[pnpgm] The gods war...

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Thu Nov 19 08:27:45 CET 2009

No update friday....
no update monday...

Where is he?

	Tuesday night 11/10 I couldn't get online even though just hours earlier I could.  These things happen.  Hours turned to days and days to a week.  I checked everyday but when I did tonight 11/18 it surprised me and I got online.  If I had known I would've been on this afternoon and worked on update for Friday.

Problem is I have no way to contact the ISP.  For some reason the phone # used for them is not working that has worked for over a decade.  No.  Its not one of these huge ISPs where you call and get charged for tech support or talk to some guy in India.  Its a small local (down state) one.  I've been loyal to it for over 15 years.  I'm big on loyalty.  But even I have a patience threshold.  I sent three letters (covering all bases) by snail mail 11/12.

	I don't know if things "fixed" itself or they did.  I'm just glad to be back.  Over the years this has happened before.  Usually its the access domain or some username shift that is required.  Router goes down or for some reason username is invalid.  Over the years I've just called and fixed it in minutes.  But now I can't.

	So tonight I get online and notice over 100 emails.  Wading through them I'm down to 6.  I notice spam filter only had oddly 57 on the isp site.  That seems unlikely as I get over 100 in 3-4 days.  I have it delete I believe at 200 so I dobut it deleted tons in the week.  This might imply something more serious occured on the ISP.  Dunno.

	I noticed some reports of a virus and 8 spam emails of my virus email protection talking about the same virus.  It could be a worm that took down the isp routers or email? I dunno.

	But so far all is well.  I see only 3 emails for the pbem in the last week.  This oddly happened last time this occured when I was down for a week few years ago total of only 3 posts. :<  Go away and figured everyone would talk all the options out on the voting.  Oh well.

I see no post from Wout or Chion so will have to move on and use the majority of what has been voted.  I've not read the new posts will do that soon.  Catching up.

Chances are low for a Friday update.  I'm off tomorrow (Thur) but with heavy TV (flashforward, fringe, etc.) that night and tons Friday may not have time to work on it.  Would've worked on it actually tonight but bed in less than hour.

Good chance of a update Monday as I'm off Monday.  So will work on update this weekend.  Move the party along on the trip...

Assuming I can still connect....fingers crossed...

So FYI if this occurs in the future and I'm gone that's likely the reason.  I'll try to send a snail mail note to Alex and notify him after a week or more to warn you guys.  I now also have a phone # (much needed) to a backup ISP.  If I'm gone for almost a month I'd likely go to the backup as my 2nd isp in 25 years.

Any way just a heads up.

I'm back for tonight...tomorrow we'll see :)

Stay tuned...