[pnpgm] Game Update #136 - File #92 - Challenge Results 3

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Wed Jun 28 23:37:05 CEST 2017

          Player        DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   FH.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Al.. Ma
   ...Kevin Newark..........Dorhak............Warrior.Normal/Dwarf....Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   W3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
   W2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   ...Don.Kerr..............Maelorna..........Dancer..Normal/Human....Fe
   ...Gilbert.Isla..........Mournath..........Sailor..Normal/Human....Ma
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
      Fake-Kell/Raki........Npc...............Normal..Normal/Shaper...??
      Z'layha ..............Npc...............Normal..Normal/Shaman...Fe
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #136 sequence (file #927)

       Admin Notes: None

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Z'leyra replies to her sister's query "Yes, it was worth...

           [Febris 9th, 1635TH]
           [Time: 5:01 pm]

           [After Z'leyra's challenge]

             Z'layha and the others know nothing of Fuk or Lucria once
           events changed by the changing of history.  But she comments
           on seeing her dad and being warned if it was worth it.

             Z'leyra replies to her sister's query. "Yes, it was worth
           trying." She hugs her sister back. "I suspect that I should go
           and track down our father's notes before someone misuses them.
           But I can stay awhile."

             Z'layha wipes her tears.  "But he still died.  I remember you
           telling me when told me earlier in that lava cave.  AS to the
           notes it has been almost 2 years.  Chances of finding it are
           probably slim."

           [Arawn's Challenge]

             Arawn steps off the last step onto the landing above.  As
           he does this dissolve around him.  The dusty dark stairs become
           a bright area.  Arawn finds himself in some large cottage like
           structure.  To the left is a window that opens out into a large
           deep valley.  The green slopes lead down to a winding river far
           below some hundreds of feet from the top of the slopes and
           a few miles away from the window.

             Arawn glances back to see along hallway that seems to
           stretch on forever riddled with lit lanterns and ornate
           statues and decorations.  Clearly this place is very plush.
           It almost reminds you of a estate your mother uses every so
           often.  But it is unclear but it reminds you of home.

             The hallway ends in a L corner with another hallway
           leading also into what seems like infinity.  There are
           three windows some 20 feet from each other down this hallway.
           As Arawn turns from the window he seems himself smiling in
           the middle of  the hallway in front of the 3 doors.

             "You have already given so much of yourself."  Arawn
           waves to his own body.  "Just look at me.  I will remain
           here for eternity always a piece of you.  But for now there
           is a simple challenge that awaits."

             Arawn waves to the three doors.  With that wave the door
           brass knobs glow a slight green. "Our...your destiny can
           stop here or it can continue.  The choice is yours.  The
           first door leads to the court and home.  Where you can find
           out why you are here and remain there.  Finding such a place
           or method again in the Middle World could be problematic
           if not impossible.  Simply walk through the door.   The others
           will contend and they will still have a chance to escape.  The
           one you call Z'leyra should have the ability."

             "The second door leads simply back to the others.  Where
           you can continue your journey.  A journey that will wind
           and weave like that river below us."  He points to the window.
           "But you will not be able to return here.  So once you decide
           it will be final."

             'The third door is a library.  It contains all the wisdom
           a mortal would ever want.  The Lymrians, the Gray Elves, the
           and mysteries of the Vong to name a few.  One can read and be
           nourished in there for eternity always learning.  Never
           satisfied for more knowledge drinking in the secrets that
           would make Scholars want to kill for."

             "Once you open a door the choice is made and no other door
           will open."

             "Decide and step through.  Good luck to you."  With that
           the Guardian Ward dissolves before Arawn can ask questions.

           [**]

             Arawn allowed himself a smile as he glanced out the window,
           gazing out onto the valley below, breathing in deeply of the cool
           air wafting in from the opening. It was brief, his sense of
           wariness guiding him to be present, but a welcome respite.

             Turning, his eyes narrowed as he studied the scenery, his
           senses sharp as he searched for the unusual or dangerous. He
           continued to do so as he wandered down the hall, for the moment
           fighting the urge to actually forge his own path by moving into
           the valley or down another hall, until he came face to face
           with... himself.

             "And one wonders just what that might mean in the long-run?,"
           the  original asked his fragment-turned-construct.

             Arawn-projection shrugs. "Only time will tell won't it?"

             "Is it my destiny, or is truly 'ours'?," Arawn said alongside
           a curious eye.

             "Yours alone. I will remain here...rather back in the prison.
           If you pass the tests and leave the prison than I will remain
            dormant for a very long time. That is my destiny."  The Arawn
           projection replies.

             Arawn listens to the projection give the options on the doors
           and considers the choices.

             "Never able to return 'here'? What is 'here'? This prison?
           This ward-space and choice? Or the Upper World?"

             "Always the diver of the truth are you not? Here is the
           prison. This  house is just a projection of no reality.
           Unlike the others who may have actual places. This is in your
           mind."  The Arawn projection looks out the window as he replies.

             Arawn seems to take an eternity to decide.

             The Guardian Ward said it was a simple challenge and so it
           seemed, though Arawn did take a moment to ponder the dilemma
           lest he overlook a deeper significance.

             Of course the fact that his own essence was now fused with
           the Guardian Ward hinted at the possibility that it already, in
           a sense, knew the choice that would be taken. Oddly, a conundrum
           of a 'test' - a test tailored for Arawn, multiple options
           presented by a construct that would likely already know the
           answer, Destiny, Predestination, and Free-Will all wrapped up
           into one 'Choice'.

             He already knew that time did not exist in a linear sense,
           only the perception of it, which expanded as one grew
           spiritually. But pondering all of this here wasn't going to
           help him or the party move forward so he pushed such ruminations
           to a corner of his mind to be picked apart another day.

             Still, the choices, at a basic level, moving past such debates
           as Desires vs Sacrifice, was one of Dead Ends vs Freedom.

             The first door led to immediate answers as to why he was
           trapped in the Middle World. But the cost to receive that answer
           was to be trapped in the Upper World. A dead end.

             The third door granted his ever voracious mind the answers to
           questions upon questions. But knowledge was a resource, used to
           accomplish goals. Learning for learnings sake alone turned it
           into obsession. Trapped in the library, trapped in obsession,
           he would spend eternity accumulating a resource that would never
           be used. A dead end.

             He reached for the second door.

             The journey must continue, not only for his own growth but
           for the benefit of others, beyond even the party. He tried to
           not analyze the constructs words, that he would not be able to
           return to this prison again, trying not to wonder why and
           whether those trapped here could ever truly be saved. Perhaps
           one day he would be in a better place to understand and possibly
           address the problem and plight.

             As for the Upper World, for now it could wait. His home was
           the open road, lying far beyond the Three Realms, and he would
           not be trapped. And options would always exist - he never
           believed in impossibilities, only improbabilities, and he was
           one to ride on the waves of Fate and Chance, breaking or bending
           rules when needed that only served as guidelines.

             Arawn steps from the illusionary cottage to the dusty
           prison landing.

           [Z'layha's Challenge]

             The party continues to ascend.  Z'leyha reflects on
           what she saw of her sister's test.  Why didn't she want
           to save mother?  But it was a good try.

             As she steps on the next landing her scene changes around
           her.  She finds herself in a white space of nothing but
           white.  "Hello? Hello?"  She yells.

             Arawn-projection speaks from nearby but is not seen.
           "Your scan was a bit erratic.  We felt that maybe a
           test to save your mother may be in order.  But we also
           fear this would not be suitable.  You saw your sister
           try to save your father."

             "Yes.  She tried but it was a chance thing.  We in
           the Kameran truly believe history should not be changed.
           As to mother I would love to save her from that day.  But
           what would happen?  Tiren might've stayed alive but would
           other effects by Z'leyra's influence be worse for the world?
           So why am I here?"

             Guardian appears, "what do you truly feel now?"

             "Disappointed.  The aspect of the gods we thought
           we were giving tribute.  Are nothing but ...things."

             "That is what I figured.  So your choice is would you like
           to have your memory changed so you are not aware of all
           this when you leave here?"  Arawn asks.

             "Wipe my memory?"  She considers the choice.  "No.  I
           must remember.  That man...Kell?...he died and his
           death should be honored not forgotten.  Could I have
           something else?"

             Arawn smiles and knows that also Lucria died but
           she doesn't know this now.  "What child?"

             "A way out.  A explanation for my people.  A argument
           of words so I can justify the situation here."

             "To explain why maybe you should end the tributes? I
           could arrange some coherent words to best argue the
           points.  Yes."

             She nods, "then do it."

             A orange glow shines around her and she finds herself
           back in the prison.

           [Kell's Challenge]

             For a long while Kell floats-flies in his ghost
           form up the stairs.  He has yet to see Kiet's test and
           wonders what he'll choose.

             Then Kell finds himself in a cottage with a roaring
           fire.  He sees Arawn or likely the Guardian sitting in
           the chair drinking.  "This godeli wine you love is indeed
           very tasty."

             Kell smiles, "this place reminds me of home."

             "Because it is.  From your mind.  Sit and let's watch
           the fireplace."

             "Really? Is this a test?"

             "Just relax after all you're dead you have time."

             Arawn and Kell sit in the chair and watches the fireplace
           when it changes from orange to a window of illusion. Kell
           leans closer and sees Kiet in what looks to be a street of
           some sort.  Kiet is then offered a simple juggilng challenge.
           Kell smiles as he knows he can do such.

             "Why are we watching this?"

             "Deep down you know why."

             "The ball of me?  That means..."

             "Yes.  By simply having tossed the ball in the bowl
           of your image I would resurrect you."

             "Really?  You have that power."

             "At this point yes.  But as the party climbs the
           fortress my power and the wards power changes.  I get
           less powerful.  So this is his and your only chance."

             Kell stares as Kiet considers things and then tosses
           the balls to the crowd and refuses to play the god's
           game. Kell frowns.  "Well I can see his point."

             "Yes.  A noble thing as the fates should not be interrupted.
           That is what some believe."

             "So all he had to do was pick me first and I'd be
           back in my body?"  Arawn nods.  "Would I have been
           myself fully?"

             "No.  Magic of this sort unless done by actual gods
           has its costs.  You may be a bit weakened as Cetric
           has explained.  Pieces of yourself would be missing.

             "Makes sense.  So the Lemasa ball and party ball?"

             "What is to come for Lemasa would've been delayed
           for his lifetime.  But the fates don't like delays so
           the Fomorian plots would've continued.  As to the party
           ball?  Something like that for the party.  Something far
           more dangerous than ever seen.  But he has made his choice."

             "C'mon tell me!"

             "Do you really want to know?"

             "No. The art of the deal is not knowing the full
           details and it being a shock. So why am I here?"

             "You know what will happen when and if they escape?"

             "Yes.  I'm surprised they've not figured it out."

             "Chaos fuels confusion.  The fog of war and all that.
           Aside from a ending gift what do you want?"

             "Me?  That is hard to say.  Will Uncle Tav survive
           his illness?  No.  Don't tell me.  I know.  This ebony
           thing.  I've been reading the books from Ticasi but
           some details are fuzzy.  Before I move on...."

             'Fine.  So be it.."

             "...no way!"  Kell says as the scene changes.

             Kell finds himself back in the prison and flies toward
           Raki.  "Did you see that?"  Raki shakes his head.  "So
           you guys were not aware or saw?"  Raki shrugs.

             Raki asks, "saw what?"

             The party hears this but moves on.

           [Mournath's Challenge]

             Mournath has been quiet and confused by all these
           events.  One minute he is on a river barge and next
           he is in a alien prison?  But as he steps onto the
           next landing he finds himself again on a ship sailing
           in vary high winds fast.  He is on the deck and all alone.

             "Being the newest to this group are you happy to be
           with them?"  Arawn asks from behind.

             Mournath shrugs, "I've been paralyzed 3 times.  Almost
           killed 4 times.  Would anyone?"

             "So your challenge my friend is easy.  Would you prefer
           to be with them or elsewhere.  Anywhere else?"

             The sailor looks to Arawn and the sea all around for
           great distances that go on forever.  "I do like the
           adventure but the open sea is my thing. I would like
           to be back on a ship like this exploring."

             Arawn claps his hands, "so it will be gone."

             The party watches this quick scene as the wall fades
           to black again.  But this time Mournath does not return.

             The Guardian appears, "he has decided to be elsewhere.
           Maybe some day you will  meet paths again."  Then he
           fades again.

           [Raki's Challenge]

             Raki eases up the stairs without breaking sweat
           or exhaustion carrying Kell.  Suddenly he finds
           himself on a cliff edge over a sea at night with
           a full moon.

             Raki looks around sitting feet from a 300 foot
           drop to the sea.  "This is where I was on my last
           night in the Middle World.  Why am I here?"

             "Your scan was complex."  Arawn steps up and
           sits behind him.  "As you said your brain is far
           more complex to read.  Unlike the others you have
           lived longer than every life back there combined.
           But we did find hopes..dreams.  Do you really want
           to just die or be normal?"

             Raki shrugs looking at the dark waves below.  "It
           would ease the memories."

             "To be a normal human though?"

             "The gods felt the humans were flawed from the start.
           Especially that snake one.  But no.  Could ...no..."

             "What?"

             "This one called Kell and the others as I read their
           minds the few I did.  They have something called
           forgiveness.  Do you ...think Raki would've forgave me?
           I tried to protect him but they were too many."

             "That is hard to say.  Is it important to you?"

             "Yes...now it is."

             "What about your people?"

             "I care less of them now."

             Arawn nods as he spots a whale surface on the
           waves below. "I could do this for you.  The priests
           like Arawn can absolve you.  But you must consider
           your true feelings deeper.  I think time spent around
           the humans to learn more about you will help in this
           decision."

             "So this is a no?"

             "For now.  You know what will happen when you leave
           here so it all may be moot.  I can set things in motion
           to help you in the future.  Is this acceptable?"

             "You are so cryptic like the real one.  IF this is
           what I must do then yes."  He stares at the waves.
           "So ...why am I still here?

             "There is one thing I need of you."  Suddenly a ball
           of light forms in his right palm.  "This is what I
           need you to do..."

             The scene fades and in moments Raki walks out of
           the dark wall and picks Kell back up.  The party
           watches his so called challenge and move on.

             Soon the next three landings are uneventful.

             Then Guardian Arawn forms in front of the party.

             "Some of you have made wise and decisive choices.
           Some have been challenged beyond just cause.  This is
           the easy part of the prison.  What follows are set of
           wards like below.  A simple protection ward and zap if fail
           to kill if not dispeled. The gods felt if you got this
           far then simple power of magic and will need to
           be tested.  There are numerous simple wards.  End
           them and get to the end.  No one person should handle
           this as maybe team work is needed.  Good luck."  With
           that the guardian fades.

           Actions? Comments??

           Next Update....Saturday...

           GM: All personal challenges are over.  Now it will be
               a series of gauntlet wards to dispel.  Some plan
               should be made to decide who will do what.  But in
               order to speed things up I will not do 1 ward per
               update or that'd take weeks.  But assume there will
               be wards of all alignments.  So based on this and some
               unknown amount a good plan should be made.  It will
               be like before simple ward to end and avoid certain
               doom by the diamond zappers.  So if a good plan is
               formed we can move on.  Else I will be forced to
               post 1 ward per update and that'll take weeks if
               not a month or two more.  So let's just tsy there are
               30 wards 8 Elder, 3 Chaos, 4 Law..like that maybe
               a plan on who handles what and when could be formed
               now?  The true number is not known.