[pnpgm] Game Update #130 - File #963 - First recon of pb tavern

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Tue Nov 2 08:45:48 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #130 in sequence (file #964)

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea thinks things over, remembering how she got into some of
          the 'jobs' she had to do before coming with this group. She would
          fly up to a window and find out what is being said before they
          move in, or she could get the lock on the roof trap undone and
          hope that no one is right there as she sneaks in.

          "I think if I get up to a window and listen in first, we ...

          She waits for responses.

         [Augado 5th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Pamau Province, Pamau City]

         [Time: 10:10pm]

           Another few minutes pass as the dark tavern is watched.  There
         is light filtering through very tiny slits or in a wash of dark
         or tan curtains.  From the first floor it looks deserted with
         the only light filtering through shuttered windows.  It takes
         intense concentration or up close viewing even to spot it.

           Kell who decided to join the group at the last instant uses
         his keen eyes to scan the area.  But there is little to notice
         or see from this hidden angle across the street.

           Fremea reports back after doing a fly over.  At this point
         unless she misses them all together there are no spotters or
         guards in other roofs or in the area.  This side of town is
         deserted and there is no other traffic at all.  That either
         means the unofficial curfew has set in or this place is too
         dangerous to be around at night.  That or folks just don't need
         to be here at night.

           Fremea recalls the small ledge that would barely be good for
         her.  It could be a bit awkward or dangerous for human feet
         to steady themselves without some major balance work.  Likely
         Kiet and Unali could try it but the bigger men Will and Kell
         could fall off the ledge.

           On the ground level there is a back door but its on the
         west side back of the building.  Fremea recalls the jobs she
         had to do for not only her masters but certain jobs she had
         to do for sheer survival.  It was a major boon to have a faerry
         who could fly and be so small she could fit in windows and
         access places most humans could not.  Even dumb city guards
         were on the old trick of using animals like small monkeys or
         even dogs to enter places.  But Faerry could be quite stealthy
         on their on accord.

           Fremea glances to the others.  "I think if I get up to a window
         and listen in first, we could learn something of what is going on.
         We need the advantage here and I don't see we have it quite yet."

           Unali nods and watches the tavern.  Not even another person
         has left in the 10 or so minutes the group has been here.  She
         isn't even sure its occupied.  She gives the nod to Fremea to
         listen in but to be careful.

           Fremea takes to the air and lands in the alley on the east
         side of the building.  From the roof of the butcher shop on
         the east side she saw movement in one window she thought.  She
         finds that window on the south east corner of the building.
         Glancing up and down the alley she leaps and with one then
         two quick flaps lands on the small ledge.  She steadies herself
         flat up against the wall.  Her wings fell cold up against the
         stone walls.  But she hugs it for a few long moments.  She tends
         to be quiet but even her wing noise can draw attention.

           While Fremea heads to listen into a window, Unali turns to
         the others and says she is going to do some recon of her own.
         She trusts Fremea's instincts and report but sometimes there
         is a better change to discover important details on your own.

           Kiet, Kell and Will remain at the corner edge waiting in
         the dark for results.  They keep watch down the street and
         down the alley they are standing in.  It was too dangerous
         to bring horses since it would draw some attention just by
         the noise of the horses.  So any escape will have to be done
         on foot if there is a situation.

           Unali jogs west across the back of the small factory the
         group is leaning up against.  It is directly in front of the
         tavern and she is so hidden by her dark clothing and the
         night shadows it is impossible to track her beyond a few feet.
         Once across the building she jogs north to the west side of
         the tavern.

           Fremea notices two windows to her left and two to her right.
         Two to her left or north of her are dark and clearly closed.
         She slinks along the wall just to dry them.  She finds those
         windows locked.  The curtains over the window are too dark
         and it is impossible to tell details of what is inside.

           Slinking back carefully south she checks the first window.
         She finds this one also shut.  She dares not try the window
         to see if its locked as there is light inside.  She tries to
         crane her neck to look inside but the dark tan and brown
         ugly curtains are pulled tight together.  She wonders if
         crossing to the next window could be seen but the odds are
         against it since they are too dark.  But to be safe she
         quickly pulls her wings against her.  Then she turns to face
         the wall and with a quick twist and turn flips her body
         so it moves quickly over the threshold of the window and
         she lands her back up against the wall between the two
         windows.  She inhales and listens to see if anyone comes
         to the window to check.  She can always simply jump one
         foot out and drop to the ground.  It would be a good fall
         but her wings would reduce that fall just a bit.

           Several long moments pass and nothing happens at or against
         the window.  She exhales and listens in.  She can hear muffled
         voices from the first window.  But as she edges toward the
         second window on the south-east corner she can hear voices.

           She cranes her neck and notices the window is cracked a bit
         maybe a inch.  The ugly tan/brown curtains are blowing from
         a slight breeze likely to give some air to the room.

           Fremea leans back and listens to what is said inside.

           "...get here after all this time?  What took you so long?
         A male voice is heard.  He seems to be of a voice that sounds
         older at least middle adult age it sounds like.  The voice
         seems to fade off and in as if the voice is moving around the
         room.

           "I had to escape and get here.  I went back to check on the
         others and the place was too much on fire to enter again."
         This time a younger voice is heard.

           "So you just ran while you were being attacked?"

           "They were magic users!  They clearly had a spell on Leku
         and we recalled what you taught on those things.  It was
         clearly too dangerous to be there.  So -"

           "You ran and left the others behind?"

           "There was at least...seven of them...we were outnumbered.
         One was this large fellow that chased me from the warehouse.
         For a large man he ran fast.  I barely escaped getting on
         a wagon.  I eventually got off and back tracked to see if
         the others escaped."

           "The city guards found two bodies!  You left them to be
         killed.  Now the guards will track them to us."

           "Two? I was there with three?  Only two found?" A slight pause
         and nothing said and the younger male continues. "That makes no
         sense.  I saw two on the floor and Leku was behind crates
         somewhere...."

           "Only two?  So where was the third?"

           "He must've escaped as well!"

           "He hasn't reported in yet you idiot!  If they captured
         him the magic users could track us here."  The older male
         exhales a few times as if upset. "The news is the place was
         so badly burnt nothing was left.  So at least that was
         a good job done there.  The guards must've worked hard to
         dig out the place for body search.  The second floor fell
         thrugh and was one mess.  So if you did it well the
         papers and other things are destroyed.  I'm disappointed you
         couldn't capture these folks.  If they captured one and we
         get the trouble here from them you will not live long after."

           "B-B-Boss...no need to do that...listen I'll leave in
         the morning and..." A gasp is heard as if in pain of some
         kind. "..I know people..we can..look to see if he escaped
         from the magic folks."

           "Failure is not part of this brigade do you understand?
         Fail again and it won't just be you who suffers.  Do you
         understand that?"

           "Y-Y-es sir."

           "Now go fool."

           Fremea notices a shadow over the window as it moves a bit
         close.  The window is lifted just a bit and the curtains
         parted.  Fremea prepares to jump down but no head pops
         out.  It seems the man is peering outside but she realizes
         he is holding a stick of some kind out the window.  She
         notices it is lit up on one end.  A poof of smoke leaves
         that end and the man taps the stick on the window.  He
         then turns and lowers the window just a bit.

           Fremea has seen those smoke sticks before.  Either using
         plants that folks like to smoke or some drugs.  Drug dens
         are common in Donara and the drug trade was just starting to
         boom when she left the land.

           A creak is heard as if a man sits in a chair.  Then a door
         is shut.  A third voice is heard a bit younger.

           "He could talk."

           "Watch him.  If the other didn't escape then we may have to
         move or hold up this place."

           "I still don't understand why Nom wanted the place destroyed.
         Just dump the coffins and burn the papers.  It is overkill to
         burn a place down to cover up a few minor things."

           "Our place is to obey not to question. " Another creak is
         heard as if the man leans in his chair.  "We were a small
         group fledging with minor things like fencing and theft.  But
         now we have some drug trade, women, gambling and much more
         power than we did a year ago.  With their network and their
         contacts they have spread this Brigade they call it around
         in other cities."

           "I don't trust Nom and you don't either I know.  Their
         network and power is vast.  But the fools downstairs don't
         know the full details of what this is all about.  When do
         we get what they promised us?  So far we've transported
         a few of them and gotten a few coin and growth out of it.
         But our power base is still in danger.  That whole mess
         in the square today was foolish.  Now we'll have the Count
         and his friends breathing down our necks to get order back
         in this city."

           The older man, Boss he was called replies. "You hear about
         Baron Ka?"

           Nothing is said but likely a head shake.  Boss continues,
         "Strangers visited him and stopped Nom from killing him it
         seems.  He is badly burnt by some acid thing.  He is in a
         coma they say and still may die.  But I'm afraid Nom has yet
         to show up here for our next move."

           "Strangers?  Nom not showing up?  This is not good.  Maybe
         we should get to our safehouse.  In case this place is hit
         the idiots downstairs can deal with it."

           "You worry too much.  Ka's aide is still on our payroll.
         Even if Ka refused to help us as much as he used to I'm sure
         Nom had his reasons to end that relationship.  But if he doesn't
         show up in the morning we'll consider a move."

           "We should track these strangers down."

           "I've considered that.  Maybe in the morning we'll find the
         aide and get descriptions.  Then do some tracking once light
         gets here.  This cursed curfew the guards are doing makes
         it hard for us to move around.  But we-"

           A knock on the door.  Then it opens.

           Another voice is heard.  "Visitor downstairs has run up
         a tab of 22 gold.  He wishes to use this gem as collateral
         if he can play cards longer."

           A long pause as if the Boss is inspecting the gem.  "Looks
         cheap.  Maybe 2 gold at most.  If he fails to profit in two
         rounds toss him out.  Before then we can take some flesh
         to show how we prefer payment quickly."

           The door then closes a few seconds later.

           During all this time Unali found near the back door is a small
         tiny outhouse for one person.  It is made of wood and she
         finds it rickety but seems solid.  Using the doorknob and door
         she pulls herself up and onto the top of the outhouse.  She
         waits to ensure it will hold her weight.  After a few long
         moments she finds it solid.  Spreading her legs she climbs
         fully up.  Then she quickly moves to the second ledge.  She
         finds it very small but she has to stand with her side against
         the wall to spread our her body and weight.

           Scaling buildings is not impossible even for small ledges.
         Usually rope would be the best thing.  But rope was not
         taken and the edges of the ledge decoration pieces would be
         hard to grapple firmly.  Aren taught her some tricks with the
         help of Balrog.  Balrog the ex thief told the best way to
         enter such places.  The trick was distribution of the body
         and weight.  You only needed a point to get to the second floor
         and it should go from there.

           Going slowly around the north edge of the ledge she finds
         a brick surface.  It was like that on the first floor and
         must be a fireplace or cooking chimney area.  Here on the
         second floor she finds the bricks are jutted out but she
         has no climbing materials.

           She can't cross to the other side due to the bricks so
         decides to move eastward on the ledge.  She runs into luck
         and finds a roof drain that is attacked to the wall.  This
         drain is small but the wood and nails used to attach it to the
         stone surface juts out.  It is spaced just right.  The drain
         falls water on to the ground but goes all the way to the roof.

           The piece of wood are about two inches to three inches in
         some places around the drain.  It is clearly enough for a
         handhold.  But her boots will be hard to hold on.  She knows
         making a quick entry into this place up this route is slim.
         But the windows she has checked on the rear side are locked
         on the second floor.  On the east side she notices Fremea
         standing at a window on the third floor, likely listening to
         something inside.  She checks the windows on the east side
         and finds them locked.

           Grunting she places her butt against a dark room's window
         sill and with deft arms removes her boots.  She ties them
         together and places them over her shoulders.  With no boots
         she can get into the wooden slats a lot better.

           She could have broken into a window.  But not knowing what
         is inside or the noise it would make would be too risky.  But
         she wants to check out the roof hatch.

           Lucky for her body training her upper body strength is far
         greater than 95% of most women out there.  Scaling the drain
         with the wooden slats that keep the drain attached to the
         wall she makes slow movement up to the third floor.

           With the front of her feet sore but not damaged she quickly
         checks the windows on the third floor. All windows on the
         third floor east and north sides are all locked.  Access
         is still blocked on the west side by the brick chimney.

           She climbs the drain gain and finally gets to the roof.
         She finds the roof level and there is nothing up here at
         all but a few vents for air, chimney and smoke exhaust areas
         it seems.  Nothing large enough to use.  But the roof hatch
         she finds quickly .  She notices the lock is sophisticated.
         She tries the hatch and finds it locked.

         [Time: 10:18pm]

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: Updated character sheet sent -

             Ben'dar   - Yes   Will      - Yes   Caladan   - Yes
             Farseeker - Yes   Raban     - Yes   Kiet      - Yes
             Arawn     - Yes   Kell      - Yes   Chion     - Yes
             Fremea    - Yes   Strie'bog - Yes
             Unali     - Not yet
             Z'leyra   - Not yet

             Will send last two sheets when I can.  Likely in the next
             few days.  Doing them in alpha order so W/Z is at the bottom.

         GM: So far windows on east/north sides are locked.  Windows on
             front of tavern (south) and west side not checked yet.

         GM: I have to work Thursday so don't be alarmed if no update.
             If I have time will work some on it Wednesday night but
             may be a quick and dirty update.

 * Roof/Aerial view

   Scale = 1 Row    = 10 feet  [Roof - 200'x100']
           1 Column =  4 feet
   North /I\

         1         2         3         4         5         6         7
1234567890123456789012345678901234567890123456789012345678901234567890
___      ___________________________________________________     _____B
U I      I                                                 I     I B  C
nBI      I       [X]                                       I     I u  D
kuI      I     Roof Hatch                                  I     I t  E
niI      I                                                 I     I c  F
olI      I                                                 I     I h  G
wdI      I                     Tavern                      I     I e  H
niI      I                  PB Base [ 3 stories]           I     I r  I
 nI      I                                                 I     I    J
 gI      I                                                 IF    I    K
__I      I_________________________________________________I     I____L
Street --->                                                          N
___      ___________________________________________________     _____P
BAI      I [2 stories]          Rear of place              IX    I BB Q
  I      I            anufacturing/Industraial Factory     I     I    R

 BA/BB = Unknown small shops [Rear]
 All other buildings around are 2 stories.
 Roof of PB base is empty aside from roof hatch and some minor vents
 and chimney areas.

 Fremea = K61 on third floor ledge near window.  Window at same location
 roughly.

 Unali on roof by roof hatch.

  X  Q91 Kell, Kiet and Will.