[pnpgm] Game Update #13 - File #113 - A cold day for Horse lovers

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Thu Sep 17 22:55:21 CEST 2015

   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/N;;tes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
W2R2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   W2.Julian.Draven.........Zabyra............Dancer..Normal/Human....Hu
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
W3R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3 Npc...............YY..Trihs.Der.........Warrior.Normal/Human....Ma
   R3 Npc...............YY..Reddof Nonnac.....Warrior.Normal/Human....Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #13 sequence (file #113)

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra answers Kell "In just a moment. First I will glance at
          their equipment." She then goes around taking a quick look at each
          bandits weapon and gear, looking if any is of exceptional quality.
          If so she will examine it closely. She thanks Corona in Eagle Tongue.

          She then mounts her horse, points at the bandit's gear on the
          ground and tells the admiral "Farewell, that equipment won't
          pay for a new ship, but maybe it will help offset some of your
          expenses." With that she waves goodbye and leads the party off
          towards Malnon.

          [Western Marentia - Plains]
          [Novehas 17th, 1634TH]

          [Time: 9:42 am]

            The Admiral paces back and forth staring at the bandits.
          She knows reinforcements may be here any time now.  Her face
          goes from anger to disgust to sorrow.  Losing men who were
          there to help her.  She also realizes though the bandits may
          have won in stopping her trip so far they did far more damage
          by tainting her.  Losing men may just have cost her new
          found rank.  But she doesn't care.  To be even this high
          in a men's world is a rare honor.  At first she thought it
          a joke.

            But here she is losing 2 dozen men who tried to save her.
          She will have to answer to that to the Primate, to the family
          of the men and to the gods - but of above that to herself.

            She turns to her fellow companion and nods.

            By now Kiet has been hoping to get a hold of the men but
          but Z'leyra has not given the order to do so.

            The last male survivor circles the sitting bandits and
          selects one.  He stands the man and throws him to the side
          to separate him from the group.  He shoves him to the
          ground once more.  This bandit who is not wounded at all
          looks grim but ready for this.

            The Bhamotin pulls a dagger out.  He asks the man
          which Red Shirt translates to Marentian.  "Who hired
          you?  Each wrong answer will cost a limb.  First the
          left hand then the right.  Then we'll start on more
          sensitive parts."  The man glances down to the bandit's
          groin.  "Then a eye each."  The man looks at a sword
          lying nearby which can do this damage.

            "No one."  The bandit replies.

            The Bhamotin picks up the sword and twirls it.  He
          grab's the man's arm.  Before Z'leyra and Arawn can
          protest he slices down and cuts off the bandit's hand.
          The bandit screams but Arawn places bandages and clothing
          from dead bandits to stop the bleeding.

            When the bandit recovers the Bhamotin asks again.

            "A man in a tavern in Sivas.  Said we were to send
          proof of her body...her head...to a place in Sivas and
          we would be paid the rest of our bounty."

            The Admiral asks, "would this man be there?"

            "Don't know."

            The Admiral and her companion whisper.  Then the admiral
          demands details.  The bandit quickly starts to rattle off details
          on the man who hired them.   Descriptions of the man and the
          tavern.  The admiral looks to the beheaded man of the aide.
          "We'll have to try to find this man who hired you.  Maybe my
          friend will have do some more good even after death."

            Unali knows Sivas somewhat but has some contacts.  She
          goes to whisper to the admiral to give her suggestions on
          how to track the man down.

            Kell looks to the Admiral, "wasn't that a bit harsh?"

            "No."  The Admiral quickly replies.  "They will all just
         hang.  So in the end it doesn't matter."

          [Time: 9:57 am]

            Z'leyra answers Kell. "In just a moment. First I will glance
          at their equipment." She then goes around taking a quick look at
          each bandits weapon and gear, looking if any is of exceptional
          quality. If so she will examine it closely. She thanks Corona in
          Eagle Tongue.

            But there is nothing of worth except for that damaged
          journal.  It could fetch some coin for the black market
          folks.  But Z'leyra figures it being wet it is not very
          worth taking.  Besides, the Admiral might fight to the death
          for it.  For any secrets it may contain.

            Z'leyra then mounts her horse, points at the bandit's gear on
          the ground and tells the admiral. "Farewell, that equipment won't
          pay for a new ship, but maybe it will help offset some of your
          expenses." With that she waves goodbye and leads the party off
          towards Malnon.

            Kell watches the others mount.  These men will be buried
          in basic boxes and plots.  Their value in life maybe worth
          a few silver at most.  Kell has no expenses like a home or
          family so can afford to help out.  He reaches into his
          coin bag and pulls out 6 gold.  "Give them a decent burial.
          It may not be much but it might help their families."

            The Admiral shakes her head, "I can't do that.  They
          were brave and died doing their duty.  Our people will support
          that loss."

            "Where I am from in Ba'ru one does not deny such a gift.
          It dishonors the ancestors."

            Reluctantly the Admiral nods and accepts the gold.

            Sorrel finishes taking names and notes of everyone involved.
          He lets the party leave knowing they will be back eventually.
          At least  a few have homes in Marentia so easy to find.  The
          non uniformed man checks the man's wrist and figures it was
          done only in battle.

          [Time: 10:14 am]

            Red Shirt asks Kell, "that was nice.  So is this a custom
          for Ba'ru?  I've never been there."

            "No.  But she doesn't know that."  Kell grins.

          [Time: 5:33 pm]

            The party reaches a small roadside Inn.  It is a basic
          tavern, Inn, General shop, very tiny blacksmith, barn
          and well.  The owner tells the party the nearest village
          is about 6 miles north of them.

            The inn only had 3 rooms so it will be a tight fit for
          a couple.  But some take shifts and stay downstairs just
          in case like sentry duty.  Z'leyra and the owner talk over
          room, grain and hay.  The rooms include a light dinner.
          In the end Z'leyra pays 36 CC for the group in total.  To
          include rooms, food for people - though some minor things like
          bread and fruit will have to supplement each person, hay
          and 3 bags of grain.  The hay is little this time of year
          in quantity so the grain will have to do.

            The rooms are more or less a window with curtains, door
          and a tiny bed with night stand.  Two people will have
          to sleep on the floor in each room.  Very cheap place it
          seems.  One will have to stay with the horses in the barn
          and one inside the tavern eating area to be sentry.

            After the meal which includes a rare blue fruit called
          penip is nourishing.  The party sits around the fireplace
          with 4 others in the tavern eating.  Not much patrons
          this time of year it seems.

            That night the party asks the tavern owner about the
          area and bandits.

            "Western Marentia tends to be neglected by Maren.  We have
          less enemies on our borders I guess.  So we are mostly farms
          and small villages.  The bandits are kept down by the local
          fort to the east.  But nothing more than a couple at a time
          might be on the road."

                                         -------

          [Western Marentia - Plains]
          [Novehas 18th, 1634TH]

          [Time: 6:21 am]

            The day starts out cool around 37 degrees.  It will eventually
          warm up to low 70s but not warmer. The entire day is overcast
          with little sun seen.

            Aside from a drizzle around 5:30 this afternoon there is little
          else weather happening.  The drizzle is cold but quickly ends
          causing the party to shiver a bit.

          [Time: 5:20 pm]

            The day is uneventful as the party encounters the normal
          road traffic.  Maybe 80-90 people on the road going back
          and forth.   Farmers, travelers, merchants, messengers and
          the like are seen.  But nothing to distract or disrupt the
          party.

            As the party rest to graze the horses, Zabyra notices to
          the south off the road just climbing a small hill are a group
          of deer.  They are maybe 2 miles out.  It looks like a female and
          3 small young deer.  They all spot the party but seem disinterested.

            Few minutes later the drizzle hits the party and soaks
          gear and people.

          [Time: 6:10 pm]

            Camp is placed off the road.  There does not seem to
          be any roadside inns in the area.  So a campsite is
          made.  A good place to stay the night as the next leg
          are hills leaving the plains.  The hills are a bit harder
          to watch for encounters as people can hide better compared
          to the plain see-for-miles terrain of the plains.

          [Time: 7:08 pm]

            After dinner of lovely set of rations and leftovers, the
          party entertains with music, stories and dance.

                                         -------

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 19th, 1634TH]

          [Time: 6:01 am]

            The party breaks camp fast as it is rather cold today.
          The temperatures range today from 38 to only 68 degrees
          at noon time.  The day clears a bit though it remains partly
          cloudy most of the day.  But there is no other weather other
          than the cold.

          [Time: 5:52 pm]

            The road twists and turns in the hills going west.  Corona
          reports there are no nearby roadside places for a good distance.
          So the party starts to look for a campsite.

            Around this time in the distance to the north west are seen
          3 men on horses.  They are maybe a mile off the road and their
          horses look to be carrying bags and pelts.  They appear to be
          hunters and eye the party as they move south.  The hunters ride
          slow then fast pass the party on the road and continue south.
          They seem to not want to meet the party as they ride fast over
          the next two hills.

          [Time: 7:18 pm]

            At camp as the fire rises, Kell glances to Red Shirt.  "Back
          at the bandits.  You two fought well.  Like one person?"

            Red Shirt shrugs, "we grew up together and just have this knack
          for thinking together."

            But Arawn studies the two cousins and knows a bit more than
          they claim or even possibly know.

            Kell turns to Zabyra, "tell us about your home.  I've never
          been there.  I hear...it can be a rough place."

                                         -------

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 20th, 1634TH]

          [Time: 5:51 am]

            Arawn is on sentry duty with Reddof.  Arawn patrols the
          camp as Reddof watches the tents.  The stars are occasionally
          seen among the clouds but the cool breeze form the hills makes
          it a nice night.

            Kiet leaves his tent and warms himself to the low campfire.
          Arawn notices Kiet carry a small bag and leave the campsite.
          He heads east toward a high hill he recalls the afternoon before.
          Arawn figures to relieve himself.

            Kiet climbs the hill in the darkness and sees to the east
          the first twinge of sunrise.  The dim blue light he unpacks
          his bag and begins to speak in a tongue.  He then casts a
          few spells.

            Kiet returns to the party in time to see they are up and
          starting to pack up.

          [Time: 7:12 am]

            Temperatures today are from 30 to 61 degrees as the long
          distance sea breeze from the south blows over the hills.
          The day is cloudy with the sun shining only a few times in
          the day.

            Aside from the cold there is a bit of rain and sleet that lasts
          only a few minutes.  It is enough to cause the road to become
          muddy and sloppy.  This occurs around 4:10 pm today.

          [Time: 9:02 am]

            For the last couple hours only two farmers in a wagon have
          past the party.  This section of road has little traffic
          for this time of day it seems.

            All around are hills as tall as a few hundred feet off the
          main sea level or as small as a dozen feet.  Grass and trees
          are much plentiful around this area than the plains making
          hiding spots easier.

            Corona is flying westward about 2 miles looking for any
          danger.  But suddenly the horses start to shudder and show
          a sign of nervous tension as if nearing a dangerous snake.
          Those who speak the horse ask but the horses only say
          they sense danger.

            Looking around the party sees nothing but maybe a rabbit,
          many birds and a dead small cat off the road.  Then a few
          minutes later Fremea glances up in the sky.  West then north
          and south.  Then behind her and then she sees it.

            Diving toward the party are 8 hippogriffs flying fast
          and furious.  They must've used the clouds as cover and
          the rear of the party as best way to attack.  They have gained
          the distance now only maybe 500-5350 feet away.  It is hard
          to tell distance at this point.

          [Time: 9:03:00 am]
          [Phase 0]

          Actions?  Comments?

          Next Update....Monday...

          GM: Since the party has encountered Hippogriffs (except maybe
              the new folks) no need to go into greater details.  You guys
              may have 2-4 phases before they reach the party you estimate
              (6-12 seconds).  You can plan for 2 phases if you want.  I
              will do up to when the first creature attacks THEN add 2
              more phases.  So if hippogriffs reach party in phase 3 then
              will do 2 phases of actions (3-5).  If you understand.  I
              know the exact time but you guys don't.  :)  All targets
              will be random (Number of horses plus number of people
              rolled up - a d21 it seems if I got my math up).  So there
              is a probably 33% or so chance of a attack on each person.
              So Monday I will do 2 phases of combat.  If you plan to do
              something and it lasts longer before they attack will change
              those plans to defend yourself - so a spell for example you
              may not have time to cast.  So 500-550 feet at hippogriff
              speed you can do the math and guess.  :)

              I'm off Monday again so will work on it likely early since
              TV shows like Gotham start.  :)  Probably that afternoon.
              Same for next Thursday.

              The map is blank below you can place yourself if you want
              in a particular hex.   Keep in mind horses are targets so
              those taking a second horse should keep this in mind.   Use the
              coordinate system and give me where you want.  If no info is
              given I'll do it randomly based on the road hexes.
              The road is Rows H-O from left to ride.  As for terrain there
              are bushes and a few trees but not like a heavy wood to
              seek shelter in.  Actually after doing map there are 13 basic
              targets.  If you fight on horse I will assume this is done.  If
              you dismount to fight let me know.  So I can add a marker
              for your horse (as it would now be a target).  If folks dismount
              then it will be more random targets.    I will assume folks to
              stay together (Rows 20-30 my guess Rows H-O).  But I may
              randomly place folks outside this area unless stated otherwise.
              Just trying this as a test to see if you guys prefer your
              starting spots or not.  Since they are flying beasts it will
              not matter too much per se.

              I need to update the mana report on actual current Mana.
              I will try today if I have time.  If not I'll try tomorrow.
              If you are worried on mana then consult it this weekend.  If
              not can check Monday.  Since 3 days have past folks should be
              at good mana.

          GM: Fremea - Being the only one to fly in a group of 8 flying
                beasts might be dangerous - actually Corona for him too.
                If you fight on ground let me know.  Will assume aerial if not.

              Kiet - I remembered your spell email.  I got to actually do
                 them after this is posted.  I guess Z'leyra did not
                 want the bandits questioned and you didn't post on it so
                 figure you left them alone.  As to challenge I guess
                 Pyan will not try to impress you.  So still want to
                 give the sword to Zabyra?  Though she does not actually
                 use swords just scimitars.

          GM: First Leg of Trip

                Slowest Horse - 22 MR (+25% Road- +6)
                Speed - 28 MR MPH/day on road
                Per hour- 2.3 miles/hour

                To Malnon -200 miles 100 by Plains, 100 by Hills

                Nov 16 - 1030am-7pm  - Plains - 15
                    16 -    7am-7pm  - Plains - 28
                    17 -    7am-7pm  - Plains - 28
                    18 -    7am-7pm  - Plains - 28
                    19 -    7am-7pm  - Hills  - 28
                    20 -    7am-7pm  - Hills  - 28
                    21 -    7am-7pm  - Hills  - 28
                    22 -    7am-240pm- Hills  - 17
                            ~240-Enter Malnon
                [Assuming no delays]

                This is mostly a reminder to me.

          GM:  hippogriff Combat Map

               /I\ - North
               1 Hex = 10 feet (1 Row = 5 feet, 1 Column=5 feet)

         1         2         3         4         5         6
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ A
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_B
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ C
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_D
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ E
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_F
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ G
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_H
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ I
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_J
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ K
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_L
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ M
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_N
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ O
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_P
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ Q
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_R
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ S
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_T
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ U
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_V
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ W
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_X
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/ Y

  Road - Rows H - O

    A -  Arawn     [   ]
    F -  Fremea    [   ]
    K -  Kell      [   ]
    T -  Kiet      [   ]
    U -  Unali     [   ]
    Z -  Zabyra    [   ]
    P -  Pyan      [   ]
    Z -  Z'leyra   [   ]
    C -  Corona    [   ]
    R -  Red Shirt [   ]
    D -  Reddof    [   ]
    1 -  Spare #1  [   ] Kiet's Spare Horse
    2 -  Spare #2  [   ] Z'leyra's Spare horse