[pnpgm] Game Update #65 - File #258 - The Gaming Hall

pnpgm pnpgm at comcast.net
Tue Dec 24 03:13:29 CET 2013

   HT Aliaver/Player    DS    Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
   R1.John Haight.......HY..Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar .. Ma
   --.Tobie Bonahoom....YY..Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry.. Fe
   R3.Mark Murtha.......HN..Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human....Ma
   R1.David Sanders.....HN..Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  ..Ma
   R4.J H Hooten........YN..Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human....Ma
   W4.Wout Broere.......YY..Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  ..Fe
   R1 John.Stowman......YN..Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human....Ma
   R4.Alex Koponen......YY..Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  ..Fe
   -- Npc...............YY..Etain.............Teacher.Normal/Elf......Ma
      Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Squirt (Ferret) Kell, Wolf - Will

      Private emails (not public actions) to pnpgm at comcast.net

      Game Update #65 in sequence (file #258)

         From Kiet: [Re: Communicating]
           Kiet looks around in wonder that nobody here seems...
         GM: Ack.  Forgot about that family group.  Your other
             post went to email.  But it seems fairly public so
             I'll add below.

         From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
           Fremea looks at the door for second after the rude ...

           Yes, leaving Etain outside to watch does make sense, but
           can she really trust him? "I would feel better if Arawn ...

           With that she flies up, even with her illusion still on, the
           best part of the headband. She will survey the top floor for
           windows or the roof for any doors in. Finding something, she
           will sneak in and work her way to the bottom level, unless
           she can find something on the second floor more interesting.
           She will cast invisibility on herself (EL2) before going in.
           She will pull our her knife just in case.
         GM: Ack.

         From Arawn: [Re: Communicating]
           Arawn stood in the shadows, a quiet smile appearing on his...

           "I can do so as well, though I would not be surprised to ...
         GM: Ack. I think Z'leyra has a solution that will not cost
             stuff to do. :)  Yes.  Mana powers do help.

         From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
           Arawn gave a nod, keeping a watch as Fremea and Kiet...

           "Be careful," he whispered to the pair. "If you do find...

          [Sepes 29th, 1634TH]
          [Location: City of Samma, Donara]

          [Time: 12:07am - Samma city, Donara - Tavern]

            Outside the tavern Z'leyra realizes that a sending spell
          is too short a duration.  It will surely take a long time to
          find the target locations.  She informs this tot he others.

            Kiet looks around in wonder that nobody here seems to have a
          way to communicate at a distance.  This was one of the things
          his mentor, rest his soul, impressed upon the young man.  Kiet
          adds to the discussion "I can send short messages pretty much
          anytime to anybody in our group."  He smiles a bit, as if a
          joke is coming to him.  "Given enough time and mana, we can
          accomplish just about anything."

            After some thought Z'leyra perks up.  She explains she can
          summon Corona.  That range is wide and the eagle can alert
          others and guide them through his sense of the summons.

            Arawn stood in the shadows, a quiet smile appearing on his
          face when Kiet offered a solution. The druid held a similar
          ability, though one that he had yet to develop, and he was glad
          to know that at least one other among their number had practiced
          such magic.

            "I can do so as well, though I would not be surprised to
          discover that you are the more versed," he said, his voice
          carrying softly from his corner. He stepped into the light,
          facing the group preparing to hunt down the building location.

            "If any among you are trained to influence the flow of mana
          you should be able to send a message along the rivers of magic
          that move across this world."

                         ----------------------------

          [Time: 12:59am - Samma city, Donara]

            The four in the group stare at disbelief by the rude
          gate keeper.  Fremea almost has a idea to kick the door
          in and take them all out.  But sometimes recon is better.
          That is one thing she has learned form Unali.  The four
          move away into the shadows a shop away in front of a dark
          candle and lantern shop.

            Arawn gave a nod, keeping a watch as Fremea and Kiet
          prepared to infiltrate the gambling hall.

            "Be careful," he whispered to the pair. "If you do find the
          thief perhaps it might be best to simply keep a watch for now.
          It might go poorly if a confrontation occurs within a place
          like this. We can track him from here and face him when he is
          alone." As they took off he looked to Etain, his eyes twinkling
          with an internal smile.

            "Let's see if we can spot other ways in or out of this
          place."

            Fremea looks at the door for second after the rude human shut
          the window. She didn't want to show her annoyance at being told
          off. Yes, she does look like a kid right now, but at this time
          of night, that should have been enough to make him wonder. She
          clears her feelings off her face. When Arawn makes his
          suggestion, she feels that annoyance again, only this time
          that she didn't speak up first.

            Yes, leaving Etain outside to watch does make sense, but can
          she really trust him? "I would feel better if Arawn and Etain
          stayed outside to watch multiple exits. Yes, we will check this
          place out first, as I am not letting this thief escape. Kiet I
          am sure can find a way in, or he can go back to the entrance and
          get his way in. I will be going up to find my way in quickly
          and quietly."

            Fremea removes her dress to give her wings free reign
          of the air.  She tucks the dress into her belt for now and
          she can wear again later if needed.  She flies toward the
          roof and circles eyeing it carefully.

            Etain nods as he sees the two move away toward the hall.  He
          watches Fremea fly high.  "She doesn't trust me.  That
          is good.  With what she has been through she should not
          trust anyone."  He eyes the Alfar for a moment.  "Including
          friends."  Then the elf moves away toward the side of the hall.
          Arawn picks something up from that wording but can't seem
          to place it.  He stores the comment away for later then
          runs after Etain.

            Kiet moves toward the entrance of the hall and as he does
          he suddenly hears the din of the noise seem to lower in volume.

            Kiet nods to Fremea when she describes her plan. He digs in a
          pouch first then walks over to the entrance of the
          establishment.  The Mage then knocks upon the door.  When the
          gatekeeper arrives, Kiet doesn't say a thing...he just holds
          up what looks to be a single  silver coin for the man to see.
          Should the man start to refuse, Kiet will 'perform magic' and
          slide the 2nd coin out from behind the first.  At the same
          time, Kiet will smell the air coming from the place to see
          if he detects any illicit drug smells.

            As Kiet knocks he can hear some shouting.

            "...You idiot!  What if that was the girl we are expecting?
          The last one sold for a high price.  The merchant used her
          that night."  A bit of laughter can e heard.

            Kiet shivers at the thought of this place being more than
          a simple gambling hall.

            "I'll...I'll go find them!"

            Kiet knocks once more but before he finished the knock the
          door opens fully.  The gate keeper stares at Kiet.  Both men
          eye each other.  The man does not seem to see the coin.  He
          reaches out and yanks Kiet inside even before he can react.

            "Where's the girl?"  The man a good foot taller than Kiet
          and about 75 pounds heavier stares at Kiet.

            Across town the three oddly matched trio moves through
          the streets.  Raban hums slightly to himself to break the
          dull silence.  Z'leyra looks over her shoulder and notices
          that Unali is gone.  The wizard stops and looks around.

            But almost a full minute before Unali had noticed movement
          behind her.  In her off time in Maren city she has learned
          how to follow and elude.  But this time she sensed and saw
          movement.  She slinked into the dark shadows and waited.  She
          watches as the other two moves around the corner of a street
          to the right.

            That is when Unali sees a form pass by moving a bit faster.
          With daggers drawn she lunges out of the shadow and grabs
          the form.  She does a spinning twirl to use her body weight
          to shove the form into the wall of some plant shop.  The form
          releases a gasp and Unali draws a dagger to the form's neck.

            The form breathes in and then laughs slightly.  "Unali?"

            Unali taken off guard releases her grip ever so slightly.
          Something about that voice.  She pulls the form and into the
          dim light of a street lantern 30 feet away.  She can see
          the humanoid form of a man with long flowing hair.

            "Of all the dirty streets in the world you end up here?"

            Unali steps back.  The man raises his hands.  "No hug
          for your pal Jordi?"

            Across town Kiet quickly looks around.  The smells are
          distinctive.  He heard the infamous drug dens are best
          in Teos but here this could compete.

            Etain moves to the left side of the building and then to
          the rear side.  Almost to the end of the back side they
          find a back door.  It is locked.  There are no windows
          on the back side aside from the second floor.

            Overhead Corona and Fremea fly over the roof.  The roof
          is simple with nothing on it at all.  It simply has a raises
          ledge and a flat roof. No doors or windows or skylights.  The
          only thing seen is some vents for smoke but even she would
          be too large for them.

            Inside Kiet eyes the room.  It is a simple square room with
          little decoration.  There are maybe a dozen tables and a small
          bar on the left side.

            From outside the hall is about 120 feet by 120 feet and two
          stories.  Inside Kiet sees directly from the door are two doors
          which seem to lead to small rooms or areas both doors closed.

            To Kiet's immediate right about 25 feet away or so are a
          set of two long tables.  They appear to have games of chance
          with a spinning wheel with probably a marble.  There are two
          women in their 30s or so behind the tables.  In front are
          four men who look to be using the games.  But now they all
          look to Kiet.  To Kiet's immediate right and to the north
          east he can see what looks like a back door of sorts.  To
          the right north side of the gaming wheel tables is a wall
          that is waist high only.  Between the back door and this
          wall seems to be a small long table maybe for meetings?

            To Kiet's left in the west are the set of personal tables
          for cards or eating.  Maybe a dozen or so tables with a dozen
          or so patrons, all men though.  To the far left in the west
          side are a set of bar stools and the bar itself.  A single
          bar keeper is there staring at Kiet.  The other patrons all
          seem to look at Kiet or a man in one table.  Maybe this is
          the source of the yelling?  To the north of the bar looks like
          a door to some possible room.  but to the north of the bar
          on the north wall are a set of stairs to the second floor.

            To Kiet's left he sees a portly older man in his 50s sitting
          in a chair.  There are two men at the table that glare and
          Kiet recognizes that glare as possible bouncers or bodyguards.
          The portly man can't be the thief as he would be dead trying
          to get into places from stress to his heart.  He is probably
          250 pounds and mostly fat.

            Upstairs Kiet lands on the ledge and begins to circle the
          building.  She starts at the window with the light inside.  She
          notice it a bedroom of sorts with a simple bed, dressor and
          a small table and nightstand.  If this is a gaming hall it might
          have been converted from a boarding house or a tavern.  Fremea
          lucks up and finds the window unlocked.  She sees no one inside
          and gets inside just to the right of the main door below.  She
          moves toward the door not caring about the room.  She opens
          it and finds a long hallway to the west about 90 feet long.  Lining
          the hallway on both sides are 5 doors north and south.  She
          can only guess each are rooms.   But how many are occupied?

            Invisible Fremea moves down the hall with her target likely
          downstairs.  But could he be here upstairs?  Fremea can hear
          downstairs the noise has stopped.

            Across town Jordi asks Unali, "who is that big guy?"

            Unali smiles and sheathes her daggers. She motions for
          the Elf Diplomat to move on.  Both jog toward the giant
          and he growls.  "Whoa big boy. I'm friendly."

            Z'leyra grins at seeing Jordi.  Raban asks, "who are you?"

            "Name is Jordi.  I was part of your friends for a time.
          I know this one and that one." He comes closer to the giant.
          "Don't cross them they are fierce!"  He grins and steps back.

            "I am Raban the Bard.  If they are friends then I am
          friends.  Welcome.  But we are a bit engaged."

            "Yes yes.  Adventures.  Monsters.  Been there.  Did that.
          I'm here on business in town. " He looks around and lowers
          his voice.  "I'm in talks with some to possible get rid of
          the Climans on the edge of the Wild Forest at their vile fort.
          Hush hush and all that.  Where is Thig and that crazy Zen'da
          horseman?"

            Raban motions the group forward as they have a task to do.
          Z'leyra and Unali try to cover the missing gaps and inform
          where they might be but not yet why they are here.

            "Ben'dar married? Wow.  Retired as well?  A rancher?"  He
          shakes his head.

            Across town at the gaming hall Kiet stares as if dazed by
          the sudden lurch into the room.  The fat man yells, "where
          is the girl?  Send her in and we can start the auction!"

            "You heard Bogan!" The gatekeeper pushes Kiet a foot back.

            Outside at the back door Arawn and Etain can hear muffled
          voices.  But they do hear the word Bogan and something about
          a auction?

            Etain looks to Arawn, "if this becomes a fight do you have
          a weapon I can use? I have hand to hand skills but it has...
          been awhile."

          [Time: 1:09:00 am - Samma city, Donara]

          Actions? Comments?

          Next Update....Friday...

          GM: A good spot to stop. Small update per se.  But stuff can
              be figured out plan wise.  Below is the maps for the one
              building.  For Unali/Z'leyra you can also post if you want
              to for Jordi.  For those who don't know him you can use the
              website and do the pbem pcs link at the bottom and look up
              his info on the game site.  I'll do a generic overview map
              then a detailed hex map of the first floor.  Happy Christmas
              to all!  I may or may not do a Friday update.  I suspect some
              will be out of town or busy.  We'll see how it goes depending
              on replies.  Gee.  In doing the map the first one looks fine
              but the hex map doesn't seem to match up with the visuals
              but oh well.  No big deal.  It is like I say above to
              Kiet's right is such but in hex map its actually right and
              north a bit.  Go figure.  Issue with doing a large overhead
              map and then a more detailed map.  As always I am no artist
              so I could spend days on a nice graphical map but upkeep
              and work on it is too much work.  This is fast and quick
              I can edit in seconds.  Maybe one day if we all get the
              same program like the old mapcad or something.  Tried to
              make the hex the same as large map but had to reposition
              some table spots.  Lighting in the building on second floor
              is a hanging lantern every 30 feet down the hall.  On
              first floor the roof is 8 feet tall so the same with
              lanterns about every 30 feet around in places so it
              is well lit up.  Kiet each P on map is a Patron but you
              are not sure if they are goons or customers.  You see
              they are not well dressed but since sitting down most
              are hard to figure out if have weapons or not.  Note I
              accidentally deleted some Ps from the legend but not
              the map I'll fix that when I move them around. But each
              P on map is customer/patron.  I can read these maps easy
              but I did a non hex map of same map so it might
              just have the items without the hexes.  Some things not
              listed on maps like a cabinet or a barrel behind bar, etc.
              But things like chairs/windows not listed.  But they
              are there if needed as weapons.  Many of the patrons are
              just playing cards.  If need more details ask.

          GM: Spells -
                 Fremea Invisibility ends 1:11:12am

          GM: Groups -

              To track down Thief - Fremea, Kiet, Arawn, Etain
              To find building    - Raban, Z'leyra, Unali
              To stay at tavern   - Will, Kell

    [Gaming Hall]
     Scale = 1 Row    = 20 feet  /I\
             1 Column =  2 feet  North

              1         2         3         4         5         6
     123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456
  A  [First floor]           Street
  C      I-------------------------------------------------\/----I
  D      I    I~~                      @@I       I     I         I
  E  A   I___/I     *   *   *   *   *  @@I   ?   I  ?  I         :  A
  F  l   I                               I___/___I__/__I  =======I  l
  G  l   :### #     *   *   *   *   *                       $  $ :  l
  H  e   I    #                                K            $  $ I  e
  I  y   I    #     *   *   *   *   *                            I  y
  J      I---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`--/\---`---`---`---I

                             Street            K-Kiet above

       ` = Window all shuttered closed
       /=, / = Door
       I = Wall
       : = Window (Shuttered)
       ~~= Stairs to second floor
       ##= Bar area
       @@= Stage area
       * = Table and chairs
       $ = Desk/table

     [Second Floor]          Street

         I-----------`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`----`--I
         I    I~~   I                                            I
     A   I    /     I____/________/________/_________/_______/___:  A
     l   I    I                          F <-Fremea              I  l
     l   :    I     -----/--------/--------/---------/-------/---:  l
     e   I    /     I                                   I        I  e
     y   I    I     I                                   I        I  y
         I---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---`---I
                                                         X---X

       X = Window with light inside on.

   Scale = 1 Hex = 10 feet    /I\
           1 Row = 5 feet     North
           1 Column = 5 feet

          1         2         3         4         5
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/A   /\= Door
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \B   / = Door
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/C   Front Door  c37
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \_A/  \__/  \D   Back Door   E45
/  \__/  ___________________________________/E__/  \__/E   I = Wall
\__/  \__I  \I~~ *\_^^  @@I/  \_I/  \I_/  \__/  I__/  \F   = = Half waist
/  \__/  I__/I~~_P/  \__@@I\__/ I\__/I \__/  \__I  \__/G       high wall
\__/  \__I??\I_/  \__/  @@I/??\_I/??\I_/  \__/  I__/  \H   ?? =Unknown room
/  \__/  I__/I*\_*/ P*P_@@I\__/ I\__/I \__/  \__I  \__/I   @@= Stage
\__/  \__I??\IP/  \__/  \_I/??\_I/??\I_/  \__/  I__/  \J   ~~= Stairs
/  \__/  I__/I \__/  \__/ I\__/ I\__/I \__/  \__I  \__/K   ##=Bar area
\__/  \__I  \I*/ *\__*  \*I/  \_I/  \I_/  \__/  I__/  \L   * Table with
/  \__/  I__\I \__/  \__/ I\__/ I\__/I \__/  \__I  \__/M     1-4 chairs
\__/  \__I  \__/  \__/  \_I/  \_I/  \I_/  \__   I__/  \N     around
/  \__/  I__/  \_*/  *__/*I\__/ I\__/I \__/  \__I  \__/O  ^^ = Fireplace
\__/  \__I###__#  \__/  \_I__/__I__/_I_/  \__/  I__/  \P
/  \__/  I__/  #__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__I  \__/Q
\__/  \__I  \__# *\__*  \*_/  *__/ P*P_/  \__/  I__/  \R
/  \__/  I__/  #__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__I  \__/S
\__/  \__I  \__#  \__G  \__/  \__/  \__/ =======I__/  \T
/  \__/  I__/T #_*/  *B_/* \__*  \__*  \_$/  $__I  \__/U
\__/  \__I  \__#  \__G  \__/  \__/  \__/P$\_P$F I__/  \V
/  \__/  I__/  #__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \P$F  $__I  \__/W
\__/  \__I  \__# *\__*  \*_/  *__/  *__/ $\__$  I__/  \X
/  \__/  I__/  #__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__I  \__/Y
\__/  \__I  \__#  \__P  \__/  \__/ G\__/  \__/  I__/  \Z
/  \__/  I__/  #_*/ P*__/* \__*  \K_/  \__/  \__I  \__/a
\__/  \__I  \__#  \__P  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  I__/  \b
/  \__/  I_____#____________________/\__________I  \__/c
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \d
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/e
\__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \f
/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/  \__/g
          1         2         3         4         5
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345

   [Facing - Standing]
   F = Fremea       Second floor
   C = Corona       Roof
   K = Kiet         [a35] Facing NW
   A = Arawn        [D45] Facing Back door
   E = Etain        [E46] Facing Back door
   B = Bogan        [U23] Sitting Facing Kiet
   G = Gatekeeper   [Z36] Facing Kiet
   F = Gal Dealers  [W43] Facing West
   F = Gal Dealers  [V47] Facing West
   G = Goon?        [T22] Sitting Facing Kiet
   G = Goon?        [V22] Sitting Facing Kiet
   T = Bartender    [U14] Facing Kiet
   P = Patron       [V45] Facing Dealer
                    [V41] Facing Dealer      [W41] Facing Dealer
                    [J15] Sitting North      [Z22] Sitting South
                    [a21] Sitting East       [b23] Sitting West
                    [R36] Sitting East       [R38] Sitting West
                    [G18] Sitting South

          1         2         3         4         5