[pnpgm] Question on Spells & Alignments - re: Law, Chaos, etc for Protection, dispel, etc

Murtha, Mark Mark.Murtha at dishnetwork.com
Wed Mar 2 20:03:17 CET 2011

Hey Everyone,

I've been thinking on this for a bit and need to make sure I'm clear.

All Alignments:
Law
Chaos
Neutral
Balance
Elder       (includes Grey wizard and Shamans, and Dark elder)
Sidh        (or is this included in elder?)
Shadow   (not sure if this is valid, but seems it should be valid)

So - for each alignment, there are these alignment specific spells:

Protection
Summoning
Dispel/Banish
Purification

Correct?

Protection question.  I read Protection and it implies that caster must cast the spell against a specific target to protect against that target.  In other words, it's an active targeted spell.  Against two things:
1.  That specific target
2. All things of that alignment
Side Effect: The spell then also gives a "passive" protection against the Spell, not target's, alignment.  Is this true?

Active Example.  Bob is invading a Chaos demon-infested tomb.  He sees his first demon, and casts EL3 Prot v Chaos against that demon, targeting that demon.  Demon gets regular MDV to resist.     Duration = 8 turns. Roll Modifier = -5.  Only for that demon attacking him.

There is no purely "passive" protection spell.
  -  i.e. Cast Protection v Chaos on wizard Bob.  Bob now has protection against all Chaos attackers at the specified Roll Modifiers.
          Passive Example.  Bob is invading a Chaos demon-infested tomb.  He casts EL3 Prot v Chaos on himself.  Duration = 8 turns. Roll Modifier = -5.  For any and all chaos creature attacking him.  Other alignment creatures have no modifier.  Hope there aren't any Kotothi monsters Bob!

>From the Book for Protection:
EXAMPLE - Oom, a Balance Wizard, casts Protection against Balance to oppose a Chaos Demon. The demon resists with triple MDV. If Oom succeeds, the spell affects Chaos while retaining its virtue against Balance. The attacking demon and Oom both add the Roll Modifier.

I don't understand the point that Oom adds the roll modifier. Help!

Followup Question. How can one create a Protection Item, of the passive version?    I want to make "shield of protection" that give -4 to all chaos, -4 to elder, and -4 to shadow attackers rolls.  Is this Protection or some other spell?

Thanks,
Mark