[pnpgm] Game Update #163 - File #1161 - Distractions...

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Tue May 10 09:07:44 CEST 2011

  HT Aliaver/Player          Character Name    Type    Status/Notes  Sex
  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #163 in sequence (file #1161)

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Z'leyra tells Caladan "Thanks but no thanks. I will fly...

          When the captain is busy elsewhere she will mention to Unali and
          others her plan, go behind some bushes, strip, fasten on her
          enchanted anklets and spend an hour scouting around the mountain.
          Using her eagle eyesight she will examine it for entrances, exits,
          sentries, trails, buildings and other things of interest. Her
          tracking and survival skills should help in interpreting what
          she sees.
        GM: Ack.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Catching Farseeker's drift along with Kell's direct approach
          Arawn remaied silent until the captain was preoccupied by Zhou.
          "I'm willing to do so if that's the consensus but I have a...

          OOC: Scott, don't know if you have rules for it in place but if
          it's possible or otherwise makes sense to you to allow it, Arawn
          is willing to work with Caladan to assist/enhance the magic used
          to  summon a rainshower/storm for cover.
        GM: Ack. So you want to help rather than do.  That's fine.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          Kell is there too [I am guessing...] and he'll respond to Arawn
          and Caladan.  "Fog would be very good right now.  If I can...

          [Kell will do whatever he can.  Thunderhead at the top of the
          mount level. or summan air elemental to make the storm.  or
          whatever.]

         [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Mountains west of Pamau]

         [Time: 10:59am]

           As the group discusses their plans and prepares some already
         start to gather up their gear.

           Bill ensures his ring mail is secure with the buckskin armor
         he wears.  It might be a bit bulky and warm but it should give
         him some good armor for the upcoming battle.  He leaves his
         tulwar and spear behind.  On his belt, boots and elsewhere he
         stories daggers of various types.  ON his belt he places his
         bastard sword and places his longbow as well as standard quiver
         along his back.  At times he will wear his metal shield along
         his back until needed so walks with that behind his back. Keeping
         his buckskin clothing he removes his cloak for the first time
         in a long time  Inside a sack he places rope and his sketch book
         as well as a few minor items.  He attaches the sack for carry
         along as he moves.  Since he'll be warm in the armor also
         includes his water skin along his belt. So in all he stands with
         buckskin, ring mail, bastard sword, daggers, longbow, quiver,
         shield and sack for a light travel option.  He rests well as
         the weight is maybe 60 pounds of gear so isn't a burden yet.

           Ben'dar is concerned about leaving Tef'wo but knows there is
         no hope riding him in this battle.  Ben'dar who has been quiet
         has been silent watching the Captain.  Ben'dar is happy to don
         his Dragon armor again.  The captain notices this unique armor
         but doesn't comment it.  He belts his daggers and holds his
         main as well as spare spear.  On his back he places his bow and
         quiver in case he needs it though on foot his skills aren't as
         good as on horseback.  He considers wearing his wplf or dragon
         items but the Vong might not care.  He places one bag on his
         belt to hold a spare set of leather armor, rope and a few special
         items.  The total gear is very minor maybe 32 pounds at most
         so not even worth to care about it since he can hold 4 times
         that easily.

           Caladan replaces his normal warstaff with his magical one
         that should in the fight. He places his quilted and leather
         armor for protection.  Caladan places his metal helmet on which
         is a bit out of place for him.  He then places his composite
         bow and quiver on his back.  He keeps his normal clothing on
         including the cloak.  On his back he places his backpack
         with rope and other gear needed.  his gear is mostly the
         rope which is a big bulky and he can handle the gear
         but doesn't allow him much else to carry as well.

           Farseeker glances around at the others to see who might live
         through this battle.  He estimates 8 could see their doom
         in this valley and that's half the party.  But he hopes the
         odds are not that dire.  He dons his chainmail and secures it
         fully in place.  He places broadsword in hip and holds onoto
         his great sword.  On his back he places his battle axe as a
         backup. He glances at the great sword knowing it might not
         survive this fight as it is already damaged.  He has had
         this one sword for years so he hopes it will make it.  On
         his back he places a backpack with his space chainmail in
         case he loses the first one.  His gear is over 100 pounds
         mostly due to his spare chainmail but he can easily handle
         that load.

           Arawn places his Elven scale mail together to wear, after
         he readjusts it.  He places his magical sword on help, Elven
         bow on back and Elven buckler in other hand.  Arawn has to sort
         through his various bags to shift things together. He
         places a lot of items into a large bag to haul.  Including
         medical supplies, water, various magical items and even
         including books? Though he is carrying a large assortment
         of items it is mostly light items so has no issues carrying it all.

           Raban doesn't need much prep to get ready.  He continues to
         wear his leather armor, longbow, quiver, dagger and leather
         helmet.  He continues to wear his leather cloak and his iron
         gauntlets which has various jewels inset on them.  Some notice
         him tucks his jade necklace under his shirt.

           Kiet watches the others as he gathers up his own gear.  He
         wonders about Zhou if he'll joining the others or not.  He
         wonders if he'll have to protect the guy for the rest of the
         day.  He adjusted to check his ring and leather armor is good.
         He dons his metal helmet.  Places a fighting dagger or two
         on his belt. Then he grabs 3 of his javelins to take to
         use as weapons and spares.  With his other hand he grabs
         his banded shield for protection. He is discouraged when he
         recalls his boots are high quality and has no spare normal
         boots.  That means the gear and blood will make things not
         so high quality at the end of the day.  He places some minor
         items like healing kit and rope among couple other items in
         a small bag to take with him.  He is carrying about 40 pounds
         of gear but should be able to deal twice that much.

           Chion considers what to take as he has good supply of weapons
         and gear.  He argues with himself on the Staff but figures
         the magic will be futile against Vong. Though it would be good
         to contact the HE and watch it would get in the way. He ensures
         the chaimail is secure and clean.  He dons his full helmet and
         sword on his hip  But his main weapon the Sai is placed on his
         belt.  He places his repeating crossbow and ammo on his back
         in case he needs them.  He continues to wear his cloak, magical
         ring, amulet and magic belt. He ties on a very small bag of
         minor items including his shamanic materials and water but
         not very much stuff.  Even though the chainmail is the bulk
         of the 50 pounds he wears only another 20 more pounds of gear.
         But that 70 pounds of gear is easy for him to haul.

           Kell ensures his scale mail is in order and dons his metal
         helmet.  He ensures the daggers and tulwar are placed in
         the belt and sheath.  He gathers up 2 of his spears and wears
         his banded shield on his other hand for protection.  Of course
         the hat he continues to wear is very hard to hear with the metal
         helmet.  He continues to wear his normal clothing including
         his cloak.  He collects bags and sacks to age for items. But
         most of the gear is about 20 pounds so he can pack it all
         into his backpack for ease and stuff bags if needed.  So
         will help free his hands from bags.  He also summons Squirt to
         prepare him.  He is aware that Squirt could be in danger and
         likely killed before the day's end but is aware of the risk.
         He places into the backpack minor items including water, food,
         rope and such.  While the gear is almost 70 pounds of stuff to
         carry he is hard pressed with it. Though as he collects other
         things he could be at that point.

           Strie'bog watches Squirt and Caladan's firesnake watching the
         pets go back and forth.  He misses his own pet wolf but knows
         it would be at risk here.  He ensures the leather and quilted
         armor is ready for his protection.  He places his longbow and
         quiver on back.  Then will use his axe as a normal weapon only.
         He places a minor assortment of items into his back pack. The
         light gear is easy for him to handle and move fast.

           Unali decides its time to show her new fancy armor and changes
        into that while the group talks.  Of course she ensures she
         has her fighting and throwing daggers in various places.  She
         dons her full helmet but tries to wrap it in black clothing
         to make her more normal black clothing look standard. She then
         uses her large bag of items like rope and minor items.  She
         ensures her ruby necklace and other special gifts are in place.
         Her strength and good carrying skills allow her to haul the
         gear with ease.  Lastly, she places her shield onto her back in
         case she needs it.  But she discards her bow and quiver for this
         battle to know close combat will be the typical situation.

           Fremea watches the others prepare their gear and is upset that
         she has to cover her wings again due to the Captain.  But she
         knows her best skills are with her agile wings.  She is determined
         to cast off the dress at one point.  She ensures her Elven leather
         and Elven helm is ready.  She places her Elven sword on her sheath.
         Places her Elven bow on the back.  She is low on Elven arrows but
         has a good assortment of regular ones as well as a few elf shot
         arrows.  For the special arrows she places them in a side pocket
         of the quiver.  With a belt under her dress she positions her
         Elven fighting dagger.  She places a special vial along her belt
         so she can use it for good fun. She continues to wear her cloak
         as it can cover her wings bumps if needed.  She stuffs a few minor
         items in her small sack and attaches it to her waist.  In all her
         full gear is less than 20 pounds, which she can carry 3 times as
         much if needed.

           Z'leyra gathers up pieces of gear around her bog and horse.
         Just checks her chinmail and dons her dragon helmet.  She belts
         her daggers, magic sling and sling ammo.  She places her magical
         great sword in sheath and will use her war staff as her ready
         to use weapon.  The captain isn't blind to the things Z'leyra
         holds like her drum and staff with magic runes but he seems to
         ignore it for some reason.  She tries to stuff her medical
         satchel with her healing and magic items.  she then adds some
         rope into the satchel among a couple of minor items.  Finally
         she ensures her shamanic drum is in place around her hip.  She
         is carrying about 70 pounds of gear but can carry almost twice
         of that if needed.

           Zhou gathers up a couple spare daggers from horse and ensures
         his leather armor is not damaged.  He places a couple of his
         fighting and throwing daggers on his belt. He then uses the
         sword from his horse to sheath to his hip.  He ensure his cape
         on his back is tight.  He knows the cape isn't for show but
         can be a defensive help in battle.  He soon shows he is ready
         to travel light with the few weapons and no other spare gear.

           Farseeker closes up near to Zhou and shows concern.  "you
         aren't really going in there are you?"

           "Of course, I don't expect to be out by myself.  You will need
         the support and I told the captain we had revenge so I can't
         just be bound to hide."  Zhou crosses his arms and looks
         a bit surprised but doesn't raise his voice to be heard by
         the Captain.

           "Someone should protect the horses." Farseeker seems to
         grasp at another option.

           "Actually, I believe Tef'wo can handle that.  I plan to
         talk to Z'leyra and Arawn to get them to talk to the
         horses.  Tef'wo can protect and move the horses away if there
         is a danger."  Zhou looks happy at his plan.

           Farseeker shakes his head and realizes the man is determined to
         join in the fight.

           Captain Li doesn't have to do anything to prepare himself.  He
         already has all that he needs.  He explains his horse is in the
         north press of the valley and will take time to get there.  He
         has leather, sword and daggers as his main gear for this battle.

                        --------------------------

           The group discusses the plans to distract the Vong by hoping
         another summer storm will come about.  But several use the time
         to divert away and plan this own diversion.

           Caladan tries to suggest Z'leyra do her scouting in eagle form
         to ensure the Vong have eyes about.

           Z'leyra tells Caladan, "Thanks but no thanks. I will fly as an
         eagle and try to spot sentries and entrances, but flying with a
         cape? Please. That would hinder me and if the sentries did shoot
         at me I would not be able to dodge as well as I might need to. I
         would prefer to be able to report than to provide meat for their
         next meal."

           Caladan is disappointed that she doesn't accept the suggestion.
         He knows a small cape like Fremea's would be easy to use in
         her eagle form.  He knows the point is to show a strange sighting.
         With a simple eagle flying around the Vong will not react.

           When the captain is busy elsewhere she will mention to Unali
         and others her plan, go behind some bushes, strip, fasten on her
         enchanted anklets and spend an hour scouting around the mountain
         Using her eagle eyesight she will examine it for entrances, exits,
         sentries, trails and other things of interest. Her tracking and
         survival skills should help in interpreting what she sees.

           Caladan and Arawn speak of possible weather in the area and
         try to convince the Captain about their chances.  Farseeker
         tries to convince the Captain that Caladan is good with weather
         predictions.

           Catching Farseeker's drift along with Kell's direct approach
         Arawn remained silent until the captain was preoccupied by Zhou.
         "I'm willing to do so if that's the consensus but I have a feeling
         that Caladan may be the more talented at determining the weather.
         However, if it's possible, I'm more than willing to work with
         him to discover an answer," he replied, looking to Caladan.

           Caladan nods back as he prepares to move out.

           Kell also adds his view, "Fog would be very good right now.  If
         I can help I will too."

           Caladan places a hand on Kell's right shoulder and pats. "I
         appreciate.  I know you have some of that cloud spells but
         I think me and Arawn can handle it.  You may need all the
         energy for the coming battle.  Plus too many away will brining
         more attention away."

         [Time: 11:12am]

           "We shall return.  May time a bit of time to check if we have
         a chance of storms or such in the area."  Caladan tells the
         Captain.  "He also has good judge of this so will help as well
         as protect protection." Caladan nods to Arawn.

           Captain Li nods but crosses his arms.  He shows a bit of
         clear doubt.  "The storm looks like its long gone by now.  I
         think there no little chance.  Our best bet is to just wait till
         the sun shifts from the south end in almost an hour."

           Farseeker nods and points to Caladan, "He reads the clouds so
         well he wins bets in back home."

           Before protest can come out, Caladan turns around and nods to
         Arawn to join.

           Captain Li looks around.  "Where is the ...with that shiny
         sword?"

           Zhou looks around and fakes confusion. "Oh, she likes to set
         traps.  So the horses aren't in trouble.  She'll return."

           Caladan and Arawn move quickly toward the northern side of
         the forest clearing.  As they move they watch the scene to see
         if they can spot Z'leyra.

           The rest of the group goes over the Vong details the Captain
         may know.  He isn't aware of their bit of weaknesses but does
         know they are strong against torture.

         [Time: 11:20am]

           By now Z'leyra begins to scout the base and moves up the mount
         slowly to circle and observe.  She circles a couple times to
         inspect the steam vent but finds little detail from her height.
         Soon she begins to close in toward the cave on the north side
         but finds nothing like sentries or movement at all.

           At this point Caladan and Arawn watch Z'leyra circle the
         mountain bit by bit like climbing a thermal  At this angle
         and distance its hard to see her anklets so she looks like
         a normal eagle.  But at least she has passed the cave without
         any interference.

           After some fast jogging the Caladan and Arawn react the north
         edge of the ash field to turn east and use that area for their
         scouting.  Caladan explains that if the plan fails he can help
         out with his own plan.

           A few minutes later Z'leyra begins to reach the top of the
         mountain and watches the lip of the rocky surface show the flat
         area that Fremea has seen before.  Z'leyra takes about 100 feet
         and then closes in about 50 feet in toighter circles and closer
         arcs above the surface. Z'leyra scans the top as much as she
         can at her fast pace but only sees rocky around like a simple
         cave bottom dotted with minor rocks and boulders.

           Circling east Z'leyra dives up and then back down and does
         a final sweep of the top taking the full surface from the
         center east to center west.  She only sees a small bird and
         no Vong or even a roll of rocks she dives back toward the forest
         and to her spot to redress.

         [Time: 11:31am]

           Caladan looks toward the eagle and then both stare at the
         top as much as they can from their angle as well as the cave
         on the north side.  After 3 minutes they no long spot Z'leyra
         and as well as no Vong.

           "So either proves they are blind or not there."  Caladan begins
         to make some sign language to his firesnake.  He then attaches
         a piece of cloth that is bright yellow that clearly shows the
         firesnake shouldn't be wearing it.  After a few minutes Caladan
         points to the mountain and up to demontrate his plan.  Lucky
         the firesnake saw Z'leyra do the flight path first.

         [Time: 11:35am]

           Caladan turns to Arawn, "I can't recall if it was your idea but
         I think the idea of a fog to cover us as we move to the vent
         is a good idea.  I don't have the magic but you can do that
         right?"

           Caladan turns to observe the firesnake.  Soon it takes faster
         circles as the eagle and takes closer inspection of the wall.
         Soon the firesnake hovers near the cave  As directed Caladan
         knows the eagle can't hover so easy and uses this dangerous
         chance to see what is inside.

           The firesnake seems to hover about 20 feet from the lip of
         the cave and peers inside.  Caladan holds his breath.  He
         knows the flying snake is agile and should be able to dodge
         any attack.  Soon Caladan exhales when the firesnake takes
         the next step and raises toward the top.

         [Time: 11:38am]

           Z'leyra back in human form arrives back on the campsite  She
         is happy to not be killed.  As she walks she misses Corona and
         Fisherking.

           "..so the armpit is a good weak spot." Captain Li is saying
         as Farseeker gives him pointers.

         [Time: 11:39am]

           While Caladan watches his pet, Arawn takes some time to make
         some pieces of cord to make some makeshift amulets for gems
         he has which he may need for their magical purpose.  He wraps
         the gems in a web fashion making it a bit of 8 zip zag patterns.
         But he ensures at least over half the gems are shown so the
         magical properties are displayed.  It works as a good fix to
         a talisman but knows it could fall apart if blades damage the
         cords.

           Caladan clutches his warsteff and watches the firesnake circle
         the top.  He doesn't like losing sight of his friend but it has
         to be done.  After a few minutes the firesnake does a few passes
         and finally dives toward the northern forest.

           As the firesnake hides in the trees he circles back toward the
         Zen'da and Alfar.  Caladan watches the cave and top.  After a
         few minutes nothing is seen.

           "Still no Vong.  Maybe we are in a small base and not --"
         Then Caladan point to the top.

           A shadowy form reaches the lip of the northern edge and seems
         to crouch.  Caladan see little detail but Arawn can see that
         the head is clearly gray and that proves Vong is there.

           The Vong is soon approaches with another.  Both seem to watch
         the north forest to see if they can find the fireplace.  Arawn
         and Caladan do not move as they watch from the dark shadows of
         the trees.

         [Time: 11:42am]

           Eventually the Vong go hidden again when the firesnake returns
         to Caladan's arms and is congratulated for finding the Vong.
         "So if they didn't react to Z'leyra they didn't see since she
         did have a target or they ignored it.  Fremea and Z'leyra likely
         saw the top.  That means the Vong are camouflaged in some way.
         This means we will have to use our distraction.  Let's head
         back as quickly as we can."

           "We'll have only a few minutes for the storm so let's do it
         when close to the south side." Caladan jogs toward the camp
         from the northern forest.

         [Time: 12:02am]

           Finally Caladan and Arawn jog into the camp with a bit of
         heaving chests.  Finally Caladan points to the sky behind then.
         "A small thunder burst looks like it might be heading here
         in a few minutes.  But it will be a fast soaker.  We should
         move fast."

           Unali say, "We should get ready to move then. The weather is
         turning. Let's go."  She will pick up her bag and start marching
         towards direction of the steam vent, picking up Arawn and Caladan
         on the way.

           The Captain moves following the others and tries to look through
         the threes but finds it clearing. He shakes his head in a bit
         of doubt.

           Caladan reminds Arawn, "we'll move toward the edge and I'll cast
         the storm and you can do the fog to distract our view."  Caladan
         then moves toward Raban and whispers.

           "When we move toward the edge block his view so he doesn't
         watch we do."  He smiles at the tall giant who has been quiet
         of late.

           Caladan then reports to Zhou and Unali as well as who might
         be close by but away from the Captain. "We did spot two Vong
         on the top.  They spotted the firesnake.  But at least they
         didn't a flyer.  Either means they are need of hiding or they
         don't need to change the firesnake.  Also means Nom's personal
         sled-flyer thing you saw may be limited."

           Caladan and Arawn move to the south edge of the forest directly
         south of the steam vent.  By now the south side of the mountain
         is darker as the sun has shifted away.  Caladan sighs when he
         realizes the distance.  "Almost a mile...we'll have to move
         fast...you'll need to move in the center and bring the fog
         along."

           Zhou reminds the others that they'll have to move as fast
         as they can toward the south side.

           Caladan turns to Arawn to ask about his fog spell. "The storm
         I can make quickly.  It should last time to cross the field.
         But what about the fog? We'll need maybe over a minute at full
         running speed to get to the vent."

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update....Friday...

         GM: I know some folks are up to speed on actions.  So will
             those things catch up.  Been a couple weeks so should have
             the full time to move on.

         GM: Raban will be in NPC mode for a but while John deals with
             some things.

         GM: As you may know I sent out gear lists to ensure what is
             taken in battle.  This serves two things.  First to ensure
             something is not deleted.  If you forget that nice pretty
             ribbon to look good in battle and forget it too bad.  Will
             just have to look bad without it.  Second keep in mind gear
             taken is in full status to be damaged.  Even minor things.
             So if you bring rope or a book and something slices it
             inside the bag its possible to be damaged.  This is why
             it took so long to get the gear done.  But we should be able
             to move fast from this point on.

         GM: Arawn I assume you are ok with a Fog spell?  You may need to
             cast it twice.  Due to the length of distance.  Once on the
             side cover should be better.  Let me know if you wish
             to this or if someone else has a better plan.  The storm
             should distract the top but in case they do look down the
             fog is a good idea.

         GM: Once inside the map below will go away.

         GM: Well we are at a problem.  Farseeker's idea to use the storm
             is good but looks like we might not make it.  The distance
             is a mile from forest south.  Party will take   If it will
             take actually take several minutes to cross the field.
             The storm might last 2 minutes and the fog about 30 seconds
             per time.  So looks like the distance will mess things up.
             I may have got the estimated off. So what do you guys
             say to solve this problem? New spells or options?

         GM: Generic map of area in rough form.

             /I\ = North
              1 Row    = Half a mile [around 2640 feet]
                1 Column = Almost 1/10th mile [Around 410 feet each column]

              4 Miles by 4 miles

                       1         2         3         4        5
              12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
             I           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                     I A
             I        %%%%%%%%%%%%%   % %%%% 7                  I B
             I6    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       %%%%  %%%%%   4        I C
             I       %%%%%%%%%%%%%   X    %%%%%%%%%%%           I D
             I    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       i E
             I5      %%%%%%%%%%P%%        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       I F
             I           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                   I G
             I        3            2              1             I H

             X = Rising Mount [D24] -  1,000 feet high, 1,000 feet wide
             1 = Mountain     [H37] - 10,000 feet high
             2 = Mountain     [H22] -  8,700 feet high
             3 = Mountain     [H9 ] -  5,600 feet high
             4 = Mountain     [C42] -  8,000 feet high
             5 = Mountain     [F1 ] -  6,900 feet high
             6 = Mountain     [C1 ] -  6,400 feet high
             7 = Mountain     [b32] -  8,450 feet high
             % = Forested area major tree area
             P = Party place  [F18]    Forest ground

             Party is now about 2,000 odd feet to the Rising
             Mount inside the forest.  Can move deeper if needed.
             Party is about 500 feet from edge of clearing at this
             point.

             All heights are estimates.