[pnpgm] Updates 81-82 - Raddok

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Sat Jul 6 18:11:52 CEST 2019

Raddok stayed fairly close to Arawn during the walk to the mine, but in his other role as translator with the dwarves, he occasionally let others pass him & gruffly called out to the dwarves to keep up & be quiet in Dwarf Elder. When they reached the white rock which was to anchor their climb down to the mine, he discussed with Kiet whether just to use one rope or two, but knew his climbing rope was a bit too short for the cliff. He agreed that Kiet could go first & he, Raddok, would take the tail end. "That way," he stated, "I can make sure these prisoners are geared correctly & won't fall. We worked too hard to get them here." He thought, flicking his eyes quickly to Arawn & Dorhak. "I recommend we have the dwarves go down," he said conversationally, "separated between the guards.

"I want to keep my best rope for possible climbing around inside the mine, so let's use my regular rope to climb down, if that's all right with everyone. Kiet, do you need any spikes or ties? I'll collect what you use as I go down, in case we need them later, inside the mine. No point in leaving them here for any curious eyes." He then proceeded to order Dorhak & Barbosa to start rigging themselves for the downward climb, not wasting any manners on the two, although he gave a quick wink when his back was to Velf.

"Is anyone else familiar with how to use this gear?" he asked the general group. "If not, listen to me & I'll explain how this is going to go, and we'll keep it as simple as possible." Raddok then explains how the rope, hooks and jury-rigged rope slings worked, & recommended the order of descent, suggesting Velf be toward the lead, as he knew the cliff. He hoped to keep slings to a minimum, and that the cliff offered enough handholds to guide them all. Every sling meant cutting a bit off his rope & that meant keeping track of all the bits for later use.

Bess L. Hadley