells like storm compared to say Earth
spells like crops or such.  You need to let me
know what you use in this area like Honor or Hate Chaos or such.

	   * Skills- Oddly RQ2 does not give much info
on skills per se.  It assumes RPG experience.  If
you do not have a skill you can use the Base
Chance plus bonus to roll on.  Say Herding is 10%
and Knowledge is 5% you use 15% even if you don't
know Herding so well.  If you do not say what
skill you are using I may not give you a check
mark for experience.  Unless it is super
obvious.  Languages – Not many pcs dealt with
this.  Tradetalk is the common language so I hope
you can understand some of it.  If not it will be difficult for you.

	GM: Actions? Comments?

	    Next Update...Saturday or next week...

	GM: That should cover the gist of RQ and how I
handle things.  Basically for you guys just role
play 95% and 5% let me know what you are
doing.  So with Pyan leaving we are at
100%.  I've not heard back on Bess if she is 100%
yet but I hope to soon.  Since its mid week I'll
do the combat update (demo) either Saturday or
next week.  As I typed the above I recall a pc
was trying to be a Rune priest. Could that player
email me?  I need to check if we finished that up
or not.  If using Rune magic or
not.  Thanks.  Still got lots to do myself as
outlined in last update.  Folks can still do IBT
as probably have a year to work on that. ;) Just
got email from Wout on his background so he's
100% So only waiting to hear from Bess.

	   If you want to see an Actual Play of RQ using
the above rules and even the info on augmenting I
mentoined above see this video!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zzW5veup40k

	   Here is another plug for Gilbert's games

https://www.twitch.tv/steamsteelmurder

	I'd love to do a voice virtual game like Gilbert
but time is sucha  major issue.  Alex in Alaska
and Wout in Europe is what 8-10 hours?  Sigh.

	   * IBT: 24 Days (format may mess up in email)

	  	  Player  		Status
		Arawn		Not supplied
		Dorhak	Not supplied
		Fremea	Not supplied
		Kiet		Not supplied
		Pyandalgor	Not supplied
		Raddok	Not supplied
		Unali		Not supplied
		Opus		Given – Not processed - #1 Queue – Started about 20% done.
		Z'leyra	Not supplied

	  	  Player  	Status
		Tobie		100% done
		Panther	About 10%?
		Bess H 	Given starting versions – About 85% done
		Wout 		Helped create – 85% done – Need gear/spells
		Gerald	98% need background
		Alex K 	Finished – Not processed - #1 in Queue
	      Gilbert 	100% done need to review sheet