[pnpgm] Game Update #82 - File #654 - Party arrives at Mine?

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Mon Jul 1 23:31:14 CEST 2019

    Character Name   Type       Player        Sex           Notes
..Arawn...........Druid...John.Haight........Ma..Alfar/Backup Navigator
..Dorhak..........Warrior.Kevin.Newark.......Ma..Captain/Leader/Dwarf
..Fremea..........Sidh....Tobie.Bonahoom.....Fe..Faerry/Archer/Magician
..Ix..............Shaman..Rachelle.Gauthier..Fe..Human/Shaman
..Kiet............Acrobat.David.Sanders......Me..Human/Magician
..Maelorna........Dancer..Don.Kerr...........Fe..Human/Seductress
..Mournath........Sailor..Gibert.Isla........Ma..Human/Navigator
..Pyandalgor......Hunter..Panthera...........Ma..Human/Hunter
..Raddok..........Miner...Bess Hadley........Ma..Human/Miner
..Unali...........Ninja...Wout.Broere........Fe..Human/Dagger Maiden
..Z'leyra.........Healer..Alex Koponen.......Fe..Human/Shaman/1st Mate
..Barbosa.........Warrior.Npc................Ma..Dwarf/Outcast
..Brutto..........Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #1
..Finn............Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #2
..Ardrackle.......Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #3
..Zepp............Sailor..Npc................Ma..Sailor #4
..Corona..........Eagle...Npc................Ma..Companion to Z'leyra
..Zol.Zim.........Wolf....Npc................Ma..Zehani Wolf/Ix's Friend

         Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

         Game Update #82 sequence (file #654)

            From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
                 Fremea will scout ahead.
            GM: Ack. I assume overhead and invisible?

         [Ma 3rd, 1636TH]
         [Time: 11:39 am – Ma'Dor town – Vahear]

            Unali sees the messenger boy readying
a horse. She is not sure she could get a horse in
this town without making waves and being noticed.
It is small town and she has not noticed any places to rent a horse?

            Following the messenger boy seems the
most prudent option, but hard to do.

            Then Unali sees Velf talking to the
brute. The talk she hears indicates that he might
watch the transaction going down. Unali decided
it might be best to watch the watcher, and follows the brute.

            Unali doesn't see much shops much
less a corral.  So her guess is correct that
renting a horse could be done but would be time
consuming.  She watches the messenger tack the
horse quickly and mount up.  The boy with message
in the bag with water and other supplies turns
horse around to the west and slowly moves onto
the dirt road going west. Unali wonders why if
this is a service to Port Vahear why don't they
use birds? Birds could speed it up by half probably.

            Unali then chases the brute behind
buildings.  At one point a lady notices a flicker
and looks in her back window but shrugs figuring
Unali is just a cloud. Unali watches the brute
lean against a general store side wall as the
party meets Velf and leave.  Velf turns back and nods to the brute.

            The man slowly weaves through light
foot traffic into the market with maybe a dozen
folks in the market.  The man picks up some fruit
and examines them and picks one and pays for it.
Then goes to a stall and buys some meat jerky.

            Soon the man moves to the north west,
where the horses thin out and traffic is non
existent.  He approaches a large shack and picks
the lock.  To reveal a shack full of straw
probably for horses.  He reaches to the side of
shack and pulls a dimly lit lantern from the
outside wall.  He raises it to make a larger flame and looks around.

            Unali hides behind a bush as the man
opens the lantern and sticks straw inside  to
light it up.  Within seconds a small stack is
smoldering and smoking. He drops the lantern on
the ground and locks the door shut again.

            Outside the town Velf eyes the party,
“normally there are a few guards and one or two
others.  This is a large group.  Of course
payment will have to go to you and divided up
from there.  Every party before you failed. I
hope not to be disappointed again.”

            From the sky Corona and Fremea fly
over head.  Fremea from her vantage spot sees the
tiny town above the sea on the cliffs.  It is a
tiny dot it is so small. There are only 2 roads –
one west and one south west.  The one toward west
leads to rolling hills.  The one to the south
leads for a unknown distance through a large flat
plateau of arid landscape. There are no other
towns seen at this height.  She watches the party
move south east along the cliff side.

            After another 10 minutes Velf speaks
up, “I prefer not to be followed to the mine.  It
is a ancient mine made by the gods themselves I'm
sure.  But I don't want mine companies knowing about it.”

            Back in Ma'Dor Unali watches the
brute head to a shop that has what can only be
termed a bar – 5 stools and a  bar that's it.  He
orders a drink.  Then bells ring outside.  Folks
begin rushing to a fire at the straw
storage.  Even the bar tender rushes outside
allowing the brute to take advantage of more free drinks.

            Fremea notices a trail of black smoke
from Ma'dor rise slowly up.  This is larger than
normal cooking fires.  She isn't sure if its a
town fire or something else.   Corona is alerted by Fremea and vies lower.

            Corona screeches in Eagle but Z'leyra
and Arawn understand it - “town.” They glance
back to see the smoke rise up.  Velf notices this
and turns around, “ahh a good distraction.  That
will surely draw any curious folks away from us.”

            Velf looks bored, “its not actually
far.  No need to get horses.  Plus a group of
horses would draw attention.  Back some 6.5
centuries ago after our glorious defeat against 3
Lemasan fleets.”  He spits on the ground in
disgust.  Kiet clenches his fists.  Kiet may not
understand all the words but Lemasa is a
universal word.   “We found information of a
great treasure here on the island. The Empire
seeks this treasure so we can further destroy the
low lifes like Katai and Lemasa in the
east.  Then our Empire will rule the east fully.
If this works out my work of 15 years over dusty
books and scrolls will be rewarded.”

            That's when Arawn puts things
together. This is no pirate or mine expert but a
scholar.  As his hands clearly demonstrate.

         [Time: 12:22 pm – South-East of Ma'Dor]

            For over 35 minutes the party moves
still along the cliff side.  For as far as the
party can see there are no hills.  Some are
starting to wonder if this is a trap or or hoax.

            At least twice a wagon probably a
farmer is moving toward Ma'Dor far to the west
and can only be seen by the dust on the dirt
road.  Arawn with his keen eyes also notices a
single man moving toward the north but the road
is probably 2-3 miles away to the west.

            Velf seems to ignore questions about
the mine just shrugging and saying “wait and see” or “be patient.”

            Velf takes some water from his water
skin.  Up here it is lightly cloudy and
temperatures are in low 80s.  But the sea breeze
certainly helps from the east. Velf looks around, “almost there.”

            Arawn wonders if Velf is mentally
stable.  The whole area is flat for miles around
except for and then Arawn starts to piece things together.

            Velf stops at a large white
rock.  But upon closer inspection its a cement
block with holes in it – clearly man-made.  The
party is only 20 feet from the edge of the cliff
with the noise of surf some 300 odd feet below.

            Velf raises a hand to the east toward
the sea.  “Some 3 years ago a large massive quake
hit the area.  Ma'dor now some 2.5 to 3 miles
away was destroyed. Half of its population left
for the capital.  This area here right off the
cliff was land jutting out probably 50-100
feet.  During the quake that land sunk far below
to the sea.  Look if interested.”

            Far above Fremea watches the party stop but sees no mine.

            Velf continues, “a ship happened to
notice a tree and birds entering a hole.  On
spyglass it was to believed to be a cave.”

            Velf waits a few minutes in case a
translation is needed.  Arawn realizes why there is climbing involved.

            Those who look down see a lone tree
jut out of the cliff wall showing red, white and
yellow clay.  It is maybe 50-55 feet down.  But
there is no sign of a cave due to the foliage
around the tree.  Now Arawn knows why no bindings are needed for Dorhak.

            “I hope you all can climb.  As I do
not want anyone left here to draw attention.  So
we all go down.”  He looks to the sea and watches
a  small fishing ship moving north.  “That ship
should be out of range soon.  Then we move below.
I've done this a dozen times its not a bad
climb.  Too bad we don't have one of those flying
folks to secure ropes.  But that's what the stone
is for.  Just tip ropes to anchor there.  It has
rope holes for that.  No gear will be left up
here to be seen.  Aside from the ropes.  Who is
first? I will go second.  We do this the old
fashioned away as magic may not be wise here.”

            Arawn scans the area but sees nothing
out of ordinary mana wise from normal levels.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Saturday?

         GM: A short update but 4 hours start
late Fri and 4 hours Saturday so did not get much
time as hoped.  Party is now at mine in
theory.  I know some may not know how to
climb.  But Raddok can give tips and help.  Once
lines are secure a simple scale down should be
easy.  First climber will have to clear any new
growth for easy entry if the cave is there.  I go
back to work Fri/Sat.  So will try for Sat next
update if possible if enough posts. If not will
hold off.  Fremea/Unali what do you guys
do?  Unali if follow its a bunch of open
ground.  But if Fremea can find Unali both can
get to cave if needed.  Just have to explain
presence.  Unali's stuff was via email.  Happy
4th of July for America! BTW the block could
could hold up to 3 lines but 2 might be best or even 1 the best option.

         GM: Landing party roles

                 Player          Role
             Arawn               Fomorian spokesman??
             Dorhak              Prisoner
             Fremea              Scout overhead
             Ix          Stay on ship since npc now
             Kiet                Guard
             Mae         Stay on ship since npc now
             Mournath    Chief Sailor for Arawn's ship?
             Pyan                Guard
             Raddok              Aide to Arawn?
             Unali               Trail behind for sentry
             Z'leyra             Guard (though
female guard is unusual)/Consort?
             Barbosa             Prisoner
             Sailors             Stay on ship