[pnpgm] Game Update #50 - File #447 - Votes taken for route

Scott Adams longshot at cybermax.net
Tue Nov 10 08:45:31 CET 2009

  R1.John Haight...........Arawn.............Druid  .Normal/Alfar  Ma
  ??.Chris Wells...........Ben'dar...........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.Tom Corckett..........Caladan...........Wizard  Normal/Human  Ma
  W2.Marcel Liberty........Chion.............Sailor..Normal/Human  Ma
  W3.Ryan Torres...........Farseeker.........Warrior.Normal/Human  Ma
  --.Tobie Bonahoom........Fremea............Sidh....Normal/Faerry Fe
  R2.Mark Murtha...........Kell..............Trader..Normal/Human..Ma
  Do.David Sanders.........Kiet.Sunan........Acrobat Normal/Human  Ma
  R4.J H Hooten............Raban.Usherwood...Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  W2.Robert Maxwell........Strie'bog.........Bard....Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 NPC...................Shu.Yeoh..........Wizard..Normal/Human..Fe
  W4.Wout Broere...........Unali.............Ninja...Normal/Human  Fe
  ...Thomas.Magann.........Whitney...........Scholar.Normal/Human..Ma
  R1 John.Stowman..........Will..............Hunter..Normal/Human..Ma
  R4.Alex Koponen..........Z'leyra...........Healer..Normal/Human  Fe
  R1 NPC...................Zhou Kiwat........Noble...Normal/Human..Ma
     Animals: Corona [Eagle] Z'leyra, Tef'wo (Horse) Ben'dar, 2 Donkeys

  Cover Story Info: [HD- House member, F-Foreigner, N-native non house]
     Arawn      aka Arawn         as Teacher to daughter [F]
     Ben'dar    aka Bu Da         as Horse expert        [F]
     Caladan    aka Ca Lu         as Guard/Archer        [N]
     Chion      aka Capt. Chu Mai as Sailor Trustee      [HD]
     Farseeker  aka Fu Sa         as Guard               [F]
     Fremea     aka Lin Mong      as Noble child         [HD] [Disguised]
     Kell       aka Swan          as Trader              [F]
     Kiet       aka Kiet Sunan    as Zhou's servant      [F]
     Raban      aka Toban Nu      as Entertainer/Guard   [F]
     Strie'bog  aka Sun Zhu       as Entertainer         [N]
     Shu        aka Shu           as Niece               [HD]
     Unali      aka Tun Au        as Zhou's wife         [HD]
     Whitney    aka Whitney       as Herbalist/Tailor    [F]
     Will       aka Sun Tzu       as hunt master         [F]
     Z'leyra    aka Kakita Junami as Healer              [F]
     Zhou       aka Zhou Wa       as Baron Noble         [HD]

     Game Web Site - http://www.funport.com/longshot/pbem
     Private emails (not public actions) to longshot at cybermax.net

     Game Update #50 in sequence (file #447)

        From Whitney: [Re: Actions]
          Whitney, who should be in a university somewhere trying to earn
          tenure, shake shis head, "No, actually, they didn't. Most ...

          Of course, Whitney still being a teenager by some months knows
          EVERYTHING. And, in his defense, the library where he learned it
          all was heavily  shaded to Balance, a pantheon both new, as such
          things go, and with  an agenda. Poor kid.
        GM: Ack.

        From Kell: [Re: Actions]
          [Argh!  Didn't realize it was morning, my bad.  Kell was
          drinking tea and not beer, unless there are beerios.]

          A bit later after the massage and treatment Ha'Kell finds
          Z'leyra, "Thank you for helping me.  This is now two things...
        GM: Ack.  No problem on beer. Not a big issue.  This is why I
            include the [date..location..time] marks so folks can tell
            where and when a particular scene takes place.  Also I
            use it to format so when know what part of the conversation
            to react to and follow-up on.  So the markets are for players
            and for me as reference current and past.

        From Kiet: [Re: Actions]
          Kiet is listening intently to all that is said, obviously
          keenly  interested.  After the talk winds down a bit, he says,
          "I believe we should head inland toward the west.  For one...

          ...at that thought.  Perhaps his name should be Whitless instead
          of Whitney...?
        GM: Ack.

        From Fremea: [Re: Actions]
          Fremea stays back out of the way of all the over driven ideas
          and opinions. After hearing the report, she quietly says, "It
          seems that the best route is by boat, taking the wagon with...
        GM: Ack.

        From Arawn: [Re: Actions]
          OOC: Oops! I hadn't meant for Arawn to heal Kell unless both
          Tiehul didn't have reservations on the use of Mana Shield as
          well as the entire party was okaying it. As Caladan and Tiehul
          didn't seem keen on it I had thought that would have been enough
          to meet the criteria for not casting it but I guess I hadn't
          worded it clearly. Sorry about that guys:)

          Scott, as it doesn't seem to affect anything in the last post as
          far as major revisions, would it be possible to say that Arawn
          also cast Mana Shield at max EL on Kell as well? I realized that
          I hadn't worded the direction properly (as I listed it 'and/or')
          and would have detailed it if I thought I was going to cast. The
          'and/or' was because I was unsure if I would need to cast Mana
          Shield on myself (as I'm casting the spell) or on Kell (as he's
          The recepient) or both. If he wouldn't know then he'd have cast
          it on both to be safe. My fault. Sorry about that Scott.  Anyways,
          hopefully I haven't thrown the party into too dangerous a
          situation and will be more careful in the future:)
          Arawn listened intently to Tiehul's report, remaining quiet as
          the others shared their thoughts. When things seemed to quiet
          down a bit he spoke up.

          "Though I feel our answer lies to the south it makes sense...
        GM: Ack.  Well you must realize Tiehul is a smuggler-merchant
            not in the least knowledgeable about magic.  So shield to
            him means little.  He just rather not have the risk of it
            done in the tavern so it was your risk to do and then to
            expose the group/tavern.  He did give his view but also
            as to getting the ok from the party could take weeks. As
            you can see we don't have everyone talking right now.  At
            least 4 are too busy to do anything.  So this is why I
            say take a majority opinion or just do it.  As to the fix
            on action nah.  The action was done.  The other spell
            could've changed things in terms of dice rolls and might
            have done a new situation.  Everything from a massive
            failure to wipe Kell's brain clean to detection and attack.
            So that's too late.  Plus things could be in motion and
            best to leave some suspense! :)

        From Z'leyra: [Re: Actions]
          Those watching Z'leyra closely while the discussion about natural
          magics took place would have seen her roll her eyes.

          She does respond "Like so many before you and likely after this
          as well... you are arguing semantics. Different languages...

         [Julis 7th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Jiuquo, Katai]
         [Location: Brass Mug Tavern]

         [Time: 3:10am]

           A bit later after the massage and treatment Ha'Kell finds
         Z'leyra, "Thank you for helping me.  This is now two things I
         owe your for, the first being the payment for the voyage here.
         If there is anything I can do for you please ask or let me know."
         He gives her a brilliant smile and a respectful yet small
         sweeping bow, taking her hand in his in thanks.

                        ----------------------------

         [Julis 8th, 1634TH]
         [Location: Jiuquo, Katai]
         [Location: Brass Mug Tavern]

         [Time: 7:10am]

           As Tiehul prepares the tavern and cleans up from the previous
         night the party waits for Unali and Chion to answer Zhou's
         question.

           Whitney who thinks he should be in a university somewhere
         trying to earn tenure, shakes his head, "No, actually, they
         didn't. Most of them weren't even around at the start, including
         all the so called human ones. They DID however, break it. Some of
         the very oldest elder gods date back to the beginning of time and
         all old and new, parent and child, have hand a hand in shaping
         what has come since they came into being, and since they broke
         the World into three parts, making a variety of servants and the
         like, but creating the world they are a part of? Where, then, did
         the first ones come from?"

           Caladan shakes his own head and glances at Arawn as the newest
         member of the party speaks.  After gauging for some emotional
         express on the Alfar's face he glances back at Whitney.  He
         wonders if Whitney even knows he is talking to a direct
         descendent of a god who has seen gods and knows them well.
         When Whitney finishes up, Caladan simply raises an eyebrow.
         "Exactly my point.  Who came first..."  With that he only
         glances away for Whitney to figure out since he seems to
         know it all.

           Kiet groans quietly, but out loud, and then sighs as his head
         drops to his hand.  He starts thinking to himself that getting
         information out of this one would be no effort at all.  The
         question is how would you ever get him to shut up?!

           Kiet is obviously bored with the topic and discussion, as it
         all seems so pointless.  About as useful as boots on a python.
         Kiet smiles a bit at that thought.  Perhaps his name should be
         Whitless instead of Whitney...?

           Fremea just rolls her eyes at the conversation about magic.

           Those watching Z'leyra closely while the discussion about
         natural magics took place would have seen her roll her eyes.

           She does respond "Like so many before you and likely after this
         as well... you are arguing semantics. Different languages have
         different degrees of inclusion in such a concept as you were
         arguing about. Even within those speaking the same language
         differences exist. Your argument is unlikely to resolve anything."

           Z'leyra continues "I STRONGLY suggest that you be more careful
         in which words you use while here in Katai, unless you wish to
         attract those that hunt such of us as use voice and motions to
         do 'tasks' that if observed might frighten the populace."

           Farseeker laughs slightly.  "I can see it now.  Some old lady
         over a pool of water scanning for evil doers in the land.  She
         comes to us hearing the "special words".  But when this talk
         of natural magic comes she keels over from boredom before she
         can warn folks.  Thanks Whitney!"

           Farseeker turns to Whitney and bows his head. "I'm impressed.
         To meet such a person who knows such things.  It is super rare
         to have not one person who has been to the Ticasi great schools
         in our group but surely you must've attended as well!  By chance
         did you know a person named Varange?  He knew it all and never
         was wrong in anything he said.  You and him might get well
         together."  He grins slightly in the teasing.

           As others begin to discuss methods of travel, Caladan turns
         to Zhou.  "Speed is a factor.  So by ship might be the best
         way for us.  So that's my vote."

           Never the quiet one Kell offers his opinions when the time is
         right. "I can take a copy of the logo from the scroll and see
         what I can find.

           Never the quiet one Kell offers his opinions when the time is
         right. "I can take a copy of the logo from the scroll and see
         what I can find.  Around to merchants and shipping companies.
         If we stay here another  day and decide not to leave, or wherever
          we go.  Either way, I'd like  a copy of the logo so I can ask at
          merchants and shippers."

            Thinking back to the map he studied as well, "Shantou and
          Katai city being on the same highway scare me.  I do not want
          to go through Katai city."  Pausing and looking at Arawn and
          Fremea, "I doubt any of us want to go through it.  Sailing south
          to the mouth of the river seems a good plan.  If we need to go
          further south we're there, and if we need to go northwest into
          Shantou we can use the river.  But I defer to Unali and Chion as
          the leaders, of course."

            Pausing in thought, then reaching some point, "Aren't there
          mountains fairly close to Shantou?  The picture of a mountain on
          a scroll?"

            Farseeker finishes off his ham and turns to Kell.  "The problem
          with that logo is that it could very well belong to a secret
          society.  If that is the case you asking around could be
          as dangerous as walking around the Palace with a staff and using
          a magic light ball of light to lead your way.  It could draw
          as much attention.  If its as simple as a simple merchant logo
          then not so much.  but we must consider that risk.  Same with
          the Vong.  If we just ask the average person then word can spread
          back to them.  Assuming they are smart enough to have ears
          open for folks finding them.  If they are here as scouts for
          an invasion they have to be on a infiltration operation now
          which means stealth and secrecy.  As with any vile scum they
          might have other scum working with them.  A poor Katai warrior
          out of luck and money might find work even for strange looking
          creatures that can afford to pay him.  While millions might
          turn and run or kill the creature there is always a small part
          of this large empire that is bound to be working with them."

            Kell considers Farseeker's warnings then turns to Shu.
          Asking Shu, "When can you perform the next ritual?  Is it
          possible to do it here before we leave?"

            Shu shakes her head, "doing so here would waste time and
          energy.  As I said the ritual needs wide locations to be
          effective.  Consider this room..." she waves to the four
          walls of the tavern.  "If I was using a ritual to locate
          say a grain of salt.  I could go into that corner and do
          the ritual.  I would then get a feeling it would be this
          way and that." She first points to the north-east corner
          and then waves west and south.  "I then could go to say
          the opposite corner." She points to the north-west corner.
          "Cast it again.  I would then feel the grain would be more in
          this side or that side." She waves east or west. "Let's say
          it detects it more to this side." She waves to the west side
          of the tavern.  "I then go into that corner and cast it again."
          She points to the south-west corner. "I would then be assured
          that the grain is either further that way or this way." She
          waves north and south. "By doing it three times I can then
          round it down to one-quarter of the room rather than searching
          the entire room.  Assuming this room is the empire and the
          ritual has range limits as an example.  Doing it further
          in this process rounds it down to a area.  Let's say I
          detect it this table.  Repeating the process I could then
          locate the grain to this area the size of my hand." She
          places the hand on the table. "I then simply look and there
          it is.  Detection rituals are range limited so they have to
          be done a few times to pinpoint or get general directions.
          Doing it here or even a dozen miles from here would benefit
          little.  But if we do go to Shantou province then doing it
          there might make a difference like moving to another corner
          of the room."

            Kiet is listening intently to all that is said, obviously
          keenly interested.  After the talk winds down a bit, he says,
          "I believe we should head inland toward the west.  For one thing,
          the coast of Katai is where most of the people are.  The west is
          somewhat less densely populated.  The sea provides much for so
          many people.  Anyway, the Vong probably have been working in an
          area they can control. The less populated areas probably better
          suit their needs."

            Zhou nods to Kiet's opinion in acknowledgement.

            Fremea stays back out of the way of all the over driven ideas
          and opinions. After hearing the report, she quietly says, "It
          seems that the best route is by boat, taking the wagon with us,
          so that we miss a lot of possible issues of detection. I do not
          like this place much, so the sooner we can find these creatures
          and deal with them, the better. Plus, it will give us more notice
          as nobles that we can afford a ship to carry us to any province
          or city that is near water."

            Zhou nods again, "another great idea.  Though I suspect such
          nobles would be above a count for such opulence."

            Arawn listened intently to Tiehul's report, remaining quiet as
          the others shared their thoughts. When things seemed to quiet
          down a bit he spoke up.

            "Though I feel our answer lies to the south it makes sense to
          travel west towards Shantou. A second scan near Shantou should
          help Shu narrow things down considerably. As Kell mentioned there
          are mountains near there that might prove connected but the tales
          of the southern swamps still draw my attention. Those we seek
          grew their items in select waters and a swamp is anything but dry
          but it is a large place to begin our search. Shantou also allows
          Master Tiehul a chance to send information our way through his
          contacts if we should arrive safely."

            "As for travel by land or water, I'm with Fremea on this, take
          the wagon with us but travel by boat for now. It will minimize
          the chance of close inspections or the danger of being forced to
          visit Katai as would likely be expected of a travelling noble. If
          the boat is too small for the wagon then perhaps the wagon could
          be driven to Shantou to meet us."

            Zhou nods yet again, "more excellent points.  I would think they
          would expect us to indeed stop in Katai.  Houses like to keep
          tabs on each other.  So a meeting would likely be done by
          our presence in the city or even province of Katai.  The other
          cities not so much but we could be expected for such even in
          Shantou if we are too public."

            Arawn waits for Tiehul to enter into the tavern from the
          small storage room. "Master Tiehul, how long is the journey by
          land and by boat? Would it be possible to have a coach meet us
          if need be?"

            Tiehul puts down the bottles of wine onto the back of the bar
          area and turns around to face the party. "Distance? I would
          have to do some thinking.  I thought you were taking the wagon?
          If you take your ship...ahh you want me to send the wagon?"
          he places a hand to chin and nods slightly. "That could work.
          I could arrange for a delivery of certain items I would need
          to send to Shantou.  Need not waste a trip for nothing after
          all.  I'll get back to you on how fast a team could get there."
          With that he walks back into the storage area.

            Arawn gives the burnt scroll for Kell to study.  Then he
          turns to Will.  "Will, I thought I heard of your talent as an
          artist. Would you mind sketching a copy for Ha'Kell?"

            Caladan considers the talk for some time. "Each path we travel
          has its good and bad points.  Going by land we could overhear
          more rumors in villages.  But we'd have to deal with guards
          in outposts or road stations.  We might learn more rumor stuff
          but not as much until we got into the city.  Going west over
          the plains about the same thing but we'd likely bypass most
          guard stations or outposts.  Going by sea means we'd likely
          dock in less areas hearing less rumors.  The Captain also
          reported there is more piracy on the rivers.  We'd have to
          worry about them though personally I'm sure we rather deal
          with those folks than the Katai military.  Ship sounds faster.
          But it will be difficult for the horses.  Z'leyra will have
          to do some talk convincing to get them back on the ship.  After
          all they thought they would be off it for good.  If I have
          to vote I'd say ship for speed but will go with the group."

            Farseeker nods as he drinks his tea.  "Horses!  I'll be
          depressed to go back on the ship myself much less the horses.
          But speed is a factor and stealth the issue.  I agree with
          what Caladan says."

            "I was hoping to go by land to explore it." Shu adds in. "Living
          your whole life in a forest means exploration like this is a
          rare thing.  So I vote for a land route but don't care if its
          by road or plains.  I don't know how long we'll be here so
          all that I can see would be good.  Of course the same thing
          could be seen from a ship but leads less to the pleasing eye."

            Zhou folds his hands on top of each other. "All valid good
          points.  I suspected this type of situation might come up.  This
          is why I didn't order the ship off.  We must consider the Captain
          will charge us for the trip.  He isn't here for our service.
          But is here for profit and helping us.  I'm low on coins after
          the wagon.  Looks like the majority of those who have voted
          so far seem to indicate the ship is the best way.  I tend
          to agree but will wait till I hear more views."

            As Arawn waited for the meeting to end Arawn's eyes drifted to
          Whitney. The man had many thoughts on the subject of magic and
          worldly creation. He would have liked to have shared his thoughts
          but knew that it would only serve to delay the meeting and likely
          annoy their host. Perhaps in the days and nights to come he might
          have a chance to share thoughts with the librarian.

            Tiehul returns to the table but remains standing.  "I have
          done some thinking.  There are two roads one west and one
          going south both leading to Katai.  Going west is about 320
          miles going south is 260 miles I believe.  So going south
          saves some time.  Then its another 100 miles to Shantou.
          So 360-420 miles depending on route taken.  A good coach driver
          could get 30 miles with his team.  He would stop and rest and
          maybe even use another relay team if he was a company driver
          for some cargo company.  But for me a driver would take 12-14
          days to get to Shantou.  He would need expenses paid to
          deliver the wagon.  One could go over the plains and go north
          of Katai and use some of the road.  This would take 400 miles
          roughly if my math is right.  But that may be off as much
          as 200 miles depending on how good the driver is and doesn't
          get lost."

            Zhou does some quick math. "If we as a group went by those
          routes we'd be as slow as the donkey.  So by highway it
          would take us 20-23 days.  By plains as a group it would take
          22 days or so."

            Tiehul then continues. "If you take the coast by ship and
          then down the river that if my math is right is about 600
          miles. Give or take a couple hundred."

            Zhou nods, "then it would depend on the winds.  Based on
          average winds it would take 6-10 days if those winds kept
          up or much less or more.  Since we'd be using normal methods."

            Farseeker adds, "don't forget roads add to travel time.
          This is why the Empire has them.  The army can travel from
          place to place faster.  Come to think of it I wonder if the
          roads would indeed be faster than the ship..."

         Actions? Comments?

         Next Update...Friday...

         GM: Votes on route
             [A-Ship by river            B-Wagon/Land by road
              C-Wagon over plains        D-Other]

             Arawn    -  A     Ben'dar  -  ?    Caladan  -  A
             Chion    -  ?     Farseeker-  A    Fremea   -  A
             Kell     -  A     Kiet     -  C    Raban    -  ?
             Strie'bog-  ?     Shu      -  B/C  Unali    -  ?
             Whitney  -  ?     Z'leyra  -  ?    Zhou     -  ?

              Vote: A-5, B-1, C-2, D-0, ?-8
             Total: 15, Majority 8 votes

         GM: Distance calculations

             Distance estimates
               Highway to Shantou - 360-420 miles estimated
               Plains to Shantou  -     400 miles estimated
               Ocean/River        -     600 miles estimated

             Speed of Travel
               Wagon driven alone -      30 miles/day
               Ship speed         -    6-10 miles/day [average winds]
               Party speed        -      18 miles/day [donkey speed]

             Road bonus: +50% speed

             Time Estimates
               Wagon alone/road   -     8-10 days
               Wagon alone/plains -       14 days
               Party/by roads     -    13-16 days
               Party/by plains    -       22 days
               Party/by ship      -   60-100 days*

             * If winds stay average.  If not could be as bad as 60 days
               if the wind sucks to as fast as 15 days if superior winds
               hold out 100% of the trip.  Assuming no talisman is used.

         GM: Small update for now.  I'll still wait to see if any more
             votes come in or based on the math above votes change.
             Warning - I got DVDs for my vacation this week.  I saw
             5 in the last 2 days.  But 6 more Tuesday-Thursday.  So
             I should do fine for 2 a day (usually see 3 movies a day
             on days off anyways).  But in case I can't the friday
             update could be at risk.  But I'll try to work on it Wednesday
             night some.  It might be small like this.  Then next
             monday I'll go with what is majority voted and we'll move
             on from there.  Happy Veterans day!  To all those who serve
             past and present THANK YOU!