[pnpgm] Game Update #64 - File #555 - Party goes shopping

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Fri Jan 15 06:49:17 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #64 in sequence (file #555)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <I like how well things were fit together. And the bath scene
          did wonders for Raban's placement with his Goddess, he has been
          very lax about his duties lately.

          <Horsemanship will just have to wait for next trip, no problem.
          Here he would like to learn written katai bit I am unsure that
          can be fit in well for story. It likely would need to be in
          private unless Lady Lin Mong is tutoring her bodyguard as
          practice for her own skills.

          <Remember people, use the cover names in your posts, at least
          the spoken ones
        GM: Ack.  Well different time period.  Flashing underage girls
            and gawking at them.  Now you have that guy from TV stalking
            you and asking questions.

        From Kiet: [Re: Porter help]
          The next chance Kiet gets, he's buying Raban a tall, cold,
          strong drink.

         [Julis 24th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province, Shantou city]
         [Weather: Cloudy, Temperature: 66-98]

         [Time: 1:50pm]

           Waiting inside the tavern, Kiet buys Raban a nice cold beer
         for helping with the bags.  Soon it seems his master beckons
         for the servant.

         [Time: 2:00pm]

           Zhou waits for Arawn and Caladan to join him.  He looks
         side to side.  "Where is that boy with the horses?"

           Soon the stable boy and Kiet come with the three horses from
         the stables.  Arawn and Caladan mount up.  Zhou glances to the
         right and notices several people looking out from the tavern
         windows.  They could be nobles so he plays his role.  He
         approaches his horse and stands beside it.  He glares at Kiet
         who stares back.  Zhou clears his throat.  After several more
         seconds he clears his throat again.  "Do you expect me to get
         on my horse by myself?"

           Kiet rolls his eyes and then realizes what the noble wants
         to be done.  He rushes over and leans over placing his palms
         up and cupped.  Zhou nods and then uses Kiet's outstretched
         hands as a lift up and climbs up onto the horse.  Kiet almost
         loses his balance but the action was so quick the pain was
         just minimal.

           Zhou then reaches into his hip coin bag and pulls some coins
         out.  Sifting through them he tosses a copper coin to the
         stable boy. "Good work lad.  I expect all the horses to be
         clean, groomed, fed and bathed by morning."  The stable boy
         nods eagerly and bows rushing off.  Zhou then tosses 3 copper
         coins to Kiet. "Be sure to get our clothing cleaned.  We shall
         return before night fall.  Try not to be a nuisance to the
         other guests."

           The three then ride off down the street.

           "Tiehul mentioned his contact was a fence.  A dealer in
         some of the local black markets.  It could be hard to find
         him.  Tiehul mentioned he sometimes has a "office" in several
         taverns.  It could be rough places.  But we'll find him.
         then maybe he can direct us to those who use the strange logo
         on their business."

           Zhou leads the party toward the south-west district of the
         city which seems to be the more run down section of the city.
         As the crowd does give way to the horses during the most
         populated areas the three soon find in this section of town
         the rougher looking people don't seem to care who is on the
         horses.

         [Time: 3:06pm]

            After an hour of searching and asking qyestions the first
         big lead sends the trio to a middle class tavern.  The place
         has seen better times maybe 2-3 decades ago.

           Zhou approaches the barkeep and considers ordering a drink
         but seeing the dirty glasses reconsiders. "We are looking for
         Ming Yu.  We have heard he frequents here?"

           "What's it to you?" The barkeep simply stares at the trio.

           "Business." Zhou replies.  The man considers to stare.  Zhou
         then reaches in and grabs a silver coin. "Would this help to
         loosen that mouth?"

           The man slips the coin under his hand and into his shirt pocket.
         "He was here few hours ago.  Just missed him.  He goes from place
         to place.  He can be found at the Sun Tzu bar."  He then gives
         some directions.

         [Time: 3:51pm]

           Some time later and two more bars later the trio learns that
         the fence known as Ming now has a office.  Finally the trio
         arrive at the office and find it a very small storefront beside
         a pottery shop.  The trio learns that the shop is now closed.

           Caladan asks, "now what?"

           Zhou shakes his head.  "I don't know."

           "Looking for Ming?" A man nearby asks.  He is holding several
         bags on his raises arms. "He is usually in every morning
         but mostly around noon.  Should be here tomorrow."

           "Does he live around here?" Zhou asks.

           "Don't know.  He just opened next to my shop here a few weeks
         ago.  All kinds of people in and out all day.  Little to my
         shop."  He slams the bags onto the porch of the pottery shop.

           "Thank you."  Zhou then turns to Arawn and Caladan. "We'll have
         to come back tomorrow.  Might as well head back to the inn."

                        ----------------------------------

         [Time: 2:40pm]

           Ben'dar, Kell, Kiet and Z'leyra walks to the west toward the
         middle class districts and where they are told has the good
         shops and horse markets.

           The crowds are intense even this time of day and in some places
         arm to arm, shoulder to shoulder.  All are wary of thieves and
         problems.  Every few steps at one point all get bumped or shoved.
         The only thing to help the four is their height which is slightly
         bigger than most in this area.

           Kell and Kiet have to read the shop doors.  All the while Ben'dar
         walks and looks grumpy or maybe he's just learning how to scowl
         from Chion?  While Ben'dar can't understand the language, Z'leyra
         can't read the signs.  Eventually the first shop the four find
         seems to be a herbalist shop.  Z'leyra and Kiet enter while
         the other two wait outside and scan the crowds.  The two soon
         find the shop to be more a spices and candle shop.  It does
         have some light herbs but nothing special.  Mostly for cooking
         or smells.

           The group moves on and finds several gem and jewelry shops.
         They seem decent enough but most of them are in lighter
         metals like tin or copper.  More suited for middle class or
         lower class people.  None of the items are large enough to
         be enhanced.  But since such items would be illegal finding
         such in Katai openly would be slim at best.

           The group then finds another herbalist shop which this one
         is quite stocked and a smaller shop only about 30 feet wide.
         This one does seem to be more for medical supplies.  There
         are shelves of bandages, ointments for burns, infection,
         insects, pimples, rashes and a few others.  There are herbs
         for healing and soothing.  Empty flasks, healing kits and
         healing knives.  Nothing seems rare or extraordinary.

           As the Healer, Acrobat and Merchant shop inside Ben'dar
         stands impatiently outside.  He scowls at those passing by
         and sees other foreigners.  From their body types what he
         knows of Cholan they look to be Cerulean but he isn't sure.

           Two boys rush up and jabber as they bump into Ben'dar.
         He turns to scowl at the 8-9 year olds who just back up
         and quickly scurry away.  Based on their open palms and
         talking it appears they were too distracted to be thieves.
         Ben'dar checks himself just in case but finds nothing missing.

           As Ben'dar twirls around to see what is taking the group so
         long to buy stuff he is hit by a sudden stench.  He looks down
         to notice a elderly old woman with white hair.  He stands a
         good foot over her and she looks up.  Her breath is foul and her
         mouth is missing a few teeth.  She must be in her 60s and
         jabbers a few words and scowls back.  She rounds the warrior
         and saunters on her way.

           Ben'dar crosses his arms at these rude so called civilized
         people and waits.

         [Time: 4:15pm]

           After another long period of entering other shops, Ben'dar
         finally gets relieved when they find a large horse market.
         It seems half the street is covered by corrals. There are
         corrals for sheep, cattle, horses, donkeys, burros, bulls,
         cows and mules.

           From first glance Ben'dar sees the horses are mostly for
         farm stock.  They are draft quality with low backs and soft
         hooves from the looks of it used to a life of hard work but
         light freedom of movement.  Kiet, Kell and Ben'dar soon wade
         through the corral to find the best riding horse.  Kiet wishes
         to buy a mare and it takes time to go through the 30-40 odd
         horses.

           For almost 45 minutes the group looks at the various horses
         and appraises them.  Kell sees his chance to avoid the boredom
         and head to a bar down the street.  he decides to pop in for
         a quick drink and then return.  After a short while Kell returns
         to the corral.

           Soon a decent horse is found and the haggling begins.

                        ----------------------------------

         [Time: 2:00pm]

           Before Zhou leaves, Unali and Farseeker mount their own horses.
         Unali is dressed in a well tailored riding suit fit for a lady
         of her status.  Farseeker looks the same as he always does.
         She looks down at Zhou and smiles. "I want to see the city and
         surroundings before it gets dark my lord. I should not be long."

           Zhou frowns and looks confused.  For weeks she has been quiet.
         Ever since the party mentioned she would be coming to Shantou
         she has been even more quiet than Chion.  The few words spoken
         have been no clue as to why.

           Zhou nods, "of course." He glances at Farseeker. "You will
         protect her."

           Confused Zhou watches the two ride off and to the north side
         street.

                        ----------------------------------

           Strie'bog decides to remain in his room and relax at the other
         At the noble inn, Shu decides to spend the remainder of the
         afternoon in her own room.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Monday...

         GM: Very small update.  Its a rough one.  I will flesh it
             out a bit for next update.  There is actually a few things
             going on in email behind the scenes.  With folks split up
             it is a bit harder to coordinate.  But in a pbem it is faster
             to control overall "stuff".  Of course if one part of the
             group slows things down then the others suffer.  But I don't
             expect much of that.

         GM: Arawn - Anything in particular to do in city?  Do you want to
               ask the Fence any particular questions?  Can add that in
               next update for "tomorrow."

             Ben'dar - Just scowl and growl or scowl? :) j/k

             Fremea - I have some ideas from our email awhile back but
                if anything else let me know for this afternoon. or
                the next day.

             Kell - Will likely get an email this weekend.

             Raban - If any particular city errand let me know. Otherwise
                will just assume stay in tavern around Fremea.

             Whitney/Will - Will assume you hang out with Raban/Fremea
               for a little bit in the noble tavern before maybe going
               to your wagon to whittle or other inn to rest.  Unless
               you state otherwise for this afternoon, night and
               tomorrow.

         GM: I glossed over the shopping for now.  Keep in mind if you
             look for good stuff you won't find it.  That large Ruby
             enhanced gem likely won't be sitting on a public counter.
             So 99.9% of stuff will be non-magical.  I'll go into greater
             results of the shopping on next update.