[pnpgm] Question to all re: weapons practice & re: Update #26-27

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Thu Jul 5 14:08:15 CEST 2018

OOC: As I am new to this genre, I would like to ask everyone what a reasonable time for daily weapons practice would be. I would like to schedule two daily 1-hour practice bouts with 1) mace/shield & 2) great sword. Is this too long? Should practice sessions be 1/2 hour each (totalling 1 hour/day each)? then again, I've read that real-life battles lasted all day & men would be fighting for hours.

Please advise me, as I'm trying to have a reasonable on-board schedule for Raddok (assuming he has various partners with different weapons to practice with each time - variety is good for practice)

Also, does wearing the  magic necklace for a day grant beginning level of a language, or how many points toward that beginning level - and does re-using it level it up differently? I know die are involved, but would like to know Raddok's general skill level after wearing it for a day. He will be spending at least two hours daily practicing Marentian (during meals, chores, rest periods, etc), as well as just listening to it all the time. I don't know how many hours this adds to his skill practice (the being surrounded by it type of learning - lol).

[Apris 3rd, at sea, ~ 2 PM]

[IC] Raddok wonders if it's a good idea to wear the necklace for a day at some point to improve his Fomorian (current EL 24) which might be a smart move, if it increases the El enough to really help, and asks K'leyra her opinion. He also asks about a 2nd session with the necklace to improve his Marentian - if K'leyra thinks it would benefit him, & to schedule him for a day with it, if so.

[IC] Also, Raddok doesn't want to butt in, being one of the new people in the group, but he is very concerned about the ship's torn sail, as he was a volunteer to climb the mast & spars to help try to re-tie it, unsuccessfully. He asks K'leyra, as First Mate (after deciding that he shouldn't bother the Captain - since Raddok's not a seaman who might know what he's talking about) if the crew has shared any information with her or Captain Dorhak about backup supplies for keeping the ship in repair - he tells her he's seen the loose boards & torn sail, and been through a whirlpool (which left him very sick) & he can't swim, so he's getting worried.

He asks if she and/or Dorhak could arrange a meeting with the ship's crew & experienced seamen among their group when they arrive at their next port to decide what supplies are needed for the ship's immediate repair and for maintenance at sea. "I sincerely apologize if I seem forward, but I have a friend who's a trader, and he carries spare wheels and rims, harness, reins, boards, poles, & the hardware and tools to use them, in a special storage area below his wagon for road repairs. I laughed at him about it, and he told me that wagons never break down in a town - only when there's no help to be had, so it was only practical - and safe - to be prepared."

He tips his hat apologetically, and retreats, after again thanking her for his new knife.  He wonders if any of the others had already told her this, and hopes that the meeting is scheduled, is successful & that funds are sufficient.

[OOC - will send skills practice list when above questions on practice time answered - & thanks for any advice!!]

[OOC - I grew up with family vacations, many with two cars (one parent driving each, with two kids in each car), and road maintenance was kinda drilled into us by my Dad - lol, so...

[IC] Raddok cannot ignore seeing a torn sail & overhearing a seaman grumble about no supplies to fix it.

Bess L. Hadley