[pnpgm] Tribute to Mournath.

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Sun Oct 11 03:03:00 CEST 2020

   In almost 40 40 years I so rarely have PC player deaths in
game.  In P&P I could probably could them on a few fingers.  Some say
I'm too soft.  Some do TPk and kill all.  That's not my style.  When
I kill folks its usually out of stupidity "you sure you want ot cross
that lava pit to get to the magical chalice?' "Sure my armor will
protect me."  Not quite.

     I also have bad luck with dice for pcs.  GMs can fudge #s
yes.  But as i grow as a GM I so rarely do so.  I am not afraid to
kill a pc as some suggest.  With Caladan he was resurrected at a loss
to his body.  In Game terms we have players in the game for 4-5 years
or 20+ years our time.  In some systems 4-5 years is a lifetiem and rare.

    A big factor is how active the player is.  This isn't on purpose
but has a deciding factor.  In the death of htis pc it was him or
Kiet a random 50/50 roll.  The Witch had single digit sucess so even
Kiet's MDV would've done nothing.  The dice cam eup with the sailor.

    I realize some are just busy and understand that. In the decades
since I actually wanted ot kill one player Bertram way back on
Adventure #1.  Because Greg was so relentless on his ignorance to the
rules. Back then the rules were online.  Did he read them? Aparently
not.  For almost six months the group dealt with him one summer as
players were on Clima. But again I'm lenient and tried to work with
him.  When a actual player decided ot kill him in a very clever
way.  We moved on.  I had no regret.  But all other player rips I do feel bad.

    I feel a player should enjoy the game and role play not roll
play. So developing a long term pc is great to me.

    With this said...I dedicate this Adventure #8 to Mournath.

	-----------------------------

    RIP Mournath.  Mournath was a sailor who loved the water.  He
entered the game in Advneture #7 around October 2016 4 years ago.  He
was played by Gilbert Isla.  He was a active player compared to
many.  Posting around 12 times in #7 and 20 odd times in this
adventure.  But then family and medical issues got in the way and he
had to step back.  Which I have no problem with.  On email checks I
got immediate replies so wasn't like some who faded away but never
replied.  This year with COVID things got worse.  So I understand why
not as active.  I don't blame him for that.

    Mournath entered the game in the same Shipwreck that Mae was in
as both joined the party. The sailor would help the party heroically
in the Shifter Prison.  He would become friends with Kell and Ben'dar
in a way.  Then on his Test in the Shifter prison he wished to return
to safety and he was sent back to Marentia.  This was when the first
set of RL issues started so he stepped back.

    In this adventure the salior was of great help sailing from Sivas
to VAhear dealing with monsters to pirates.  Once there the party
would find themselves trapped in a Dwarf - later to be determined a
Bes - mine.  Then to be sent as a party unknowlingly to the Eastern
LAnds and Besam itself.  As a GM of 37 years this was first time in
EL.  Party has ventured to 30 or so lands in the PL in the 4-5 years.

    Once on Besam the threat was learned.  The party would help but
again be sent without knowing to the Lower World.  Again after
decades this is my first LW game.  I wanted to experience more in
case this would be the last adventure.

    So a bit about Mournath....

    As a character he wasn't super elite like Unali so a starting
level PC.  At 27 standing 6' 3 but slim at 164 lbs he looked timid
but his combat experience was just as good as Fremea's.

    Wearing Ring and Brigandine, his main weapon was the spear and he
had a magical spear.  He used a shield as well as a longbow.  Near
his bod - ashes - his magical vambrace would be found as well as his
Tourmaline armband. No armband was not magical so would not have
helped in Witch Combat. :)  He saw how Raddok and Will were doing
journals of their travels.  He wanted to start that but alas.  One of
his most prized items was is Sextant.  An expensive and rare item in
the PL but required of all NAvigators like him.

    Skill wise he was good in Bow, Dagger and of cours espear.  As
well as his expertise as a Seaman and Navigator.  He learned how to
make Maps and navigation maps in a Marentian style.  He learned to
speak Bhamoti and Zen'dali.  Born in Marentia on Novehas, 11, 1608 TH.

    His self described description:

       Standing at 63" with a stocky build.  Mournath's dark hair is kept
       to the current fashions, close on the sides, long to the front
       with a braided rear.  His beard and mustache are close cropped
       and an amused gleam appears on his contenace more oft than not.
       His skin is deep-tanned from hours spent on the sea beneath the
       open skies.  Pale green eyes invite discourse and show and
       inquisitive nature.

    The party would know his magical items as stories were told
around the campfire.

    His magical spear was inherited when Kell died.  A magical
effective spear with cold resist and smokeless flame spell.

    His other magical item was his Vambraces willed by Kiet on Kell's
death.  It has protection vs Elder and Luck.   Too bad that Luck
didn't help in his Disintegration.

    From his travels he has collected an assortment of gems and
jewels.  A quick glance finds he has a bit over 38 gold and change.

    To show how much he helped in this advneture he has earned 444
CEP.  So he was a great bonus to party.

    Until the witches arrived.  The L'p'nth withces using Chaos
spells of darkness, dark lightning and disintegrate among others.  It
only took 1 touch for his death whihc was heroic.

     Gilbert aka Mournath I appreciate your time with us.  You have
said you wish to play which i'm so happy.  So once things settle down
for you we cna get to that.

    I just felt like posting this.

    Anyone can share their thoughts if so desire.

    Thanks for your time.

    Ashes to AShes.  In this case it fits.  As Mournath ended up
Ashes but he is now exploring the Lower World as the Wind blows him  about.
I should've done this for Kell.  We kinda did in his Funeral in game though.

I miss Mark too!