[pnpgm] for Update #26 - Raddok - Sivas to Kasha leg

Bessie Hadley eleabess at sbcglobal.net
Sun Jul 1 07:15:56 CEST 2018

[OOC: this seems like a lot of stuff here, but wasn't sure whether to fill in a couple of those days at sea in this session or not, so I did; if unnecessary, hit me over the head, - gently -  please - lol]

Marqi 24th -
(Raddok is relieved when Dorhak gives the order to cast off - waiting is hard when the brain and body are both eager for action. He offers to help, asking Z'leyra (as First Mate), what and where he might lend a hand. [He will follow her directions, whatever they are.] (Once the ship appears to be on course, and things quiet down, he looks around to find if Z'leyra might be free to answer a couple of questions, and waits until she appears free [around mid-day, I assume she'll have a few minutes?]. Raddok approaches her, touching his hat brim in respect to her on-board rank. "Excuse me, Z'leyra, but do you have just a couple of minutes - I have a couple questions about our routine on board."  (He waits until she acknowledges she can listen, either returning later if she asks, or going ahead with his questions…

[whenever he can ask them, here they are]
 "I was wondering if you will be scheduling any weapons practice - I would like to practice with both my mace and my sword, to keep my skills up & hopefully improve them. I use a shield with the mace, but the sword is two-handed. I'm willing to do two or more practice sessions every day, for as long as you deem fit for each.

"Also, I think Kiet, or somebody, said something about swimming lessons - which I know we probably can't do until at anchor, but I really need to learn. [OOC: he plans to practice this new skill daily, if possible]

"Another thing." He glances directly, if slightly cautiously, at her. (He doesn't want to annoy her) Is there a chance that you can help me learn Marentian? I was told by Kiet you might be able to craft a magical means of learning, and the more practice I can get with you folks' common language, the better. Whenever you're ready, of course - I  don't want to be pushy."

"By the way, will we be rotating the use of the hammocks? I'll stay out on deck if you wish, as long as my gear is under shelter in a cabin."
"If there's anything else you want me to be doing while we're at sea, just let me know. I can carry things or assist someone - whatever's needed."
(He waits to see if she has any answers for him, or if she'll still needs time to arrange things - either way, he is patient and as courteous as possible.)

(He has another, somewhat strange request, but suddenly backs off on mentioning it right now - he's pushed enough already, and she might think he's crazy if he suggests using his new climbing gear to get some climbing practice in, by either (or both) hooking the grapple over the side & climbing up and down the ship's sides, or hooking it up on a spar near the mast & climb up and down the mast using the grapple & rope - he's too embarrassed to mention it at this time.)

He suddenly thinks he might see such things as practice sessions posted on the wall outside the galley the next morning, and hopes he hasn't annoyed her. He hopes she'll send him off with a chore, so he can retreat with some grace. He decides to hold off mentioning climbing practice for a few days, until a routine has been established.)  [OOC: lol]

[OOC: just trying to get the skills Raddok would like to work on while on board mentioned; the schedule is up to ship's officers - he hopes to be practicing by the morning of Marqi 25th, and already have a few days' practice in both weapons (at least one session with each daily) by the time the first leg of their journey is done]

[OOC: I would assume the cooking is being done on a stove on deck, fastened onto a protective metal plate on the deck, to protect from embers] Raddok offers to Kiet to assist with cooking, even if just running for ingredients, chopping them, or keeping the fire going.

Raddok eats with the others whatever meals he can, listening to their stories, and trying to understand more words. He shares a couple funny stories of his early adventures - or misadventures, since one tale had to do with his stumbling over his own sword in the dark.

After a wet night on deck (Marqi 26th or 27th, whichever is his turn to be outside), Raddok wonders out loud how he'll ever get his blankets dry (at least it wasn't freezing) - he says he didn't realize he's used to being in his tent, but there's no room on deck for that. He gets permission in the morning to hang the blankets on the rails tying them in place, where the breeze dries them, and watches the others' blankets, too, keeping them out of the sailors' way.

[Marqi 28th - night]
Raddok defiantly states that hail is NO fun in a hammock, and covers his head with his extra blanket - he's glad he has two spares. He falls out trying to get it in place, and joins the laughter of his companions, hiding under the hammock until the hail stops, then dumps it out of the hammock, climbs back in & falls back to sleep.

[Marqi 29th]
As the port of Kasha becomes visible, Raddok asks K'leyra if someone could buy him a dagger & belt sheathe while in port, as he didn't realize until at sea how handy the things were to cutting up meat or ropes, even if he doesn't use one to fight with. He hands her 2SC to cover the cost, & asks her to tell him if it costs more. He also offers to help carry any new supplies on board in this new (to him) city.

Bess L. Hadley