[pnpgm] Game Update #160b - File #1130 - A happy family again

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Thu Mar 31 19:56:15 CEST 2011

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  R1.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #160b in sequence (file #1130)

          [None - Last post]

         [Augado 10th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Mountains west of Pamau]

         [Time: 10:10am]

           Watching the scout with a wary eye, Kell gazes intently as the
         initial questioning occurs.  He watches Kiet seeth and roil, like
         a pot just ready to explode.  Smiling at his colorful expressions.
         Even appreciating that his colorful expressions are fine for the
         whole family, not like this merchant's expressions.

           As Zhou interjects himself yet again, vying for leadership and
         respect, Kell winces at the minor noble.  "Just let us handle this"
         he thinks to himself, sighing on the inside and giving a small
         shake of his head.

           Kiet is somewhat more calmed down now, distracted by the
         promise of (indirect) aid from the Katai Master General and the
         plans being discussed now.

           Kiet moves over to Unali and quietly whispers to her "I think
         we should return his weapons to him as a show of good faith.  I
         would even give him his sword...and I promise not to do so point
         first", Kiet flashes a grin.  "Also, what harm is there in telling
         him we are 'special' if we can be gone before their forces can
         arrive?  It might even be good for P.R."

           Kell's ears burn and he hears the faint whisper of Kiet.  It
         does help having those odd pointy ears.  The half-elf moves closer
         to Unali and Kiet and whispers to them.  "I agree we shouldn't hide
         our abilities.  Whilst I don't know if we tell him outright,
         possibly we should.  Either way I am going to ask him if he knows
         Tor, the military man we met raiding the Peace Bridage tavern.  If
         they know each other, this could really work in our favor."

           Unali glances to Kiet and her face is hidden by her mask but
         if it was seen it would be slight shock.  This man who had
         been for weeks fearful of using magic and being detected now
         suggests revealing their specialness to this military man?  Could
         he be influenced or under some strange Vong power?  Unali then
         turns to the half-elf.  Kiet does make a point though.  To show
         how good Heretics could be for the Empire might bridge the
         fear and hatred a bit.  But the risk is too great.  Not with
         a army coming.  If it was a small force the party could handle
         then maybe.  Maybe one man though could see how Heretics work
         to help the Empire.  Maybe that man and Tor could help to show
         the leadership that Heretics aren't that bad after all?

           Unali looks back at the Captain then whispers back, "I would
         not reveal you are special, as it may easily antagonize him more
         than the Vong ever could. As he is from the Master General's
         command, he has a Katai City background. The hatred may be
         especially strong, or completely missing, but I can't be sure."

           "I would invite him along when we enter the Mount. And give him
         his weapons back indeed. We can use the help, and I do not fancy
         another 100 soldiers on our back while we are fighting the Vong.
         Then he can return to his unit later and organize a mop up."

           "A group of soldiers this close may hamper going back by land. I
         do not fancy being chased all over Katai again. We need to think
         about our retreat as well before we enter."

           Unali glances to Chion and hopes he doesn't get wounded or killed.
         Even though he could take everyone away the horses would have to
         be left behind in a quick retreat. Unless Will or Arawn or even
         Z'leyra helped with that.

                                ------------------------

           Arawn and Will move quickly not eastward along the northern
         section of forest.  They both can only see a small niche in the
         rock that is the actual cave.  At this angle, distance and
         light it can't be seen well.  From the ground it looks more
         like a crack than a opening.  Both take note of it and move on
         after studying it for some time.

           The front northern face of Rising Mount is of little keen
         distinction.  It is like the south and west a sheer cliff
         face with a few rock outcroppings mostly a feet or two
         out from the cliff from natural erosion and formation.

           Arawn soon realizes that in half the ash-field opening
         area they've seen there are no footprints at least that
         they can see.  Either wind blows it away or the Vong simply
         don't use the ground to get inside? But there isn't also
         animal footprints.  Aside from a few scattered bird prints
         on the edge at the treeline.  But Arawn knows animals wouldn't
         likely venture out in the opening for predator issues and
         frankly there isn't nothing of great value for animals in
         the open field.

           Arawn and Will begin to move to the eastern side of the
         Mount and that section of forest.

                                ------------------------

           Fremea scans the cave for some time and discovers little.
         Then she scans the top of the mountain.  As seen from the
         south pass it looks to be the typical rocky surface of a
         ex-volcano that has dried and formed a surface.  But then
         Fremea realizes something very odd.  She scans the surface
         which covers about 1000 feet from rim to rim.  She slowly
         takes time to study every nook, cranny and rock.  She sits
         aback and raises an eyebrow.

           Her curiosity begins to build and she wants to do some venting
         of that frustration.  She begins to plant various tree pieces
         and branches around her clothing.  Hopefully to disguise her
         body but it doesn't help in this open light that much.  But
         she knows she is a fast flyer.  Standing up she belts her
         scope and takes to the air flying as fast as she can to the
         Rising Mount.

           A few long minutes later she hovers at the entrance to the
         cave and stares inside.  It is dark but it seems to go on
         for some distance.  She glances up and around but sees
         no Vong or otherwise.  She decides to step onto the ledge
         of the cave.  She begins to enter slowly and cautiously with
         her bow drawn and ready.

           The camp is dry and dusty and she finds it quite large for
         her body.  It is well open and she gets about 30 feet when
         she finds a small animal skeleton.  It might be a eagle or
         some bird.  she continues onward down the cave another 30
         feet and rounds a corner.

           She notices some glowing green lichen that seems to make
         the cave green with eerie light.  She continues onward after
         she examines it for strange poisons or such.  But it seems
         natural.  Suddenly the ground underfoot gives way and she
         finds herself falling down into a pit about 10 feet down.

           Flapping her wings she regains some balance but doesn't see
         the Vong bugs swarm all over her.  They soon tear into flesh
         and clothing tearing it to shreds as she begins to flee and
         fight the bugs off as best she can.  She slowly begins to
         take massive cuts from the bugs and bleeding from neck,
         hands and arms very badly.

                                ------------------------

           Back at camp Captain Li continues to talk to Zhou and Farseeker.

           Kiet is shocked by the suggestion that Unali makes and it shows.
         He grabs her upper arm (lightly, not in anger) and whispers to her
         "Unali, that is a bad idea.  First of all, judging from the
         evidence...", Kiet nods toward Strie'bog and Raban, "...he probably
         has already guessed. And what kind of reaction do you expect from
         him if surprised once spells start getting cast?"

           Unali quickly brings her knee up to lightly touch Kiet's groin.
         "It would be a shame to crush such nice ... equipment."

           "As for the scout, he may guess all he wants. Once the fight
         starts, he will have to choose what he fears most, magic or Vong,
         or night demons for that matter. For his sake, I hope he chooses
         the Vong. Till that time, he is free to worry about magic users
         only, and have his fears run unchecked, and the age-old
         conditioning might make him bolt. As long as he suspects, but
         doesn't know for certain, he will wonder and he might be curious
         enough to gather more information to make up his mind."

           Kiet removes his hand ruffled at the reaction from Unali.
         But she is leader and seems to understand this land and the
         people.  Clearly he doesn't like the implication this could
         all lead to.

                                ------------------------

           Fremea reaches for the teleport item Z'leyra gave her and
         begins to speak the word but it only comes out halfway
         as a bug enters her mouth making her gag.  One bug tears
         into her left eye and explodes it in a wet vicious mess all
         over her face.  The last thing Fremea realizes is that Zhou
         was right entering alone is dangerous.  Curse him for being
         right as she falls onto the ground.

                                ------------------------

           Unali crosses the distance and goes to her horse to get
         away from Kiet for now.  She wants to hear more from the
         Captain and gets in a better position.

           Kiet shakes his head and heads toward the man.  He picks
         up his weapons and hands them to the man.

           "Thank you." Captain Yong takes the sword with some bit of
         hesitation. "Earlier.  It was nothing personal.  I didn't
         know if you were one of those brigade folks.  I was going to
         take you to get some information.  Nothing personal." He
         sheathes his sword.

           After Kiet returns his sword, not pointy end first into the
         officer's gut, Kell slowly removes his hat, and scratches the back
         of his head making sure his ears stay covered.  Warily yet in a
         friendly manner he approaches Captain Li Yong. "Captain Li Yong of
         the Katai House Guard, Special Detached Service. Do you perchance
         know one Tor?  He is Katai Military Command under local garrison
         Commander Gu Nay?  I do not know his rank."

           Captain Yon turns to this and studies Kell with some length.
         Most Katai don't wear their hair long, especially in the hot
         summer, unless they are warriors who like it for show.  "Tor?
         The name rings a bell."  He pulls out the notes Kiet gave
         back to him and scans them. "Nope.  Not here.  We did get
         a messenger just before I left from Pamau.  Something about
         a military person rescuing his partner with the help of a
         man in a...a...hat.....grey cloak...tulwar...spear." As he
         says this he scans the items Kell has on.  While Kell doesn't
         hold a spear he does have the rest.  The man's eyes seem to
         brighten a bit.  "You?  Wait..then..." He turns to Unali.
         "You are that strange dark dressed one that helped as well?"

           After a few long moments of quick brain thoughts he finally
         continues. "I don't have time to understand why.  But it
         seems you might be able to handle yourselves.  But you are
         still civilians and shouldn't be here.  As to this Tor
         I never met him.  We only got word of the Heretics and the
         destruction they did in the city and the assassination of
         Baron Ka.  It is not our duty to investigate but we find the
         timing to be interesting."

                                ------------------------

           A Jolt of pain wakes Fremea up.  Actually she was awake but
         the fire ant bite on her leg stirs her from her daydreaming.
         She wonders what would happen if she entered that cave or
         landed on the roof.  Would she be eaten by a large slug
         monster or simply die from bat dung falling on her?

           She lowers the spyglass and decides it is time to move on.
         The sun seems to be getting to her.  The distraction of
         a simple daydream like that can be deadly.  She vows not
         to do it again.  Unless it involves a scantly clad Raban
         in some fashion.

           Fremea takes to the air and heads to the western forest
         and back to the party.

                                ------------------------

           "Who is leader here?" Captain Yong asks.

           Zhou steps forward.  He glances to Unali going back to his
         role as baron.  He knows females would not be respected by
         the military much less a man as leader.  It could cause some
         issues so for now Zhou steps up. "I am."

           "You will need to take your people out of this valley."
         Captain Yong tucks his notes back into his hip pouch.

           Zhou knows this is the make or break point.  Nobles have
         some leverage over the military.  He could pull rank more
         or less here.  But a Katai House service is special than
         some grunt guard.  Would it work?

           "I'm afraid we can't.  My daughter was captured by the
         creatures inside that mountain.  I've gathered these highly
         skilled bodyguards, house warriors and others to help me.
         We will be doing this with or without you.  I would prefer
         you and your men help us though.  My honor is clear.  I
         will not allow us to retreat while my daughter....is ...
         tortured by those demons."  Zhou fakes a slight sob as if
         he is about to break down.

           Kell glances at Zhou and cringes at the idiot for stepping
         up to force the hand.  But his acting was somewhat decent.
         Now Kell watches the Captain with a Gambler's eye.  Who will
         budge first?

           Captain Yong stands and crosses his arms.  He stares at
         Zhou and then back to some in the party.  He glances at
         Raban who beams one of those sheepish "who me" grins.  It
         seems to break down the Captain's armor.  He finally pushes
         a hand through his hair and sighs.

           "Fine.  I have little choice do I?  My partner could take
         some time to get the others.  I simply don't know how long
         that will take.  If those creatures are going to do more
         attacks the quicker we can deal with it even if we have
         to retreat the better.  Maybe a small group..."

           Kell asks about the men killed they came upon earlier.

           "We have lost some 30 men in various encounters with these
         creatures.  Their flying evil magic things devastated our
         scouts and such in other areas.  I would not be surprised if
         those you found were part of them."  Yong turns to Zhou and
         then shifts his sword on his hip. "We should share our
         information and compare what we know."

           Captain Yong begins to skim some of the stories that the
         military has learned of strange sightings across the land
         and some strange business dealings.  This continues for some
         time as the party listens and waits for the others to return.

         [Time: 10:25am]

           Fremea lands with nothing but that ant bite on her leg and
         scans the party.  She notices a stranger in the party and
         wonders who he is.

           She lands above the party some distance in the canopy and
         suddenly the man looks up hearing branches break.  Raban
         taps him on the shoulder and asks if he would like some
         water.  The distraction is good and Fremea is able to round
         the area and land.  She quietly walks to some bushes.

           Zhou nods to Caladan and Caladan seems to understand. The
         Zen'da Wizard goes to Fremea's horse and finds the bag she
         has her dress in.  He hesitates and wonders if he should
         look inside.  Knowing Faerry it might have something to jump
         out and bite his nose off.  He decides to just take the whole
         bag and enters the deep forest.  Soon Fremea gets her dress
         and dons it again while Caladan rejoins the party.

           Fremea grumbles at the dress.  She thought she was over
         with this.  Why should she hide now?  But better to be
         safe for now and shock the man later.

           Coming out of the bush Caladan whispers to her that he
         is a Katai military scout that stumbles upon Kiet trying
         to take him prisoner but now is a semi ally.

           "Ahh!  Daughter.  I was wondering how long it might take
         to see you return." Zhou looks to Fremea then back to
         Captain Yong.  He introduces her then explains. "She
         was in the woods burying a small pet she had.  It died on
         the trip here."  He almost continues but doesn't want to
         taint things further.  "She appears small but she is
         actually older than she looks and a skilled person with
         the bow."

           Captain Yong nods his head at Fremea.  So Zhou at least
         didn't make her to be some wimpy girl.  "My aunt was only
         4 feet tall and she could axe a tree like most lumbermen."
         He turns to Zhou to continue their discussion.

           Kell glances to Zhou and then Unali.  He pleads with her
         to stop Zhou before he screws things up more.  but he
         knows her role as female in this society is limited.

         [Time: 10:40am]

           Soon Arawn and Will return to the camp after exploring
         the other side of the forest.  The eastern and south
         sides they found nothing of interest.  They did study a
         bit more from different angles the steam or smoke at the
         base of the south end but can't tell much from the distance
         and angles.

           Upon entering the camp they notice the man.

           Zhou turns to them and introduces him and the Captain.
         "They were helping my daughter bury the animal.  A friend
         of that one there." He points to Squirt.  "Glad you could
         get back so soon.  We have work to do!"

           Squirt dives out of Will's arms but not before letting
         loose a foul squirt of smelly odor from his rear.  Will
         crinkles his nose at the smell and realizes how Squirt must
         have got his name.  He wonders if he is part skunk.  Squirt
         soon hops up into Kell's arms and snuggles in for a quick
         nap.

           Will asks about the dead military they found.  Yong goes
         back over that and explains about the encounters with the
         Vong they have had.  Will asks how long ago he left his group.

           "Four days ago.  We scouted for one day.  Then we found
         the valley from our info by a local farmer.  We then
         scouted and stayed for over a day.  My partner could be
         tracking my group by now."  He rubs his eyes clearly tired
         and drained. "At least I think its been that long.  When
         you stare for hours at the valley and that rock your eyes
         start to fail.  Time passes quickly and one gets a bit
         confused.  Being in the field long can do that. "

           Yong turns to Zhou.  "Any more friends or surprises in the
         forest? A small army or wagon train?" He asks a bit with
         clear sarcasm.

           "No. This is our little group.  Farseeker why don't you
         go over the creature's weapons with the Captain.  I should
         confer with the others."  He turns and heads toward Fremea,
         Will and Arawn.  Some of the party gather around to hear
         their reports.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Monday...

         GM: Happy April Fools day!  This was a lame one.  But I had
             fun with Fremea.  I wanted to kill half the party and
             leave that a cliff hanger.  But due to time and lack
             of sleep last night I'm on light brain cells tonight.
             So maybe next time.  Was going to do this one a bit
             bigger but again brain is failing.  Feel free to form
             plans and report things.  Thanks for posting early
             you saw it allowed this update and 2 parts.  So it
             helped.  BTW its over now but today was National Cleavage
             Day in the UK I believe.  Darn if we didn't celebrate it.

         GM: Generic map of area in rough form.

             /I\ = North
              1 Row    = Half a mile [around 2640 feet]
                1 Column = Almost 1/10th mile [Around 410 feet each column]

              4 Miles by 4 miles

                       1         2         3         4        5
              12345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
             I           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                     I A
             I        %%%%%%%%%%%%%   % %%%% 7                  I B
             I6    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       %%%%  %%%%%   4        I C
             I       %%%%%%%%%%%%%   X    %%%%%%%%%%%           I D
             I    %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       i E
             I5      %%%%%%%%%%P%%        %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%       I F
             I           %%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%%                   I G
             I        3            2              1             I H

             X = Rising Mount [D24] -  1,000 feet high, 1,000 feet wide
             1 = Mountain     [H37] - 10,000 feet high
             2 = Mountain     [H22] -  8,700 feet high
             3 = Mountain     [H9 ] -  5,600 feet high
             4 = Mountain     [C42] -  8,000 feet high
             5 = Mountain     [F1 ] -  6,900 feet high
             6 = Mountain     [C1 ] -  6,400 feet high
             7 = Mountain     [b32] -  8,450 feet high
             % = Forested area major tree area
             P = Party place  [F18]    Forest ground

             Party is now about 2,000 odd feet to the Rising
             Mount inside the forest.  Can move deeper if needed.
             Party is about 500 feet from edge of clearing at this
             point.

             All heights are estimates.