[pnpgm] Game Update #69 - File #566 - Shopping is finalized

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Tue Feb 2 07:29:17 CET 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #69 in sequence (file #566)

        From Raban: [Re: Actions]
          <'jhooten at windstream' should replace 'jhooten at binary.net' as that
          one will be retired finally after 20 or 30 years of use or so. At
          least that will get rid of 500 spam emails a day!

          <I could not find a way to change the email address on the server

          <LOL Fremea could have dressed him any way she wants and he would
          not complain.. much. That is his role and it helps draw looks
          away from her to some extent.

          (It could get hard to maintain dignity if she went too silly
          though so it could have caused some unneeded deaths of fools.
          But that too could fit the role.

          "She's a spit fire isn't she." As he wraps the tape around his
          neck.

          "Leaving them with the clerk this evening is acceptable." <There
          is some confusion on timing with evening and tomorrow? But I
          believe the correct one was evening.>
        GM: Ack.  I've added the other email address.  you can unsubscribe
            the other one when the time is near.  As to time confusion
            this is why I use headers.  Julis being Burton's form of
            July in his calendar system.  I try to split the sections
            up and use a new header when the day or time changes.  I
            note the time roughly as well.  If there is a better
            system to it then let me know.  I do it for my own sanity
            to keep track for months and for you guys to figure out
            when / where things are happening.

         [Julis 25th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province, Shantou city]

           Late afternoon at the Blue Crystal Inn the tailor meets with
         Toban to get him clothing made.  He knows he is doing his part
         in this role but he can't help but laugh to himself.  The
         wee Faerry could ask him to dress in rags and he would have to.
         But at least it isn't some play doll or dress up gown for some
         tea party.  He has heard little girls do that.  OF course big
         girls do as well.  He recalls this one noble gal who wanted
         him to dress up in a certain pink outfit after a night of
         entertainment in her private bedchambers.

           The tailor then whispers in his ear.  "She's a spit fire isn't
         she." As he wraps the tape around Raban's neck.

           Toban replies softly so as to not mess up the measurement, "As
         the Master's only living child she can do as she pleases. But I am
         honor bound to do as she asks and many have died from not showing
         her the respect she is due."

           The tailor pats Toban on the shoulder. He whispers back. "So
         we all.  It is our duty in life."  He sighs with a clear
         sign of resignation of how the caste system works in Katai.

           The tailor mentions a hat for Toban.

           "No," Toban replies, "I do not like hats as they can be
         distractions. I trust in your judgment of such details, but be
         sure to allow for fast fluid movements. I am faster and more
         flexible than most men even though I am so much larger. That is
         an advantage I prefer to keep."

           The tailor nods and makes final notes on his parchment platter.
         "Very well.  I'll get to this right away."  He mentions that he
         can leave it with the clerk tonight.

           Toban nods, "Leaving them with the clerk this evening is
         acceptable."

           The tailor then quickly leaves to get to work on the clothing.

                              -----------------------

           Back across town the trio meets with the fence.  For now Arawn
         has done most of the talking.  Zhou was going to do this but Arawn
         seems to be doing a good job.  Plus a quiet noble can be just
         as good for emphasis.

           Arawn gets directions to the Yank Brothers warehouse.  Not
         a common Katai style name.

           Still agitated after finding out the risks of having those
         who are aligned with magic in his office, Saleem finally
         settles in his chair gruffly.

           Arawn asks about possible areas of towns safe for magic or
         ways to distract detection.  Saleem crosses his arms.  "I know
         no such things or care to.  I deal in goods not such things.
         Tiehul was always more into that than I ever was.  For that
         I can not help you."

           Arawn finally asks about the black market and maybe how to
         find such in town.

           Saleem perks up finally.  "That I could help.  There are four
         groups that control the black markets.  Some are more oriented
         to the underworld but one is mostly for the common people to
         find things they need or sell items mostly.  One is controlled
         by a street gang and the other two are controlled by a big
         crime lord...or so they say.  To me he is simply a business man,
         like myself of course.  They move from place to place and never
         stay longer than a week in one place.  They stay in secret empty
         warehouses or even in plain sight in the public markets.  Most
         require passwords for the good vendors.  I could supply a few
         of the most recent passwords."

           Saleem then goes into detail of a black market warehouse near
         the center of the city that should still have this week's best
         selection of goods Arawn and friends may need.  Prices will be
         high though and as with anything risk is involved by visiting
         such places as city guards are bribed but some tend to be harder
         to pay off and thus want to make a name for themselves.

           Zhou finally figures the trio has learned all they can from this
         person and stands back up.  "Thank you for your time."  He
         hesitates and wonders what is customary here.  Do you ask for
         a fee price or just donate.  He knows some say time is money.
         The trio has been here for almost two hours.  Zhou reaches into
         his pocket and grabs a couple gold coins.  He places one on the
         table as a sign of payment for Saleem's time.  Saleem just looks
         up and stares expressionless.  Zhou places another gold coin on
         the table and Saleem reaches out and cups them.

           Caladan frowns at the payment.  To pay a thief who would likely
         sell out the trio in a heartbeat for a pile of coins.  Then to
         pay 2 gold for a few bits of information.

           As Zhou starts for the door, Saleem speaks up.  "I would prefer
         you not to return here.  If you are being watched or followed
         I'm probably dead already.  But if you return again the risk is
         too great for me."  He then gives directions to a local tavern
         where the barkeep can find him if it must be done. "But I would
         rather not see you again.  Nothing personal.  Just the risk is
         too high and benefit too low."

           Zhou nods and leaves the store.  Zhou, Arawn, Farseeker and
         Caladan mount their horses.  Farseeker explains he needs to get
         back that Unali should be up and needing an escort.  He rides
         off fast to get back to the Inn to relieve Raban who must be
         guarding the three females there.

           Mounted Arawn glances around.  No one seems to be paying them
         much attention in this area.  He speaks softly to Zhou about
         the lead of the night demons and this secret cult.

           "It is a good lead.  We'll have to tell the others tonight.
         Looks like we are on track." Zhou wipes his forehead and then
         drives his horse down the street.

           Arawn requests to go to the Yank brothers warehouse.  It
         doesn't take long to find the place.  It is a two story
         building about 500 by 500 feet it looks.  The windows are all
         greasy from years of non cleaning.

           After circling the place a couple times the trio finds no
         logo or even a company name.  It seems when it was sold the
         place stripped such.  Behind the warehouse is a small alley
         with single man door and a few large wagon sized doors.  A
         external staircase goes to the second floor to another door.

           Arawn finally decides to look into the windows as best he
         can and sees the place is indeed clean and empty.  He can
         see a few scraps of wood and maybe crate cloth but that's
         about it.

           Caladan calls that he found a piece of broken crate near a
         trash bin around the corner.  He shows the side of the crate
         to the other two.  It shows a fainted black painted logo that
         matches that of the one on the scroll.  But it could mean
         nothing or everything.  Tiehul and Saleem both mention the logo
         is somewhat common in Katai as it is a semi religious old symbol
         of life and death.

           Soon the trio leaves the area and does a few hours of light
         shopping in the nearby markets.  Finally toward late afternoon
         the trio heads back to the Inn.

                              -----------------------

           Farseeker arrives back at the Inn a short while before Unali
         wakes up.  Unali and Farseeker go back into town.  Unali stayed
         late in bed missing the breakfast meal.  She wakes up a few
         hours after most of the party has dispersed.  She gets a quick
         relaxing private bath and then gets some late food at the tavern.
         Farseeker had been waiting for her to arrive and sits with her.
         They both discuss the previous day and the town she grew up in.

           They get their horses and ride into town toward the markets she
         is familiar with.  She spends times in various shops from weapon,
         luxury items, clothing to food stores.  She uses Farseeker to
         haul and store the goods on her horse as any loyal servant would
         do for her.

           Halfway through shopping she stops at a clothing store and
         tells Farseeker she will buy several sets of clothing fitting
         her station and her real life.  Farseeker agrees to stand near
         by but Unali gives him a break and tells him to go get a drink
         at a nearby tavern.  A bodyguard doesn't disagree but he knows
         Unali can take care of herself.  So he spends the next hour
         or so at the tavern relaxing and listening to some music.

                              -----------------------

           Back at the wood shop, Kell begins to select pieces of wood
         to buy from the merchant.  Soon he starts to haggle for the
         final price and settles for a deal.  Since Kell has no horse
         as they walked here the load is a bit awkward to carry and
         store.  Many of the pieces are long.  The clerk adds another
         few coins to the final price and says he'll deliver the load
         to the Blue Crystal Inn.  There Whitney and Kell can load it
         onto the wagon for safe keeping.

           Kell and Z'leyra exit the store and enter back into the hot
         afternoon sun.  Kiet is staring at a old man down the street
         hobbling on a cane.  Kell glances but only sees the back of the
         old man's head.  Finally the trio head off to explore more shops
         and do more window shopping.  Kell keeps an eye out as well as
         Kiet on those who might be following or watching them.

           Hours later the trio tired walks back to the Blue Crystal Inn
         for the night's meal and meeting.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: A short update for now.  Here is what I need.  If you need
             to do any more shopping let me know by next update.  I
             want to get all that finalized.  Some have pending stuff
             in emails but if anything new let me know so I can
             finish up.  Friday I will move the party to night 2,
             the night meal and anything that may occur that night while
             folks sleep.  So let me know of any last minute actions that
             need to be done by Friday as well.  During the meal post
             what you have learned.  I could paraphrase it but the
             fun in role playing is how it is said.  A secret you tell
             one person can spread around the room and be a totally
             different meaning at the end.  So you can either post
             it in your own words or in your paraphrasing.  Shu will
             likely cast her ritual in next update.  Some behind the
             scenes stuff is in place.  Maybe those things will be
             revealed or not.  If there is a slew of last minute actions
             for the day I may move the night stuff to Monday.  I doubt
             that will happen as most haven't been posting lately.  So
             plan is to start work on the update Tuesday night and
             Wednesday.  Thursday will be rushed for time.  But will
             finish it likely then.  So basically need 1) last minute
             plans for day/night 2) last minute shopping 3) spells to
             cast during ritual if distraction is done.  4) what is
             said in summary during the night's meal.