[pnpgm] Game Update #44 - File #326 - Courtroom Mystery revealed

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Mar 1 04:40:56 CET 2016

   HT     Player        DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
W2R2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
W3R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #44 sequence (file #326)

         From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
           Z'leyra replies to Arawn's question about her twin "Yes, we are

           Z'leyra then asks Arawn to complete the transaction that
           she had agreed to in getting the merchant's gold to Ticasi.
         GM: Ack. Arawn will have to do it in morning as by time leave
             the courthouse it'll de dark and might be closed.

         From Kell: [Re: Actions]
           Kell arrives late at the courthouse, finds the group and asks,
           "What did I miss?"

           [Waiting for the big reveal.  Guessing this will toss a big
           monkey wrench in things, so just waiting, and not slowing the
           next update. Is Tiren not really dead? Did he fake his
           murder???  Could it be??!! Or Z's Twin??

           Or maybe it is Taco Tuesday. We all love Taco Tuesday, with
           the Taco man. :)  ]
         GM: Ack.  No no! I not a fan of tacos.  IT is Ice Cream Fridays!

         From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
           FYI, Arawn would not have mentioned his thoughts on the twin
           while Z'leyra was around. This was said after she was escorted
           away by the constables.

           Gold transaction - assuming this is asked of him before she's
           escorted away, he'll offer to do so once he finds the time.
         GM: Ack. I know enough that you'd not be that crass so we
             all figure it was discreet.  As to gold I didn't know
             this until now so can't do till morning game wise.

           [Ticasi]
           [Decalis 24th, 1634TH]

           [Time: 3:26 pm]

             Before Z'leyra is escorted to the courthouse, Arawn asks
           a question.

             "Yes, we are identical, but I refuse to believe that she had
           anything to do with this. She loved our father and he kept his
           oaths. There would be no reason for her to kill him."

             The law dean looks to Z'leyra and frowns.  "One that just
           looks like you?  Where is she now?"

           [Poorda's house]
           [Time: 3:40 pm]

             Arawn asks if Pyan would like to at least learn some of
           the Donaran tongue so he can at least understand bits
           and pieces.

             Pyan considers Arawn's offer, wondering if he should trust
           his mind

             to the necklace again, if it can make him understand a new
           language what else can it do?

             Pyan decides he has already used it once so the damage to his
           mind is already done.  He takes the necklace and puts it on
           then speaks the command word, 'understand.'

             AT his learning is less inclined to learn languages,  Pyan
           does at least learn it at a low pre-school level.  He may
           not understand every 5th or 10th word but maybe once in
           awhile at least grasp some

           [Time: 5:23 pm]

             Z'leyra waits almost 7 minutes now and nothing has gone on.
           Is this a test?  Is she expected to flee and then killed
           in the attempt?  There must be guards on the other side of
           the back door just waiting to take her down.  Then the door
           opens and a man steps through.

             The door opens in the rear of the courtroom.  A man in his
           early 70s.

             0s steps in.  His gray hair smoothed back and nicely trimmed.  He
           is wearing a gray business coat and vest with black pants.  This
           is not a common style but merchants in business may try it.  He
           smiles as he enters the room.

             Z'leyra stares with jaw down as he crosses the room to her
           defense table.  Z'leyra realizes this and regains her composure.

             "You know me?"

             Z'leyra nods, Master Scholar Hovan Vachera himself in front of
           her.

             "This whole business is very disturbing."  He removes his smile
           and shakes his head as he paces back and forth in front of the
           defense table.  "We had hoped you would not return.  I respect
           that you want justice.  But this brings up a whole can of meal
           worms into the mix.  Many folks beyond you and Tiren will be
           affected."  He stops and stares at Z'leyra.  "You know I only
           met him twice.  He seemed like a decent man.  I saw him at
           council meetings but we never did social things."  He returns
           to packing back and forth.

             "You mind?"  He reaches for the talisman on the prosecutor
           desk and activates it without waiting for an answer.  He
           watches the illusion while 'standing' in the shop wall.  It
           ends and he places the talisman back on table.

             "It looks bad for you my dear.  But your defense is clear.
           Has to be illusion or disguise right?"  Z'leyra nods and
           the Scholar continues nodding. "I figure.  There are many
           variables in this mess.  You will learn some once this is all
           done tonight or tomorrow.  What you hear may not be what
           you want to hear.  But for the safety of this city we must
           keep our secrets dear."

             Hovan stops in front of the desk and stares at Z'leyra.
           "We have ...an ability to detect all spells.  I don't mind
           magic in general.  All that are common and rare.  Under
           the magic school itself we have a hidden area that tracks
           all magic in the city and outside within 5 miles."

             He begins to pace back and forth again.  "We've learned
           years ago that students will abuse the rules.  Some simply
           prefer to cheat.  After several...accidents and lost of
           property we set this system up.  It records the spells
           and archives them.  The day in question of Tiren's murder
           there was only 2 illusion spells and no masquerade spells.
           The two in question we quietly investigated.  The first was
           a student trying to cast a illusion to hide a trap to help
           his hunter friend get rid of an animal in his house.  The
           second was a teacher placing a illusion on a painting to
           demonstrate a staff member how moving pictures can be done.

             "This means...you...or others could not have used such
           magic in that shop.  We'd have known it.  I know it is possible
           that a person could have a item or done it outside our range.
           But I'm told by our experts this is unlikely.  This means
           some other unknown magic or creature."

             "If you will not tell anyone even your friends of this
           secret of our ability.  Then I will see that you will be
           set free tomorrow morning due to lack of evidence.  Those
           who saw you at school will be your saving grace.  Tomorrow
           afternoon you will then need to leave the city and find
           who did this.  We have reason to believe whatever or whatever
           it was is been long gone from the city."  Z'leyra detects
           a bit of more secrets within.

             "The hearing must continue as normal for show.  But if
           you stay in town longer it will cause rifts.  Even the
           judges and councilors do not know this secret.  Only the
           magic school councilor and a few select people.  If you
           have evidence that the person could still be here we
           might be able to work something out.  But it would have
           to be strong evidence."

             He stops and stars at Z'leyra.  "What do you say?"

             Z'leyra lifts her manacles and smiles. "I am inclined to
           believe you. Not to worry. I have no plans to violate such
           secrets. But my first inclination is that leaving town would
           not only look bad for me but would make it harder to find the
           guilty party. Heh, I would like to have the ability to verify
           that you actually ARE who you look to be, that YOU aren't
           someone impersonating our Master Scholar. Let me think this
           through. "

             A feral smile crosses the Scholar's face and Z'leyra is not
           sure if that's good or bad.

             "There are several methods for someone to have cast an
           illusion outside of range then teleported or otherwise come to
           Tiren's in which case it is likely that using Akasha to follow
           them would end at the arrival and departure perhaps giving no
           further clue as to whom they are or were. But I would still
           like to verify this. They may actually leave a clue or solution
           not having expected sufficient Akasha spells to follow them."

             "There is a nice lady who was killed. Perhaps because she saw
           someone, a man, around the time Tiren was murdered. I would
           like to use Akasha to see both her murder and the view she
           had before during and after the fire at Tiren's."

             "I see no good coming of getting into conflict with the
           powers of Ticasi. But I suspect that you would prefer to get
           rid of any bad apples in Ticasi. If I am allowed to do the
           Akasha spells before I leave, I agree to leave Ticasi. I will
           continue to seek Tiren's killer regardless. I would prefer to
           be able to come back if and when I find proof."

             The Scholar nods, "I do not know this spell of which you
           speak nor of this woman killed.  I was briefed only a short
           while  ago by someone on some of the basic details.  As to
           teleport we checked on that none was cast that day at all.
           You must understand this city is on the edge.  If the Resident
           heard about what is going on and an investigation of this
           nature continues he'll be asking questions.  We must maintain
           our full independence.  We must conduct this as quietly and as
           civiliy as we can.  I suspect the Smith clan will have some
           issue but I suspect they may also back down."

             Z'leyra weighs his offer wondering if this the true master
           scholar.  She could simply ask Arawn to bring in her stone
           and dispel any illusion.  But the way this is being done
           in seclusion without even a formal judge knowing must be
           that only one of his power can do it. After studying the
           man for a few long moments she agrees.

             "Great.  We will finish today.  Do not even tell your
           lawyer anything.  The only one in question would be
           the judge and we'll talk to him later."  The master scholar
           looks at Z'leyra intently.  "I do think I saw you once
           on a event at the Healer's school.  Your teachers were
           impressed by you. Your name is rather unique and now I
           think I can place you.  It is sad we meet under such
           foul circumstances.  I can read your face.  Do I think
           you did it you ask? No.  A master healer would not do such
           especially to her own father."

             The old man steps back and grunts looking around the
           courtroom.  "Now we will see that you leave tomorrow.
           I would prefer by afternoon.  Now here are my conditions.
           We will free you if you take two of our best hunters.
           They will ensure you return as well as find the true
           killer.  You may return only with that proof.  If you
           return without...it will cause problems for many people."

             Z'leyra grits her teeth. So that was his game.  To attach
           two others to her party.  This man was indeed a nice card
           player.  She guessed that was his game the second he came
           inside.  She was played very smoothly.

             Z'leyra finally nods and agrees.

             The master scholar then pulls something out of his vest
           pocket the size of a round coin.  He places it on the
           table in front of Z'leyra.  He gets her attention and
           then taps the silver round disk.  Suddenly a burst of light
           splays everywhere.  But it was so fast not much can be
           done to block it.  But Z'leyra feels nothing.  He gathers
           up the disk.  "When you return we will need to remove this
           memory of this meeting.  This was a simple object to as
           they say index this memory in your mind.  That way we can
           track back to this flash and pull back a bit from it to
           remove a half hour or so."

             "You must understand simple honor of your father and
           yourself is not just at stake.  If the Resident even learns
           a bit of these secrets it could cause generations of problems.
           So we must remove even this meeting..  Later tonight when
           this room is closed we'll ensure no magic like your Askaha
           thing will be used as well."

             The Master scholar then turns and walks to the back of
           the room.  At the door he opens and steps in the threshold.
           With his back turned he says, "your uncle played the game
           very well.   He is quite your advocate."  Then he steps through
           and leaves closing the door.

             Z'leyra stares at the door.  Could her uncle be the one
           to get him here?  How did he set it up so fast?  They did
           meet yesterday.  They were both navigators.  She wonders
           for a few minutes then calls for the guards.

           [Time: 5:30 pm]

             Unali realizes what is going on in the courtroom is
           important.  But it gives her a chance to do something
           she could not while the court was in session.

             Unali will try to let Z'leyra know later.  But for now
           she asks the defense lawyer for a moment.  She informs
           him quickly of what Z'leyra old dancing teacher told her.
           Since Unali was here during Milo's testimony she asks
           the lawyer if he can produce documents of the mine issues.
           She asks if Milo can explain his relationship with the
           dancer.

             The lawyer glances at the Smith's and nods to Unali.
           "I may not want to know how you got this info or why but
           I will certainly follow up."

          [Time: 5:38 pm]

             As Arawn checks out Gorsh's hand.  Kiet tries to call the
           defense lawyer, prosecutor and Judge over.  The judge looks
           frustrated that he has to stand here in the hallway.

             The judge crosses his arms waiting for Kiet to explain.

             "Judge, my name is Kiet Sunan and I am a friend of Z'leyra's.
           Please do not hold that against me.  I have some information
           that may or may not be related to this case, but at least is
           important to help identify some people that should not be
           involved in her case."

             Kiet continues with "we as a group visited Poorda the day
           before her murder.  She was a gracious old lady and seemed very
           nice.  One thing I noticed was an especially gaudy vase she
           had...orange and red it was.  Well, the day of her murder, but
           before I knew about her death, I saw a man (turns out to be
           this scum!) walk into a shop on Nasi Street where it was
           obvious he sold the vase.  The owner of the shop could
           certainly identify from whom he purchased the vase.  The vase
           was missing after her death and one of the constables or
           investigators noted there being a ring spot on a table that
           obviously had been where something had been, and I will
           testify under oath that it was the vase missing."

             The judge waves hand, "Poorda?"

             The defense lawyer quickly explains.  But the judge shakes
           his head.  "I do not see how this relates to this case.  But
           continue."

              Kiet nods, "because I recognized the vase, I was extremely
           curious, enough so that I followed the man who sold the vase.
           He went to a gambling parlour/whorehouse and started playing
           cards.  I was rather surprised when that Garr Smith boy came
           downstairs and immediately went to the vase man and started
           talking to him.  I fount that even more curious."

             The judge raises a eyebrow and glances at Martin and Milo
           who are staring back some 50 feet down hallway wondering
           what is being said.

             "But then, after they finished talking, it got over the top.
           Old Man Smith shows up at the brothel!  I hear him ask Garr. '
           ...why do you insist places like this?  We can bring girls to
           your place..Now come we need to go."  The younger Smith
           finishes one more hand of cards then asks his daddy where they
           are going.  As they are leaving, Old Man Smith...er, my
           Pardon...Councilor Smith...looks over his shoulder and
           indicates vase man, here, and asks 'Is that him?', and then
           they leave"

             The judge raises a hand and waves a constable over and whispers
           to the man.  The guard nods and moves closer down the hall
           toward the Smiths. The judge turns back and nods for Kiet to
           continue.

             Kiet stops for a second.  "My first thought was 'what are
           these three up to?  I didn't put the pieces fully together
           until I found out about Poorda's death.  I was shocked.  I
           even told my friends what I thought had happened."

             "Well, this very day we caught up with this killer after
           someone tried to have him killed.  I say he is a murderer
           because he confessed to us that he killed Poorda...and he
           said that the two Smiths put him up to it!"

             Gorsh hears this and shoves Arawn away, "this is not-"

             The judge waves a hand, "silence.  For your own sake."
           The judge waves for Kiet to continue.

             "I understand that these charges are weighty.  I promise
           to make myself available as Witness for as long as you might
           need me to do so.  And I ask that this scum immediately be
           questioned and then held for HIS trial for killing that nice
           old lady."

             The judge looks to Gorsh and considers.  "Why is his
           hand hurt?"  He steps forward toward Gorsh.  "You have
           the right to not answer until we can get your own lawyer.
           But I ask.  Is this true?"

             Gorsh looks down the hall and the judge clicks his tongue
           to draw him back to his eyes.  "I..."  He looks to Kiet
           and Fremea by the wall.  Both did sort of save him from
           the others.  If he says no he could be set free and be
           could hope to survive or he could tell the truth and get
           immunity.  "If I say yes do I get less a sentence?"

             The judge looks to the prosecutor.  Who considers this.
           "We can see.  For now consider this off the record.   If
           you testify and this man does as well we can certainly
           consider options."  Then Arawn realizes these people do
           not seem to like the Smith's as well.

             Gorsh nods, "Its true."

             The judge waves a guard down from the end of the hall.
           "Summon the chief investigator for a Poorda's murder.
           He will need to talk to this man.  Then lock him downstairs
           in holding and see his hand is treated.  We will see him
           in court in the morning."

             Kiet notices Martin motion Milo down the hall in the opposite
           direction.  That's when the defense lawyer and judge both
           yell.  "Gentlemen stop!"

             Both Smith men stop and look back.  The judge waves the
           back.  "I will need both of you in court when we convene."

             Martin growls as he moves back.  "We are both busy we
           don't have time.  Maybe in the morning."

             "Yet you wanted to be one of the Councilor Judges?"

             "Well..Yes..but"  Martin Smith stutters.

             "Then its settled you both have time. I suspect we won't
           hold court tonight much longer." He smiles and watches
           as Gorsh is escorted down the hall.

           [Time: 5:45 pm]

             Z'leyra calls the judge and guards back in.  The guards
           look reluctantly in at first then waves everyone it is ok
           to go back in.  The Judge huffs and climbs the stone steps
           back to his bench.  "Seats everyone we are running out of
           daylight."  He glances at the windows of the fading light.

             Unali rushes in to try to explain what Armanth told her.
           But before she could open her mouth the defense lawyer-
           Silas Mun speaks up.  "I wish to recall Milo Smith to the
           stand."

             The audience looks over at Milo who looks confused he
           glances at Martin then stands to move to the stand.

             Silas smiles and approaches, "we've come into some new
           information  to light.  First can you produce any documents
           as to the mine being far more valuable than Tiren suggests?"

             Milo frowns, "this was over two years ago.  I can barely
           recall papers my students give me weekly."  The spare citizens
           in the room laugh.  But Silas continues.

             "Surely Orto might have the documents?" The lawyer looks back
           over at Martin and the others.

             Milo shrugs, "I am sure...we could try to find them.  I am
           mostly the head of the company as figure head.  But I can
           certainly ask my Manager to look for them.  It may take
           some time - a day or two."

             Silas nods then goes in for the kill.  "It seems you may
           have forgotten something.  Do you know a woman named Armanth?"

             Milo becomes a bit pale as he glances over at Z'leyra.  From
           behind Unali wishes she could tell Z'leyra first to prepare
           for the shock.  But there is no time.  Milo nods, "I believe
           I have ...seen her around the schools."

             "My new information is that you know her more than just
           a passing person in the crowd.   Would you like to explain
           this or should I?"  Silas looks straight at Milo.

             Milo glances at Z'leyra, then Martin and finally at the
           judges and councilors.  He sighs and sits back in his chair.
           "We had an affair."

             A gasp rings out but to Z'leyra's credit she just stares
           at the man.  Then Silas continues, "what period was this?"

             Milo checks his collar and straightens it.  "Around two
           years ago."

             "Would you say this was during the time of Tiren's death?"

             "Yes.  But she was no longer interested in Tiren."

             "So you say.  I'm told by several that Tiren and Armanth
           were a couple.  So Armanth chased you while with Tiren?"

              Milo looks around the furniture and walls.  Could there
            be some magic here to test the truth?  He has heard that
            such magic exists.  But he sees nothing that could reveal
            his request for info on the subject.  Milo looks back at
            Silas not knowing if he is being tested by magic.  "I...I
            chased her.  I've always liked her since we were younger.
            Tiren's work was straining the relationship.  He was ignoring
            her more and more.  I ...saw my chance.  She actually
            went to eat and picnics with me."

              Silas adds, "if we summon Armanth she would advise this
            as truth?  She was frustrated with things?"

              "I don't....I mean I just...assumed she was."

              "So two things give you some motive to see Tiren hurt.
            First this mine situation and now his own girlfriend.
            Is this true."

              "Not per-"

              The prosecutor stands, "Milo Smith is not on trial here.
            He has given answers he should not speculate on things
            that can't be shown as facts."

              Silas nods, "fine.  That is all for now."  He waves for
            Milo to step down if so wanted.

              Milo sits there a few moments and stares at Martin who
            could eat stone with ease.

           [Time: 6:00 pm]

             For the next 30 minutes the Councilors ask questions of
           Z'leyra and her relationship with Tiren and others.  At
           the stand she answers everything truthfully.  She also
           answers about her relationship with Armanth the Dance teacher.

             During this time Kell and Z'leyra's cousin arrive in the
           courtroom and take seats in the back.

             Kell leans into Arawn.   "What did I miss?"

             But Arawn just nods and whispers later as Z'leyra continues
           to speak on the stand.

           [Time: 6:32 pm]

             The judge looks at the windows at the night sky as the
           courtroom gets dimmer even with candles lit.  "I think
           this will be it for tonight.  We shall adjourn until the
           morning at 7.  Unfortnately, Z'leyra will have to remain
           in custody until this hearing is complete."

             Defense lawyer stands, "can she be under house arrest
           at Tiren's place?"

             The prosecutor stands, "Objection.  Too close to the
           scene.  She is a flight risk as she and her friends can
           use magic."

             The judge nods, "I concur.  You will be escorted to
           the Munoz Street Garrison.  Since you will just be
           under custody no need to house her in a jail cell.  So
           we can use one of the guest holding suites."

             The judge slams down a ivory hammer on a metal plate.

             The court begins to stir until the judge raises a hand.

             "There is one other matter.  Martin Smith please stand."

             Martin stands up from the pews and looks puzzled.

             "There have been some nasty accusations about the events
           today.  Earlier I signed an arrest warrant for your son Gar
           Smith."

             "What!?"  He moves out into the aisle and toward the bench
            area stopping between the defendant table and prosecutor
            when a constable stops him.  "This is outrageous!  Why?"

             "Right now it is questioning. But it could be as serious
           as conspiracy to murder."

             "My so is innocent and this is totally uncalled for.  You
           will need to pass this through the council-"

             "We have three councilors here.  Do you three have any
           issue?"

             All three shake their heads.

             "IT is just for questions at this point.  I suggest
           you head to the basement now and see the investigator.
           He may have questions for you as well."

             "This insane.  I'm too busy for this."  He turns and
           heads to the door but is stopped by two constables.

             "While this is a suggestion if you leave now this will
           be far worse later.  Legally we can't hold you."

             Martin turns around and points at Z'leyra.  "Her and her
           friends have lied to ruin my and my son's reputation!"

             The judge leans forward and folds his hands on the bench.
           "Your son will have an advocate but if you do not at least
           attend you will be the one to blame if things go badly."

             All eyes turn to Martin who pales and then turns 5 shades
           of red.  If looks could kill Z'leyra would be ash.    "Fine!"

             "Good.  That nice constable there will escort you to the
           correct place.  Good night Councilor."

             Martin leaves and Milo sits gaping.  Finally he raises
           a hand.  :"Do..do I need to ..stay?"

             "At this point I do not believe so."  He glances at Kiet
           but does not see a reason to keep him.  "Till the morning."

             The judge stands and exits through the back door.

             As the courtroom begins to empty constables come to escort
           Z'leyra.  The defense advocate looks to her friends.  "We
           can give you directions.  It will take about a hour or so
           to process her and then I'm sure you can visit her.  I suspect
           you will need to discuss a few things."

             With that Z'leyra is escorted through the back door away from
           the party.

             The party quickly leaves and rushes down stairs.

           [Time: 6:43 pm]

             The party rushes out to see where Z'leyra is heading and
           to ensure she can be protected.  Arawn calls for Corona
           but he is nowhere in sight.  That could only mean that
           he has seen her and flown overhead.  Fremea uses a tree
           and removes her dress and flies around the courthouse faster
           than the party could run and finds no sign of her as he
           was escorted away fast.

             As the group waits outside a constable comes and finds the
           party.  "Whom is Kiet Sunan?"  The party points to Kiet.
           "The chief investigator would like to have you downstairs
           in the basement to give your side of things please."

           Actions?  Comments?

           Next Update....Monday???

           GM: Gosh!  A short update.  :)  I figure this is a good place
               to stop.  Folks can find Z'leyra tonight or tomorrow morning
               to explain what you guys found. If there is a piece of
               info you don't want to share let me know as some things
               might hurt Z'leyra.

               Plan is to in next update start the court hearing for the
               morning.  I may do a hour or two so maybe 10 am or so but
               not sure yet.  But that is the general plan.  If there
               is something to do tonight let me know.  Party members will
               not be allowed to stay in the garrison after 9.

               I would do a bit more in this update but recovering a bit
               form a light cold.  IF I have time and feel better I may
               do work this wednesday on next update.  But if things get
               back then it'll probably be Saturday UNLESS I get off
               Thursday which I have been last 3 weeks.  If so I can
               do lot more work on it then.  Stay tuned.

               If this was a table game I'd torture the players by playing
               the Law & Order chords every few minutes and hold up a paper
               with things like where the location is.  So imagine you are
               tortured by it while reading.