[pnpgm] Game Update #134 - File #977 - Into The Lion's den

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Tue Nov 30 20:51:27 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #134 in sequence (file #977)

        From Will: [Re: Actions]
          Arrggg...  Will curses to himself as he thinks of the situation.
          Speaking to no one in particular he says "Well we have two...

          OOC.  I don't remember if you described the ground flour so the
          following is based on skimpy information.

          Will making sure there is no one looking crosses the street and
          casually walks along the building looking for opportunities to
          listen to what is going on inside as he moves along he will pause
          under where Fremea is and if he can without looking at her will
          ask "any idea what is going on"  He will also look around at the
          ally for rubbish or anything else he could use for a fire in case
          he has to come up with a drastic diversion.
        GM: Ack. Yes I described it last update.  I didn't place like
            every table on the map but just did a quick visual picture.
            But of course only Kell knows the layout not you.  But I'll
            go over it again.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Kiet silently groans when his impetuous friend Kell hands over
          his spear.  Kiet looks at Kell with that "I've got a bad feeling
          about this" look,  but Kell doesn't seem to notice.  He just goes
          on his merry way to get into trouble only Kell can generate.

          Kiet is obviously unhappy about this, but there is little that
          can be done now.  On the plus side, the spear might be an
          excellent distraction should it be necessary to attack anyone....
          chuck it first then follow up with shield butt and dagger.

          Kiet hears Will's comment and shares his frustration.

          "No ideas from me, other than stay hidden for now.  They...
        GM: Ack.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          [Hope this isn't too late.  It was a busy holiday week, lots of
          family and had the kids. blah blah blah]

          [Short version - Kell smooth talks his way out of it, ideally
          learning all he can.  Less ideally he just smooth talks his way
          out then gambles. Either way he leaves in less than an hour.]
          [Longer version follows]

          Kell sighs lazily, as if being handled and having dagger drawn on
          him is nothing new or that exciting.  He also gives the men
          holding him the eye, raising one eyebrow at the tall man
          questioning him now.  Again.  Yet another fool to ask me
          questions.  "I am Bal Tug.  New in town.  Looking....

          [Er, I want to add more don't know what else to say.  So feel
          free to add, etc.   Can't wait to see what you do with this.]

         [Augado 5th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]

         [Time: 10:36pm]

           Will shakes his head in disgust and curses to himself.  He
         seems to recall the Giant guy talking about this group not doing
         well laid out plans.  Now he sees it in action.  Speaking to no
         one in particular but the darkness.  "Well we have two people
         separated inside and two waiting out here and we have no
         prearranged signals or time frame to expect them or a set time to
         arrange a diversion.  It also makes it tough to carry out any
         rescue with the use of other skills...."

           Huffing, Will turns to Kiet, "any ideas?"

           Kiet also silently groaned moments earlier when Kell gave over
         his shield and spear.  He can't believe his impetuous friend gave
         the gear and then just decided to turn himself over.  He thought
         this was a stealth recon not a overt recon mission.  The acrobat
         tried to give the half-elf his "I've got a bad feeling about this"
         look, but the eager gambler tried a ploy before thinking it out.

           Kiet glances from the door of the tavern to Will, "No ideas from
         me, other than stay hidden for now.  They probably have lookouts.
         Hmm...that reminds me....perhaps we should pull back and relocate.
         If the lookout noticed that Kell was hiding here, he might also
         send someone around to check out the hidey-hole Kell came from to
         see if Kell brought friends...which, of course, he did."  Kiet
         smiles a quick little smile.  "Let us move to another location
         and keep an eye on that door."

           Kiet turns to begin walking south down the dark alley.  He
         moves slow to make little noise.  But after a few steps he hears
         Will begins to move and Kiet can faintly hear him.  Kiet begins
         to scan the alley looking up to ensure there is no lookouts.  But
         the dark night makes it difficult to see beyond a few feet.  Kiet
         suddenly notices it getting quiet and he turns around.  Where
         did Will go?  Kiet exhales deeply in frustration.

           Will decided its best to see if Fremea is still safe.  He
         quickly crosses the street.  Glancing left he sees the horse
         the rider left still ambling about in the dark.  It seems to
         be sniffing the edge of the building for grass.  After a couple
         seconds he reaches the other side and finds poor Zep's lumped
         body where the three men left it.  He leans down and inspects
         the body.  Still unconscious and nothing of value on his person
         but possibly house key of some kind.

           Will has that odd sixth sense that feels he is being watched.
         He assumes that to be Fremea two stories above his head.  Without
         looking up at her he asks, "any idea what is going on."

           Kiet walks back north to the north alley edge where they were
         just standing moments ago.  Where did Will go now?  He scans
         the area and just sees the horse moving about.  Dang darkness
         can't see too far without street torches.  Then he notices
         a black figure slightly blacker than the night move in the
         alley across from him.  He figures that must be Will over there
         for some reason.

           Will glances around the alley the place seems rather clean
         and there isn't much in garbage.  The place must clean their
         trash out with wagons rather than storing it.  He does recall
         the place having a outhouse in back near the back door, from
         Unali and Fremea's area recon.  Outhouses tend to be easy things
         to burn down, though the smell from it can be awful.  Of course
         Will could use Zep's clothes to burn if he has to.

           Fremea from her ledge perch is still amazed that Kell would
         intercede himself into Zep's business.  Yes, it allows him to
         get a feel for the place but now he may be in trouble.  She
         tries to strain to hear through the closed window but it is
         more muffled noises than the louder voices earlier.  When
         she discovers Will she wonders where Kiet is.

           Inside the tavern on the third floor, Unali considers her options.
         She considers going after the guard down the hall but it is a good
         80 feet.  The dark hallway could cover some movement but surely
         she could be seen.  She wonders how Fremea is doing nearby and
         hopes the boys are safe.  Instead of acting she remains silent
         and waits.

           Downstairs the bouncer taps his sharp dagger at Kell's chin.
         The bouncer is curious about his hat.  Now many wear hats in
         this place and the bouncer knows they tend to hide cards or
         cheating-dice.

           Kell sighs lazily, as if being handled and having dagger drawn
         on him is nothing new or that exciting.  He also gives the men
         holding him the eye, raising one eyebrow at the tall man
         questioning him now.  Again.  Yet another fool to ask me questions.
         "I am Bal Tug.  New in town.  Looking for some action and seeing
         what I can see."  He pauses and takes a long breath, eyes the men
         holding his arms then returning to the taller man, but he is still
         shorter than Bal Tug.  Looking down his nose at the stinky man,
         "I'm going to follow anyone who owes me money, it's part of what
         I do.  I do it very, very well."  Grinning his assassin's grin,
         showing his slimy attitude.

           "I merely want a new place to gamble and drink for a bit.  Then
         find some good work.   I'll get the first here or somewhere else,
         I don't really care.  The second, well, I can either start
         something on my own or find someone willing to listen.  Someone
         with more pull than you three."  Looking disdainfully at them, as
         though they're merely the scum that Bal Tug is used to dealing
         with, but below him.

           Club man grunts clearly hitting a nerve.  Dagger man from
         outside ignores the comments and turns to the bouncer. "He
         claims to know Zep.  But wants to see the boss."

           Bouncer smirks, "Zep go home all right?  No mishaps?"

           "Eventually but I think he's sleeping it off for now."

           Bouncer pulls back a bit.  "The boss is busy.  he only sees
         folks with a current reputation.  Newcomers like you have to
         earn your keep, spend blood and sweat.  So the boss won't be
         seeing you tonight.  Especially tonight of all nights."

           Outside in the alley Will glances at the building.  The
         windows are dark and shuttered.  He tries to see inside
         through the shutters.  Faint slivers of light can be seen.
         With moving his head up and down he can see the tiniest of
         what must be inside the tavern.  He almost coughs from the
         dust on the shutter and the nearby spider web.  After a few
         long moments he makes out a squashed view of the inside.  It
         is well lit and looks to be 30 odd tables with maybe 30 or
         40 people sitting around them.  The tables are all circular
         with green or black tops.  Some are clean and clear while
         others have mugs, cards, dice and what might be poker chips.
         Only faint murmurs is heard through the glass window and
         nothing can be made out clearly.  Then he realizes the shutters
         themselves are wood and bone dry.

           Upstairs the messenger young man exits the office of the Boss.
         He rounds the corner.  Unali backs away toward the storeroom
         so not to be seen.  She listens as the man walks this way and
         enters the room which has the roof hatch and what must be the
         stairs.  Unali listens few long moments.  A smell comes to her
         nose and she turns to investigate.  Behind her on the east wall
         right next to what is likely the stair room is a barrel.  The
         scent of what has to be oil is strong here.  She wonders why
         they would store such a large sized barrel of oil here.  It
         must be for lanterns downstairs and the hallways.  She tries
         to move it a bit to judge how full it is.  The barrel could
         be 40-50 pounds if full of stuff.  But this one is about half
         full of what has to be oil, a few quarts of it at least.

           Unali returns to the hall to watch and listen.  Being
         right across from the stairs is dangerous but this area of
         the hallway is dark enough it gives some protection from
         being seen.

           Downstairs the bouncer taps his dagger in his palm.  For Kell
         he knows it is likely bad to beat up guests in a place this full.
         If this was a street gang hangout it wouldn't matter.  They'd
         kill Kell and not care.  But this place has customers, a key
         thing for a place like this.  Kell knows beating up guests like
         him would make bad business.  Though it is commonly known and
         understood that doing so outside out of sight is another thing.
         "I just don't know.  You look too clean and ....odd for some
         reason.  I can't place it."

           The messenger from upstairs emerges from the back west area
         and comes around the south bar.  He steps on a stool and orders
         a beer.  He forgets his horse is untied up outside and seems
         to ignore the scene nearby with the newcomer.

           Club man asks the messenger, "Everything good?"

           The young man sips his beer and shrugs.  He turns around
         and looks bored. "Who knows.  I just do as ordered."

           Dagger man who holds Kell's right arm says, "I say we just
         take him upstairs and find out more about him?"

           Kell glances over and knows things are going bad.  He scans
         the crowd of gamblers, drinkers and the rare person who is
         eating.  Most are playing cards.  Nearby to his right and about
         13 feet away is a table.  A single man dressed in blue silk
         tunic sits at the table with a obvious house dealer.  He places
         cards on the table in defeat and pushes back.  The man begins
         to walk to the bar and notices Kell and his friends.

           "Bal?"  The man who looks to be in his late 30s with no weapons
         attaches his money bag to his belt.  "Is that you?"

           Bouncer man turns to the man, "You know this man?"

           "We meet a few days ago.  He beat a friend out of 5 gold
         coins and change.  Then when the bar erupted in a fight over
         cheating-dice he single handed took out three wharf rats who
         spilled his beer."  The man crosses his arms.

           Kell is silent and a bit shocked.  Who is this man?

           Bouncer man turns back to Kell and then back to the men.  "He
         took on three sailors himself?  They must've been drunk."

           The bouncer turns to stare at Kell a few seconds.

           From outside in the alley Will finally spots Kell in the
         distance near the front door.  He is surrounded by what looks
         like four men.  From the odd angle in the shutters it is hard
         to tell what is going on.  They just seem to be standing there
         talking.  From his angle he can't tell Kell is being held by
         the arms.

           "Fine.  You can gamble.  We have a 3 Silver coin entry fee
         for strangers and new guys here.  We aren't just a tourist
         gambling joint." The bouncer places his dagger back on his belt.

           The two men behind Kell release him with some obvious disgust.
         Club man leans in and whispers. "I'll be watching you." and
         pats him on the shoulder.  Both men saunter over to the bar
         to order drinks and watch the crowd.  They are obviously muscle
         here to do the tavern's bidding.

           Kell realizes he only has 2 gold.  he shakes his head and
         explains he'll have to get change since he only has gold
         coins.  No need in telling he has ONLY the gold coins and
         a lot of brass bits.

           "Fine.  But you won't leave till we get the entry fee.  Open
         your money bag."  The bouncer looks at Kell.

           Kell knows this is a problem.  It sounds like a lot of coins.
         But he has been in this position before.  He removes his money
         bag and brings it up to his chest height.  he slowly opens it
         up and pretends to shuffle the money.  He draws out the two
         gold coins and shows them to the bouncer.  The bouncer nods
         but before he can look into the bag Kell drops one of the gold
         coins.  Leaning down he picks it up and pretends to place it
         into the bag but palms it.  Standing tall he then pulls out
         another couple of gold coins and closes the bag quickly.

           Kell places one gold coin in the hand of the bouncer and
         asks if that is enough to work with.  The bouncer nods and
         realizes it is Katai issue.  Kell takes the coin back and
         nods while smiling.  Bouncers may be strong and can deal with
         a crowd but with simple sleight of hand and figuring out how
         to escape a cloth bag they are just stupid.

           The bouncer moves back and stands up against the wall.

           Kell exhales briefly and walks over to the man who helped
         him.  The man points to the table they just came from.  He
         stops a bar girl and orders a ale for both of them.  Getting
         to the table he tells the house table man he isn't needed.  The
         man who knows how to deal only moves to another table to help
         out two gamblers.

           The man leans over and whispers to Kell.  "I couldn't help
         but overhear.  Are you insane?  This place is not a tourist
         fun family place.  You were about to find out why this group
         is known for cleaning with a broom handle and I don't mean
         cleaning a room.  I don't know what your game is but you should
         be careful.  I'm Tor and just lost 3 silver on this table.  Lucky
         I have no debt yet.  But I'd not run a debt in this place. It
         can cost fingers and limbs."

           Kell sitting with back to the south wall looks a bit left to
         the bar.  Club man is indeed watching him.  Not good.  But the
         bouncer and Dagger man seem to be watching other things.  The
         other patrons seem to ignore Kell and Tor as well.

           "I don't know your game but it is a dangerous one.  I won't
         be a part of it.  I'm leaving shortly."  Tor says as he sips
         his beer.

           From outside Will grunts as he sees Kell sitting at a table
         with another man.  What is the insane half elf up to?

           Kell grabs the deck of cards on the table and shuffles them
         like one who knows cards.

           Unali wonders if she could escape back outside to check the
         windows on the front side and gain entry that way past the
         long hallway.  But as she considers her options she notices the
         guard down the hall turn and walk down the hall east away from
         her.  A faint voice is heard but muffled.  She strains to hear
         and hears bits and pieces.  "...leaving....new...stay..." That
         is about all she hears.  The guard and what must be another man
         are around the corner and out of view.  She decides this is her
         chance.  She makes a dash down the hall.

           Unali makes it 50 feet down the hallway passing the door to
         a room she skips.  She finds the hall goes right and turns
         down it.  She stops and leans against the east wall.  She waits
         and hears the muffled talking stop.  Moments later a door to the
         east close.   She can hear footsteps north and to the right move
         back toward her.  Then they stop and she figures the guard is back
         in his position.  What is he guarding?

           Unali takes a peek around the south hallway which is just
         another hallway going east.  The south wall is actually the
         third floor front side of the building.  it has a couple
         windows closed and curtained.  She slowly moves east and
         down the hallway.  The room the guard is guarding is about
         40 feet long and 30 feet deep.  Glancing around the east
         side of that room the hallway juts north.  She sees a door
         to a east room about 20 feet away.  The door is closed and
         has to be where the second man came from.  Based on the
         voices heard and where Fremea must be that has to be the
         big boss office or at least a office.  But she is unsure
         of how many are in there.

           Unali heads back around the west and considers her options.
         She is much closer only 20 feet not 80 feet from the guard
         now.  She could get to him likely in a few seconds.  She
         could lure him around the corner and knock him out.  She
         could also wait and see what will happen.

           Outside in the alley across the street Kiet stares in disbelief.
         Now Will leaves him without much of a plan.  He becomes a bit
         heated under the collar and its not the night warm air.  What
         is he to do now?  Should he leave and look for lookouts?  He
         trusts Unali and Fremea when they said they spotted none.  Of
         all Fremea with her keen eyes should've seen them.  But now what
         should he do?

           Upstairs Unali hears a door open.  She panics slightly as she
         isn't sure where they may go.  Either the north hallway or
         south.  But why go where there is no guard?  She risks it and
         heads to the south hallway.  She hears footsteps to the east
         and moving slightly away.  She is right they are going to the
         north hallway where the guard is.  Glancing around the south
         west corner she sees two men moving west down the hallway pass
         the intersection.  One man is tall and well dressed in leather
         and a nice animal skin vest of some kind.  The other is a foot
         shorter and a shaved head.  The shaved head is whispering to the
         man and seems to be explaining something.  Unali has seen that
         body language before.  A lower man talking to a superior.  The
         men quickly leave out of view.  She waits a few long moments
         and then heads back up the hall.  She can't look down the hall
         without being seen but hears a faint door close.  Did the men
         go downstairs?  If they did two less to deal with and maybe
         only the one guard left.  He didn't seem to follow the other
         two men.

           From outside Fremea considers replying to Will but suddenly
         the muffled noises in the room cease.  She listens for a
         few moments and recalls she heard a faint noise like the door
         to the room closing.  Did the Boss and the Aide leave?  She
         wonders if the window is still unlocked.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: Meant to do update last Friday since I had enough posts
             except from Mark.  But got too distracted.  This Friday
             I'm off (only time I'll be this year).  So will be up
             late Thursday night which means will work on update that
             night rather than Wednesday.

         GM: Will did some details on the floor plan in the last update
             or the one before.  But if need more detail let me know.
             From your vantage not much detail is seen.  Its like seeing
             a room through a peep hole in the shutter.

         GM: See map for changes and notes on current positions.

 * Roof/Aerial view

   Scale = 1 Row    = 10 feet  [Roof - 200'x100']
           1 Column =  4 feet
   North /I\

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ____________________/______________________________     _____B
U I      I                                                 I     I B  C
nBI      I       [X]                                       I     I u  D
kuI      I     Roof Hatch                                  I     I t  E
niI      I                                                 I     I c  F
olI      I                                                 I     I h  G
wdI      I                     Tavern                      I     I e  H
niI      I                  PB Base [ 3 stories]           I     I r  I
 nI      I                                                 I     I    J
 gI      I                                                 IF    I    K
__I      I_____________________/___________________________I     I____L
Street --->                                                          N
___      ___________________________________________________     _____P
BAI      I [2 stories]          Rear of place              IX    I BB Q
  I      I           manufacturing/Industrial Factory      I     I    R

 BA/BB = Unknown small shops [Rear]
 All other buildings around are 2 stories.
 Roof of PB base is empty aside from roof hatch and some minor vents
 and chimney areas.

 Fremea = K61 on third floor ledge near window.  Window at same location
 roughly.

 Front door - J32, Back Door - B30 [First floor but noted on top level
 for reference point)

  X  Q61 Kiet and Will.

  Fremea, Kell, 3 men roughly same location where it Marks F on map.

  F on the map shows Fremea's location.  But she is actually hugging
  the wall on the second story.  Unali is on the roof third floor
  and looking over the side.  Her rope escape is setup on the back side
  not east side.

  the three men are directly over and to the right 5 feet of Frema's
  location.  They are no more than about 3 feet from the wall and about
  8 feet from the street side into the alley north.

  The three men are about 55 feet from them across the street.

 * Third Floor

   Scale = 1 Row    = 10 feet  [Roof - 200'x100']
           1 Column =  4 feet
   North /I\

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ___________________________________________________     _____B
U I      Ioo  @@I     I        I                           |     I B  C
nBI      |o    @I     I        I                           I     I u  D
kuI      Io    @I     I        I                           |     I t  E
niI      Io    @I__/__I        I____/_____I  I__           I     I c  F
olI      |@    @I     I______/_I             ___           I     I h  G
wdI      I@    @I ___/________ _____G/_____  I             I     I e  H
niI      |___/__I I          I I          I  I             |     I r  I
 nI      I________I          I I          I  /   Fremea--> IF    I    J
 gI      |                   IUI__________I  I             |     I    K
__I      I___________________I_______________I_____________I     I____L

  Legend
    I or _ = Wall       / = Door   . or | = Window
    $      = Table      # = Desk   *      = Chair
                        @ = Cabinet [Storage, water, drinks]

    U = Unali  [I18]
    Window gained access G10
    Reminder on Fremea's position is F on map
    Man at door [K31]

 * First Floor

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ____________________/______________________________     _____B
U I      I            I B%                                 I     I B  C
nBI      |            I a%  ___    O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  |     I u  D
kuI      I            I r%  [ ]                         ___I     I t  E
niI      |         ___I%%%  [ ] O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  I  |     I c  F
olI      I         ____     [ ]                         I  I     I h  G
wdI      |            I%%%  [ ] O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  I__|     I e  H
niI      I     Bar--->I B%  {_]                            I     I r  I
 nI      |            / a%         O  O  O  O  O  O  O  O  |W    I    J
 gI      I            I r%                                 I     I    K
__I      I____________I__%_____/___________________________I     I____L

    K = Kell and 3 men [K32]
    I = Stage area [F-H 57-60]
    O = Circle tables each table can seat 4-6 with chairs around them
   [ ]= Large single table with chairs around it
   Bar Area has stools at table
   Chairs/Stools not shown on map.
   Kell = J36 Table
   will = J61 outside 2 stories below Fremea's position
   Kiet = Off map across street south of Will.

As Always if maps mess up view them on website they tend not to there.