[pnpgm] Game Update #17 - File #140 - Party enters Malnon City

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Oct 6 23:03:29 CEST 2015

   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/N;;tes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
W2R2.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   W2.Julian.Draven.........Zabyra............Dancer..Normal/Human....Hu
   R3 Panthera..............Pyandalgor........Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
W3R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R3 Npc...............YY..Trihs.Der.........Warrior.Normal/Human....Ma
   R3 Npc...............YY..Reddof Nonnac.....Warrior.Normal/Human....Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #17 sequence (file #140)

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          After the combat, Kiet happily walks around to check on...

          "So...what do you folks think?  I was thinking we should...
        GM: Ack. BTW I'm a detail man for the sheet how many feathers
            and hairs?

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 20th, 1634TH]

          [Time: 9:04 am]

            Kell looks around at the creatures and shakes his head. "Was
          it me or were they tougher to kill?"

            Unali nods to herself, indeed they were tougher.  The last
          set they fought long ago were killed with one shot some of
          these took 3-4 blows.

            Red Shirt checks his small wound and looks around, "what were
          these things?"

            Kell replies in a somber tone, "they are called hippogriffs.
          As you can see half horse and half of what are called griffins.
          Back in Ba'ru a hundred years ago there were hundreds before
          they were slaughtered.  They eat us and horses.  But they
          mate with some horses.  Looks like couple really liked the
          horses Kiet had.  I hear there is some culture far to the
          west somewhere that folks ride those griffin things like
          we do horses.  Probably some myth or such."

            After the combat, Kiet happily walks around to check on
          these weird bird/horse creatures to make certain they stay dead.
          He's, of course, heard of such things but hasn't seen them in
          real life before.  Then he spends some time checking his horses
          and calming them down a bit.  They, after all, were likely the
          intended main course for breakfast today!

            Kiet does find the dazed creature still alive but knocked out
          by it must've been Fremea's arrow but he isn't sure.  He
          kills the creature to ensure it remains dead.  After that
          he tries to calm his two horses but they are too jittery and
          it takes Z'leyra and Arawn to talk to them to calm them down.

            Speaking of which, Kiet idly wonders if the creatures taste
          like chicken...they could all use some fresh meat, and some of
          it is already cooked!

            Kiet will then check on Kell, seeing to his wound.  If Kiet
          is needed, he will grab the bag with his healing kit, go over
          to him and start bandaging as best he can.  He looks at his
          friend and says "Your left arm, again...?"  Kiet just shakes
          his head and starts bandaging.  While doing so, he says with a
          wry smile "You know, if we just amputate at your armpit, you
          will never be hit again.  You would be invincible!"

            Kell glances at the healing herbs, "since when do you use
          those things?  Did they teach you some tricks?"  He glances
          at Z'leyra and Arawn.  Upon hearing the arm comment he
          moans a bit.  "I'm trying to imitate Cholan I guess.  But
          seriously they got a lucky hit.  I suppose we could cut
          if off and Arawn can regrow it?"  He grins but shakes his
          head in jest.  "We need to clear these things off the road.
          it will scare most people and they will deviate from the
          road making things difficult for them.  We should either
          burn them or at least clear most past that slope over there
          out of the sight of the road."

            Kiet stops and considers his efforts for the morning.  He
          personally severely hit or killed four of these things.  Those
          javelin throws were near perfect, and his personal plan of attack
          worked out better than he hoped.  With the exception of that
          spell...the Iron Skin doesn't seem to have activated, but it
          also wasn't needed this time.  Evidently fortune favors the
          well prepared.  He still can't believe Kell got hit in that
          same arm again!

            Kell notices Kiet grinning a bit.  Just months ago he'd have
          possibly hid behind his shield.  Now he is one of the most
          powerful fighters, at least javelin wise if that, in the group.
          "That throw in that one that came out the other side....nice
          shot there.  I'll not make you mad anytime soon."

            Kiet searches around for his javelins, cleaning them and
          checking them for damage.  They are pretty nice to have, even
          if the source of them is a total control freak.  He shudders at
          the thought of ever having to go back to the Dark Lands and
          their ruler. Fortunately, that seems unlikely.  Kiet wanders
          over to one of the dead Hippogriffs and uses its tail to clean
          off the javelins. The one not still attached to the creature
          is pretty messy, and takes a second tail to clean it.

            The first one is fine but he notices a fine line on the javelin
          of the second one that indicates damage.  At least it did not
          break though.

            Kiet gets an idea, though, at this time.  He looks around and
          gathers a few feathers and cuts off a handful of clean tail hair
          from the dead.  He has some idea for what he might use it for in
          the future.  Always remember the Laws of Magic.  He puts them away
          in a small sack and stores it on his spare horse.  Always consider
          the future, but stay in the present.

            Kiet has seen Arawn collect things and place them in vials and
          tubes.  Maybe he can buy some in the next city.

            "So...what do you folks think?  I was thinking we should at
          least drag these...these 'things' off the road.  I don't plan
          on burying them, however.  Also, those of you short on rations...
          might just consider what we now have before us."  Kiet smiles
          again and says "And, this is about as fresh as you are gonna
          get!"

            Red Shirt wrinkles his nose and shrugs. "Eating horse?  Seems
          wrong."

            Kell laughs a bit, "they are horse but they are also that
          other creature the griffin.  So think of it that way.  It
          is a good idea.  That burnt one that Z'leyra killed is already
          cooked and can be salted and stored for a couple days."

            Red Shirt pulls a knife out of his bag.  "I'm game to try
          it.  If we can eat just about any animal back in the
          woods we can eat things."

            Reddof also pulls a knife out and heads to the burnt
          creature. But Kell stops him.  "Let's get it off the
          road first."

            It takes 5-6 people to haul each creature off the road.
          Then someone gets smart and uses the horses to drag with
          ropes most of the way.  Then the bodies are shoved down
          the slop of a north hill some distance away.  It might
          create a flock of vultures but at least it won't scare
          the peasants from travlling the road.  If only Raban was
          here he could haul one by himself probably.

          [Time: 9:39 am]

            Finally the animals are shoved off the side of the hill.
          In that time some peasants and a farm wagon did come by.
          upon seeing the dead creatures they hesitate but realize
          this was a victory so hurry past once Arawn explains that
          is safe and calms them down a bit.

          [Time: 9:40 am]

            The last one on the side of the slope, not even a cliff really,
          is carved up.  The fire dart by the firestone pretty much
          cooked it up already.  With the help of the hunter who knows
          how best to carve up such a best meat is collected for tonight
          and a day or two for everyone if they wish.

          [Time: 9:52 am]

            Finally almost an hour later the party heads west back to
          their destination Malnon city.

          [Time: 5:49 pm]

            Corona reports no town or roadside inn nearby until after
          dark so the party camps out off the road.  The party shares
          cheese, fruit and the salted meat of the hippogriff.

            Kiet watches the others eat first then sniffs the meat.  At
          last it did not kill them so far.  He takes a bit of the
          meat and eats.  Could use a bit of pepper as its a bit
          lanky not real tight like say a steak.  But that creature has
          to be loose and limber to move and fly.  Kiet finally
          eats more and realizes it tastes a bit more like peacock which
          he had a small bit in Katai than chicken.

                                 ---------------

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 21st, 1634TH]

          [Time: 6:02 am]

            The party starts to stir as the first bit of twilight shows.
          Arawn is already up and staring at the campfire.  Some notice
          he seems a bit on edge for some reason.

            The party set knowing they may have 35-40 more miles into
          the hills before reaching the city.  The day is mostly
          partly cloudy.   It is a very cool day with temperatures
          ranging from 28 to 57 degrees.  It is obvious winter is coming
          soon.

          [Time: 8:17 am]

            It starts to snow and the wind picks up.   Warm jackets and
          cloaks are worn to keep up the cold.  For those with light
          warm clothing some use blankets to wrap up while on the horse.

          [Time: 10:22 am]

            After 2 hours it finally stops snowing.  In the end about
          16 inches of snow covers the ground.  Most of it in the
          first hour.  The road is covered up but Corona helps guide
          the party through the hills using his memory as best he can.

          [Time: 4:33 pm]

            By now the snow has melted or at least puddled up to show
          the road more clearly.  Together with locals who are going
          from town to town the party gets directions of they go off
          the road.

          [Time: 6:21 pm]

            Corona guides the party a bit further as twilight starts.
          He reports another mile over the hill is a roadside inn.
          There the party warms up to the fire as a stable boy takes
          the horses.  Reddof guards the horses to ensure packs
          are not taken by the stable boy until the party gets a room.

            The Inn Keeper gets the horses hay and some grain with
          only a few last apples and carrots they have.  The snow
          gave grazing a issue so they are hungry.

            The Inn Keeper only has 2 common rooms.  It should be
          enough for 5 each to stay.  It is a basic cheap room
          with no bed due to space.  But at least it is warm and
          inside from the dampness.

                                 ---------------

          [Western Marentia - Hills]
          [Novehas 22nd, 1634TH]

          [Time: 6:18 am]

            Most of the party start to stir and the lucky one on
          sentry duty in the stables comes to warm up at the
          fire as breakfast is started.

            The night before the talk was of mostly local news and
          boring farm reports.  Seems Miss Landry got a new suitor
          who visited while she was sewing.  Exciting.  But the
          next report word comes in from a traveler that the local
          road bandits may have been stopped by the Marentians at
          the fort.  It seems the credit must've gone to the local
          fort guards not the party.

            The party eats and sets back on the road.

          [Time: 4:02 pm]

            The first sight of Malnon is seen in the distance.  The
          city margins begins to dot the landscape with small buildings
          and farms.

            The air of the coast can be smelt as the party moves closer.

          [Time: 4:40 pm]

            The party is now only feet from entering the east gate
          of Malnon city.  A city of around 25,000 with a vibrant port
          and manufacturing centers.

          Actions?  Comments?

          Next Update....Monday

          GM: A day early but I might as well get it out now.  Consider
              this the Friday update.  Next I will do Mondays.  I
              will start it Monday noon EST.  Let me know what you guys
              want to do in the city before leaving in the morning.  You
              have maybe 2 hours of light before night.  I will assume
              Z'leyra will pay for the last 2 Roadside Inns and Food there
              and in the city.  If not Z'leyra let me know.  If a person
              wants their own room let me know.  In the city there should
              be enough places for each a room.  Next update unless tons
              to do in city, will start second leg of trip.

          GM: Hippogriff Meat - So who takes the meat? I will assume
                everyone will eat it if not let me know.  It will
                last that night and the next day for lunch.  Then you
                will be in Malnon so can discard it or sell it.
                Got about 45 FP of meat from the burnt one.   Might
                have around 5-6 FP of it left by entering Malnon.

          GM: Files updated now on website -

              Mana/Experience Report - This is updated as of entering
                the city.  Except for Arawn/Z'leyra Mana (see below).
                This includes the combat experience and such.  Includes
                any gear changes or skill changes.  Damage to those
                wounded not listed until I figure out the healing.
                Consult this link for info on experience.

              Adventure #7 Timeline - File updated.  Includes a short
                 timeline for notes so I can add to master timeline later.

                 * Food - If rations or food then removed from sheet.
                   Food might include the hippogriff meat.  If H)otel
                   code is listed then ate there for main requirement.
                   At the last column it shows total rations (day wise
                   so if eat 2fp per day then 10 fp) consumed.  Then
                   I list the # of Food Points left.  If 0 then you are empty.
                   A reminder food may need to be obtained (Rations, etc).

                 * Horse Food- Next section is horse obtained.  This is the
                     total FP ate for the horse.  This includes grazing or
                     grain.  Generally if eat 3 then in good shape.  If
                     below then they are ok but in long term they can get
                     sick.  Some days one graze 0.4 not even a half fp
                     which means that horse starved.  But if at a inn they
                     may have over eat.  I'm keeping a note on what horses
                     are worse off so if they need to die during trip.  This
                     is why grazing is never a perfect solution without
                     grain and such.  Right now based on this data 2-3 are
                     in moderate shape and a few are in worse shape.
                     Very last column is how much Grain is left if person
                     takes grain.

                 *   IBT - Points have been given in this section to each
                     sheet. Results of these are in the Mana/Experience
                     chart for any EL changes.  Looks like 2 characters
                     never gave me IBT info.  :<

          GM: Zabyra - Got 1 more day then should learn Sword.  So you
                can continue to learn more or other skills.

          GM: Wounds - As of Hippogriff Combat

                  Player  Damage Level     Note
                 Kell      20% [Light]  Given First Aid by Kiet
                 Red Shirt 15% [Light]
                 Reddof    62% [Heavy]
                 Fremea    21% [Light]

          GM: Healing - We should figure out a sop for healing.

                Player    Skill      Spell
                Fremea      -        Yes
                Arawn      Yes*      Yes
                Z'leyra    Yes       Yes

              The core healers.  Arawn can heal mainly Elves at
              this point skill wise.  Looks like as a skill Z'leyra
              has better EL.  Spell wise it can be either or.

              I know you guys like to heal all the time.  But it
              is hard to figure out who does what.  As a group Arawn
              might do better in long run.  As a Healng one person
              spell Z'leyra might do better.  So you two should probably
              figure out a system of who heals who.

              With that said who will heal the above?  If none then
              will assume natural healing.  If you guys want I can
              do first come first posted.  But the problem with that
              is Alex/Z sees the update minutes after I post it so that
              system may be unfair to Arawn experience wise.  Once I
              know who heals who I will update your two Mana #s up
              to the Malnon city point.