[pnpgm] Bowyer

John Hooten jhooten at windstream.net
Fri Feb 26 01:31:38 CET 2010

Raban grins, "Why yes, I am somewhat skilled in making Bows and Arrows,
though I still have not managed to make one strong enough for me to use
comfortably. My bow is almost as tall as I am so there is no way it can
be used on a horse. You would need one made very stiff and strong for
use with shorter arrows and that looses some in accuracy. I never took
the time to make any of those since I had no intent to ride. I make
Longbows for hunting and other uses that need better accuracy and
penetration. For any decent strength in a short bow like you desire, you
need quality woods, some horn and other parts from Deer or Goat and
glues most often made from animals as well. Metal can be used in place
of some of the Horn but I am not skilled in making them that way. With
the supplies handy, the right tools and staying in one place with a
workshop, it could be made in a few days. You need to glue layers of
wood and horn or sinew and bind them to shape. They need to bake in an
oven or at least in bright sunlight until they are done and that takes
most the time. Without proper tools you would have to carefully trim the
wood layers and that would take quite a while to do as well. A weak
ShortBow can be made of unlayered wood quickly but it would be quite
pitiful in general. Possibly a metal shortbow could be made that would
not work too badly, but that would require even more tools and work space."