[pnpgm] Game Update #50 - File #447 - Votes taken for route

john haight sang_real at msn.com
Thu Nov 12 23:21:31 CET 2009

   Scott, just curious on the estimates you've listed for travel by boat. Zhou mentions near the end of the post that the boat trip should take 6-10 days under average wind conditions but you have listed right after that a time of 60-100 days under the same conditions (listing the boat traveling at 6-10 miles a day). I'm guessing that the latter might be a typo as Zhou's stated estimate makes more sense.
   The average speed of ancient merchant vessels floats between about 1.5 to 6+ knots with the average seeming to float between 2 and 5 (most sources I've seen appear in the 2.5 - 4+ category) knots with an average rate of distance covered usually between around 50 to 100+ nautical miles a day. The lower range usually indicative unfavorable winds and the higher range favorable wind conditions. Examples of logged journeys from ancient sources have trips from Troy to Alexandria (550 nautical miles) lasting 7 days at 3.3 knots; Rhodes to Alexandria (325 nautical miles) lasting 3 days at 4.5 knots; and Alexandria to Marseilles (1500 nautical miles) lasting 30 days at 2.1 knots.
   I'm guessing based on this that the correct number is 6 to 10 days, as Zhou mentioned. Hopefully this will help anyone out that is deciding between land and water travel (though I'm sure some will still prefer land for other reasons:)