[pnpgm] Game Update #102 - File #775 - Fate and Glory

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Tue Jul 6 09:13:55 CEST 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #102 in sequence (file #775)

       From Raban: [Re: Actions]
         <I meant that Raban would have trouble speaking to the father
         about death etc without mentioning Gods and afterlife which is a
         bad topic here. It may be beyond his eloquence to keep from
         mentioning his goddess if he tried to say things to comfort them.

         Raban approaches Arawn, "Arawn, I am concerned about the girl...

         <That may be a bit too much for Raban to figure out?
       GM: Ack. Gods are not known in Katai.  The Emperor is god by
           strict rules.  But with over 7 million people you can't
           cut off the ones who tolerate other gods.  It is just too
           impossible.  So it does exist.  Mostly in the peasant class
           strata.  So role play it.  You are clearly not from this
           and as a native you of all people would get away with
           such comments.  I mean what would he do?  Go and punch
           you and then say opps sorry!  You a bit too big for him.
           The worst case is not as bad as you might think.  Wouldn't
           be that hard for Raban or really a Bard to figure out such
           things.  It makes sense.  Bards are mostly to entertain but
           they also do light morale boosting from one person talks to
           crowds.  So some counseling (usually over an ale) is normal.

       From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
         [*** Raban's quote deleted ***]

         -I sent a message via ICQ to Scott in an effort to see if Arawn
         might have learned what, if anything, the girl recalls while he
         counseled the family and I'll get back to you on this when I hear
         from him.

         Scott, if it can't wait and if necessary to move the post forward
         for now, Arawn will counsel the girl to keep things to herself
         and family on such matters if she speaks of some sort of after-
         life or deific experience. He'd state it as something to be
         expected due to the 'trauma' she went through and counsel her to
         the best of his ability. He will not mention it as part of death
         and will not deny her afterlife experiences, if any, but he will
         not directly acknowledge them, instead allowing her to form her
         own decision. Forgetfulness will only be cast if Unali or Zhou
         desire it and only if the father can be distracted. If done it
         will be in an effort to 'numb' her memories to the trauma she
         has been through.

         Katai Bounty Hunter-

         Arawn feels that the teleporting the bounty hunter a distance
         away will likely be the least complicated and most humane method
         of dealing with him. The gear can be confiscated if the party
         desires and the horses scattered. If the party wants to keep the
         horses then over the next several days it might be possible to
         hide the brandings or Regrow it with magic though this is not
         his top choice as it is risky until succesfully completed.

         Last Minute Search/Departure-

         Arawn thinks a quick search of the jail house and any other
         unsearched buildings should be done before departing. He feels
         that the Vong bodies should be gathered for disposal so the
         family doesn't have to deal with it unless Unali or Zhou feel
         otherwise. As to limit any danger to the family Arawn is willing
         to leave quickly and not speak with them about their destination.
         The less the family knows the safer they will be.
         ...The only thing he wonders is- what will they tell authorities
         when they investigate the deaths/missing people? will they be
         able to keep themselves from suffering at the hands of government
         officials?.....

         The Baroness-

         It would seem the baroness cannot be treated at the moment so
         Arawn suggests keeping her in the wagon and then moving out. His
         thoughts dance around Rua's words regarding energies or sound
         influencing both growth and shrinkage of the coral-like growth.

         "If she can survive through the next day we might be able to...

         Mana Detectors-

         While the group travels Arawn will use Mana Sensing near the
         limit of his range when passing over bridges, lone buildings/
         outposts along the road, and places where people might be 'hanging
         around' (fishing, standing around talking, etc.) along the road.
         He'll also include caravans and travellers along the way.

         Vong-

         Arawn will push to keep the Vong alive. He believes the humanoid
         should be given a chance and should not be judged for the actions
         of others of his race. He'd ask the Vong to stay with them for the
         time being as he'll be safer with them (also he understands the
         Vong could provide valuable insight over time). Arawn will treat
         the Rua fairly and look after him.

         To avoid issues with authorities he'd suggest a disguise, perhaps
         of one horribly disfigured to excuse a facial covering. And if
         the party travels into cities or other areas where Rua might be
         checked Arawn suggests Rua staying outside of the town/city along
         with Arawn and the baroness (and any others that wish to remain)
         while the others take care of things.

         Arawn will ask Rua what it was he refused to do that caused the
         other Vong to imprison him

         Also, Arawn will ask Rua about the items discovered- Serpent Crown,
         the 'bug swarms', 'lesser' and 'World' brain, orbs, etc- their
         specific uses, how they are used, ranges, etc.

         He'd also like to learn more of his culture if they should travel
         together along with language if he's willing to share.

         Healing-
         Kell, if you want Arawn to use his Healer skill on you let me know.
         Magical Healing might have to rest in other hands however as
         Arawn's used a lot of magical power today.
       GM: Ack.  I replied via ICQ around 11 or so last night (sunday).
           But didn't stay online as watched the Greatest American Hero
           marathon (great old show).  With millions in the empire
           many are just "standing around" ;).  So you might get a bit
           tired scanning every place.  But I'll try to recall the mana
           sensing thing during travel.

         [Julis 26th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province]
         [          20 Miles south of Shantou City       ]
         [          Old Shantou Carnival Grounds         ]

         [Time: 3:10 pm]

           Arawn begins his exploration of the battle scene and examination
         of the people and prisoners.   During this time he is behind the
         wagon watching the father tend to his kids.

           Raban approaches Arawn, "Arawn, I am concerned about the girl.
         Would she remember being dead? Even for such a short time, she
         may have been in the presence of some deity or other agent before
         she was called back. If she was and remembers and speaks of it,
         she puts her family and herself at risk here. It would be a heresy
         of the highest order, they would have to treat her like some
         abomination or demon possessed or worse. If she was lucky they
         would just kill her, but I suspect they would do far worse to her
         and her family."

           Arawn listens to the giant speak softly out of earshot of the
         family and just doesn't know what to think.  Resurrection is
         also as traumatic as death.  Some souls are excised from the body
         and sent to some place in the upper world depending on their
         own beliefs.  But then they are snatched to another place to have
         a quick audience with some god or being.  Of course a quick
         audience in middle world time could be seconds in the upper world
         or radically different a long time.  Arawn considers Caladan and
         what his experience was.  Maybe he should question him on what
         the trauma was and what he can recall.  Then he vaguely recalls
         some story told around a campfire by Farseeker about Caladan
         seeing glowing red eyes and hearing some strange voice as if
         in a dream state.  But that is all he seemed to recall.  Surely
         if the body is affected by resurrection and diminished so should
         be the brain.

           Arawn crosses his arms and just shakes his head not knowing what
         to do with the current situation and how to approach.  If you do it
         one way it could harm but if another it wouldn't help much.  Arawn
         listens to the father talk soothingly to the girl and will have
         to consider his options.

         [Time: 3:15 pm]

           Arawn sits with Rua the Vong and talks quietly to him wary
         of Ben'dar and Kiet wanting to do more to the Vong.  Arawn
         asks what Rua refused to do for the others.

           Rua blinks his large eyes and stares at Arawn. "I refused to
         take my implants for one  The warriors wanted me to show them
         loyalty and love for gods by cutting off a finger and planting
         coral osik.  This is why I am now Shamed.  Any such Vong who
         refuses the Rites are Shamed and ...demoted in status.  Also they
         wanted me to beat and torture the young hoo-mans for sport as
         the warriors watched among other things."

           Arawn feels for the first time Vong might be a race not of all
         evil but of some humanity even if he himself is not human.  The
         term is racist in itself but is used by the humans to mean
         kindness.  Could the Vong change?

           Arawn asks about the shaper snake hood.

           "They use it for status and show mostly.  They demonstrate
         their strange ways by wearing very dangerous snakes inches
         from their head.  I don't know all the aspects but it is
         a form of control device and I suspect communication.  But
         I just don't know.  You wont' find me wearing one."

           Arawn asks about the bug swarm.

           "Actually those are a new breed we made upon entering this
         world.  We were warned of magic.  The Shapers made creatures
         to sense magic by some way.  This bug swarm does that and
         can do various things but one bug is harmless they are quite
         effective as a swarm."  Rua comments blandly.

           Arawn nods knowing that for himself.  Arawn asks about the
         lesser and world brains.

           Rua hesitates a bit but finally speaks. "Brains are intelligent
         creatures used for coordination of our forces and control of
         our creatures.  They use mind thought to communicate.  Their
         range I don't know.  But world brains can be powerful once
         installed.  On Salaq 9 one world brain used other creatures
         to pull down a moon onto the planet and destroy it."

           Arawn stares in amazement.  This Vong speaks of other worlds
         like he might speak of other towns.  Do these creatures visit
         other worlds as humans do towns?  Where ARE they from? If they
         can destroy a world like that what are they capable of here?

           Rua continues. "Once the World brain is up and coordinating
         our forces the army can arrive.  Then it is all over for this
         world.  Like so many before it.  It would then Vongform a planet
         into a world we desire by the Shapers."

           Arawn asks about Orbs.

           "Communication devices.  Ranges are extreme in some cases.
         I suspect in this world ...it is Voorak...I do not know your unit
         of measurement here.  Sorry.  One simply palms the top and
         rubs it a bit.  The orb forms the face of the Vong it is in
         connection with.  The orb in head form begins to talk just
         like the other Vong was there."

         [Time: 3:23 pm]

           As the party stands together talking about what to do and when
         to do it the discussion get to the bounty hunter.  Arawn suggests
         again to teleport him away.  Chion simply nods and says that he
         can do that easily.  Though he comments that he would have to
         do it just before the party left in case of detection.

           Arawn suggests doing things to the horse brands if the horses
         will be taken.  But Zhou replies, "there are 12 horses?  It
         would be a wagon party of over 20 horses.  That draws attention
         even more.  Nobles have spare horses but 11 or 12 horses riding
         around with no riders will draw questions to be asked.  I still
         say we leave them.  Doing stuff to the brands is fine but some
         riders can spot their horses." He glances to Ben'dar for an
         example. "If someone sees the horses that can mean more attention."

           Arawn suggests to dispose of the Vong bodies.

           Zhou just shrugs. "If we leave them the Katai will discover
         the Vong.  In some way this could help us.  Their description
         and tactics here would actually benefit us.  The Katai would
         be on the look out for them and thus their movements might
         be more restricted.  On the other side of the coin though
         it would draw some awkward attention.  Personally I say burn
         all but one.  Let the locals see them.  I think the risk is
         less to our mission and might help us." He turns to Will. "That
         Vong head on the wagon must go though.  It will draw bugs and
         smell soon.  We can't afford to have it there."

           Caladan nods and clicks a few fingers.  "I can burn them quite
         nicely."

           Soon talk comes of the resurrected girl again.  Arawn speaks
         out to the group around.  "If she can survive through the next
         day we might be able to treat her. Rua mentioned that they can be
         affected by energies... sounds... but we must be careful. I will
         attempt to commune with other powers on this tomorrow when my
         energies are restored. Afterwards, and perhaps with the assistance
         of our bards, we can find a way to cause them to shrink and then
         spells to regenerate or regrow the missing parts of the baroness's
         body could be used to save her. Aside from this other options,
         though risky, might be to read the room where the baroness was in
         hopes of seeing how this was done in the first place or perhaps
         contacting her mind and attempting a telepathic communion. The
         insight could be valuable but the risk may end up proving to be
         too high."

           Zhou frowns and looks at Arawn. "I'm sorry.  But treating the
         girl could take weeks if not months.  We simply don't have time
         unless you remain behind.  I feel sorry for her but we do have
         a mission to complete.  If you can do something it should be
         quick within minutes."

           Arawn suggests exploring the buildings and then leaving quickly.

           Zhou shakes his head. "We went in each of the buildings but
         that jail house over there.  We may not have time to search
         it all.   I'm sure there is great treasure in the place and
         supplies.  But I would find it wrong in taking from the
         family.  But the bounty hunter stuff is fair game for me."

           Suddenly the father is seen walking toward the group.  He
         gives a faint but weak smile.  He finally gets a good look
         at this rag tag group of giants and small one.  He is clearly
         confused and intrigued but he shows no sign of wanting to know
         more.  "I want to thank all of you.  For your help here today.
         It was quite a help."

           Zhou turns and looks as if he is considering his words. "How
         are your children?"

           "The boy will do fine.  He is a tough one.  The girl doesn't
         seem to remember the last few hours.  She can't understand
         why.  I suppose that is good."  He glances over at the Vong
         piled around. "Of course the days to come will be hard to
         recover but I have family we can seek help from. I will need
         to bury ..." A tremble is heard in his voice and his lips waver
         a bit. "Bury my wife.  I haven't told them yet but will do
         so soon once I get the courage."  He looks to Raban then
         Zhou.  "Can you ask your..bodyguards or servants to take
         the children inside?  It is hot here and they need to rest
         for a bit."

           Zhou nods.  "Certainly.  Bu Da, Fu Sa, Kiet and Toban please
         help to take the kids into the house."

           The man bows slightly.  Then turns to leave but Zhou stops him.
         "Sir.  What will you tell the locals of today?"

           The man turns back and stares at the Vong then the party.
         "The truth. "  This is when the party tenses up and becomes
         a bit concerned.  "That these creatures attacked and felt like
         torture was fun.  They killed my wife.  Strangers..." he gives
         a slight raises grin that is more a frown. "Friends came to help.
         A noble and his escort.  They defeated the creatures and then
         helped me."

           Zhou nods in thanks. "I and my daughter are on a ...not so public
         tour. "  He waves a hand at Fremea ignoring his "wife" who is
         dressed in black and would be hard to explain. "I would not
         wish to bring undo attention to our simple house.  I only ask
         that you do not ...exaggerate certain details."

           The father looks at the party briefly and then at Zhou.
         "I understand. " He approaches Zhou and whispers very
         softly. "Some locals do not favor your house.  It would do no
         good to draw such attention."

            Zhou nods.  Inter-house warfare even if by words is common.
          But for some reason Zhou gets the sense the man means more
          than the house.  Could he realize this strange party is
          magic users?  how could he?  He never saw the party use
          magic that he knows of.  No.  He can't suspect that.

            Zhou asks finally. "Is there anything we can help to do?"

            The father shakes his head. "I will need to take my wife to
          her father.  She won't be buried here.  Once again thank you
          for your help here today." With that he takes a deep bow
          earned for nobles and walks away.  The four servants follow
          to take the kids inside.

            Arawn stares at the man and tries to use his powers he
          can to gauge the man.  It seems his intent is true and
          he feels the man is not misleading.  But there is only
          so much he can tell.  Aside from clear sorrow and anger the
          man feels to Arawn oddly hopeful.

            Arawn turns to the remainder of the group and mentions the
          protection of the Vong Rua again.  Some roll their eyes at
          the task.

            Caladan laughs at the thought of a disguise.  "The thing can't
          be hidden well.  It is too dangerous.  His head alone will
          take a great deal of work to even remotely look human."

            Farseeker nods.  "I say we let him to the wolves.  Do you
          suspect one of us will kill him?  Its not like the gods will
          point and smite him and he rolls over.  Do you think something
          will happen to him badly?"  He grins slightly at the thought
          of the history of the party's prisoners in amusement.

            As if the fates find the joke funny, Rua suddenly coughs.
          The party looks over to the Vong some distance away about
          30 feet away.  The Vong looks fine and bored sitting up
          against the wagon.  But then he coughs again and again.  He
          suddenly begins to try to stand.  Farseeker, Chion and Arawn
          rush over to prevent the Vong from escaping or to help him.
          The Vong simply stands and looks around.

            "Oh no.:  I forgot." Rua says and then looks around.  He
          sees the Vong that changed him and was turned into a arrow
          cushion by the party.  He begins to run toward it but
          Caladan and Farseeker stop him.  "No I need to get to him
          and ..get the...no..let me go."

            "No weapons friend." Farseeker says sarcastically.  But
          he then realizes the Vong were stripped of items.

            "If you don't something bad will happen!" Rua pleads.

            Zhou asks, "What?"

            The Vong simply struggles and suddenly sues his boot to
          stamp Farseeker's own foot.  Farseeker looses his grip
          briefly and the Vong escapes the grip of Caladan.  He rushes
          over to the dead Vong and begins to use his tied up hands to
          search the leathers.  But he is quickly captured again and
          pulled off.

            "Its not there...they must be...take me to the shaper."

            "Why?" Zhou asks again.

            "She has a implant in my head...I need to ...no.." His
          nose begins to bleed.  "Its too late!  I forgot about it.
          The pills I needed...its too late...get away...get away."

            Arawn begins to examine the Vong carefully trying to figure
          out what is going on.  Could he knock him out and work on
          him?  Cast magic or get Z'leyra to do so?  Confused by the
          bleeding nose he suddenly sees the Vong's eyes begin to
          show signs of human blood-shot effect.  A cobweb of red
          streaks.  Two seconds later Rua pushes Arawn away.

            "You can't save me now.  Its too late....she told me this
          would happen.  I thought...I thought it was a trick of theirs.
          It is real!"

            Rua collapses to the ground on his knees and his hands grip
          the side of his head.  Suddenly Arawn hears a snap of tissue
          and what can only be bone.  He soon realizes it is the skull
          of the Vong breaking in front of his eyes.  Arawn feels helpless
          but has no clue what to do.  He glances at Z'leyra but she
          only figures a quick oblivion might save him.  But is there
          time?  As options are thought of in the mind's eye the Vong
          lurches forward.

            Suddenly one final loud crack is heard and the top of his
          skull seems to explode outward away from the party.  Blood,
          gray matter and gore spray out.  A large brown mass seems
          to fly out as well and then Rua falls to the ground.

            Stunned the party stand around looking at this mess that
          only took a few seconds.  The shaper controls their slaves
          and makes it hard to escape?  Those carrying the children
          shield their eyes from this horror and quietly move on.

            Farseeker simply shakes his head. "Was it something I said?"

            Arawn glares at the remark and then checks Rua but he finds
          no signs of life.  It is as it seems his head just exploded.
          Finally the language worm thing seems to ooze out of the Vong's
          ears and seems to dissolve in front of Arawn in a goo.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: Minor update to Update/Info link "Important updates" at
             the bottom to note the last update in case folks need
             to find it again later.

         GM: For talk of Vong disguise don't forget the picture on the
             website for a view.  Might be hard to disguise some without
             some very hard work.

         GM: Unali wishes to leave almost immediately.  So if there is
             nothing else then I will move the party along either in
             the next update or next week's.  If there is anything to
             do let me know.  If Unali or others don't want it then
             Chion will teleport the prisoner away.  Then the party
             will move on.  If anything final is to be done here let
             me know and we can move to a travel phase.