[pnpgm] Game Update #40c - File #290- - Collecting Witnesses Day 2

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Wed Feb 3 01:23:56 CET 2016

   HT     Player        DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
W2R2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
W3R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra

       Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

       Game Update #40b sequence (file #290)

         From Pyan: [Re: Actions]
           Pyan goes to Zleyra and says,  'I will volunteer  to keep
           watch."
         GM: Ack.  That works.  I was hoping you'd find something to
             do.  While this is mostly for Z'leyra others like Arawn
             and Kiet have done stuff to fill their time.  This part
             while 10% organized is 90% free form letting folks do
             what they want within reason.  Plus I do watch out the
             role playing and boost things up for points and such
             at the end of the adventure.  :)

           [Hills near Ticasi]
           [Decalis 23rd, 1634TH]

           [Full Moon Inn]
           [Time: 6:22 pm]

             The party returns to the Inn for dinner.  Though there is
           talk among some most are quiet.  Kiet and Kell argue over
           the merits of spear versus swords.  But everyone else is quiet
           as they consider the day's events.  Z'leyra watches the city
           pass as she walks contemplating how she got here and why she
           has returned.  A thousand miles from her new home she returns
           to her native home.  What is home but a place to stay?  Do
           you consider your birth place home or where your base of
           operations is?

             She passes homes with children and families sitting down to
           dinner or playing outside.  Most people by her age would
           be married with kids.  She has driven so hard to do many works
           and learn great things.  She looks to Pyan and Fremea as they
           walk staring around them like kids in a candy store.  Is she
           doing them harm by involving them in her deeds?  What if this
           thing tomorrow comes out that she is somehow framed or found
           guilty?  Would that endanger them or get their reputation even
           more darkened?

             What if it was a simple accident?  A clumsy knocking of a
           lantern with some ashes?  A great man like Tiren once one
           of the Council members in this city and Metal Crafter expert
           would be degraded by a accident a new metal worker would make?
           If an accident it would ruin his own reputation and his family
           what he has here in town.  She may be here to save the soul
           of one man but at the cost of dozens others?

             Arriving at the Inn the group separates to rooms, bath
           houses or to the Inn tavern.  Z'leyra enters the small
           bathhouse to clean up for dinner.  She rinses her face and
           hands leaning over the water basin.  As she raises up she
           almost sees a thin image of a man in the mirror.  But it was
           a half second that almost looked like a younger form of Tiren.
           She stares in the mirror and wonders if her mind is playing
           tricks on her or she is just exhausted after weeks of travel.
           Some like Arawn would see this a omen and spend hours trying
           to solve it.  But what she recalls of her grandfather is that
           over thinking is dangerous.

           [Full Moon Inn - Tavern]
           [Time: 6:46 pm]

             The party sits down to a nice dinner and most take the seafood
            deals aside from Arawn who takes vegetable plates.  Z'leyra
            thanks everyone for their help today and it is optional to
            join her in the lunch.  Kiet reminds her that he has some plans
            of his own.  But he knows she will do just fine.

             The evening continues talking about her cousins and uncles.
           Sharing stories and talking about her dad.

             Arawn asks again about that day of the fire.

             Arawn shook his head. "That's not where I was going with
           this, though it may for the defense if we get that far. I was
           trying to determine if anything odd went on that day, if
           anyone might have done something to keep you away from your
           father the day of his death. Perhaps it's just coincidence
           but thought I'd ask just in case."

             Z'leyra explains her intent at the lunch tomorrow.

             When she mentioned explaining to her guests that she would
           be using magic to reveal the events of that day a corner of
           his lip turned down in a slight frown.

             "Are you sure you want to mention spell-use to them? Remember
           the Deputy's advice. I know it applied to tool use but it may
           carry over to spells, in that the knowledge of your use of them
           could sway the judges council negatively. Perhaps it's better to
           pull the knowledge for our own use and then follow the clues
           from there. And as a magically inclined community I imagine
           magic such as Akasha may have been used during the initial
           investigation. Not that I'm against you casting it but it might
           be worth comparing any investigative notes with your own
           discoveries. But that's something to be brought up before
           Silaius Duke."

             Kell shrugs, "magic is more accepted here.  I think she
           can ask certainly.  There are only 3 ways to find the truth.
           Her spell thing which I don't understand.  Being there with
           time travel which is highly dangerous or witnesses."  He
           turns to Z'leyra.  "Will you pay for the folks at lunch?"

             "Yes, I do intend to pay for everyone's meal tomorrow. Not as
           a bribe but as simple courtesy since they will be my guests."
           replies Z'leyra to Kell.

           Corona and another volunteer to keep watch. "

             Pyan goes to Z'leyra and says,  "I will volunteer  to keep
           watch."  He takes a seat on a 2 chair table by the partition.

             Z'leyra nods to the hunter and continues.  "No. I don't know
           what, if any, connections she has. I wouldn't be surprised if
           they hear of my return. But that isn't necessarily bad.  Many
           folks get caught not because of crime, but because they were
           caught trying to cover it up."

             "I hope that I am treading carefully. Were I not, I would
           have come alone and there would be no one to watch my back or
           ask questions if something happened to me."

             "As I recall I was practicing the Levitation spell. I didn't
           keep track of who was in and out of the lab and no questions
           were asked about it. It is unlikely that anyone will be a
           reliable witness to my presence from that long ago. I had no
           motive and if I was guilty of something why would I be the one
           dredging up this past history?"

           [Full Moon Inn - Tavern]
           [Time: 8:22 pm]

             Almost two hours later and the 9th great story on Tiren ends.
           The time that he uncovered a great Dwarven mine in the mountains
           north of Donara before he had a family.  The Dwarves had long
           since forgotten the mine as it was tapped out.  But that wasn't
           the point.  It was a great find for the school to study how
           mining and ore processing is done by the dwarves.  There were
           even hints or theories of how the small men made their special
           pickets for mining.

             Now the place has thinned out and the juggler and dancer has
           finished his work.  The group begins to either relax out back
           in the garden or the rooms.  The curfew is not for a few hours
           but even in a garden it is allowed all hours of the night.

             During the great plaque that rocked the city long ago the
           council had to start the curfew to prevent spread of the
           disease.  Most believed that students who caroused in taverns
           and brothels spread it faster.  So to cut down on those
           off hour activities the curfew was made.

             Z'leyra heads up to her room to think and remember.  She
           decides to lay down for a short while and weighs out her entire
           set of options.

           [Full Moon Inn - Tavern]
           [Time: 10:39 pm]

             Z'leyra wakes up not even knowing she fell asleep..  She
           decides to walk the halls.  She needs to get out of this
           place.   She makes her way down stairs and to the front
           door.  Slipping into the darkness she calls Corona.  Both
           head down the street to a small patch of woods.

             She sits down on the cool ground and watches the stars
           glitter above.  She can't even talk to Corona as she could
           with Fisherking.  Corona has no clue of what ever came down
           here.  Here with a group of friends and her Tonah she feels
           alone in the darkness.

             The Healer stands and begins to strip placing her clothing
           on a tree log.  Standing naked she changes into eagle form
           and takes to the sky.  Both eagles now soar through the
           dark skies over the city.  She can see groups of students
           going from libraries to their homes.  She watches Constables
           patrolling the dark streets.  From above the city seems so
           peaceful and quiet.  A nexus of learning it is indeed but
           it is political and at times culture barbaric.  Maybe instead
           of a healing school at home maybe she should come here to teach
           the city some manners on how to deal with strangers and of course
           her kind. But that would take decades of time to fix.  If Hayna
           is just a sample there is little hope.

             Like an avenging angel the eagle who is Z'leyra decides it is
           time to return.   Landing she gathers her clothes.  From the
           bushes she hears faint voices as she dresses.  She soon realizes
           it sounds like two young boys talking about her.  They might
           have snuck out from their homes or the inn for some fun.  She
           doesn't care what they saw in this place it is a area of learning
           and the human body is art.  She ignores the boys and walks back
           to the inn for a good night's rest.

                                 -----------

           [Hills near Ticasi]
           [Decalis 24th, 1634TH]

           [Full Moon Inn]
           [Time: 6:41 am]

             The party joins up for a late breakfast.  Z'leyra picks at
           her food worried about how the day will go.  The party
           aside from Kiet wonders what to do for the few hours before
           the big lunch.  Then one of the waitress mentions that the
           Crome Library is having a great lecture on Magic and the
           Military.  Said to include tactics on using magic on a wide
           battlefield.  Arawn finds this interesting if ever the
           group decides to help Jordi against his plans against Clima.

           [Time: 7:01 am]

             Kiet leaves the group as they decide to head to the lecture
           which should start soon and will last a few hours.  Kell finds
           this interesting but for hours?  Z'leyra explains the average
           length of a good lecture is 5 hours.  Some have been known to
           last 13 hours.  That one was given by the Master Scholar
           himself on Navigation and great map making.

           [Time: 7:25 am]

             Those who stay with arrive at the library just in time for
           it the lecture to start.  The group stares at the three story
           library.  Now this is a library.  Back home it is just one
           floor and mostly Marentia province books.  Kaylle would go
           nuts here if he saw it.  Z'leyra has seen it before but
           others have not.  She explains there are books from as far
           west as Fomoria to as far east as Katai.  One nice thing
           about a port city is books can come in faster by sea than
           on land.  A scholar could spend years in this place and not
           even crack many of the books.

             Z'leyra does notice something in the center of the library
           that is new.  There are a dozen students moving back and forth
           around a large oval thing with a square cabinet looking thing
           under it.  Looks like it is made from wood and leather.  Students
           are coming back and forth with stacks of parchments handing
           them to librarians and what looks like to be a professor of
           some sort.  Z'leyra asks one female student.

             "It is a project from the Engineering school started a year
           ago.  Together with some kind of punch cards, magic including
           illusions it is to be a catalog of all the books.  I don't
           understand the system myself.  But the professor says it will
           take at least 5 years to complete.  If it works then it might
           go to the other libraries."  She moves on to collect data
           from the shelves.

             The group heads quickly to the lecture hall in the east
           side of the building.  The hall is large enough to house
           around 300 students.  Right now it is about 90% full and
           getting more by the second.  The group finds seats and waits
           the lecture to continue.

           [Time: 7:30 am]

             Kell has decided to skip the exciting lecture and roams the
           library.  The maze of book shelves may need a map to get
           through.  Finally Kell finds a librarian on the second floor.

             "Do you have anything on Ebony?"

             "For what purpose?"

             "Shield cover but if Ebony has any innate magical value
           or natural benefits?"

             The woman considers for a few long moments, "I'm not sure
           of any merits.  I'd go to third floor west side.  Section
           41-44.  That is the natural materials resources.  It is mostly
           for the physical sciences folks but there might be something
           there."

             Kell heads upstairs to that section.

             Kiet checked yesterday at the Jewel Crafting school how much
           they charge for tools.  But he learned from the clerk there
           that most are for student use meaning easy to break or abuse
           but not really good to last.  They might be cheap tools but.
           So Kiet heads to the market without his weapons.  He ensures
           his coins are secret and not easy to pickpocket.  But to
           be honest from what he say yesterday this city has very little
           crime if any.  Even the down trodden peasants see to have
           purpose and enough work to keep them straight.  He suspects
           in the south with the docks there might be more crime.

           [Time: 7:41 am]

             Kell looks at the books from every aspect from Asion metal
           to Zinc.  He figures a rock and mineral student would be
           in heaven here.  He finally finds the E books.  Sure enough
           there are two books with ebony in the title.  He grabs the
           books and places a flag in the shelf.  The librarian had
           shown that each row of books has flags to place where books
           were taken so when restocked it can be easy.  A nice system
           but still needs work to find the right area.

             Kell finds a table and chair and sits down to read.  He sighs
           when the books are in Donaran.  One language he can't read.
           Maybe he can get copies and get them translated.  But for now
           he can at least skim the pictures.

             Inside the lecture hall Unali listens as the lecture starts.
           She feels so naked without her daggers.  She even put her
           daggers in her bags in the vault.  Yes, she herself is a weapon.
           but it feels so strange.  Then again she sees students all
           around her some 8-9 years younger.  They are content oblivious
           to the dangers of the world like Climans or Vong.  She wonders
           what would've happened to her if she became that type of student.

             At the market place Kiet finds a Jewelry repair shop.  Not too
           surprised he finds a old man and looks like 3 students from
           the Jewel Crafting school.  These shops have it easy free employees
           who work as interns to learn and they don't have to be paid.

             Kiet pretends to look around and notices a nice necklace that
           must've been destroyed but now pieced together selling for 3
           gold.  Good work.  Looks like the piece must've been totally
           replaced after serious damage from a fall from a roof?  The
           clerk comes over and looks interested.  Kiet asks if he sells
           tools.

             "Certainly.  But keep in mind as with some students in town.
           If you are needing to add magic to the tools it can't be done.
           I'm told you have to make the items fresh to place magic in
           them.  So my tools are as is.  Come over here.  We have 3 basic
           sets of tools.  The basic repair kit is the smallest mainly
           for travel and quick patches.  It sells usually from 3 to 10
           silver depending on tools needed.  The next kit here is for
           actual design work but moderate skill.  Usually quality of
           tools is for personal use and not to be sold typically.  This
           sells for 12 to 20 silver.  The expert kit over here as just
           about every major tool you need.  As you can see the size is
           fairly big so hard to just place on horse.  Typically it is
           for home use only."  Kiet looks at the medium sized chest
           that is 2.5 feet tall and 4 feet wide.  "It typically sells
           for 25 silver.  These are high quality tools which should last
           moderate users a dozen years.  Heavy users might get 8-10
           years on average.  Feel free to look inside."

             Kiet opens the chest and examines the items.  The man continues.
           "It has every gem setting tool, majority of typical jewel tools
           and about 90% of the jewelry tools.  Typical some like side
           tools or accessories.  Special glasses or eye guards those kind
           of things.  Most of that can be found in most places."

             Kiet asks if they deliver like to his Inn.  The man nods and
           Kiet examines the case further.

           [Time: 8:12 am]

             The lecture starts to go into examples of using field level
           magics from traps to bombs.  Unali and Arawn make mental notes
           as they seem quite interesting.  The professor goes into details
           including one example where a unnamed army attacked a castle.
           The castle had setup a minefield of magic bombs that destroyed
           85% of the first wave of troops in minutes.  A slaughter of over
           220 men.  But he warns the cost in magic energy is great and takes
           many average casters to develop.  Plus it takes times for such
           things to be setup.

             Kell gives up and asks around.  Soon he finds a scribe from the
           writing school.  He asks if it would be possible to translate
           the two books into Marentian or Ba'ru.  The student says this
           is typically done as students in groups of 150 do it as some
           of their intern work.  It is mostly a matter of languages the
           students may know.  The Linquistics school also helps in
           that regard.  Kell finds these books could take a month to write
           for one student but if he doesn't mind 4 students in shifts
           doing it would be done in a few weeks.  Kell offers 6 gold
           which is far higher than quoted and the student says to get
           one of the head scribes to do the transaction which is in the
           front office.

             Kiet grabs the parchments he made on the first night in town.
           From folks he has chatted with there is a antique store owned
           by a ex history council man.  Entering the dusty store he finds
           antiques as old as 600 years it seems.  There is even a Fomorian
           rock table he'd love to smash. Not really made of rock but
           they are famous for a mix of stone and wood from the island.
           He bears not destroying it and browses. He finds pieces of
           Marentian furniture as well as a Ba'ru statue dated 200 years
           ago.  Prices are enough to buy 40-50 nice horses.  Finally the
           owner arrives and Kiet approaches.  He shows the parchment and
           asks if he has recognized the flag and uniform.  He doesn't
           tell the man where he found them on the flying island.  The
           man might think him insane.  Nor does he say it might be
           Lymrian so not to bias the answers.

             The old man in his 80s stares at the parchments.  He rubs
           his chin and studies them.  "Well I was actually a historian
           from the Prelom Period of history.  Basically this covers
           around 100 years after Donara was founded and about 150 years
           after from around 830 to 980 my expertise.  This uniform I
           have no clue where it might be.  It seems to have applets like
           those of Lemasa and Katai but also a touch of Choshai."  Kiet
           smiles at least he in same area.  "But this flag....is very
           interesting.  Explain the colors again?"

             Kiet explains it is white with a yellow diagonal stripe running
           from bottom left to top right.  A blue stripe runs from top
           left to bottom right.  In the middle of the X is a black circle
           with a white star inside.

             "I saw once in a book....maybe it almost looks like Djanesborg.
           Before their small civil war maybe.  I know someone who might
           be able to help you.  My friend Halleck.  He sells of all things
           flags.  It is his hobby but he actually teaches at times
           Navigation when teachers are sick."  He gives Kiet the directions
           which are across town.

             Kiet gathers the parchment and nods.  Kiet notices a bowl on the
           shelf and asks.

             The owner hands the bowl to Kiet.  "It is actually Lemasan
           from 400 years ago.  The pottery was made by a Dawanian
           priest or something like that.  It is rare around here but
           sells for 46 gold."

             Kiet almost drops the bowl and hands it back.  A nice
           bowl but could buy plate mail for that.

           [Time: 8:51 am]

             Fremea got a bit bored when the lecture turned to magic
           tunnels under castles.  That is boring dwarf work.   She
           exits to get a latrine visit.  On her way back she finds
           a group of kids being read to by a woman.  The kids must
           be 12-14.  Instead of reading fair tales or such though
           the teacher is reading about complex math relating to
           engineering.  She is surprised they are learning so young
           this stuff.  Then she recalls her kids back home.  Sure
           they are being educated by Etain but it is more a survival
           schooling than education.  Maybe she will have to get with
           Kaylle and get a better schooling system for them.

             Kell leaves the office dealing with the scribe. No younger
           than 18 and he must be the head scribe for this place. he
           feels much older now.  But at least he can get it shipped
           back to Sivas by ship.  He just hopes the information will
           be good to use for his shield.

             Across town on the edge of the healing school in the north
           east of town Kiet finds a nondescript store.  A small store
           selling home flags and decorations from plants to outside
           decorative swings.  Halleck is sitting in a rocking chair
           chewing on some kind of smelly plant.  The man in his 50s
           looks at Kiet with curious eyes.

             Kiet asks about the flag parchment.  The man stops rocking
           and studies the copy of what the flag should look like.  Kiet
           describes the colors.  The man studies it for what seems like
           five minutes.  "This almost looks like a pre-empire Katai
           flag based on the Namig Dynasty.  Very short lived.  But this
           circle...it reminds me of something."  He studies it for
           some more time then lurches up scaring Kiet to back up a foot.
           The man moves to a side wall where he has many flags from
           all over the middle world that are very common.  He sorts
           through the right and finds a flag and nods when he examine it.
           Then recalling another thing he moves to the left and goes
           through 4 more flags.  He turns to Kiet with wide eyes and
           forgets he just swallowed the foul plant.

             "This can't be....this is a child of the now extinct Samir
           Confederation.  It was a collection of islands far to the
           east even further than that vile Lemasan island.  I only
           like flags but don't have all the history.  When I was
           a kid I found a book in some library...which one I can't
           recall now.  But it talked about a Katai historian who
           found evidence of a nation called Lymria.  I never heard
           of such a place. But if I recall the Katai scholar thought
           it was some island chain some 1000 leagues from his home
           land.  But if I recall no other evidence they still exist
           or ever did has been around."

             "This flag..." He raises the parchment.  "if it is true
           Lymrian could be priceless."  He begins to pace back and
           forth thinking.  He begins to mutter to himself as he considers
           the options.  "..Wrathbane might know someone but she is
           so flaky...maybe that merchant..no he is back in Aratad...
           I wonder if Kayhs knows...yes..maybe he does..."  He looks
           up at Kiet and stops.  "I know of someone...he is a bit
           odd but his library is still open its very small but has
           many of the ancient things no modern student or even
           historian would care to see.  Most of it the schools deem
           useless.  Things like color of ancient coins to which
           emporors of whatever land liked to marry his daughters.
           I know he has a useless book that has failed flags of
           the nations. When nations were either destroyed or did not
           last more than 50 years...he might have some obscure book."

             Kiet nods but sighs at hearing yet another trail to follow.
           He gets the directions to the library.

           [Time: 9:25 am]

             The lecture is halted to give a midway break point.  Some
           get some water and snacks in the outside patio area.
           Kell sees the group getting tea and biscuits and joins
           them.  "Hope the lecture is fun so far."

             Having walk yet south again Kiet finds a quiet street
           that is mostly warehouses.  Thinking he is lost he asks
           a worker for directions.  Then he finds a small square
           one store library the size of a small warehouse.  He heads
           to the door and finds it locked.  He sees a man inside
           and bangs on the door.  The man is seen through the window
           rolling a small ball against small statues down about 10
           feet away.  He tosses and goes retrieves it.  He repeats
           this for like 10 minutes and Kiet bangs more.  Finally the
           man stops and comes to the door.  "Yes.  Yes?  What is it?"

             Kiet explains about his Halleck reference.  "Who?  You
           mustn't bother me young man I'm busy."  He tries to shut the
           door but Kiet stops him.  Kiet explains it again.  "Oh...
           him..that smack eating deer loving guy still around.  Kiet
           explains the situation and shows the parchment

             The man brings the paper almost to his noses clearly
           a guy with bad eyes.  "Interesting design of a vase..
           I have a book here on old stone vases from the Gom
           middle ages.."  Kiet explains it is a flag. "Oh ..really?
           You sure?  Maybe its a map to a hole?"

             The man nods and waves Kiet inside.  "I was just testing
           this game I read about in a book written about the Fierazi.
           Seems they used some round rocks and tossed them toward
           prisoner heads.  I don't see the merit in this game...but
           those folks are insane anyways.  So let's see..."  He
           uses a jewel glass to look at the parchment better under
           some lantern.  He then heads to a large sea chest and begins
           to dig around.  "I think I have a old journal....let's see.
           Ohhhh..  Look here.  Ever seen a walrus penis look at
           this..."

           [Time: 10:15 am]

             The lecture now goes into details on using aerial magics
           including animals with bombs, catapults with magic naptha
           and a odd set of flying carpets.  Zabyra would have loved
           to heard this.  Kell begins to snore until Unali nudges
           him awake.

             Inside the dusty ex-warehouse turned library, Kiet becomes
           very impatient.  All those days with Arawn do not help
           at this point.  The man whatever he is now been spending
           15 min talking about using insects to improve female fertility
           with teenage girls.  Kiet wonders if his skills as a interrogator
           might help.  Then the man pulls out a book and Kiet sights
           in relief.  "Ahh...let's see...yes!  I've been looking
           for this for a long time."  He flips the journal book open
           and reads some pages.  "Yes this is the infamous cook book
           for Acosha the Mad...he reigned in the Cerulean Empire from
           440 to 461 you know..he includes this great snack of .."

             Kiet hauls the man up to his feet and glares wishing he had
           his dagger.  Maybe he could fry the old man.  The man looks
           upset and startled.  "What its priceless work here...it
           includes..."  Kiet shakes the man forcing the book to fall
           and the old man looks down.  Then sees it in the chest  "There
           it is!  The journal you were looking for."

             Kiet drops the man and reaches into the journal.  He flips
           through it to ensure its not some book on magical cloths for
           babies who soil themselves from Xian like the old man had
           earlier.  No.  This one has diagrams of flags!  He hands
           it to the old man.

             He flips through the journal.  "Let's see...black circle...
           stripes..."  He looks up and recalls something.  "Did you
           know the ancient Zen'da used to brand warriors with color
           stripes that..."  He stops when Kiet glares.  "Fine.  Let's
           see....here we go.  This merchant in Teos had somehow
           obtained a shield that was said to be from a dead people
           called Lymria.  It had this very design.  Some 75 years
           later a scholar in Katai found an ancient scroll in the
           Iron City that a Master General..whoever that was...
           had uncovered a burial site on a beach.  It included many
           weapons and armor so it was valuable.  Here we go.  Here
           is the shield and then the scholar said the General found
           pieces of a flag.  It was a 3rd the size but looked just
           like this.  Which matches yours  The scholar believed that
           this was a site from some ancient shipwreck at least 500
           or more years before.  It was only found after a storm
           eroded the beach.  Hey do you know that there is said to
           be a magic book called the Hurricane book!  I want to see
           that thing.  It must be a great read!"

             Kiet ignores the man and asks about the uniform picture.
           "I'm not sure...no clue on info  but based on the colors
           and the shoulders...if this was with this flag of yours
           then it might just be Lymrian as well.  Would you want
           to part for it for my place here...many visitors would
           come to see it for historical importance."

             Kiet looks around the dust is so thick he probably
           hasn't a visitor other than rats in months.  He asks
           how much this might be worth selling.

             "Well for a place like here its priceless.  Donations
           would be very welcome to the schools like History  But
           I know some ancient Goidan flag sold for 50 something
           gold one year at auction as it was rare.  The uniform?
           Maybe a few dozen gold but it would be best sold at
           an auction where collectors could bid on it.  The council
           uses a auction house on Dirante street a lot of times.
           But they can't sell pictures."

           [Time: 10:41 am]

             The lecture finally ends and the group figures they
           have a bit over an hour to get to the lunch.  Kell
           suggests a stop by the markets for a bit and then to
           the reserved place.

             On the other side of town Kiet leaves the old man.  He
           dusts himself off and considers his options.  He could
           ship the stuff back but would need to entrust someone
           to get it to the auction house.  Unless he got a person
           like chion for a quick trip back and forth.

             Kiet begins to walk the streets and explore a bit.  As
           he does he notices a small school with students outside.
           The school that looks to have maybe 3 classrooms has
           a sign that says rope, hemp and line innovations.  Outside
           there are maybe a dozen students making ropes, lassoing
           and practicing on wooden cows, creating hemp ladders,
           making knots that a sailor would be proud of and testing
           pulleys with newly created fine cord made of a gray
           spider like fiber lifting up weights.  Kiet finds this
           a bit fascinating and figures this small school is
           probably used by Navigators among others.  He watches
           the students for a bit but does not seem to see any
           magic used with the items.

           [Time: 11:07 am]

             The group heads to the reserved tavern.  Kell asks Z'leyra.
           "You paying for all these folks?  it was a bit implied you
           might for their time.  There could be what...20..30 people
           showing up?"

             Kiet takes a wrong turn and ends up in sight of the Resident's
           Castle.  It is not a huge castle like King Maros's but enough
           to hold a few hundred troops.  There is no moat or major ground
           defenses but Kiet suspects the place is full of magical traps
           and defenses.  It is odd that a nation who doesn't tolerate magic
           would have such a defended site.  Kiet shakes his head at
           the double standards of life.

             Z'leyra enters the tavern to find it is already busy.
           The tavern could fit 120 people cramped up but around
           80 with good space.  Now there must be 55 or 60 before
           lunch time.  She finds the waitress and she directs
           the group to the reserved room.

             The side room which is in the west side of the place
           has large windows in the west that shines plenty of light.
           To the north a small fireplace is lit and is one of two
           fireplaces that are for the main room.  In the south
           is a long table for food and other items.  The large board
           room rectangle oak table can fit 40 people.  The room itself
           is around 175 feet long and 60 feet wide. The main eating
           area is around 250 feet by 150 feet.  It is a fairly large
           reserved room for a tavern.  Clearly the place is used for
           meetings or school purposes.

             The east side of the reserved room the partition that separates
           this area from the main eating area.  It is 5.5 feet tall and
           folks would need to get close and lean up to look over.  This
           gives about 1.5 feet open area between ceiling and partition.
           This does draw the noise in but it is oddly quiet as the
           ceiling skylights seem to muffle the noise somehow.  Maybe it
           is some architecture or magic.  In the south

             While the fireplace is in the north and table in the south
           there is only one entry aside from the windows.  IT is a open
           archway 5 feet wide.  There are old fashioned saloon style
           swinging half doors that cover the 'door' mostly in the
           center.

             The others enter.  Z'leyra begins to pace up and down waiting
           for anyone to show up.  Kell notices the south table which
           is empty is foldable.  He removes a section and brings in
           two tables to make a makeshift small table.  He waves
           over Fremea.   "Why don't we sit here.  I want to study
           faces of folks and we can do that here at this angle.  I'm
           sure Arawn will do the same where he sits but we can at
           least chat quietly."

             Arawn and Unali take their seats at the north of the table
           to warm up.  Kell and Fremea in the south wall by the 'door'
           archway.  Z'leyra  will sit at the head north end of the
           table so she can watch both sides of the table.  But she
           stands and begins to pace as a waitress enters and takes
           drink orders.

           [Time: 11:21 am]

             The first person to come to the lunch is Ira Armanth who
           taught Z'leyra dancing.  The woman in her 40s is small and
           lean but shows sign of decades of dancing from knobby knees.
           She smiles and greets Z'leyra who makes introductions.  She
           takes a seat.  "Seeing you on the street was wonderful!  So
           let's talk about what you've been up to."

           [Time: 11:43 am]

             The next person to arrive is Lira Snethess who was one of her
           Jewel teachers.  She shocks Z'leyra as she is also with
           Councilor Lental Vormon of the Jewel Crafting School.  She
           wasn't expecting a council member to attend but is pleased.

             Lental is a woman of grace in a flowing green dress with
           a superbly crafted necklace and rings.  But her earrings seem
           to catch the eye as they seem to be glowing gems from the
           island of Fomoria.  Such gemstones are very rare in this area.
           They glow a light blue hue but are not magical.   She is around
           late 50s with red hair.  But the teacher is in her late 30s
           and a bit plump for a teacher.  She is dressed in a tan tunic
           and a heavy brown pants.  She also wears a armband of various
           jewels.  The teacher greets Z'leyra and sits by the Dancer
           teacher.

           [Time: 11:50 am]

             Another teacher from the gem department was nice to Z'leyra
           but saw her as a less than enthused student.  She arrives
           next - Yalenka Narda.  In this case the woman in her late 30s
           wears a headband with a single blue gem inset.  It reminds
           some of the Fierazi shamans who decorate before war.

             Next two family members Lukra Harradra who has no kids with
           her which makes the others happy.  Z'leyra's cousin is in her
           late 20s and blond hair with green striking eyes.  She seems
           glum and annoyed as if she would not be here.  She nods and
           greets the others.  "Sorry cousin I could not meet with you
           yesterday I was working."

             With her is Z'leyra's, uncle the Navigator Arman Hammerhand
           dressed in a flashy warm tunic and tan  vest.  He leans over
           and gives Z'leyra a kiss on the cheek and whispers.  "Nasha.
           I expect a good day."

           [Time: 12:01 pm]

             Now Garr the medical teacher arrives.  She smiles at her
           old teacher and puts her bag on the table and sits.

             Pyan notices two other men come toward the partitioned
           room.   The deputy of the magic school and a older man not
           seen before.  The man in his 70s stops and stares at Pyan.
           He bids the deputy well and squints looking at Pyan who
           seems to feel unease.  "I'm sorry young man for staring.
           You remind me of someone...the same dark hair and skin.  But
           those boots."

             The deputy from the magic school who is just one step down
           from the councilor makes his seat.  "Sorry the councilor can't
           make it as expected.  I'm busy so I hope this is short."

             Kell hears the old man speaking and wonders out to look at
           Pyan who is staring.  Kell looks to the old man, "sorry sir
           he doesn't understand.  He does Marentian well."

             The old man looks back, "yes that's it!"  He switches to
           Marentian.  He repeats what he said earlier which Pyan
           now understands.  You remind me of the famed Hunter from
           the woods who visited Ba'ru."

             Kell crosses his arms, "I'm from Ba'ru."

             The old man does a twist to look at Kell, "how quaint."  He
           turns back to Pyan.  "Your boots are quite distinctive that
           have that same wood style he wore.  I can't recall what
           land he was from.  But I read 30 years ago in some book
           around here that he killed the To'rani off in his land.  These
           were very dangerous creatures.  They said they were so tough
           that that only a spot between the eyes just under a armored
           section could kill it.  This hunter...he laid down for the
           creature to attack then fired point blank his bow killing
           the last of the creatures to exist.  The book had a picture
           of him and looked just like your boots he wore and like
           your body frame and face.  Fascinating.  He visited Ba'ru
           and was documented by a Bard.  Was probably a myth.  Well
           I must get back to my school after a quick snack.  Teaching
           about Gomese battles today."

             Kell returns to his seat by Fremea and sits down.  Now
           Z'leyra has sat and orders are placed by a waitress.

             deputy Burl Tiesmorten orders last and sits back to wait
           for Z'leyra to start whatever this is about.

           [Time: 12:08 pm]

             Z'leyra stands and straightens her dress and begins to open
           her mouth when three others come in.

             "Sorry we are late."  Two males and one female smile
           and are dressed in warm but average student style clothing.
           Z'leyra recognizes all three and smiles.  Arloth Harradra
           who was a fellow medical student.  She is actually in a round
           about way related to her cousin.   All three went to school
           with Z'leyra and never expected to be since she never saw
           them yesterday.  Puul 'Legs' Faststitch quickly explains he
           now teaches in the Jewel school himself.  Lucky Rosto
           was not the best student as he liked to gamble too much.
           But he doesn't explain what he has been up to.

             As Z'leyra catches up others talk including the medical
           teacher and Arawn.  "...yes there was one time when we
           were teaching how to cut into stuffed kid bears like toys.
           A simple task with a scalpel but the students were green.
           Z'leyra cut in too deep and stuffing splattered all over
           the place.  She tried to fix it but then ripped more stuffing.
           out.  We had to tell her the bear was dead."  Arawn laughs.

             The other medical teacher grins, "what about the pig thing?"

             The other nods, "there was one time when we were cutting
           up pigs for anatomy class.  She cut into a pig lower than
           planned and cut into the bile track.  This bile spurted
           all over Z'leyra and another student."

             The dancer teach shakes her head, "not now we are about to
           eat."

             Kell studies the group and whispers to Fremea on who might
           be the best allies.  "Her cousin looks annoyed but the deputy
           seems like there is something more.  Like an agenda."

             Another man enters the room through the archway.  He moves
           over to Lental.   The old man leans down, "I thought I saw
           you come in.  Will you be at dinner next week?"  Lental
           nods and the man pats her shoulder and starts to leave.  Then
           he sees Arawn.  The old man with white hair looks a bit
           startled.  "Arawn?" He whispers very low and then shakes
           his head.

             Z'leyra claps her hands to get attention and everyone
           turns to face her.  Arawn turns and then looks back but
           the old man is gone.  Arawn excuses himself and rushes
           to the door but looking outside sees no sign of him.
           Z'leyra begins her speech and Arawn intends to listen so
           comes back.  Maybe the old man heard introductions around
           the schools.  That's probably it.

             Z'leyra had hoped to see her other cousin, Blager
           Armwrestle but he is not here.  Guess the engineer could not
           meet up as hoped.

           [Time: 12:12 pm]

             Across town Kiet finishes his own lunch that was average
           but nothing great.  Though the apple pie was nice.  He
           heads down the street.  Maybe he can find this auction
           house and get some idea of how they do things.

             Suddenly he hears a voice behind him, "there you are!"

             Kiet turns to see the old man from the warehouse-library.
           "You rushed out so fast   I wanted to tell you another
           thing."  He is holding several books and scrolls under his
           arms.  "Oh!  When you left I found this great horn."  He
           reaches down to show his belt a white horn.  "It is said
           to be made by some wizard who was in charge of some castle.
           He said it was made to cause an army to..well...to soil
           themselves.  He calls it the Brown Horn....why I have no
           clue since its white.  Anyways want to come back and
           test it with some friends tonight?  We are also going to
           track some mice at the dump and set them on fire..."

             Kiet wonders if he just fries this guy would he be just
           arrested or become a hero?

             The old man reaches up and grabs something from Kiet's
           hair which startles him.  A bug of some sort.  The bug
           climbs up the arm of the man.  "A friend.  I had him track
           you.  Anyway...the uniform.  There is a guy far away in
           a land...a Duke...he likes to collect and study uniforms.
           He might get info for you.  His name was Duke Valnon if
           I recall."

             Kiet stares at the insane old man.  Valnon?  Name seems
           familiar.  The party where Unali was center of it for her
           birthday.  There was a gal there.  Martha? Marta?  Her
           last name was Valnon.  Could it be the same one?  Kiet asks
           what land.

             "Marentia ever been there?  I hear the mountains south
           of Sivas had this crazy oak leaf if you lick it turns your
           pee a bright orange.  I wish I could see that."

             This man if you call him a scholar of trivia might have
           helped a bit.  Before Kiet could move on he sees a bright
           glint in the corner of his eye.

           Actions?  Comments?

           Next Update....Next email..

           GM: Ok.  This one is getting huge so I'll do yet a part 3
               to end this great update.  Stay tuned!