[pnpgm] Game Update #187 - File #1271 - Pit Combat T1: P4

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Sat Sep 24 06:50:17 CEST 2011

  HT Aliaver/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     NPC...................Captain.Lin.......Warrior.Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #187 in sequence (file #1271)

       Post from Kell: [Re: Actions]
         [OOC - Woo Hoo! Finally some arm vengance! :) ]

         Wrenching his bloody spear free from the dead Vong warrior, and
         quickly whistling to have Squirt jump back to him, Kell then
         whirls and does a very quick look of the situation.  Remembering
         the layout prior to teleporting helps, as does knowing where the
         others are attacking.  In the split second it takes to do all
         this, Kell decides where to go.

         Rushing to the east, towards Caladan and the holey Lin, the
         merchant moves to engage that Vong and Shaper.  He uses his
         shield for cover while moving, and his first target is whichever
         Vong is closer, likely the warrior.  Kell will have to be whiley
         going against it one on one. Maybe some distractions or a well
         timed Whirlwind will spin things up.

         [ Assuming it takes more than 1 phase to move and attack the
         warrior and/or shaper.  If Kell has a clear shot at the shaper
         and his second spear is ready, he'll throw his spear at the
         shaper before engaging the warrior.  Or if the warrior present
         itself as a prime target, Kell will throw at the warrior.

         When engaging, Kell will circle the warrior as much as possible,
         maximizing his shield and minimizing his arm as a target.  He'll
         use Squirt to distract.  If possible Kell is happy to somehow
         trip/push the warrior into the pit, but not on top of Lin.
       GM: Ack.

       Post from Kiet: [Re: Actions]
         Kiet's standard procedures are to cast EL1 Entangles on
         approaching Vong, and EL1 flight (grabbing Zhou, if he's in
         trouble) if they get close enough hit Kiet.  Fly just far enough
         back to get away and then land, cast El1 entangle if they approach,
         etc.

         If the Entangle works, execute the entangled Vong.
       GM: Ack. Flight? That's a new one.  See it still is a bit unclear.
           This is why I don't just do magic for any pcs. I don't know
           if there are recasts or such on failures for example.  You
           say when close but that could be as close as 30-40 feet.  So
           not clear on how "close" is.  Everyone has no issue with melee,
           even Zhou, so when one doesn't it kind of hard to handle.  Also
           unclear if the flight is cast regardless or when in danger or
           about to be attacked? I meant to email you today but got
           distracted.  So will just cast the entangle on nearest enemy.
           Think it would benefit to get some CEP :)  Not a slam or
           anything just hard to figure out when one avoids melee.:)

       From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
         Z'leyra, seeing no enemies amongst the humans and thinking that
         they can be dealt with later runs to join the fight. Hopefully
         this will reduce the damage the party and humans will receive by
         putting down the Vong before the can do damage....and she will be
         closer to those that may need her healing.

         If there are open lines of sight for using her sling she will
         use it to send send magical bullets against the Vong, otherwise
         she will loop it around her wrist while readying her warstaff and
         join the melee.

         [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Mountains west of Pamau]

         [Time: 1:25:13 pm - Turn 1: Phase 4]

           Kiet gathers up energy for a entangle spell.

           Fremea twists in mid-air and turns toward Vong #12 which came
         from the south to join the others.  She fires her bow, giving
         the sleek arrow to impact on his left upper chest doing 4 points
         past the crab armor.

           Kiet pulls a rope length from his belt and tosses it to Vong
         warrior #12.  It lands around his legs and falls upon his boots.

           Strie'bog looks to those attacking Ben'dar but can't fire or
         hit him.  He turns south to see the ones attacking Farseeker
         and still has no good aim.  Turning west he notices the Shaper
         with no clothes standing near a smoldering warrior.  He aims
         and knows its a bit moderate range but fires.  The arrow hits
         her in the right arm doing 4 points of damage.

           Kiet casts the entangle spell and the rope begins to slink upwards
         past the Vong's knees.  Slowly it begins to climb and snake its
         way toward the warrior's arms.  Finally the rope bends and tightens
         around the unsuspecting Vong warrior.

           Raban ignores the Voxyen beast and tries to slap Vong #13 but
         the warrior ducks just in time.

           Unali tired with fighting #1 stabs forward again with both
         daggers.  She knows he will only need a minor wound and he'll
         die since already wounded.  The normal dagger fails to get
         close to the warrior but the magical dagger does massive
         damage as she penetrates his left shoulder.  the warrior is
         killed instantly.

           Farseeker thrusts at Vong #5 and stabs the warrior in the
         left shoulder tearing deeply doing 8 points of damage.  But
         the warrior seems to actually find the pain helpful and does
         not even falter.

           Chion steps past Kell and rushes toward the Vong with the
         smoldering leathers.  He notices the fireball in the distance
         fade away as he moves.  He swings his sai but fails to make
         physical contact.

           Ben'dar stabs with his spear at Vong #16 hitting him in the
         lower right abdomen doing 4 points of damage.

           Arawn glances east and figures those two can be handled.  He
         doesn't see where Lin though from his angle.  He recalls Z'leyra
         passing his side vision and decides to enter after her.  He also
         finds the two alcoves with human prisoners. He takes some quick
         assessments of the humans and their conditions but knows it will
         take time to see what is needed.

           Kell pulls out the dead Vong his spear and calls for Squirt to
         climb up on his shoulders again.  Drawing up Shield he figures
         now with Chion there he can't throw his spear.  So he rushes
         past Caladan to help Chion.  Running past Chion he looks down
         to Lin who seems to be slacking or something.  Kell figures
         Lin knows what he is doing.  Kell decides to finish off the
         oddly shaped and disgusting nude body of the Shaper.  He impales
         the Shaper just below the right coral implant that once used
         to be a breast doing a massive 24 points of damage.  The Shaper
         screams but amazingly doesn't fall down yet.

           Captain Lin looks up just in time to see the Warrior's remains
         of leather pants drop to the ground smoldering.  Lin shakes his
         head and realizes the warrior is nicely prepared for small
         breeding. But he knows he'll soon be dead.  With effort he
         finally pulls himself up and over the cliff edge.  He notices
         Chion and Kell there now and takes a few moments to catch his
         breath.

           Vong #15 and #16 both stab at Ben'dar but both fail to strike.

           Vong #4 and #5 stab and thrust at Farseeker.  Vong #4 does
         make contact doing 2 points past the chainmail on his left
         chest.  But the other warrior doesn't penetrate the chainmail.

           Vong #6 and #7 continue to move west on the southern edge of
         the pit area.

           Vong #12 with ropes bracing his arms growls in frustration.
         He yanks sideways once then on the second try breaks the rope
         embrace.  Still magical though the ropes continue to try to
         regrasp the warrior's arms.

           Vong #13 thrusts toward Raban and the amphistaff digs deep
         into his mid right chest doing 2 points of damage.

           Vong #9 from the south charges toward Will and thrusts toward
         his back.  The Vong flexes his arms and the thick staff turns
         into a fluid snake and wraps around Will's neck.  The tight
         grip, bit marks of the now snake head and the torn skin do massive
         damage to his lower neck and upper shoulder It does 7 points of
         damage to the woodsman.  The thick buckskin also seems to be
         destroyed by the rough texture of the snake itself, leaving
         Will with no longer neck and upper shoulder-bone armor.  the
         Vong warrior reflexes his arm and the snake recoils to reform.

           Vong #10 charges forward and comes alongside #9 this time going
         after Kiet which is nearby.  The amphistaff is thrusts but Kiet
         raises his buckler in time to block the blow.

           Z'leyra exits the prisoner area even though she can see the
         humans are in bad shape.  Ragged clothing, blood on clothing
         and soiled clothing show they are not well treated.  But she
         needs to help the others.  She sees Arawn enter and start to
         explore the same area.  She leaves the area and glances around.
         She can see Kell, Lin and Chion fighting a pair of naked Vong
         and Shaper.  She looks south and notices the new group of 3
         humans running her way past Raban's group.  She decides to run
         that way to help them flee from danger.

           Caladan turns to the pit and scans the darkness.  Reloading his
         crossbow he readies for something.

           Kiet doesn't like this turn of events.  It is now too crowded.
         Zhou has moved off north to help the 3 humans get away from this
         battle.  he could do a flight spell and get away but if it fails
         the Vong could gang up on him.  He decides to flee north and to
         follow Zhou.

           Will knows that if he flees Raban will have suddenly 6 warriors
         on him.  Kiet and Zhou both flee leaving Will do help out.  He
         turns toward #9 who just used that snake amphistaff to shred his
         neck and thrusts his tulwar doing a massive stab wound in his
         left middle chest doing 19 points of damage.  The Vong doesn't
         fall down but at least Will's throat is in shape to breath and
         the neck artery was not cut.

           The last Shaper just impaled by Kell's spear decides its is
         time to flee.  It is the duty of warriors to die but not for
         Shapers like herself.  She tried to get about 15 feet but her
         knees buckle under the massive damage.  She falls on her knees
         and her naked rear points up as if to dare Kell to do something.
         She coughs up some blood and tries to recover but her knees lock.

           The Voxyen near Raban tries to bite the giant again.  It makes
         contact but can't penetrate his tough leg leathers.

           The 3 humans that flee the Shaper battle near Raban move into
         the prisoner area A as if they know where they are heading.

           Human #1 continues to move south from the battle near Farseeker.
         Hoping to make it to the dark cave the party teleported from to
         get a good hiding spot.

           Zhou joins the three humans entering the prisoner area to
         see if he can help them and maybe others.  As he passes the
         small opening Kiet grunts that the man is entering some unknown
         area. Kiet knows he should help Raban and especially Will as he
         can see blood on his neck but that foul Zhou could get into
         trouble.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update....Monday..

         GM: Interesting phase.  Glad I didn't do 2.  Will let folks
             react to new threats.  I do know at least 2 Vong are in
             some limbo so they didn't act.  I need to reconfirm some
             notes and coordinates for each Vong.  So didn't move them
             action wise.  Good for the party.  But no errors for the
             players.  Will work on 2 updates Monday.  Some good player
             rolls but a couple good Vong rolls as well. :<  A day
             later but ran out of time last night.

         GM: Mana/experience chart updated from last update (not this one).
             highlights include Farseeker +1 CEL (can imagine he's even
             better!).  Caladan +1 MEL and a few other things.  All
             on the chart have been updated to sheets.

         GM: The Abyss Map -

             1 Row    = 6 feet
             1 Column = 3 feet

                  1         2         3         4         5
         12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
        I--------------------------------------------------I
        I%%%%%%   %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%I A
        I%%%   B %%%%%%%%%%%                 +%%%%%%%%%%%%%I B
        I%%%%%  B  %%%%%%%%   S   ____            %%%%%%%%%I C
        I%%%%%%    %%%%%%%+      /    \        V     [  C  I D
        I%%%%%%%          HV  __/      \___    VB  U [     I E
        I%%%%%%%     C   __LK/             \____   S  %%%%%I F
        I    %%%%  _____/                       \    +%%%%%I G
        I A %% E Z /                             :    %%%%%I H
        I         /                              : FV %%%%%I I
        I%%%%%   :                               : V %%%%%%I J
        I%%%%+   :                               :   + %%%%I K
        I%%%%+ V :                               :    %%%%%I L
        I%%%%RVW :          The Pit of           :    %%%%%I M
        I%%%%VVVV:                               :     %%%%I N
        I%%%%    :             bodies            :     %%%%I O
        I%%%%    :                               :       %%I P
        I%%%     :                               :    %%%%%I Q
        I%%@     :                               :    +%%%%I R
        I%%%     :___                      ______:    %%%%%I S
        I%%%%        \            ________/            @%%%I T
        I%%%%%%       \___       /              H    %%%%%%I U
        I%%%%%            \_____/                     %%%%%I V
        I%%%%%%%+          VV     S            +%%%   %%%%%I W
        I%%%%%%%%%                             %%%%%%%%%%%%I X
        I%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%I Y
        I--------------------------------------------------I
                  1         2         3         4         5
         12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890

  Details:
    Pit: 50-60 feet deep in most places.  Minor lichen allows some light
         from below.  There are maybe 100-150 bodies.  There are three
         times that in estimated body parts.
    @ - Perch like area, 20 feet off ground, possible wall ladder below
    A, B = Possible mini cave areas
    C = Possible doorway? '['= Door
    % = Rock wall, cave wall
  Ceiling = 60-80 feet above pit top.

    + = Torch B38, D18, G45, K5, K45, R46, W18, W39
        Torches are about 15 wide light areas so about 3 rows or 6 columns

  V = Vong Warrior clearly with weapons, armor
  O = Vong outcast? No armor so must be them.
  S = Shaper females, gown so no full length armor
  H = Humans
  ` = Voxyen animals I7

  Each V,S,O, H is a single Vong or Human on the map

  Vong Warrior
     V - D43 - #1 - Dead           V - F45 - #2 - Dead
     V - E18 - #3 - Dead           V - J43 - #4 -
     V - I44 - #5 -                V - W19 - #6 -
     V - W20 - #7 -                V - N6  - #8 -
     V - N7  - #9 -                V - N8  - #10-
     V - N5  - #11-                V - L7  - #12-
     V - N6  - #13-                V - E9  - #14-
     V - D39 - #15-                V - E39 - #16-
     V - ??? - #?? - Unknown others

  Vong Shapers
     S - M6  - #1 - Dead           S - I42 - #2 - Dead
     S - W26 - #3 -                S - E20 - #4 -

  Voxyen
     + - C22 - #1                  + -     - Dead

  Outcasts
     O -     - #1 - Dead           O - E18 - #2 - Dead
     O - F19 - #3 - Dead

  Humans [Sex/Age estimates] [3 off map now]
     H - U40 - #1 [  Male c40s]    H -     - I8 [Fenale c20s]
     H -     - #3 [  Male c20s]    H -     - #4 [  Male c30s]

  Player Positions
     A - Arawn      [E9 ]          B - Ben'dar    [E40]
     C - Caladan    [F13]          H - Chion      [H10]
     F - Farseeker  [I43]          K - Kell       [F20]
     E - Kiet       [D7 ]          R - Raban      [M5 ]
     S - Strie'bog  [F43]          U - Unali      [E43]
     W - Will       [M7 ]          Z - Z'leyra    [H11]
     L - Lin        [F19]
     O - Zhou       [   ] [Off map,
     f - Fremea     [M7 ] [Off Map, above ground, flying]

   -------Player Area B------------
    ###############################
    #### % % % % ###            ###
    #### % % % % ###            ###