[pnpgm] Update #133, File 1001 – Raddok

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jun 21 18:01:50 CEST 2020

Raddok was a bit embarrassed about forgetting his role as Marentian-Dwarf Elder translator but is quickly back into his role as he finds himself engrossed in the challenge of trying to translate the red barbarians’ rough-spoken Dwarf Elder so that the others will know the limitations these red-skinned humans have trying to make themselves understood, in a probably newly-learned tongue, among so many strangers.

He translates as accurately as he can the strangers’ statements & any questions they ask. As he begins to understand the barbarians’ concern about what was going on, he found himself a bit more sympathetic, although he really did not understand what these strangers were doing here in the first place. He had begun to understand Tsia’s joining them as she was escaping a bad situation she had found herself stuck in – probably – but she still seemed very dangerous to him, and now they had two more strangers perhaps joining them, and both appeared to be experienced fighters.

This could be very good – or very bad if they turned out to be unreliable. He uncomfortably remembered when he was first trying to join this ‘crew,’ and how pleased he was to become a member of the party, after such a rough beginning – they could have killed him or tossed him overboard, but had given him a second chance, finding he had, maybe like Tsia, just gotten himself into a situation he had not been fully informed about, and potentially on the wrong side. He had truly tried since then to become considered a reliable member of the crew, and even maybe considered a friend with these folks he had known only for a couple of months – wow, was it only that long?

He was a bit uncomfortable with this reflection, but when Dorhak mentioned the threat of demons, Raddok suddenly felt relieved that these new folks could most certainly hold their own in a fight, as he could.

Then he remembered, and clasped his right hand to his left wrist, feeling for the bracelet he had almost forgotten he was wearing.

He quietly asks Kiet, “Remember I won this bracelet from that pirate hoard? Wasn’t it protection against Chaos? I remember that, but need a reminder on how effective it might be if we run into demons.” And he pulls back his sleeve slightly, exposing the silver, gold-chipped bracelet woven with runes for Kiet to examine again, but trying not to be obvious about it to the group.

“I think I can only depend on it once a day if I remember right. How strong a shield is it, compared to – uh, my own shield? And does it help anyone other than me?”

[reminder: MEL7/EL3/MDV10; Protection vs Chaos; duration 8 turns (96 seconds); range 15’; roll mod. +5 to the enemy (Chaos), use 1x/day]

“Also, I supposedly am resistant to mind control spells, especially telepathic spells, if that makes any difference. I can’t verify it – I was just once told so by a strange prophet-like mage. Will that help at all, Kiet?”

Raddok speaks up for the group. “Sorry, I’m willing to join you all if you decide to help out, but I have some questions that only a magic-user can answer before I know if I have anything to offer that can help us, other than my strength (he places his hand lightly upon his mace) & my knowledge of caves, tunnels, and mines.”

He also realized that these newcomers knew nothing about them either, and they all needed to know more about each other, especially if a dangerous fight was coming up.

Bess L. Hadley