[pnpgm] And now for something out of the ordinary..

Wout Broere broere at powersandperils.org
Mon Mar 8 22:42:25 CET 2010

Scott,

Thanks for the post. Having been around years ago when the Greg/Bertram
thing played out, I know how you try to take an impartial stand and let
all the players use their own style, and how you try to merge that into
one coherent game. That it is not always easy we have seen before.

At the time, with Greg and his playing style this resulted in a
situation where his personal views and his constant rules lawyering
delayed the game for months, but where the posted actions of his
character created a tension between characters (interpreted in a pure
roleplaying sense) which led to complete distrust between the characters.

This led to a situation where Greg was perceived as obsessed with rules
and details from game mechanics he did not understand (I don't remember
if he even did own a copy of the p&p books) and his character was
distrusted by the other characters as the character seemed intent on
having the mission fail. The fact that it literally went on for months
and months didn't help either.

Sadly, this time emotions flared somewhat too rapidly for me to digest
and to decide whether or not to intervene. (Being busy didn't help.) And
part of me hoped that those emotions would settle down and things would
continue as before. Some part of me still hopes they will. But I believe
that it concerns only the emotions between players, not characters.

Roleplaying wise, no harm has been done in my opinion. Inter-player wise
I am not so sure. Flame wars are a terrible part of the net. I do hope
that all persons involved can cool off and leave this behind.

We have a great game going here, and it would be sad if even one player
left due to a flame war.

I could probably ramble on, but I guess the intent of what I want to say
is clear.

Wout