[pnpgm] Can I expect to be treated fairly here?

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Mon Sep 17 19:52:23 CEST 2018

Short answer:
Yes, as far as I am concerned.

Longer answer, collected ramblings from my side:

Social norms differ from country to country, as well as between
different groups. Direct or even literal forms of communication that are
not accepted by groups/people that pride themselves on being social
interactors, are completely acceptable to others. I studied engineering
and physics (and now teach at a technical university) in a field where
many students and staff are considered socially inept.

A colleague of mine was considered too direct and blunt by many of our
close colleagues, but I loved working with him, as he meant what he
said. You could count on his word, and if he didn't like something there
was no mistaking his meaning. A few years ago he moved from the
Netherlands to Sweden. After a few months he was criticized for being
too polite and not direct enough.

So, social norms on what is acceptable communication differ much more
than we often believe.

And I like direct communication, much more than the obtuse language of
the socially skilled.

Post as you like, and expect the same in return.

PS: Of course, I happen to live in a country where 'using politically
correct languag' is not the issue it seems to be in the USA.