[pnpgm] Ticasi - proposed speech

Alex Koponen akoponen at mosquitonet.com
Sun Jan 24 02:59:25 CET 2016

"Yes, I do intend to pay for eveyone's meal tomorrow. Not as a bribe but
as simple courtesy since they will be my guests." replies Z'leyra to Kell.

In responses to Arawn she replies "Good idea. I will ask Corona and
another volunteer to keep watch. " ;
"No. I don't know what, if any, connections she has. I wouldn't be
surprised if they hear of my return. But that isn't necessarily bad.
Many folks get caught not because of crime, but because they were caught
trying to cover it up.";
"I hope that I am treading carefully. Were I not, I would have come
alone and there would be no one to watch my back or ask questions if
something happened to me.";
"As I recall I was practicing the Levitation spell. I didn't keep track
of who was in and out of the lab and no questions were asked about it.
It is unlikely that anyone will be a reliable witness to my presence
from that long ago. I had no motive and if I was guilty of something why
would I be the one dredging up this past history?"

When feeding Corona his fish before dinner she asks him to keep watch
and warn her if anyone is trying to overhear her conversations while
they are in Ticasi.

Over dinner with the party she reprises her history. "Some of you
already know this, Those newer to our fellowship may know only parts.
This as I told the story to Kaylle the Lengendmaster."

More than a quarter century ago a promising young Ticasi scholar of a
well to do family came upon and verified the interesting fact that
weapons made by the Kameri tribe were known to be stronger, less likely
to break than other weapons made by human hands. Somehow the steel was
made tougher. This scholar, a charming and adventurous man and
knowledgeable in metal crafts scandalized his family by traipsing off
into the wilderness seeking the Kameri in hopes of learning the secret.

With pluck and luck the scholar, Tiren by name, made it though a
thousand miles of wilderness terrain inhabited by hostile tribes to the
Kameran, the lands of the Kameri. Quite the adventure, unfortunately his
notes about the trip were later destroyed in a fire. For his winning a
word challenge the Kameri gave him one month’s visitation privileges,
only to be extended by word of a shaman. In that month Tiren managed to
impress and marry a young Kameri shaman, Z’nayha. By all accounts they
truly loved each other and were happily married. Z’nayha extended his
visit month by month until she died.

Less than a year after his arrival in the Kameran, Tiren was the father
of identical twin girls Z’layha and Z’leyra. In the following years
Tiren and Z’nayha had two sons and another daughter.

Tiren did learn the Kameri metalworking secret, though to do so he had
to swear great oaths of secrecy. After eight years in the Kameran Tiren
managed to send a message to Ticasi saying that he was well, had married
and had children. Almost another ten years would pass before an event
would uproot his life and send him back to Ticasi. Their daughters had
been inducted into the mystic lodges, Z’layha and Z’leyra had been
taught the greater secrets and just initiated as young shaman when
Z’nayha, wandering in the woods as she was wont to do, failed to come
home one night. Her body was soon found where she had apparently stepped
into a deathtrap that a hunter had set for a rogue bear. Her death ended
Tiren’s visitation privilege.

At Tiren’s request the tribe considered his desire to take his children
with him and ultimately allowed him to take one of his children, Z’layha
or Z’leyra having finished their studies and of an age to make their own
decisions. Tiren thought that Z’layha’s pet wolf would be harder to fit
in Ticasi society than Z’leyra’s pet eagle. The tribe determined that
Z'leyra was a redundant shaman and allowed her to be sent with her
father back to 'civilized' lands after he had told the elders and chiefs
the advantages to having someone learn civilized skills and magic. She
was 17 years of age when she left.

After another harrowing thousand mile trip (this time including a trip
down much of the River Dirla), Tiren and his daughter Z’leyra arrived at
his families home in Ticasi and got the welcome of a prodigal son. His
father had done well and been elected to the Council of Scholars. Though
he only served one two-year term, that qualified Z’leyra to subsidized
instruction in the field of her choice. She chose to study Balance
Magics as a complement to her Shaman skills.

A shy student, treated as an outsider because of her barbarian heritage
and upbringing, she naturally gravitated towards other outsiders who
also enjoyed the woodlands and became friends with some Sidh who
introduced her to Sidh and Elder magic. During this time Z’leyra became
friends with Varange, a Faerry Sidh Magician who spent time in Ticasi as
a diplomat and scholar. Z’leyra had managed to do well enough in her
healing studies, primarily because of her earlier shamanic training,
that she was recognized as a Master Healer.

  From her father as part of her training she learned how to be a Master
Armorer and Kameri Weaponsmith. The training she received from the Sidh
also instructed her in the skill of Jeweler in which she became quite
competent if not quite a Master.

Tiren, having reestablished himself in Ticasi society, attempted to
attain the rank of Counsel of Metal Crafts. His blades were wondrously
strong but he was up against a clan of metal workers that had controlled
the post, with one two-year exception, for generations. In one test the
judging was obviously biased, two years later in the next test in which
he had arranged for powerful neutral observers to watch, his examples
were stolen and replaced with shoddy substitutes. While making items for
the third test the forge in his house mysteriously caught fire and
burned the house to the ground, killing Tiren and destroying all his notes.

This left Z’leyra homeless. After seven years in Ticasi she was ready
for a change. Her father was dead and her grandfather had died years
earlier. All the rest of her father’s relatives snubbed her, thinking
and talking of her as ‘that barbarian brat’ and treating her as a
servant or slave. Her closest friends were in the forest, not the city.
After conferring with some of these friends she realized that only by
leaving and coming back obviously rich and powerful would she change how
they thought of and treated her.

This fit in with her other long term plans: becoming powerful enough to
find and expose her father’s killers then ultimately going back to
Kameran with enough knowledge and power so as to be respected rather
than ostracized for leaving the Kameran. She knows that the longer she
takes the more impressive she must be as she will be compared with her
sister who will have been advancing in skill as a shaman for years.

Z'leyra was ready for adventure when it offered. Part of her training
and later work as a healer had her acquiring enough fame as a healer
that one night she was woken up to care for a man dying from an exotic
poison. While unable to save the man, she was alone with him when he
decided that his mission required him to pass a package to her with
instruction to get it to his comrade in Aratad. The next morning Z’leyra
closed up her affairs in Ticasi, gathered the equipment she could and
took off for Aratad.

Twenty days of hiking later Z’leyra arrived in Aratad after an
uneventful journey. Here was the real start of her adventures. She
delivered the package to the designated recipient, Cortez Aqula, a merchant.
The next morning Cortez Aqula, impressed with Z’leyra and her honesty in
delivering the package, hired her to make another delivery. In making
the delivery she heard about Varange and managed to get to Clima to join
in his rescue.

"Good friends, at the lunch tomorrow amongst others we should have from
the Magic Department Deputy Councilman Burl Tiesmorten
the Law Department Counselman Silaius Duke
Jewel Crafting Teacher Yalenka Narda
Medicine teacher Professor Garr
Dancing teacher Ira Armanth
and hopefully a number of other worthy witnesses.
This is what I propose to tell to our guests tomorrow."

Honored guests. I asked you here to listen and hopefully to witness. Oh
Julis 5, 1632TH my father, Tiren, was in his workshop working on a
masterwork for demonstrating his craft and vying for a council seat when
the workshop caught fire and burned down, Tiren dying in that fire. It
was proclaimed an accident. Though I was studying other subjects I had
spent many hundreds of hours acting as my father's apprentice. I knew
the shop and my father's habits. I could not see the fire happening by
accident, but I had no way to prove otherwise.

These other subjects I studied were medicine and magic. Both of which I
did very well in. I had been practicing levitation when I heard of the
fire. Afterwards I had little to hold me here. I had passed my
apprenticeships, yes I had studied hard and learned more than one, and
helped out in the infirmary while pondering what to do next.  There I
agreed to a dying man's request which set me off on a series of
adventures which now have me living in Sivas.

I kept up my magical studies. I had learned the basics of the difficult
and even dangerous Akasha spell that allows one to see into the past. If
I got skilled enough at that spell I could use it to see what had
occurred when the workshop burnt down. Potentially useful, but that
would provide no proof to others if I had a vision thru a spell. So I
also considered how to make the vision of the past visible to others. My
idea is to make a Ward that will cast a translucent illusion of any
Akasha spell cast in its area of affect. Translucent so that one can see
what was happening both inside and outside of any walls. With magically
adept witnesses they can see that I am not casting an illusion myself
when I use the Akasha spell to see into the past.

I made a staff, and later a wand and other items to assist me in my
spell castings. They can be examined to show that they do not have any
improper enchantments, that they are not enchanted to cast an illusion.
I hope that after we have eaten we can go to the site of the workshop.
Make sure that I, or anyone else has not recently cast magic there, and
witness me cast the Ward and Akasha and see a vision from the past
showing what DID happen to set the workshop alight. Whether it was an
accident or if some other thing or perhaps person was the cause.

"Any suggestions?"

In the evening, after dinner, she will return the days visitation
ribbons to a guard.