[pnpgm] Fates are laughing

Scott Adams longshotgm at comcast.net
Thu May 10 03:55:24 CEST 2018

Again...he says? This GM is not good at all!

I'm sure that's the thoughts.

But simply ran out of itme.  Again.
I explained this long ago but since we have new folks I'll do it again.

While you guys only need 20-30 min to read the update and its done
for me its HOURS or days.

Step 1: Extract emails/posts to text files. 10-15 seconds 10-15 to
verify it worked since some extractions fail (been there done that).
So let's say 25 seconds per post? No big deal eh?  This let of posts
was 22 posts so around 11 min.  Right there half time you spend to read it.

Step 2: Said files are snet to pc #2 which has old pnp files.  I tend
put on HD.  Then step A is format said posts.
Formatting includes Removing headers, Adding post form..., Formating
text to fit proper file size for viewing in any format.
This takes 1-5 min each file.  Depending on file size.  Let's call it
2 min x 22 = 44 min.
Step B - Said files i add to my Master post directory then edit the
files.lst to denote like
   104.txt - Post from Pyan on Kiet's boots.
This file helps for my archive purposes so I can find stuff fast.
Time: 1-5 min.  Time here involves on that quick one liner summary i
have to read it without reading it to paraphrase
the entire post purpose.
Time: 44 min 1-5 (2x22 average.
Part C - Update index.htm ie actual website (my site).  Since A/B did
the hard part this is just adding 1 line per post with said one liner
subject entry.  Time: 30 sec? (30x22=11 min).

Step 3: Update website.  Copy files.  Enture case of extension is
.txt not .TXT :) common mistake.  Upload site files.
Time: 3-5 min.

We keeping tabs?  At this point on average for said 22 posts its been
about 105 minutes.  Before i even OPEN the actual update.

Step 4: Copy old update - rename to new.  Strip ot stuff for new stuff.
Copy .txt files extracted to 1 file.  Edit out special characters
(certain posts have oddball characters you guys add from your email
programs).  Copy edited file to update file.
Time: 5-10 min.

Step 5: Finally i cna start update!  First is Receap.  This is
process of movig extracted files to top recap section.  Add the 'post
from..GM lines'  Edit player sections.  (ie I do not spell check
these sections since its your posts :)).  I then add any GM comments
I may need to do.  These sections are godo to answer questions and to
show I get the posts to verify.
Now I move said IC sectons to body of update.  This is time consuming
as I have to 'figure out' where to add it
to the body of update.  Some are great to add time stamps.  If not I
have to estimate or
review old update for time stamps for where it might fit in.
I then have to format the post text into the update margins.  This takes time.
Line by line editing and formatting.
Can vary from 5 min to 1 hour per post.  Some post more than others
like Arawn compared ot Pyan. :)
For example this update first 4 posts took 4 hours.  There were 22
posts. So we could say I needed 22-23 hours?
Course its not that much but it can take a day or two.  At this point
I've spent last 2 days
doing this very step and I've only done 16 of 22 posts.  So y ou cna
see the time factor.  I then once i add to updateadd any possible
replies from npcs.  This is filler stuff.

So let's average it.  A pyan post may take 5 min.  A Arawn post may
take 90 min.  So let's say 45 min?
45x22=990 = 16 hrs? About right I believe.
We can even say 30x22=11 hours to be fair.
BTW I'm not picking on Pyan or Arawn.  Just one posts minimal (which
is FINE!) and one alot. :) Noting personal.

Now I can finally start update.
So we are at 11 hrs or 16 hrs plus 110 min let's say 2 hours to round it up.
So 13-18 hours before I can even START.

Yes I'm dead serious.

Step 5: New stuff.  !!!  I add in the stuff I need to handle and
reply/react to.  This may take 1-5 hours.  Keep in mind a combat
typically of 1 phase = 3 seconds takes 3 hours due to amount of data
I have to handle.
So let's call this 3 hours on average.

Step 5: Spell check! A file of 1k-1500 lines cna take 45-1 hour.  So
let's call it 1 hour.

Step 6: Upload said file.  HAve Alex - aka Super Proofer review.  I
then work on the Dwarf mistakes the staff makes in transcribing said
update.  Their fault not mine! 20-30 min to read.  20-30 to fix typos.
Let's call it 1 hour.

Step 7: Final upload to site and send out list emails!!!
Whew I'm done!

We keeping track?
If not its 18-23 hours for 22 posts.
So let's average it to 20 hours.

20 min for you to read 20 hours to make.

Yes.  Realistic.  :)

So when I see no posts for 3-4 days then day before update they all
flood in it backs up stuff.  Then 3-5 new posts a day after that.
Starts process all over again.

I'm NOT complaining here.  Yes.  Its work.  IT is still fun.  This is
how I've done it since 1999.
I do admit my eyes are not as good as they were then.  So in editing
stuff it does take longer.
I'd estimate 20-30% longer.  Age sucks.

I'm not saying to stop posting.  I simply wanted to explain the process.

So current update.

I've worked on it.  I estimate I've worked 13 hours.  I had hoped to
start early but staff issues.
Distractions.  RL.  I'm probably only 40-45% done with update.
My estimates ten dto be spot on.  I cna estimate exactlly down to the
minute how long it will take to do a post or update in minutes.  I'd
say my accuracy is 95%.

But if staff and other distractions don't help...What can one do?

So thisis a FYI.

So i need what 10 more hours?
I can try some of it Sat but typically only have 5 hours.
Next week I have doc visits.

So it will be out when it can be...:)

Sorry folks.  I cna only do so much....