[pnpgm] Game Update #45 - File #416 - Kell fights thieves

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Tue Oct 20 08:05:21 CEST 2009

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 2 Donkeys

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #45 in sequence (file #416)

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea understands what Shu has asked her and she nods. She is
          keeping quiet this time as to not interfere with anything, and
          keeping a watch on the procedings to make sure all goes the way
          it is supposed to go.

          After hearing what this guy can do, she is now very concerned
          about being seen magically. She knows that Arawn is much more
          powerful than she is, however if she is to go places herself,
          there could be an issue. She will need to learn what to look for
          in how people are looking at her with their "senses." Speaking
          up, "Do you also see items? And what seems to work best to stop
          you from seeing them?" After getting up stairs, she finds a quiet
          place, locking the door (if Raban follows her, she will ask him
          to come in the room), so no one can come in and checking for any
          issues with windows or secret/trapped doors. After she is
          satisfied with the room, she will let her windows out and stretch
          them a bit. She will also do a little bit of hovering to keep
          herself in shape.

          Once Shu is done with her tracking ability, Fremea will put her
          disguise back on and head back with the others.
        GM: Ack. Tracking ability? Did I miss something?

        From Ben'dar: [Re: Actions]
          Ben'Dar sees the stack of parchment in the youth's hands and
          feels the sinking feeling inside he often feels when confronted
          by the red tape of "civilization".  He brightens as he thinks of
          a way to cut the time of the paperwork.  "No, I'm fine." he
          replies.  Turning toward the corner of the room, he pulls down
          his pants and begins urinating on the wall.
        GM: Ack. Should've gone before you left the ship!

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          Arawn doesn't eat or drink anything while at the inn/tavern.
          Arawn doesn't seem to react much when word of Tiehul's power...
          "...Zhou speaks up. "I think if my friends don't have...

          -  Upon hearing this Arawn leaned in and whispered quietly in
          Zhou's ear...

        [Julis 7th, 1634TH]
        [Location: Jiuquo, Katai]
        [Weather: Partly Cloudy, Temperatures: 65-85]

        [Time: 1:16pm]
        [Location: Brass Mug Tavern]

          As Tiehul goes to get more drinks from his bar, Zhou reaches
        up to his temple and rubs them.

          Farseeker asks him, "what's wrong?"

          Zhou blows out a short breath and places his hand back on the
        table. "I just hope the others don't bring attention to themselves.
        That is the last thing we need.  I just have this odd feeling..."

                            -----------------

        [Time: 1:25pm]

          The young solider inks his quill and begins to mark a few
        items on the first scroll.  He continues to ask the basic
        questions as he makes notes on replies.  He glances up to
        see Ben'dar still standing and stares at him.  He asks the
        barbarian if he needs to leave the room to use the outhouse
        yet again.

          Ben'dar looks at the young face who oddly reminds him of the
        local Sivas tax collector that visits his ranch.  The fools
        in Marentia believe in records upon records and archives of
        those records to have records of them.  He knows he isn't a
        paper pusher like those in the government district of Sivas
        and Maren but the land seems to thrive on it.  Sure King Maros
        can wave a hand and action is done.  But in the end it is
        the paper pushers who really get the job done pushing one stack
        of money to another stack by columns of numbers.  Ben'dar
        found the concept of the administrative duties annoying.  That
        is why he hired his ranch steward.  Leaves him free time to
        break horses and make money.

          Ben'dar recalls Damon sailing his merchant ship up the river
        and then having to spend 3-4 hours doing paperwork on the deals.
        Then it hits him, Damon mentioned there are ways around paperwork.
        Some as complex as bribes or ignorance.

          Ben'dar glances over at the always quiet Chion but his face
        is expressionless as usual.  Yet if they searched his horse
        and found that "shovel" it would all be over.  Ben'dar then
        glances at Will and Z'leyra who look forward seemingly eager
        to answer the youth's questions.

          Ben'dar perks up, "No, I'm fine."

          The youth nods quickly and turns his attention to Chion as the
        only native of the group he must be the leader.  Most Katai
        only respect foreigners with a native patron as Zhou warned.
        "This shouldn't take long its all regulations.  Then we'll
        get your bounty reward-"

          Ben'dar having turned around drops his pants and moons the
        youth.  The youth suddenly stops talking in confusion and then
        Ben'dar begins to urinate in the far right corner of the room
        on the wall and down onto the carpet.

          The young guard drops his parchment and suddenly jumps to his
        feet.  "Are you insane?!"  With Quill still in his right hand
        he rounds the desk.  "What are you doing!?"   He rounds the
        chairs passing Chion.  "You can't do that!"  He reaches out
        with his empty hand to touch Ben'dar's right shoulder.  "You
        fool!"

          Ben'dar turns around slowly and the spray hits the wall and then
        lands onto the youth's boots.

          "You barbarian!  I just had those cleaned!  You..."  He looks
        to the others.  Then to Chion, "is he your slave?"  He glances
        back to Ben'dar who stands a good foot taller than the youth and
        maybe 40 pounds more.  He realizes it might not be good to protest
        too much.  "You ....need..."

          By now the others have turned to see what the trouble is.  Chion
        just glances over and shrugs.  Will glances briefly over and
        sighs and then looks forward.  Z'leyra gets quite a eye full and
        then turns back around.

          The youth suddenly steps back shaking his boot.  "You just earned
        a night in jail for that at the least!"  He then turns to the
        door and opens it.  He steps out and looks around.  He sees another
        guard down the hall. "Major!  Trouble up here.  Come quickly." He
        then looks at the nearby guard and speaks softer. "Send for Kaj
        we have an..." He steps out into the hall and closes the door.
        Then the group hears a click as the door is locked from the
        outside. "an idiot in here."

          Ben'dar redresses and leans to the wall.  He hears a muffled
        voice say, "Kaj?  I don't want to clean up the gore and body
        parts this time.  You do it."  Then hears feet stomping down the
        stairs.

          Ben'dar smiles to himself that at least the paperwork has been
        ended.  OF course the group is now locked inside a windowless
        room upstairs of a jail with unknown guards inside not including
        the barracks to the side which could have dozens of guards.

          About 15 seconds later a group of heavy footsteps is heard
        running up the stairs.  Muffled voices are heard outside and
        then a click at the door as it is unlocked.

          Major Lai steps into the room with sword in hand.  Outside
        Ben'dar notices at least four guards.  They are whispering about
        bets on something it seems.  The Major ignores them and closes
        the door.  he glances at Ben'dar and the carpet.  He shakes his
        head.

          "That boy was a big mistake.  You earn a night in the jail for
        that at least.  Your friends may suffer for it as well."  He
        walks behind the desk and sheaths his sword.  He crosses his
        arms but doesn't sit down.  He glances at the paperwork.  "Was
        it that hard to fill out?"  He glances at Chion.  "Are they
        educated?" He tilts his head at the other three.  "Looks like
        any bounty is now forfeit.  Those coins will have to go to
        clean up and new carpet.  Assuming we don't levy fines for this
        act of stupidity."  He finally sits down and pushes back a foot.
        "Now what are we going to do about this and how much jail time
        do you think you deserve?"

          Ben'dar glances back at the wall and hears a croak of the stairs
        as someone, who seems rather large, climbs the stairs.  Then
        suddenly the whispers outside stop.

          The Major looks at Chion and raises a hand, "you as their patron
        are responsible for these barbarians.  You could get a night in
        jail along with him."  He sits back and sighs.  "This is why
        Katai is the home of civilization.  All other people are just
        barbaric simpletons.  Now look I have to fill out a incident
        report and that means paperwork *I* have to do."  He raises
        a hand and looks at his fingernails.  "My hands are for killing
        fools." He raises an eyebrow and looks at Ben'dar quickly then
        back at Chion. "Not for paperwork.  Now what are we going to
        do about this situation?"

        [Time: 1:28pm]

                            -----------------

        [Time: 1:25pm]
        [Location: City Street near Market]

          Kell faces three threads and wonders how he got into this
        situation and why isn't Kiet here?  He weighs the odds.  It
        is 2.5 to 1.  The sword thug is the biggest threat.  He isn't
        Farseeker who could probably handle this battle with eyes closed
        or Ben'dar who could handle it swiftly.  But he did practice
        some fighting on the ship.

          Kell stands up straighter and draws his tulwar, readying himself,
        and says "Not hurt me? Not hurt me?" This in an extremely haughty
        voice and with disdain for the street thugs. "Do I look like a
        little lamb to you?" Swinging his tulwar in a flash. "How about
        this. You three give me back my money, and we call it even."
        Swinging again, this time he also shows a bit of his armor to
        the thugs.

          Ha'Kell can't stand these thugs now and won't shed a tear over
        them no matter what happens.

          Ha'Kell steps away from the wall two steps and gives the
        ultimatum with scorn to the thugs, "I should make you give me
        all your money, but I'm no thief. This is your last chance. Give
        me my money and walk away for another day." He steadies himself
        and forms a fighting stance, for only fighting with his tulwar.
        Missing his shield and helmet for this, but his tulwar skill
        should be up to the challenge. He faces the two men and awaits
        their answer.

          The two thugs stop in stare at the victim who has become a
        possible threat.  They assess the man in his odd hat and cloak.
        Both men glance at each other then shrug.  "Your right," says
        the shortswordman. "We give up.  We'll turn into good boys."
        He pauses as he lowers his sword. "Tomorrow."  Then both men
        charge forward.

          The shortswordman lunges forward and thrusts.  Kell tries to
        parry with his own Tulwar but fails.  The sword hits under
        Kell's arm and into his middle left chest just under the ribs
        and lung doing 3 points of first drawn blood.  Kell cringes
        in pain but knows the wound isn't critical.

          Kell steps back and then thrusts toward the dagger man but
        pulls a feint and twists under and then up toward the sword
        man's lower left abdomen just above his hip doing a minor 3
        point wound.

          The dagger thug swipes his dagger at the throat of Kell and
        hits lower doing a long cut in his upper right shoulder doing
        4 points of damage.

          The sword thug slices down and Kell misses the blade by
        a half inch but instead of slicing torso the blade knicks
        his right arm doing a minor 1 point slice.

          Kell thrusts again at the swordsman and stabs high in the
        upper left shoulder doing a massive 7 point blow deep into
        his shoulder.  Blow spurts out onto Kell's tunic and the
        thug goes down onto the ground not moving.

          The dagger thug sees his chance and takes it and thrusts toward
        Kell.  But Kell sees it at the last second and pulls his tulwar
        up.  but the dagger stabs deep into the right arm of Kell into
        deep tissue and tearing it up doing a very painful 7 point blow.
        Kell grits his teeth and howls while he drops his tulwar.

          Behind Kell the boy having gotten into position stabs his knife
        forward toward Kell's back but the blow goes wild as Kell staggers
        forward from the blow and misses entirely.

          Kell knows his tulwar arm is useless and if he bends down to
        get it he'll be a target.  With his off-weapon hand he reaches
        down with his left hand and grabs his dagger.  He pulls it out
        and thrusts it back at the dagger thug.  The dagger hits the
        thug in the lower left chest doing 5 points of damage.

          The thug now wounded decides this battle might be too much.
        He staggers back and turns down the alley and runs.

          As Kell turns to face the boy he suddenly feels the back of
        a dull knife his the side of his temple.  As his vision blurs
        he sees the boy looking at him with a smile and Kell falls
        face down onto the ground.

        [Time: 1:27pm]

                            -----------------

        [Time: 1:16pm]
        [Location: Brass Mug Tavern]

          Shu asks Uncle Zhou if she can leave the boring talk and head
        upstairs to rest.  When in reality folks know she needs to prepare
        for her spell ritual.  Fremea also understands her offer to stretch
        her limbs in more subtle ways.  Fremea watches quietly and nods
        ever so slightly to Shu in understanding.

          But the idea of going upstairs seems less tempting when Fremea
        hears what Tiehul can do or rather sense.  She becomes concerned
        about this and wonders how many in the nation could be born this
        way?  She quickly does the math which she is only fairly confident
        in.  If 7 million means 1 percent would be 7,000.  So at least that
        many could be around?  With Zhou's numbers of at least 1/7th of
        the population in the cities that could be rounding up at least
        700 such people in the cities.  She seems to recall at least
        20 cities so 35 folks in each city just on the numbers.  She sighs
        in frustration at the odds stacked against the party.

          Arawn declines something to drink even after drinking stale water
        and warm wine on board for days.  Tiehul notices how some seem
        reluctant to drink.  "Its not poisoned.  Drink up."

          Farseeker sniffs at his first ale and has been sniffing it.
        "We've just had bad luck with poison."  he then takes a deep
        swig and finishes off the ale.

          Zhou swirls his own wine the barkeep gave him initially.  "Our
        benefactor on this trip trusts him.  So do I." Then he also
        drinks up and has no immediate reaction.

          Arawn doesn't seem to react much when word of Tiehul's power
        comes to light but his eyes lock with the man's for a second
        before drifting thoughtfully off to the side. A man like Tiehul
        would be a treasure to a country such as Katai and likely the
        government was constantly on the lookout for those rare individuals
        possessed of such abilities. He was about to ask the man how his
        ability worked in hopes of finding a way to best mundanely defend
        against it when Fremea spoke up, obviously wondering the same thing
        as he.

          Fremea turns to the bar and looks at Tiehul as he selects the
        drinks.  His own aura is level with that of Farseeker's though
        slightly more intense in vibrant blues and reds.  So likely he
        is a mere human with no magic training but this innate ability
        gives him an edge over Farseeker in some ways.

          Fremea speaks to Tiehul. "Do you also see items? And what seems
        to work best to stop you from seeing them?"

          Tiehul stops in his tracks and puts a bottle down on the bar.
        "Please don't tell me you brought...items as well? He shakes
        his head and grabs another bottle from the back mirrored wall.
        "Blocking is just as easy as sight.  Clothing can obscure such
        things.  I'm sure if you covered every inch of skin you could
        block your own presence.  Same with items."  He places the drinks
        and some food on the tray and carries it toward the table.

          "I quite the business some eight years ago."  He begins to sort
        out the ales, wines and other drinks to those who wish it.  As
        he does some look at the man carefully to figure out his age.
        He has a dark mustache and those Katai eyes with wrinkles.  He
        is physically fit so that can reduce age.  But he looks to be
        in his mid-40s.  "Most folks we...found..were those who made
        stupid mistakes.  Folks just forget and walk in the open or
        past detection.  I think sometimes they want to be found. " He
        finally sits down. "I'm not trained like some of you.  So
        I do not know all the methods to attempt to block detection.
        Some work and some don't.  I can tell you of at least three
        groups in this city I'm familiar with.  But for the three I
        name there might be a dozen more I don't know about."

          Arawn hears his reply and considers it.  Finally Arawn speaks
        up to the tavern owner. "With the wide array of sensors across
        the nation, relatively speaking, how safe is it to perform certain
        basic level... 'tasks' while in the countryside and away from
        cities, villages or wagons? Does it still have a decent risk of
        detection when in a wild or rural area?"

          Tiehul takes a piece of bread and spreads honey on it.  He
        smiles at the code this group is speaking.  Clearly not wanting
        to see the M word.  In this land even speaking it could be
        dangerous.  "Less of a risk yes.  Cities are the most dangerous.
        I'd say Katai city itself is near impossible for any tasks even
        with my...skills of distraction.  I would not venture there at
        all.  On the average only 1 or 2 Heretics are actually caught
        every month or two months in any one city.  In on average you
        might have 6-15 in one city and so about 100-300 Heretics a year.
        At least that is what the Mater General reports.  I'd say those
        facts are high and maybe 10% of that is likely true.  I just
        don't know.  In Jiuqou here they caught one only 3 months ago.
        To date I believe only three total this year and its half over.
        Now how many do they actually catch and don't publicly execute?
        Who knows. "  He takes a few bites of bread and pauses.  "The
        chances decrease in the wild.  It isn't like every two miles on
        the road there are sensors.  Of course the military does say
        there are such things.  But it is not realistic with the amount
        of roads and money involved.  There are certain groups that do
        work outside the cities.  These roam the roads and use mobile
        detectors in hopes of finding passerbys.  Those bounty hunters
        tend to be less rich I suspect.  Now I do hear there are...
        tasks to do regional detection.  Those were only used by the
        elite of the groups and so I am not privy to such details.  But
        rumors and propaganda is that they can search for at random times
        random specific tasks.  In hopes to detect it and then send out
        hit squads.  This is the very thing with my distractions.  They
        don't likely have the accuracy to pinpoint exact streets so
        the more tasks in a city the more blinded they are."

          "Again I've been out of the bounty hunter work for years and
        was only a low operative.  I didn't enjoy the work so quit.
        I never went up the chain so didn't get all the secrets.  So
        if you rely on my information take it with known risk."

          Shu gets up after a finishing her fruit and drink.  She heads
        to the stairs and Tiehul gets up to escort her.  He stops at
        the base of the stairs.  "There are 8 rooms empty.  Each has
        one bed.  That should fit all of you unless there are others?
        The first room on the right is the barkeep's home.  But take
        any room you like.  We normally don't rent out unless we are
        in need so they stay empty for guests."

          While Tiehul is away from the table, Arawn leans to Zhou and
        whispers a few things.  Zhou nods twice and then shakes his head.
        he whispers back to arawn.  Arawn then sits back and grabs the
        bag he prepared from his horse.  Tiehul returns to the table and
        sits back down.

          Zhou turns to face Tiehul again as a couple of riders pass the
        window of the tavern on the street.  "We are in need of a wagon
        maybe two.  But we could use your...expertise on using all aspects
        of a wagon to transport material items."

          Tiehul raises an eyebrow and grins halfway.  "Your benefactor
        speaks highly of my skills.  I'm not as good as some people in
        the southern cities.  Since we only get the single visitor from
        the land of the north we don't have use for wagons.  But this
        isn't to say I don't have access to some.  In fact I have one
        wagon that might suit your needs.  Every so often a lord in the
        west will be restricted of weapons building up by the Master
        General due to violence in the mountain villages and so called
        atrocities.  We help those victims with their own means by
        sending in materials to them."  Farseeker grins knowing that
        likely means smuggling arms across the province.  "It should
        fit your needs.  In fact it is back of the tavern and easy to
        find.  Your free to inspect it.  How often do you wish to rent
        it?"

          "Rent might be hard to do as we don't know if we'll be back."
        He squirms in his chair.  "Our funds are running a bit low
        but we could reach some agreement later."

          Tiehul nods.  "It is out back by the outhouse and the storage
        shed you can't miss it."

          "Fu Sa and Whitney you two should go do that inspection to see
        if it will do us good.  Until our friends get here to do a
        better investigation."  Zhou suggests.

          Fremea stands up and heads to the stairs.  Quickly Raban also
        stands and follows.  Raban stops her and as protector heads
        up the stairs first.  But when Fremea realizes that a towering
        hunk of man could fall on her and crush her she chooses to go
        first.  Once upstairs they find a room next to Shu on the back
        side of the tavern.  Both enter and inspect the room.  There
        is only a small single bed, dresser with small mirror, water
        basin, candles, light carpet, nightstand and single chair.  The
        single window looks out back to the back of shops about 50
        feet away or so. To the left is indeed a full sized covered wagon
        and small open wagon.  Also out back is a small shed and outhouse.
        Raban searches for hidden areas but finds nothing.  As Fremea
        closes the window curtain, Raban turns around to give Fremea
        some privacy.  Fremea takes off her stuffy disguise and whips
        out here wings.  She begins to hover and get some exercise.
        She finally lays onto the bed in her normal cloths that were
        under her dress disguise.  Raban turns and smiles at the wee
        Faerry.  Fremea relaxes a bit before knowing she should go out
        to inspect the wagon but knows its not a normal thing for a child
        to do.

          Downstairs Arawn pulls out two scrolls from his bag.  The
        first is a picture.  he hands it to Tiehul who inspects it.
        Arawn asks if he recognizes the mountain.  Tiehul studies
        it but shakes his head. "I don't visit the mountains much.
        They are hundreds of miles away.  They all look the same to
        me.  But I suspect the closer you get to the mountains some
        local folks might know it."  He hands it back to Arawn.

          Zhou had whispered not to mention Vong by the name as Tiehul
        didn't want to know the details of their mission.  For safety
        on his part and the party it is best that way Zhou figures.
        So Arawn simply hands over the Vassa scroll found months ago
        during the Bova cabin battle to save Bohusara.  Tiehul reads
        the scroll written in Katai.  He finds the scroll brittle due
        to the heat spell that destroyed the cabin and damaged the
        scroll itself. It reads as follows:

          "The Plan is set in motion.  Nom has seen to connections in
        ---- ---- (missing ink or destroyed].  The Brain is almost ready in
        Rising Mount.  The House is supportive.  Major operations [burnt
        text here but looks like word "are"] are in action. Soon the time
        of [---destroyed text---]-Harla will be set.
          Product will be expected in one season.  Be careful of locals.
        kill anything that hinders Product.  Nom will send Attendant to
        collect Product.
          You are only to oversee Product development not interfere in
        operations of Growers.  No contact should be made unless in extreme
        emergency."
          At the bottom of the scroll is some symbol of what could be a
        animal wrestling another animal as if in a circle one on top of
        each other.

          Tiehul stands up again suddenly.  "I did not want to know your
        details of why you are here."  He begins to pace. "This puts
        me in danger as well as you now.  If I'm questioned or worse."

          Zhou sighs, "I understand.  This letter is vague for those
        details.  But do you recognize any of the points in the letter?"

          Tiehul stops and looks down again at the scroll.  He shakes
        his head. "House if this is written in Katai has to be on of
        our noble houses.  But there are one for each province.  Which
        one?  I have no clue.  Rising Mount?  I've not heard of the
        term.  I'll have to ask my network.  Sounds like a nickname
        of some kind.  Nom is that a place or name? Another thing
        I don't recognize.  I'll have to ask that as well." He looks
        up at Zhou. "But you realize the more I ask the more visible
        this investigation can become."   He hands the frail scroll back
        to Arawn. "You all are clearly here for some reason.  I don't
        care what that reason is.  I will try to obtain some information
        by the morning."

          "There is one thing I would like to ask." Zhou finally asks.
        "Have you heard of creatures seen around Katai with strange
        armor or items?"

          "The fringes of the Empire always has such reports for centuries.
        The deserts to the west tell of giant monsters like scorpions
        that hunt men down.  But to particular events?  No.  Do these
        creatures have a name or should I even dare to ask?"

          "They do." Zhou answers curtly.

          Tiehul paces back and forth again.    "I'm going to regret
        this I can feel it.  Say it."

          "Vong." Zhou speaks the word quietly almost barely vocal.

          Tiehul nods.  "I will ask.  I will have to make these questions
        into my network discreet even more so.  I will have to use
        middlemen so it can't be traced."

          Finally Tiehul turns to Zhou. "Your benefactor is going to use
        up a lot more favors than farfella falls here tonight I suspect..."

        [Time: 1:31pm]

                            -----------------

        [Time: 1:28pm]
        [Location: City Street near Market]

          Kell bolts awake from being knocked out.  Face down on the
        street he pushes up to find his hat has rolled off.  He glances
        around and sees the thug on the ground but the other thug is
        gone.  He also sees no boy.  Grunting he grabs his hat, his
        dagger and pulls himself up.  He grunts more as his injured
        right arm is burning.  He places his hat back on and realizes
        the boy might have seen his true self.  He grumbles and then
        looks around.  Faintly north are tracks in the sand.  Based
        on the size and the known prints where the boy stood it takes
        Kell a few seconds to acquire the boy's trail.

          Cursing himself for being taken by a boy he follows with dagger
        in hand down past two shops.  One shop is a scribe shop and the
        other is a bakery that appears closed.  Kell follows the track and
        turns left which leads back to the market.  As he does he notices
        the boy down the alley counting new money taken from Kell's
        limp form.  Cursing the half-elf stumbles down the alley enraged
        at being taken from again.  As he does the boy sees him and turns
        and runs.  AS he does he passes a wooden ladder.  He decides to
        climb it up toward the roof of another shop.  The shop itself
        looks to be a tailor shop but Kell isn't sure.  As Kell who is
        faint from blood loss and wounded gets to the ladder he grits his
        teeth as he tries to climb it.  But his wounded arm is aching and
        too useless.  He curses at the boy to stop.  As the boy gets to
        the top and begins to climb over the last rung Kell shakes the
        ladder with his good hand.  The ladder vibrates and dust and
        stone fall down from the chipped side of the building.

          The very old ladder begins to moan as the boy pulls one leg
        over the side of the roof.  As he does the top of the ladder
        cracks and the left side of the ladder comes loose from the
        side of the building.  The boy loses his balance and suddenly
        the coin bag in his hand drops to the ground in a cloud of dust.
        The boy curses down at Kell but realizes he has lost his hard
        ill gotten goods.  The boy climbs up onto the ladder with his
        stomach and shoulders and rolls onto the roof.

          Kell looks up knowing the boy could get away as he can't climb
        it now.  he leans down to grab the coin bag which holds his
        coins.  As he does the Boy kicks the other side of the ladder
        off its grip and Kell rolls tot he side to miss the ladder bashing
        in his head by a few inches.

          Kell glances down at the street where the buy market is going
        on.  No one has seen the action but doesn't want to draw more
        attention.  He realizes the boy likely has an escape route
        planned and knows these buildings and streets better than Kell.
        He did get his coins back, or at least most he hopes.  He
        pockets the coin bag and stumbles back to the combat sight.
        Checking the thug he finds him unconscious but losing blood.
        He might not make it.  But Kell decides to get out of sight
        to not get arrested.  Kell begins to walk down the empty
        side street toward the area of the south end of the market
        where their stall is.  As he does he wraps his arm with a
        piece of shirt from the thug to stop the bleeding.

        [Time: 1:31pm]

        Actions? Comments?

        Next Update...Friday...

        GM: For my memory so I don't have to keep checking:
            Unali, Arawn, Raban, Shu, Fremea,Whitney,Farseeker,Zhou-Tavern
            Ben'dar, Chion, Will, Z'leyra                   - Jail
            Caladan, Kell, Kiet and Strie'bog               - markets