[pnpgm] Game Update #102 - File #715 - Lodge Leader Irana

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Sun Jan 15 04:03:50 CET 2017

`  HT     Player        DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   FH.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Al.. Ma
   ...Kevin Newark..........Dorhak............Warrior.Normal/Dwarf....Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   W3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
   W2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   ...Don.Kerr..............Maelorna..........Dancer..Normal/Human....Fe
   ...Gilbert.Isla..........Mournath..........Sailor..Normal/Human....Ma
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3.Fukishtu.Newsome......Npc...............Chief...Normal/Human....Ma
   R3.Lucria.Cegra..........Npc...............Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #102 sequence (file #715)

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Per Akiyra's suggestion Z'leyra  motions to the party
           "Okay, we are told to camp and stay here, no wandering....

           [Febris 4th, 1635TH]
           [Kameran Lands - Forest South of Kameran capital]

           [Time: 4:22 am]

             After Kiet berates Mae.

             Arawn stood silent but observant as the others moved to and
           fro or shared choice words with each other. It had been thus
           for many a day, his thoughts drifting beyond the known and
           visible world, his being split between realms. But slowly he
           began his return to the solidity of the Middle World, though
           even now dancing amidst the cosmic gap in the aftermath of
           the battle.

             "All summonings have their price," Arawn said, his voice
           carrying from the shadows across the fire. "The forces of
           Chaos are quick to respond and comply. It's part of their
           appeal and due to their hunger. But their price is often far
           more than even the summoner imagines. Be careful, Maelorna. In
           their cunning they will exact more from you than is directly
           asked."

             For some time Arawn examines the dark tree.

             Arawn stood over the burnt out husk of the soul-leeching
           tree. It was a thing of spirit and souls, of which he was
           well-versed. Had he not been busy looking over Payan during
           the battle he would engaged it, though luckily for all in the
           end his effort was not required. But he could at least do his
           best to make sure that the threat was truly over and done.

                                 -----------
----------

           [Febris 7th, 1635TH]
           [Kameran Lands - Hills South of Kameran capital]

           [Time: 4:09 pm]

             The meeting with Akiyra and Z'leyra begins.  She
           says that things have changed.

             The druid, versed in the arts of social subtlety and
           diplomacy, did well to present an approachable and unassuming
           demeanor. Still, he took in the scene with an experienced eye
           and trepidatious inquisitiveness. His warm smile, so quick to
           spring to his face, grew as he eyed the wolves.  Allowing his
           hand to move from Corsaya's snow-white locks to his knee he
           came to a crouch, his body language letting the wolves know
           he came with peaceful greeting.

           [Time: 5:18 pm]

             As Akiya escorts the party north, Arawn tries to get near
           and examine the larger than usual wolf.  This is not that
           rare as even Celtric is a Wolf Shaman.  But this large one
           seems to be a large mountain-snow wolf.

             The druid tries to befriend the wolf without touching it.
           He extends his influence as a powerful empath and the wolf
           slowly notices the Alfar.  But the wolf is clearly torn between
           his master Akiyra and this strange man.  In a show of some
           lowering of his defenses the wolf does approach Arawn and
           sniffs his hand.  But then Akiyra barks a command and the
           wolf returns to her side.  But as they move the wolf seems
           to be receptive to the Druid.

             Z'leyra translates for those the meeting as they move north
           through the hills.

             "Please thank Shaman Akiyra for her hospitality," Arawn asked
           of Z'leyra. "And don't forget, we have gifts for your people,
           though I'm not sure if we'll be staying here or if those gifts
           are best presented in your village, a main center, or even a
           proper individual, such as Akiyra. You know your people best
           so I'll allow you to determine this.

             Just let me know if you need me to acquire some or all of
           those gifts now and I'll do so."

           [Time: 5:27 pm]

             Per Akiyra's suggestion Z'leyra  motions to the party.
           "Okay, we are told to camp and stay here, no wandering. Soon
           some of their leaders will come by to look at us to check us
           out for themselves. Try not to annoy them, please. Okay, set
           up the tents." She will talk to the horses, telling them to
           stay together, while she removes the gear and tack from her
           horse.

             As the party removes gear from horses to setup the tents and
           camp, Z'leyra watches.  She is normally one to help out her share
           but memories flood back about these lands.  Her sweet mother and
           the ever curious father.  Her siblings and friends of the family
           and personal friends.  A decade has changed and so has the person
           who left this place.  Then she was full of wanderlust and wanted
           to see everything.  Then when kicked out she was forced to do so.
           Going to Ticasi where she was pretty much treated as the barbarian
           she was among the 'civilized' students made her an outsider.

             Now she realizes this is her last chance.  If things go bad to
           where her sister indeed is the killer then what?  Will she allow
           the two Ticasi to take her back for swift justice?  Shouldn't
           Kameri justice be enough?

             Z'leyra spends a bit of time combing her hair and putting on
           the nice coat to make a better impression.

             This causes some like Kiet, Fremea, Kell and Unali to stare
           a bit.  To see her comb her hair is new.  Usually Unali for
           the court has to dress up nice but this is a new experience.
           to the others it is not a surprise.

             "Who will we be meeting with?," Arawn asked when Z'leyra
           translated.

             Once all was done he then moved off with Corsaya to help
           mark and secure the party's horses, asking for Kiet's help if
           necessary.  As he did so he whispered quietly among the Kameri
           horses, befriending them and learning what little they might
           have to share.

             But the horses just say the best grass when not snowing
           is on the east side of the village.

           [Time: 6:10 pm]

             Some of the villagers have helped setup camp.  Women and
           children help do the tents and arrange the horse pavilion
           as well as bring firewood.  Only one or two men actually help
           out as they stare from the margins wary of what is going on.

             The kids being naturally curious ask who they are, why they
           are here and what next among many other questions.  But their
           mothers stop them and hush them as it is not their place to ask.

             Soon the women leave and bring back food and drink.  Warm fresh
           meats from chicken, birds, rabbit and deer.  Fresh vegetables,
           though not as numerous due to winter season.  Drinks include water,
           tea, ale, beer and a spiced drink that Z'leyra devours since she
           has not had it in a decade.  It is a mix of tea and coffee that
           can be spiced up with cinnamon or peppers but tastes good.

             As the party drink and eat around the burning fire they realize
           they can all sleep well that night with no entries.  At least unless
           Z'leyra assigns some.  They should be relatively safe here in the
           middle of the village.  But as they relax, the Constable begins to
           relay what he learned of this land
since Z'leyra may have missed some
           details.  He speaks this in Marentian.

             "Some say this is the Home of Man.  Some believe it to be a nearby
           area to the west from a long dead empire.  Scholars have debated it
           for centuries."  He turns to Z'leyra who begins to pace back and
           forth as she drinks her Kalya spiced tea.  "If we are in the Kameran
           area and this is the capital why is it reported the Alesi have a few
           thousand more people?"  He shrugs and finishes his  story.

             "One Scholar wrote that as much as
18-20% of population may be just
           warriors which is a bit high for most cultures.  For a population of
           around 60-65,000 seems like they are paranoid or just wary."

             "Place depends on metals and minerals.  But I really wonder how
           they can sustain their wildlife growth and it survive the hunts
           and great culling here."  He looks to Pyan and figures maybe he
           can talk to the hunter about that later.

             "There is a distinction of men and woman here for sure.  As we
           can see from the looks around here.  I'm not into religion but
           I read somewhere they have gods for men and some for women.  Can't
           recall what they were.  But I read
something about Utgard?  I thought
           that god thing was in the north west
far from here.  Seems odd to have
           those believers here."

           [Time: 6:54 pm]

             The stars out bright as Z'leyra paces back and forth.  She
           figures this must be a test of some kind.  Make her nervous
           and off center.  She calms herself.  She grunts that Arawn who
           taught Fremea to calm down has worn off on her.  But then she
           looks around waiting for almost 2 hours for these leaders.

             Then a tall man, 6' 2 around 170 pound man and a short,
            5' 5 150 pound woman approach.  The man wears thick leathers,
            bastard sword and metal helmet and is in his late 40s.  The
            woman in her 60s is wearing a ink black robe with some purple
            stripes around the side and collar.  The robe is full of cosmic
            images like a comet or rocks or bright yell, red and blue
            stars.

             The party watches and the Sidh can see a strong aura around the
           woman who is probably a spell-caster.  The male there is just
           a normal hue around him.  Arawn can tell the man is contrite
           and wary while the woman is bold and confident.

             "I am Irana lodge leader of the Star Lodge.  This is War
           Chief Ohalo. "

             The man stands his ground but Irana walks among the others
           staring and examining them.  She stops in front of Fremea
           and frowns.  "You travel with this child?"  She moves on and
           sees the red head.  She stares at the red head as it is very
           rare if impossible here.  She turns and goes back to Z'leyra.

             Fremea grumbles in her mind.  She wants to rip her dress off
           and just show her what this child can do.  But she is nervous and
           waits for Z'leyra's signal.

             "You are here to see family but you were ... removed from here.
           What afterwards and with these people of yours?"  She glances at
           the hands of Z'leyra as if to assess her bearing.  Is she a person
           who uses her hands or gets others to do it.  Then she continues,
           "Welcome to Rock Crust Village."

             Z'leyra is taken aback.  She had hoped this would be the
           main capital.  Granted the tribes use no capital as they do
           like Maren.  But the main village is far larger.  She has been
           through this place many times going south to the forest.  But
           she has never stayed here.  She recalls the main lodge studies
           the astronomical things to derives their magic.

             "Greetings and thank you. have a seat, something to drink?"

             Irana finds this amusing.  A seat where there is none.  Unless
           on the ground.  But she shakes her head not wanting to dirty
           her robes.  She does take a mug of Kalya.

             Z'leyra continues, "removed, one could say so. But not exiled.
           I willingly went with my father to learn of the world south of
           here. I learned a fair bit. I shall share what I learned."

             Arawn can sense the lie in Z'leyra and so can the constable.
           Why isn't she telling them why she is really here?

             Irana drinks her Kalya and stares at the sword on Z'leyra's
           hip.  "Hand me that."  She points to the great sword.

             Z'leyra hands it over. Carefully. "And no. Neither my father
           nor I have revealed to any other what we swore to keep secret."

             Irana holds the sword in one hand and stops when she says
           that.  She raises an eyebrow and glances to the others.  Irana
           hopes the others do not understand Kameri or these secrets might
           have to be explained.

             Z'leyra stands as Irana twirls and weighs the sword looking at
           the blade quality and hilt.  The Shaman begins to fume a bit
           inside why all these tests?

             Irana is clearly no warrior but hands it over to the Chief.
           The chief does the same looking at the blade.  Then does some
           shadow fighting to test the blade.  He nods and hands it back
           to Irana. "A fine weapon.  Where did you steal it from?"

             The party and audience suddenly go quiet.  Those who don't
           understand Kameri until translated don't know what he said but
           the meaning is clear a bit of hostile like a parent scolding a
           child.

             Z'leyra's face stern she replies, "I made it with my own hands
           and skill."  She does the techniques taught by Arawn to Fremea
           and hopes he doesn't find out it rubbed off on her.  "I have
           fought a number of strong and dangerous opponents with it."

             Ohalo scoffs.  "We shall see." He hands the sword back to
           Irana who examines the hilt and nods.  Then back to the Healer.

             Z'leyra places it back in her magical sheath and wonders how
           quickly it would take to slice this chief in two.

             Irana nods, "so then you could show your skill by taking out
           our champion?"

             There it is the test.  Z'leyra holds her displeasure.

             "If you wish to see my skill at metalwork take me to a forge
           and I can show you."

             "No.  In combat. to ensure that you earned it rightfully."

             "If you wish to see my skill at fighting, let us set rules so
           that we do not maim or kill each other as that would weaken the
           Kameran, but yes, given those groundrules and even rules for
           both of us, sure. I do not claim to be better or even equal
           to your champion, I do claim to be competent."

             "Part of my success was in having excellent armor and weapon
           to fight with. So we should fight without armor and just
           practice blades if you wish to evaluate my skill without magic
           helping."  Z'leyra adds, "Or at least without the assistance of
           the magic my armor and blades are enchanted with."

             Ohalo crosses his arm clearly annoyed that this person has
           set ground rules.

             Irana nods, "So fight without that blade.  A blade of the
           same kind.  Agree.  If that blade has magic then it will be
           against the champion.  No armor no magic used by you both.
           We will do this in the morning."

             Z'leyra nods and glances at Ohalo is he the champion?  But
           he does not show any emotion on this.

             "It will be so.  Now let's learn about each other. "  The
           chief walks away back to some village buildings.  Seems to not
           care.  Irana however stays and learns about the party.

             "May I meet your champion, try some practice blades for
           size?"

             Irana shakes her. head.  "She is not in the area but should
           be by sunrise."

             Z'leyra starts a brief history of herself and her adventures.
           The same details she told the party.  Before she tries to
           translate to the party the last few minutes.  As she tells Irana
           she is a bit confused.  A champion a female?  Not the chief?
           Akiyra is right things have changed.  Females are the magical
           crafters and shamans but not warriors.  It is not impossible
           as some have been. But its not common.

           [Time: 7:12 pm]

             Z'leyra speaks to both the party and the Kameri who are
           all around.

             "Hello and welcome to you all! Please help yourselves to
           the refreshments, Brought all the way from Marentia, far to
           the south of here. Be seated and let me introduce us to you.

             I am Z'leyra, Born here in the Kameran I am one of the
           children of Z'nayha, a shaman and Tiren, an adventuring
           metalsmith from the far off land of Ticasi. Ticasi is a land
           that prides itself on gathering knowledge from all over the
           world. Tiren's father was a respected leader amongst his folk.

             Having heard rumors of Kameran metalwork Tiren overcame many
           dangers to come to the Kameran. Here he found what he would
           describe as a treasure far greater than the secret of Kameran
           metalwork. He found true love with the Kameran shaman Z'nayha
           and together they made five children, the two eldest, twin
           daughters, had just completed their shamanic training when
           Z'nayha died."

             A lady brings Irana a chair from a lodge to sit so not
           to dirty her robes.  Irana scowls a bit and others in the
           audience whisper.  Seekers of knowledge indeed - thieves
           of their secrets?

             Z'leyra continues, "Not being born a Kameri, Tiren was forced
           to leave and I volunteered to go with him to learn of the world
           south of here. I studied and learned a great deal. After Tiren
           died I was caught up in some adventures, met these folks and
           had a fair bit more adventuring and finally have come back here
           to the Kameran. Let me start carving a wooden practice blade
           while I introduce my friends. Sorry that most of them do not
           speak our language. Hopefully they will learn some of it soon."

             Z'leyra indicates each party member as she introduces them.
           "This is Corona, a VERY special eagle. My closest companion."

             Irana glances at Corona then off to the audience at some person
           no one can see.  Maybe another shaman of eagles?  It is too
           hard and dark to figure out.

             "This is Arawn, someone very in touch with nature."

             "Fremea, she is small yet skilled with both bow and blade."

             This causes the audience to murmur.  A child using such
           weapons?  Could she be no older than 10-12?

             "Kell, a man who knows how to value merchandise and who can
           get a fair deal."

             "Kiet, a tumbler, an acrobat. He is skilled at entertaining."

             "Unali, I know of none who can match her skill with daggers."

             "Pyandalgor, a hunter."

             Irana raises a hand.  "This one looks...like distant cousins.
           Where is this hunter from?"

             Z'leyra let's Pyan answer and translates for Pyan.

             Then she continues, "and more recent additions to our group."
           "Fukishtu Newsome, a chief amongst his own."

             Irana raises a hand, "a chief of what? A village?"

             "Lucria Cegra, a hunter."

             Some who understand Kameri quietly smile.  A hunter indeed
           not of animals but of people.

             "Mournath, a sailor."

             Irana raises a hand.  She looks to the audience of this land
           locked nation.  "Sailors are people who ride craft in the water
           like a raft in the streams during rain season."  This seems to
           quell questions and she nods for Z'leyra to continue.

             "Dorhak, a warrior. He may not be tall, so he learned how to
           shorten his opponents." she smiles, "and Maelorna, a dancer."

             Z'leyra allows others to speak to the Kameri.

             "Give them an eager audience and time to tell their tales
           and you may hear of many adventures. I will attempt to
           translate. Forgive me if I do not give justice to the
           full wonder of their words."

             "Let me start with myself. My father made sure escorting me,
           when I was but 17, to avoid troubles as we went down the river
           and then across the mountains to and through foreign lands to
           Ticasi. There we found his father had died and another, backed
           by a powerful family, had taken his place on the Ticasi council.
           For years I studied at this center of learning that Ticasi is
           famous for. My father sought to beat his rivals but one day I
           came home from my studies to find our workshop burnt down and
           my father dead. There was no proof of foul play. I started
           studying a spell that I hoped would reveal any, if there was
           foul play."

             The audience becomes very quiet.

             "Shortly after, a dying man got me to promise to deliver
           something for him. So I left Ticasi and made that delivery. I
           heard a rumor that someone who befriended and taught me while I
           was at Ticasi had been captured, perhaps enslaved by the people
           of the island of Clima. I had various adventures fighting
           brigands, sprites and a giant while traveling to Clima and
           there I met some Marentians on a similar mission. Together we
           freed the one I sought out and had adventures that I will
           allow others to tell."

             Irana seems pleased and drinks her second mug of Kalya.

             Irana quietly tells Z'leyra as the party hears Z'leyra's
           translated words.  "Your friends are free to move around.
           They will not enter any private lodge or home without
           proper assurance.  The few public places we have the small
           store, grain mill, blacksmith and such they are fine to
           go there.  But at this hour most will be closing for the
           night.  There is a drinking place in the north west the
           men use to drink...and other things.  But anyone going
           there or other places should have a translator.  I will
           personally ensure your safety here.  We normally would
           have a few guest lodges.  But with the hunters from the
           west here they are full.  Tomorrow night we can see about
           freeing a lodge for your party.  Unless you move on to
           find your family."

             Irana looks to the crowd and finally sees who she needs.
           She waves a young woman forward.  She turns to Z'leyra.
           "Who are your siblings and what villages do they belong to?
           We can see if they are still there.  Where was your home?"
           She nods to the other.  "She will try to find info tonight
           and tomorrow for you."

           [Time: 7:33 pm]

           Actions? Comments?

           Next Update..Friday...

           GM:  A good place to stop.  A lot of the above was in
                email and private chat with Alex.  It is just
                easier to do it real time.  As you can see Arawn
                is back in full PC mode now.  Welcome back!
                While this whole thing is Z'ls main thing folks
                can still do things.  Since no Friday update
                consider this (Saturday) the Monday update.  I
                will do the Friday update this week or try to
                on Wednesday since Thursday is always hectic.  This
                will go slower in these updates.  But if nothing
                major happens we'll move on to the morning.

          GM: Necklace Use [Reminder to myself]
              Feb 7 - ????
              Feb 8+- ????