[pnpgm] Game Update #114 - File #885 - Escapes & Bruises

Scott Adams longshotgm at netzero.com
Tue Aug 31 09:19:21 CEST 2010

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar,

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.furvert.net/longshotgm/pbem/index.htm
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshotgm at netzero.com

     Game Update #114 in sequence (file #885)

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Well, little Kiet is anxious to go shopping.  He has a short
          list of items for his own use.  He figures since this is a
          trading town, maybe some things might be more available than in
          other towns in Katai.  Kiet is seen privately taking to Kell
          about the prospects and possibilities.

          If there is time, Kiet wants to seek out a large, flawless pearl
          (for the Master to give his wife), some Aramanth seeds, small
          chunks of rowan wood...maybe sticks about 1' long or so...and
          haunt the jewel shops for some Smarag...for the daughter of the
          Master, of course... whe likes pretty rocks....yeah...that's the
          story and I'm sticking to it.

          Kiet would also like to buy some new clothes.  Summer weight....
          and breathable....sheesh!

          ----
          I was reading the update this morning and I realized how much I
          was enjoying it.  I thought I'd say 'Good Job!' to Scott.  A fun
          'episode'.
        GM: Ack.  Really?  I actually thought it was lacking and rushed.
            Just think if I had the time to do what all I wanted with the
            update. To me it was a low rating update but I'm flattered you
            enjoyed it.  Thanks for the words.  It means a lot. Makes me
            want to continue.  Now the bribe checks will be sent in the mail.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          [I agree with Dave.  Great Post Scott!  Thanks for it!] ---
          ----
          Kell has been very quit on using any Katai-hating skills, in
          other words the banned magic.  After hearing this he finally
          speaks his mind.  "We've been warned over and over to not ....
          -------------
          [On the pills for the baroness.]

          Ha'Kell isn't a healer, he knows this well.  But now is the
          time for something.  When next the Baronness is awake, he
          talks with her. "Lady, there is something we can try.....
          -----------------
          [Augado 2nd, 1634TH]

          In the Market Kell looks for interesting items with Kiet.  He's
          interested in many of the same things as the acrobat.  The two
          share much in common, even though Kiet is a foot shorter and
          much, much more agile than the half-elf.  He makes sure to buy
          at least 5 extra vials, and more cooking spices and salt since
          he dumped his out.  Kell happily teaches Kiet as much as
          possible, and tries to increase his skills as a merchant too.

          He looks for armor for his arms.  Leather or steel bracers,
          whatever is available.

          Ha'Kell examines the wine market, and local spears.  He still
          has a few items to sell, items he's carried halfway around the
          world at this point.  If a great sale can be made, he'll take
          the most profit possible.

          [Given the chance, Ha'Kell wants to visit the black markets...
          not sure if that can happen now or not.  Will wait and see.]
          ----
          In the tavern, Kell hides his smile at the news of the escaped
          wizard.  This makes him happy and he'll tell the party all about
          it when everyone is together.  He's tempted to pick the pockets
          of the slumped guard, but it's been years since he's actually
          stolen...

          A bar fight, amazing!  It has been months since Ha'Kell has been
          in a good bar fight.  With his newly learned hand to hand, he
          doesn't need to draw his daggers.  This is gonna be fun, even if
          Zhou won't appreciate it. [I have two main pictures.  Either -
          Kell and Kiet each grabbing extra beers from the guys standing
          to fight, and sitting under some tables enjoying the free beer...
          Or - wading through the mess to get to Chion and Strie'Bog.    I
          suppose the second is better. ]  He downs his beer as it begins
          and says to Kiet, "Let's get them and get out of here."  He....
        GM: Ack. Flattery will get you everywhere but not Kell. :)  A
            bar fight is a old rpg trick.  Nothing new.  A bit boring
            most times.  But in this case it adds a couple minor aspects
            to Chion's possible past. :)

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          OOC: Scott, in regards to your mention of Mana Shield, I am
          aware. Thanks:) It's why I asked the question a while back about
          whether it could be detected, if only for a moment. Without
          having to cover a number of related thoughts on the topic Arawn
          mainly casts it when casting spells with a prolonged duration, to
          minimize the chance of detection over the seconds or minutes a
          spell might last (better a ' blip' than a steady signal in his
          eyes), or at least hamper detection  attempts to pinpoint things
          if an initial 'blip' appears to alert someone.
          After listening to Caladan and Kell's issues with the continued
          use   of magic Arawn replies,

          "Whether or not I agree with all the issues brought up....
          Arawn listens as Kell speaks with the baroness, adding,
          "The pills were found among the strange creatures and we....
          If Zhou is willing to cover costs for new healing supplies Arawn
          will purchase some for the party. Also, are there any unusual or
          useful herbs beyond simple/standard healing herbs?
          Scott, was there any time to speak/reply to the wizard before he
          teleported away? Arawn would likely have said/asked something if
          there was time. Otherwise he'll pick up the object, examine it,
          then carefully stow it away, preferably where it will prove
          challenging to detect with a magic sensor.
        GM: Ack.  Blip or a rare Hurricane spell can be detected.  When
            the Katai have been doing this tracking stuff for centuries
            they have tweaked their skills.  So blips are far more
            common to track than the rare hurricane spell.  Just
            something to consider.  Mana Shield is mainly for mental
            connection to the mind not really to block spell or
            magic/mana detection.  I did explain that in the answer
            to the initial question.  Thanks for posting a day early.
            It REALLY helped.  For Monday not so much but for Thursday
            it means a great deal more.  Early posts up that update
            since I am very limited on time that night to work and
            a night early would help to get some of it done.  But
            again I know how schedules go.  But it was appreciated to
            have the post a day early. :)

        From Kiet: [Re: Trade]
          <<Scott....has Kiet ever been to Teos in his trading travel
          days?>>
        GM: Ack. Quick scan of sheet shows no Teos in it. So guess not.
            But frankly you can say yes or not.  Not a big deal.   You
            might have seen Teos ships in Lemasa though for sure.

         [Julis 29th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains, Shantou Province]
         [          Around 60 odd miles south of Shantou city]

         [Time: 10:29pm]

           Caladan makes his warning of magic in Katai.  A warning that
         has been talked about for the last 3 months but some seem to
         need more prodding.

           Kell has been very quiet on using any Katai-hating skills, in
         other words the banned magic.  After hearing this he finally
         speaks his mind.  "We've been warned over and over to not use our
         skills, except in dire need.  I agree with Caladan.  We need to
         not use any unless absolutely necessary!  We're carrying too
         much.  Whilst I have materials I plan to use, I've not begun
         any work.  Not until after we leave this land."

           "I for one do not want to be captured.  Captured for just
         existing! Please everyone, from now on, no more unless it is
         truly life and death."

           Zhou nods his head in agreement.  "It may be frankly too late.
         We could be watched right now.  All they need is enough men to
         take us out.  If there are just 3 or 4 people like Shu in
         this land who can track on a wide area using the map spell
         ritual thing then we have been tracked since entering Katai.
         Each spell be it a minor one could be a cookie crumb for them
         to track us."

           Arawn listens to Zhou, Caladan and Kell.  He has also heard
         Kiet talk openly about this topic.  Do they just not know what
         he does or can they not see common sense?  Could it be Arawn
         who is blinded by the backing of the gods.  For some time he
         has been in lands where magic is common like Marentia and the
         Dark Lands.  Even the Zen'da plains have common shamanic
         magics and the Vassa have their druid traditions.  But this is
         a strange odd land.  A land where the common street beggar is
         allowed to kill a magic user and get away with murder if he
         or she can do so.  A odd land where the double standard is
         thick as smoke in the mines of Kril Schrandor.  Where the
         government openly warrants the death or at best the intense
         torture of wizards.  Yet the same land secretly hires thugs
         and secret societies to hunt these people down with little or
         no oversight or questions.  Arawn is amazed how humans work.
         They blind themselves to the truth yet hide behind some
         lofty goals of keeping the peace.  Even Arawn can see that
         this is really one big cover up.  What better way to keep
         peace in a Empire than to invent some enemy even if that
         enemy betrayed the nation many centuries ago.  Arawn looks
         grim at these thoughts and nods.

           Arawn then replies to the group.  "Whether or not I agree with
         all the issues brought up regarding this topic I will abide by
         your wishes and concerns."

           "You must understand Arawn.  If it were just one or two men
         on some fanatical witch hunt then magic would be no big deal.
         But we have a full empire of them from the low city patrol
         to the highest nobles in leadership here."  Zhou looks up to the
         night sky for a brief time as if in memory. "We have lost
         many of our apprentices and even experienced wizards here
         over the many years.  Why the High Elder allows them to go
         here for some foolish errand or whim of their master I do
         not know or understand.  If I were in power I would not
         allow it.  Our resources are too thin as it is.  The masters,
         mostly the Chaos ones, train them well to avoid detection and
         how to survive their tasks.  But they do not.  Frankly we know
         Tiehul's friend was behind some of that.  But it can't explain
         it all for those who never meet Tiehul.  The detectors are
         hit and miss.  But using magic just increases our chances of
         detection by bigger magics like Shu's mysterious one.  If her
         and her master had knowledge of it then that knoweldge has to
         be here.  It doesn't take a Ticasi scholar to realize if
         you detect a spike here...spike there...spike there and then
         follow it on a map that they are on the highway and seem to be
         going east.  You simply can then predict the next spike of magic
         if that is how the ritual works.  Your mists are long spells
         not just quick 2-3 second pulses.  I don't know how effective
         those shield things you use are but even that is magic.  We
         can easily assume the Katai can look for common spells.  These
         might include Invisibility, Healing and such of that style.  That
         common apprentices use.  But then again not many would use
         your mist or things like Kiet's spell when he yells at the
         sky like a weirdo like he did on the ship in that crow's nest
         thing waving the flag.   I suspect those would be near impossible
         to track but I just don't know.  There are seven million people
         here.  If we do the math let's say 1% are anti-magic.  That's
         what?  Around 70,000 people? There are 20 cities.  Let's
         assume half are in cities and half outside.  That is around
         1,500 in a city.  Which I doubt there is really that many
         around so they must be in the wile like that group who watched
         the bridge and detected us.  Just something to think about."

           For the first time some in the party detect slight dissent in
         Zhou about the High Elder.  Even his most loyal servant has
         doubts?  Maybe Zhou is human after all.

         [Time: 10:45pm]

           After the pills are rediscovered he group considers their
         options.  The group speaks for some time but the baroness
         is still hard at sleep.  Some consider doing the pill thing
         right away and others consider doing it the next day.  It
         is casually decided to wait till she wakes.

                                     *************

         [Julis 30th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Around 60 odd miles south of Shantou city]

         [Time: 7:15am]

           The party wakes up this morning and packs up for another
         hard trip on the highway not knowing what comes next.  The
         carnival grounds are 4 days in the past and Crossroads is
         just 2 or 3 days at most from now.

           The baroness wakes up to have breakfast with the others.
         It is decided to build up her strength for possible healing
         by giving her food strong for the body like ham and eggs.  She
         sits quietly by the morning camp and watches the others.  She
         hasn't been too conversant with the party lately.  She has
         been studying them and figuring out if she can trust the
         party or not.  In fact only a day ago she started to be awake
         more than 3 hours at time.  For the first two days she
         was too out of it for any talking or other options.

           Ha'Kell isn't a healer, he knows this well.  But now is the time
         for something. "Lady, there is something we can try.  There are
         hints these pills may help.  But they may also hurt.  We don't
         know either way.  We do know those who captured you meant you
         harm, and we want to help you.  I can give you a pill and see
         what happens, but it is up to you.  My suggestion is to try one,
         even with the risk.  Do you want to try one?"

           Arawn listens as Kell speaks with the baroness, adding, "The
         pills were found among the strange creatures and we were able to
         discover from one of their victims that they somehow are used to
         influence and control these 'growths', perhaps in conjunction
         with vibrations or energy. I wish we knew more but this is the
         only lead we have but will stand by your side and assist however
         we can."

           The House Jian baroness May Win looks to the group carefully.
         She studies the features of Arawn and Kell.  One wears a hat
         and the other has long hair.  Why wont' they show their ears
         like the rest of the group?  She hasn't gotten to know the
         party due to time and travel.  The closest she seems to have
         gotten is with Z'leyra for some reason.

           May lowers her head in shame and thinks for a few moments.
         "Those creatures...were vile..   I have never been so ill
         treated before by anyone."   She looks up and then to the
         few around her. "These pills...they must be cursed pills
         full of magic."

           A collective mental sigh occurs as those around her fear
         this would happen.  If she refuses they may have to force
         it on her to save her life.  How long can the coral be
         in her body without some maintenance or support?  It has
         been 4 days now and she is only stable but not improving.

           Caladan kneels beside her.  "We destroyed those creatures
         since they were evil.  We were lucky to be led there to the
         grounds on business.  We could not leave you and the others
         behind.  They seem to be just creatures with manufactured
         pills.  Pills made from ingredients found in nature.  We
         believe they are not magical and would not dare to use them
         on you if they were."

           Caladan tells the truth more or less.  Arawn and others
         sensed no magic from the pills.  They are made from things
         found in nature though granted from the Vong world.

           "The others?  They are safe?"  May asks.

           "The family was saved except for the mother and one servant.
         We saved the children from a fate that could've been worse
         than yours. "  Caladan explains the results of the fight.

           "I will want to help them if I can someday.  If I do this
         what are the risks?" May Win asks.

           "Frankly we just don't know.  The healers can only do so
         much with their skills and herbs.  This pill could even
         destroy it or control its growth.  You could of course
         be harmed or even die from it.  But we will do all we can
         in our power to stop that." Caladan places his hand on hers
         and then smiles.  For some reason this brings a faint smile
         to her face.

           "I will need to think about it some time.  I will let you
         know soon.  Is that all right?" May Win asks.  Caladan nods
         and the others move away from her to consider her options.

         [Time: 12:13pm]

           For the last three hours May Win has slept in the wagon while
         Z'leyra and Arawn try to study the pills.  Minute flakes are
         taken for study and the pills are examined with every sense
         both has from smell to even subtle taste from a flake to
         understand what it is made from.  There simply isn't gear
         enough to dissect the pills enough to know what they are made
         from.  There is still some belief of a minor sulfur style
         ingredient and a spice like taste that must be related to
         sale or like it.  But after that there is only a dead end to
         the investigation without casting dangerous magics that the
         gods likely wouldn't know how to answer or care to.

           Now at lunch May Win is finally roused up to sip water
         and eat a couple of ration bars and a meat pepper meat stick
         from a nearby village.  "I will take one of the pills."  May
         Win finally voices her answer.

           Zhou nods but adds in, "we should do it tonight at camp.
         We will need to monitor the results for a long time.  If
         we did it now while on the road it could be harder to deal
         with."

           May Win nods and agrees to this plan.

                                     *************

         [Augado 2nd, 1634TH]
         [Location: Middle Katai Plains]
         [          Crossroads town]

         [Time: 3:22pm]

           Before the party separated and went on their little errands
         some prepared for their duties and tasks.  Kiet is especially
         happy to go shopping.  not that this is a good market town
         he believes but to be away from Zhou and those duties.  A little
         noble goes a long way.  Kiet glances to Zhou for a supposed
         Katai noble he doesn't fit much of the bill.  Most Katai are
         short but Zhou is 6 foot 4 and 190 pounds.  But when he is
         dressed in his full silk tunics and darker clothes and boots
         he does seem to shrink a bit.  Course there are fat nobles here
         so the typical 5 foot black haired thin Katai is just a stereotype.
         Kiet talks privately with Kell for a few moments.

           Kiet plans to hunt for some natural magical items but knows
         this in itself is risky and dangerous.  This empire would not
         would not allow such things inherently magical to sit on some
         shop shelf.  There are bound to be guards and groups that
         get rid of such threats and suppress the shops.  Of course
         there is always pure random luck when some poor merchant
         doesn't know what he truly has.

         [Time: 7:49pm]

           For the last three hours Zhou's small group has been looking
         around the town to make their noble cover story have some merit.
         The noble and his wife do some window shop.  They even buy
         a nice diamond bracelet for Tun Au's arm.  They plan to pick it
         up tomorrow afternoon.  But Zhou really knows he'll be long
         gone by then.  The merchant will shape it up to a noble
         wasting time as it happens often.  But now if folks ask about
         them there will be a trail of some activity.

           There have been two taverns visited by the group one a large
         bar with a singer and drummer.  One a small place with exotic
         dances using veils and paint to paint their nude bodies as they
         danced.  In both places rumors are too hard to find and little
         is gained.  Though Farseeker does learn that some herbalist
         has made this edible paint that sells quite big locally.  It
         is used for romantic nights in bedrooms.  Farseeker keeps this
         in mind and is eager to tell Ben'dar.

           Now the third tavern is visited and finally some gamblers are
         working with Zhou.  Sailors, merchants, peasants, drunks and
         even guards are all great sources of info in a town.  But the
         one group most overlook is gamblers.  Gamblers have keen eyes like
         Bards and know how to find niches to fill and who to work their
         games on and where to avoid.

           "...So you say Count Dirce of Pamau has recently lost a wagon
         full of coins?" Zhou asks the second gambler to his right who
         seems to be particularly poor in cards.

           "Yep.  A guy I know won a stack full of gold and silver from
         him a few weeks back.  Seems he had to go to his cousin Baron
         Ka and get some relief money for his expenses.  He was sorely
         upset but it was a fair game. " He places down his cards
         and folds. "At least that's what my friend says."

           This is how much of the conversation goes on for the duration.
         Mostly politics and who did what to whom.  Why Lady Mia was
         suddenly sent to a private monastery for oddly 9 months while
         her butler was kicked out of the province after a severe mugging.
         How the navy was suddenly building up barge patrols in the
         nearby river due to increase in pirates.  Various rumors not
         of great use.

           Meanwhile a mile away in the nearby side street Arawn and
         Will watch the wizard teleport away.  Arawn frankly did not
         have time to say or react.  One moment it was an attempted
         street mugging the next a object was thrown at him.

           Arawn grabs the coin sized object and walks a bit down the
         alley to ensure no one is here.  He peers around crates and
         at the roofs but sees no one.  So the party has been watched.
         But for how long?  Was it after the wizard was given his
         chance to escape or before?  A faint smile comes to Arawn's
         face.  Not everyone is so anti-magic it seems.  There are
         those groups who must work as an underground support system
         or as a means to escape.  Arawn finds no one and can't react
         to no one at this time.  He considers the words.  One use
         only.  Use it wisely.  So if the party wishes to contact
         this group then they can do it only once?  He is glad though
         the wizard escaped that they saw on the road.  To think that
         person was a leader of the resistance is hopeful.

           Beaming at the thought Arawn exits the alley where Will
         is watching the street.  Such use of magic may have alerted
         folks already.  But no one but that messenger is spotted.
         Arawn glances down at the object and senses the object.
         He quickly discovers it has a light aura but a bit stronger
         than most coins touched by beings with mana signatures.  On
         one side of the bronze colored coin is a large bird with
         claws extended.  On the other side is runes of some unknown
         style that must be ritualistic.  A dangerous object likely
         to be holding onto.  So is the object a summoner or a caller
         or a teleport to the group?  Arawn can't tell but it must
         contact them in some way. But how long doss it take to get
         a reply?

           Confused Will glances at the object and then steps into the
         dim night light of the street.  Both men turn and head
         back to the tavern without speaking for some time.  They
         glance over their shoulders to ensure they are not followed.

           Upon arriving at the tavern the two enter to find Zhou
         playing with three gamblers.  Farseeker is standing at the
         bar watching a open doorway strung vertically with colorful
         beads that must lead to the back areas.  The two nod at
         Farseeker and move to the table.

           "Ahh.  Teacher Arawn.  I trust your shopping went well?"
         Zhou asks without looking away from his cards.  Zhou is
         an awful player and has many tells.  But this last hand
         he actually won a couple silver coins.  But this time
         he folds and the third gambler gets the pool.

           At that point Unali returns from the back area.  Her
         face is neutral and a bit relaxed.  Her dress is still
         in good style meaning she hasn't killed any bad guys upstairs
         at least that's good.  She stands near Zhou and pretends to
         feign boredom.

           "I think that's my cue.  Nice game gentlemen. "  He takes
         the few coins he won and places them in his coin bag.  As
         he rises to leave one gambler raises a hand.

           "In two days a big game will be held by a Jian merchant
         in the Green Globe tavern.  I hear it'll be a blast. " He
         leans over to speak more quietly.  "The tavern owner has
         some of the best drugs around."

           "Sounds interesting.  But I'm afraid I'll be gone by
         then. Good day."  Zhou waves for Farseker to follow and
         the others walk behind him.

           The group heads toward the wagon campsite eager to hear
         the results of shopping and Unali's time upstairs.  The
         group tightens up with Zhou in the center and the guards
         around him.

           Zhou takes Unali's arm.  "A nice evening for a walk isn't it?
         Though if you prefer we could get a ride?  At least it was
         a good evening.  I'm sure Kiet and the others can't be doing
         so bad and likely not in trouble with Chion to help them."

                                   ***********

         [Time: 5:48pm]

           Hours earlier at the wagon camp Raban ends the music
         teaching with Fremea for now.  For awhile the giant and
         his toy girl at least it seemed that way based on the size
         differences drew a crowd mostly of women and children to
         listen and gawk.  Raban enjoyed the audience but Fremea
         found it a bit daunting.

           Z'leyra begins to prepare a dinner but is now unsure how
         long it will be before the others return.  It could be hours
         from now.

           By now the stableboys have left and the horses have been
         well fed and groomed.  Most are simply resting now in the
         warm evening breeze.

           Ben'dar finishes tending to Tef'wo and sits down and
         watches the crowd go and come about the wagon.  He finds
         this place so open yet so crowded.  The party could've
         dealt with minor crime outside.  Why camp here in this
         busy public place?  He grumbles a bit as he considers
         the obvious lack of defense situation.

           Suddenly Caladan rounds the other side of the wagon.  He
         glances about then glances to the woods and nearby areas.
         He then enters the wagon and looks inside.  He quickly
         ducks below and then under the wagon.  He slowly turns
         to the group.  "Whitney.  He's gone!  He took all his
         stuff.  His bag and full gear.  I don't think he'll be
         coming back."

                                   ***********

         [Time: 7:10pm]

           In a tavern after a few hours of shopping the group of Kiet,
         Kell, Strie'bog and Chion find a nice evening with cool but
         not cold drinks.

           Suddenly the calm is broken when some crazed lady yells at
         Chion.  What was it?  Killing her father?  Chion?  Can't
         be but a mistake.  Then again the man has been a quiet and
         aloof one.  He is one of the ones rarely to speak and keeps
         to himself.  What do the new guys like Kiet and Kell really
         know of his past?

           Kell gulps down his ale, after all it would be a waste of
         money, then stands.  He speaks to Kiet who is also starting
         to rise and tries to tell him something over the din of noise
         now erupting.  "Let's get them and get out of here."  He then
         wades into the fight going for the table.  Thinking, "Low profile,
         that doesn't suit me, ever.  Zhou has the wrong people for low
         profile..."

           From the right of Kiet he glances to a table where a young
         couple are sitting holding hands.  The man is now holding a
         ring of some sort out to her.  The acrobat hears the female
         say something like yes and then bam the ring is knocked out
         his hand by a man thrown against their table.  Kiet shakes
         his head at the thought of a place like this to propose.

           To the left of Kell he glances to one table and notices
         a smallish dirty looking man reach over the table he is
         at and grab two beers.  the men drinking them have gotten
         up to tackle a sailor nearby.  The dirty man gulps down their
         beers and smiles.  Burping he tosses the mugs aside to show
         the fight knocked them out.  Burping again he wipes his chin
         satisfied that bar fights are always good for free drinks.

           Strie'bog stands up from the table and backs away.  He is
         not a coward but frankly is not used to a bar fight.  he
         has heard some talked about by Damon and Chion but this
         is new to him.  He stares at the bodies entwined and
         fists, chairs, mugs and even forks flying back and forth.
         What madness is this?  It was just one guy bumped into another
         and now all heck breaks loose.  Dazed by this madness he
         doesn't see a blob of yellow cheese slam into his face
         from somewhere to his right.

           Chion being a few tall person almost as tall as Raban and
         over 240 pounds looks confused by this sudden verbal assault.
         he looks up just in time to see the men bump into each other.
         Being a sailor and a partaker of many a bar fight he knows
         how this will go.  It doesn't take much for most tavern folks
         to fight.  It is a strange thing.  Men and heck even women
         get into a tight place where drinks are served and if a fork
         is dropped wrong a fight ensues.  A Ticasi scholar could
         study the oddness for years to wonder the reason.  It isn't
         so much the fight and outcome as the fun of it for some reason.

           As the female glances around to see her ally be pushed by
         a wharf worker she reaches up to help but doesn't see the
         large Chion back up and roll under the table.  It is a
         funny sight to see this large man roll under a table and
         pull the table cloth back down.  Strie'bog is amazed to
         see this action like a elephant rolling up and hiding
         inside a small tree.

           By now the fight is in full blow.  Kiet tries to wade
         past two merchants who are arguing over the best ring
         dealer in the town.  Suddenly one throws a punch but the
         Acrobat is nimble and ducks in time to see the man hit
         his table partner.   Kell dodges and weaves around others
         as well as two dozen men seem to entangle in one place
         at one time.  While his thoughts go to pickpocketing the
         guard he suddenly feels hands on his back and is pushed
         forward.  Glancing over his shoulder he spies a young
         boy of about 18 reaching for his pockets.  Kell raises
         a hand to block and pushes back.  The boy comes away
         empty handed and steals nothing.  Kell shakes his head
         in disgust and raises a finger to warn the boy and places
         one hand on his belt where his weapons are.  Most bar
         fights escalate to maybe clubs of mugs and chairs.  But
         one standard rule is no blades.  Once you use blades it
         is personal and out of control.  The boy backs away only
         to trip over one fallen man and stumble into the table of
         two older men trying to finish their rice bowl.  The rice
         sprays everywhere and sprinkles down like a rain.

           Happy Kell turns around just in time to find one
         female waiter runinng his way to avoid the fight.  She
         is tripped and her metal platter goes flying straight
         for Kell's face.  Smack!  Kell is thrust backwards and
         finds his eyes shine with fireworks.  He mumbles a few
         words of Elf curses and the platter clangs to the floor
         as the female crawls away.

           By now the female who threatened Chion turns around to
         find him missing.  But she notices the table wobbling.  She
         kicks it and topples it.  The dishes and candle goes tumbling
         to the ground and the table reveals no one.  Chion is
         gone and there doesn't seem to be a trap door.

           Strie'bog glances down and then around.  no one to be seen.
         Chion could be a few feet away or half a continent away now.
         He sees Kiet make his way to the table and the acrobat stares
         down in confusion to where Chion is.  Strie'bog makes a sign
         with his hand raising a finger and twirls it in a circle with
         the finger pointing up.  Kiet gets the hint that Chion must've
         teleported away and the rope maker backs away.

           Kell recovers from his fast food serve and finds it more
         bruising than broken nose.  Strie'bog points to the door and
         Kell realizes Chion is missing.  Kell decides the guards could
         be coming any minute now so makes for the door.  Strie'bog
         quickly goes to the side of the room and makes his own way.

           As Kiet backs away one of the female's allies grabs him.
         "You know the guy?!  Where did he go."

           Kiet plays dumb and shakes his head.  The back of his
         head becomes wet with sloshed thrown beer.  Great that'll
         be sticky tonight.  As the large man holds Kiet by the
         collar he reaches down with his right hand and grabs a
         slink of rope from his belt.  Never know when a lasso of a
         chicken is needed for the master's snack.  He drops the rope
         to the floor and tries to back away.  He grunts when the
         man fails to step inside the open lasso.  His neck becomes
         tight from the choke hold and doesn't have the strength to
         break free.  He tries to break the hold and considers going
         for his dagger but the man would snap his neck.  He considers
         his options.  He saw Raban do this once or twice.  He moves
         closer and butts the man in the head.  Owww!  Raban didn't
         say it hurt that bad!  The man breaks the hold and staggers
         back right into the lasso!  Kiet yanks and closes the lasso
         around his foot.  While strength to strength Kiet would have
         no good odds there is the laws of motion.  The man is moving
         back and forth from the head butt.  This brings his body
         of mass and stance wild.  the pulled rope yanks the mans
         leg out from under him.  The man falls back into his two
         buddies behind him.  Kiet releases the rope knowing he
         won't get it back but better that than his life.  He heads
         for the door with the others.

           Racing out of the tavern the trio get into the dark street
         just in time to hear glass break at the bar from something.
         The trio look around for Chion but doesn't see him.  They
         quickly move down the street.  Walking slowly they notice
         a patrol of 5 guards run toward the tavern passing them by.
         Kell panics and realizes his hat was off as he was punched
         when due to it falling.  But now it was off as he checked
         his head.  But it was too dark and they couldn't see him
         clearly with his long hair.

           Turning two streets they suddenly see Chion leaning against
         one store front wiping his nails as if dirty from a day's
         work.  He is quiet as they join him and they all walk quietly
         back to the wagon camp.  Chion doesn't explain the encounter
         other than she just being a "crazed woman."

           Kiet and Kell look at each other and can't help but grin.
         Some fun in town is always good.  To think just hours before
         they were doing well shopping....

                                   ***********

         [Time: 4:08pm]

           Hours before the tavern bar fight the group spend a great
         deal of time in the markets.  As they walk toward the good
         markets Kiet and Kell speak to each other.

           "Awesome!  Now I won't have to wait on Zhou.  Hey, Kell...how
         about you teach me more about weapon trading or any other kind
         you know.  Sadly, the one I know isn't of much use unless you
         want to get high."  Kiet then adds. "I'll tell you what...I put
         up the cash and you teach me the trades.  The best part is you
         get to keep all of the profits...no risk to you.  If we lose on
         the trade, it's my problem.  How can you pass up a deal like
         that?" Says Kiet with a BIG grin on his face.

           Kell replies back, "Kiet, I will be happy to teach you.  All I
         know, and more!  I can help teach you about spears and some armor,
         I'm skilled in both.  Like you I'm learning more specialties.  I
         want to learn more about silk, Katai silk is wonderful.  Great
         profit taken home to Ba'Ru."

           "Now we need to find more smaraug, and pearls.  And Jade too.
         Are you a tanner by chance?"

           "No," Kiet shakes his head, "sorry. Not a tanner.  Jeweler.
         Herbalist.  Most of my skills were learned as I grew up, like
         climbing, teamster and smuggler while others were better learned
         as part of my hidden craft...as we don't use that dirty word
         here."  Kiet smiles at that, although a bit forced.

           "I'd like to check out the jewel trade from Teos.  That sounds
         fascinating.  I'd like to see what kind of rare offerings they
         have.  Most of the traders I know of would kill for part of that
         trade."  Kiet pauses to consider Kell's words. "Jade?"  Kiet
         looks puzzled.  "Why jade?"

           the group walk into the noisy markets.  They need Chion to
         be the Katai patron else the group would be tricked or
         cheated badly being foreigners.

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: A big update but I wanted to do more in the market
             scene.  I'll do that next update guys.  The results
             of the shopping and such.  So for now its a good enough
             end for this update.  For the baroness thing I need to
             know what you wish to do like in terms of spells or
             music playing or such skills.  I'll finish that scene
             with those details.  I know its hard to tell what to
             do without knowing the results.  But you can do a generic
             what if-then if you need to.  I will work on this scene
             likely Wednesday night since it might be big and alot
             of number crunching.  So try to get those things in by
             then if at all possible.

         GM: Labor day is coming up next week so means folks might be
             out of town.  I may do a very light update then.  I'll
             be off Sunday but working Monday so can do a light update
             but don't expect much from you guys if you have vacation
             plans.  So don't worry.

         GM: The mana and stat reports will be updated likely next
             update.  This assumes mana may be used for Julis 30th
             the night the baroness will be treated.  If you need
             the updated figures for spell checks let me know

         GM: Groups -
             Ben'dar/Caladan                     - Horse maintenance
             Fremea, Raban, Whitney, Z'leyra     - Wagon
             Farseeker, Unali, Zhou, Arawn, Will - Tavern
             Kell, Kiet, Strie'bog, Chion        - Market

         GM: IBT notes [12 days]

               Player           Notes
             Ben'dar         12 Days Plains survival
             Caladan         5 days Sign language, 7 days Stealth
             Chion        *  No IBT actions submitted
             Farseeker       12 days Katai language
             Kell            Unarmed Combat finish, Marital Arts learn
             Kiet            12 days Teamster skill
             Raban           12 days horsemanship & Fletcher arrows both
             Strie'bog       6 Days hand-to-hand, 6 days Bowyer
             Unali           12 days Two-weapon fighting
             Whitney      *  No IBT actions submitted
             Will            12 Days First Aid learning
             Z'leyra         6 days Tailor skill, Teach first aid
             Fremea          12 days Herbalist and private skill
             Arawn        *  No IBT actions submitted

             Deadline: September 1st ***

         GM: Current day - Julis 29th Stats - Event: Patrol scene

               Player     Health  Energy  Mana   Notes
             Caladan        100%   100%   100%           ----
             Strie'bog      100%   100%   100%   Minor wound left
             Z'leyra        100%   100%   100%           ----
             Chion          100%   100%   100%           ----
             Raban          100%   100%   100%           ----
             Whitney        100%   100%   100%           ----
             Ben'dar        100%   100%    --            ----
             Farseeker      100%   100%    --            ----
             Unali          100%   100%    --            ----
             Kiet           100%   100%    92%   Still mana to recover
             Kell           100%   100%    97%   Energy level didn't recover
             Fremea         100%   100%    62%           ----
             Will           100%   100%    57%   Need to recover energy
             Arawn          100%    90%    90%

             Health - % of Max (if 100 hpv, at 50 hits would be 50%)
             Energy - % of Max (if 100 enl, at 50 enl  would be 50%)
             Mana   - % of Max (based on daily energy level casting limit)

         GM: Reminder of trip time
             Julis  30 - All day    -   30 miles travel to Crossroads
             Julis  31 - All day    -   30 miles travel to Crossroads
             Augado  1 - All day    -   30 miles travel to Crossroads
             Augado  2 - 7am-3pm    -   20 miles Arrive at Crossroads
             Augado  2 - Day/Night  -   Likely stay in town overnight
             Augado  3 - All day    -   20 miles Travel to Pamau
             Augado  4 - All day    -   20 miles Travel to Pamau
             Augado  5 - 7am-3pm    -   20 miles Arrive at Pamau